ALCS Game 2 Thread: Tigers at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: ALCS Game 2 Thread: Tigers at Red Sox

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Wow, so Carp looked terrible last night.

Wow

So did Ellsbury, Pedey,Vic, Ortiz, Nap, Ross, Salty, Boggy, Drew, Nava, Middlebrooks....

Carp looked terrible?  Sanchez made EVERYONE look terrible.  This is why I don't bother finishing 95% of your stuff...Wait, you're right - JBJ would had gotten 2 hits last night LMAO

Carp has not seen much action since he hit grand slam at Trop in mid september!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

the start times for these games are an absolute joke. 12:05PM would be ideal, or at the very latest 6:05PM.

Can you imagine sitting in the cold autumn air at 11PM and it is only the 7th inning, and then 12:30AM and the score is tied? Then a 40 minute car drive home.

If the game starts by 6 then entire games will be watched by fans....  rather than 8PM where by 10:30 50% of the fans have tuned out.

Absolute bologna.

Absolutely right... TV is the master that setups all this jazz!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

really V-Mart is the solution? as if Salty was the only thing that went wrong last night

that and the fact that VMart spent all 2012 injured would have made last season even more enjoyable; AND also a little detail, V-Mart is NOT a catcher anymore

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:

really V-Mart is the solution? as if Salty was the only thing that went wrong last night

that and the fact that VMart spent all 2012 injured would have made last season even more enjoyable; AND also a little detail, V-Mart is NOT a catcher anymore

I NEVER infered that V. Mart was the solution to our pathetic offensive performance last night. Thank you Sherlock but I did know he was injured and does not catch anymore. And as he is now a DH, I would never infer he should replace Ortiz. But as Napoli was a catcher & is now a 1st baseman, Martinez too was a catcher and also a 1st baseman. But let me not infer but state very affirmatively, I'd rather have Martinez than Napoli and I'm Italian not Latin(HA!).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Tigers lineup: Jackson 8, Hunter 9, Cabrera 5, Fielder 3, Martinez DH, Peralta 6, Avila 2, Infante 4, Kelly 7. Scherzer gets the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe12m

Tigers are sitting Iglesias. Peralta at SS and Kelly in left.

Expand

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Tigers lineup: Jackson 8, Hunter 9, Cabrera 5, Fielder 3, Martinez DH, Peralta 6, Avila 2, Infante 4, Kelly 7. Scherzer gets the ball.

No Sox order yet?... Craving for it....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m

Hunter said the #RedSox will "come back with a vengeance" tonight.

Expand    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham - Boston Globe, Red Sox Beat Writer

Leyland said the Tigers won Game 1 because they kept Ellsbury off the bases.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

the start times for these games are an absolute joke. 12:05PM would be ideal, or at the very latest 6:05PM.

Can you imagine sitting in the cold autumn air at 11PM and it is only the 7th inning, and then 12:30AM and the score is tied? Then a 40 minute car drive home.

If the game starts by 6 then entire games will be watched by fans....  rather than 8PM where by 10:30 50% of the fans have tuned out.

Absolute bologna.

I completely agree with you. My days start early..usually between 4:30 and 5AM. There is almost no chance I will be up to see this entire game..unless it goes the way of yesterday's NLCS game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It'll be surprising if Nava sits.  But it won't be surprising if Naps does.

It looks like Nava's sitting tonight. I thought he did better against right handers...and he got the only hit of the night last night so I am a little surprised he is sitting.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:

I NEVER infered that V. Mart was the solution to our pathetic offensive performance last night. Thank you Sherlock but I did know he was injured and does not catch anymore. And as he is now a DH, I would never infer he should replace Ortiz. But as Napoli was a catcher & is now a 1st baseman, Martinez too was a catcher and also a 1st baseman. But let me not infer but state very affirmatively, I'd rather have Martinez than Napoli and I'm Italian not Latin(HA!).

The good news is that Ortiz has fantastic numbers against Scherzer...so tonight may be a little different offensively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It'll be surprising if Nava sits.  But it won't be surprising if Naps does.

It looks like Nava's sitting tonight. I thought he did better against right handers...and he got the only hit of the night last night so I am a little surprised he is sitting.

Gomes has been great in clutch situations, todays  game is a clutch game, from the first pitch, play Gomes all the way, give him four at bats... Hit Papy third and play Carp... That is imvho our best bet... Welcome Lady luck, was not at Fenway last night...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

No Sox order yet?... Craving for it....

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 5m

#RedSox: Ellsbury CF, Victorino RF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Carp 1B, Gomes LF, Saltalamacchia C, Drew SS, Middlebrooks 3B + Buchholz P.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

#RedSox: Ellsbury CF, Victorino RF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Carp 1B, Gomes LF, Saltalamacchia C, Drew SS, Middlebrooks 3B + Buchholz P.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Alex Speier/WEEI      

Shane Victorino said he's continued to work on left-handed swing to keep option open, could consider it vs. Scherzer

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Better than last night...now we need Buch at his best...play small ball and lefties must aim the Monster... Concentration pitch by pitch...play by play... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/10/alcs_game_2_tigers_at_red_sox.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Buchholz vs. Scherzer

ALCS Game 2: Tigers at Red Sox

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  October 13, 2013 04:20 PM

Good afternoon. Here are the lineups:

RED SOX (0-1)

Ellsbury CF
    Victorino RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Carp 1B
    Gomes LF
    Saltalamacchia C
    Drew SS
    Middlebrooks 3B

Pitching: RHP Clay Buchholz (12-1, 1.74).

TIGERS (1-0)

Austin Jackson CF
    Torii Hunter RF
    Miguel Cabrera 3B
    Prince Fielder 1B
    Victor Martinez DH
    Jhonny Peralta SS
    Alex Avila C
    Omar Infante 2B
    Don Kelly LF

Pitching: RHP Max Scherzer (21-3, 2.90).

Game time: 8:15 p.m.

TV/Radio: FOX / WEEI, ESPN Radio.

Red Sox vs. Scherzer: Ortiz 7-15 (3 HR), Pedroia 4-17 (2 HR), Napoli 1-13, Drew 2-11, Ellsbury 5-9, Salty 5-12 (1 HR), Nava 1-9, Victorino 2-10, Carp 2-8, Gomes 2-6, Middlebrooks 1-6, Ross 1-4.

Tigers vs. Buchholz: Hunter 4-24, Cabrera 5-21, Jackson 5-19, Peralta 5-17, Avila 2-8, Infante 2-8, Fielder 1-6, Martinez 0-6, Dirks 2-5, Santiago 0-4, Kelly 1-3.

Stat of the Day: The team that lost Game 1 has has won the ALCS seven of the last 13 times.

Key matchup: Ortiz has hit Scherzer well over his career. The Red Sox need their cleanup hitter to come through against a pitcher who is very tough on righthanders.

Notes: The Red Sox were 1 for 29 on Saturday night, not getting a hit until Daniel Nava singled with one out in the ninth inning. ... Buchholz is 2-1, 3.58 in eight career starts against Detroit. He has not faced them since June 30, 2012. Buchholz is 0-0, 4.09 in two postseason starts in his career. ... Scherzer is 2-4, 7.02 in eight career starts against the Sox. He is pitching for the first time since throwing two innings of relief in the Division Series on Tuesday. Scherzer faced the Red Sox twice this season and allowed four runs over 14 innings. He gave up 11 hits, walked three and struck out 14. ... Red Sox pitchers have a 2.62 ERA in five postseason games. The bullpen has allowed two ER over 13.2 innings. ... Peralta shifts to shortstop after playing left field on Saturday. He is 8 of 16 with two extra-base hits and six RBIs in the postseason. ... Cabrera has reached base safely in 30 consecutive postseason games.

Red Sox hitters in the postseason: Ellsbury 9-22, Victorino 6-18, Ortiz 5-17, Pedroia 4-19, Middlebrooks 3-15, Salty 3-11, Drew 2-18, Gomes 2-9, Naopoli 2-16, Nava 2-8, Ross 1-6, Bogaerts 0-1.

Song of the Day: "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

"Key matchup: Ortiz has hit Scherzer well over his career. The Red Sox need their cleanup hitter to come through against a pitcher who is very tough on righthanders"

Agree with quote above, thats  why I wanted Papi hitting third, closer to Ells...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's near idiotic to sit Nava for Gomes against Scherzer. There must be some unknown split issue where Gomes has hit Scherzer well historically or Nava is sick or hurt. Nava has been one of their better performers so far in the playoffs, in the games he has been in. He wasn't playing in the first 2 games where they scored all the runs but he has drawn walks well and he did have last nights only hit plus one other hit if I remember correctly. I absolutely would start Nava this game unless Farrell knows something we do not.

Sections
Shortcuts