ALCS Game 3 Thread: Red Sox at Tigers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: ALCS Game 3 Thread: Red Sox at Tigers

John Lackey fires 6 2/3 stellar innings, Mike Napoli crushes HR as Red Sox defeat the Tigers, 1-0, to take a 2-1 lead in the ALCS. RECAP:http://atmlb.com/168OkRO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Side note, all you guys blowing up Farrell this inning are ridiculous.  Its a tight dogfight game.  Just channel your nerves and take it in.

I am not blowing up Farrell, I think he is a good manager. I just would have gone with Uehera. He is sick.

I wasnt directing that at you 37.  It was at the "way to lose it John"/bad manager barrage.

Basically, you're saying Farrell mismanaged his way into shutting out the Tigers?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Side note, all you guys blowing up Farrell this inning are ridiculous.  Its a tight dogfight game.  Just channel your nerves and take it in.

I am not blowing up Farrell, I think he is a good manager. I just would have gone with Uehera. He is sick.

I wasnt directing that at you 37.  It was at the "way to lose it John"/bad manager barrage.

Basically, you're saying Farrell mismanaged his way into shutting out the Tigers?

Not sure who you are talking to but neither me nor Space inferred that at all. If I think a different pitcher should be used in a situation that does not mean that I think Farrell "mismanaged" anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Wow! Koji is amazing. I got so nervous after Victor's hit that I put the DVR on pause and vacuumed the rug.  Then waited and played it fast forward. LOL! Go Sox!

What a ridiculous thing to do.  You should've been a man about and did the dishes like I did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Reading this game thread. I have to laugh at some of the recurring themes.  1 - Napoli stinks.   2 - Farrell is an idiot. Does not know how to manage a game.  3 - McCarver is incompetent and biased against the Sox.   Here is the reality :  1 - Napoli had the game winning home run.  2 - Farrell managed the game beautifully. Pushed all of the right buttons , as he has done so often this year.  3 - McCarver is at least half way over the hill , but he made some very good points and called things fairly for both teams, giving credit where it was due. The overall pre game , game itself and post game were very well done. ..... I do my share of complaining , but it seems like some complain just to hear themselves complain or to parrot other's opinions. Finally , it is preposterous to re- evaluate players or managers every at bat or every inning.  This was a great, dramatic and suspense filled game. Two best teams in the A.L. going at it.  Two outstanding managers calling the shots. There was nothing to complain about. 

Farrell did great job with pen.  I agreed with him taking out Lackey but I didn't want Taz, but that was debateable.  No one, however will ever convince me that not bunting in the eighth was smart.  That was stupid managing.

Verlander is tough to bunt against.Middlebrooks is a power hitter. He is not a good bunter. There is a good chance that the bunt would not have worked.  Middlebrooks could have driven in the run with a hit , or moved him over if he hit it to the right side. Drew was in scoring position as it was. Why give up an out in the hope that the bunt works and Ellsbury hits a sac fly ?  The percentages are not too good. We had three shots to get a base hit and drive him in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Reading this game thread. I have to laugh at some of the recurring themes.  1 - Napoli stinks.   2 - Farrell is an idiot. Does not know how to manage a game.  3 - McCarver is incompetent and biased against the Sox.   Here is the reality :  1 - Napoli had the game winning home run.  2 - Farrell managed the game beautifully. Pushed all of the right buttons , as he has done so often this year.  3 - McCarver is at least half way over the hill , but he made some very good points and called things fairly for both teams, giving credit where it was due. The overall pre game , game itself and post game were very well done. ..... I do my share of complaining , but it seems like some complain just to hear themselves complain or to parrot other's opinions. Finally , it is preposterous to re- evaluate players or managers every at bat or every inning.  This was a great, dramatic and suspense filled game. Two best teams in the A.L. going at it.  Two outstanding managers calling the shots. There was nothing to complain about. 

Farrell did great job with pen.  I agreed with him taking out Lackey but I didn't want Taz, but that was debateable.  No one, however will ever convince me that not bunting in the eighth was smart.  That was stupid managing.

Verlander is tough to bunt against.Middlebrooks is a power hitter. He is not a good bunter. There is a good chance that the bunt would not have worked.  Middlebrooks could have driven in the run with a hit , or moved him over if he hit it to the right side. Drew was in scoring position as it was. Why give up an out in the hope that the bunt works and Ellsbury hits a sac fly ?  The percentages are not too good. We had three shots to get a base hit and drive him in.

i get all that but how many hits do you expect to string together vs JV?  Easier to score on an out of course

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nomar was on WEEI today, gale He said Verlander is one of the toughest pitchers to bunt against. Bunting is not as easy as some make it sound

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

i get all that but how many hits do you expect to string together vs JV?  Easier to score on an out of course

First off , you cannot assume that the bunt would have been successful. Drew could have been out at third. Second, Ellsbury probably has as good a chance of getting a base hit as hitting a sac fly. We did not have to string a bunch of hits together there. Just needed one. We had three chances to get that hit. If the bunt was successful, we had one chance to score on an out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Nomar was on WEEI today, gale He said Verlander is one of the toughest pitchers to bunt against. Bunting is not as easy as some make it sound

Exactly. Even a good bunter could have trouble. Middlebrooks is not a good bunter. He had a better chance of getting a hit or hitting it to the right side than of laying down a good bunt against Verlander.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Hey friends, we won,  that is all that matters, remember the famous Clemenceau quote after the first world war: " Victory cannot be prosecuted"... insofar as MacCarver, put your tv in mute and listen to Weei... Much more fun!.... Great job Lackey, Koji, Nap and the whole team...Go Sox

Pacem in terra.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151668207996766&set=a.10151668202896766.1073741839.39399781765&type=1&theater

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Wow! Koji is amazing. I got so nervous after Victor's hit that I put the DVR on pause and vacuumed the rug.  Then waited and played it fast forward. LOL! Go Sox!

What a ridiculous thing to do.  You should've been a man about and did the dishes like I did.

LOL. I did those later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I agree that Verlander is tough to bunt against, and it may not have worked but I think they should have taken one shot at it.  Better chance of it being successful than Will hitting him or moving the runner IMHO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

LOL. J-B. A friend, who's a Red Sox fan said his Mother did that when the Sox were losing...and it worked! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I am going to relax and enjoy this win the rest of the night.  Night all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

What I heard earlier is that Verlander is very tough to bunt against.  I just looked it up and he has only allowed 2 sacs this year.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Farrell thought MB had a better chance of advancing him with a long fly, a grounder to the RH side, or a hit.

I'd have NP with a bunt either, but I can easily see why teams wouldn't want to bunt against Verlander.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not sure who you are talking to but neither me nor Space inferred that at all. If I think a different pitcher should be used in a situation that does not mean that I think Farrell "mismanaged" anything.

I was being both sarcastic, ironic, and facetious.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

What I heard earlier is that Verlander is very tough to bunt against.  I just looked it up and he has only allowed 2 sacs this year.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Farrell thought MB had a better chance of advancing him with a long fly, a grounder to the RH side, or a hit.

I'd have NP with a bunt either, but I can easily see why teams wouldn't want to bunt against Verlander.

I guess that since Sox won, its now a non issue.  Its just interesting baseball talk.  That's the fun part about the game.  Everyone has an opinion and no one ever knows for sure if something will work, including major league managers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

What a hard fought win for the Sox.  A complete turnaround from the first 15 innings after which I thought we are going to get swept by Tigers to a 2-1 lead in the series.

This turnaround is just incredible, and on the flipside must be horrible for the Tigers fans.

All made possible by that one swing of the bat by Big Papi, which may have been the turning point in this series.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I was being both sarcastic, ironic, and facetious.

Or as Boston mayor Tom Menino would say, you were being iconic!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://wapc.mlb.com/bos/play/?c_id=bos&content_id=31143969&partnerId=as_mlb_20131016_13183884&topic_id=60133816

John Lackey proved too strong for the Tigers this afternoon. Take a look at his Game 3 gem.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

YEAH BABY!!

Sox in 5

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Boston Red Sox shared  MLB's  video.   MLB Professional Sports Team · 4,820,529 likes   Napoli. Gone. That's all she wrote. Length:  0:52

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I am going to relax and enjoy this win the rest of the night.  Night all.

Enjoy, we had to steal a game in Detroit, and this was about as big as it gets.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts