Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

"People seem to want to say that I hate batting leadoff," he wrote. "I don't hate batting leadoff, not at all, especially with this lineup. ... There's nothing wrong with batting leadoff at all. People that say I hate batting leadoff don't know me that well."  -- Carl Crawford

Carl, they don't know you at all.

For those who already knew and posted, before the season started, that Crawford only fit in the leadoff spot on this team, I apologize for repeating what you already knew. Thank you, and have a great day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

But he has a better OPS batting 2nd and 3rd.  I'm happy that he's happy, but just because it makes him happy doesn't make it the right thing to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

Joe, I think you are aware that we already have a #2 hitter and a #3 hitter who are two of the best in baseball at those spots. j

Joe, do you like the idea of having Crawford drive the ball more, and jump start him in the slugging spots at 3, 4 or 5?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say:
    [QUOTE]But he has a better OPS batting 2nd and 3rd.  I'm happy that he's happy, but just because it makes him happy doesn't make it the right thing to do.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

My problem with Crawford is that there doesn't seem to be a good place for him in the lineup. I have no problem with him leading off, but I'd almost prefer Ellsbury, if he's hitting well, at the top spot.

I like Pedroia at No. 2, A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 3-4-5. That leaves No. 6, which seems too low for Crawford. So to me, the choice is No. 1 or No. 6 and putting Ellsbury at No. 8 or No. 9 as a "leadoff" guy as the lineup turns over isn't a bad option with Crawford at No. 1.

I could live with Crawford at No. 3, followed by A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 4-5-6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And we have better lead off hitters as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Interesting but I heard that the 5th spot leads-off more times in a game than any other spot save the actual lead-off spot...  

This I did not know - 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say:
    [QUOTE]Joe, I think you are aware that we already have a #2 hitter and a #3 hitter who are two of the best in baseball at those spots. j Joe, do you like the idea of having Crawford drive the ball more, and jump start him in the slugging spots at 3, 4 or 5?
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

I'd put him #7 until he starts hitting.  When he does starting hitting, Gonzo goes to cleanup where he belongs, and Youk protects him at #5.  Fairly straightforward.  If you wanted to argue he's a #1, I'd disagree, but it wouldn't be crazy.  Having bat leadoff when he can't a hit, however, is crazy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk and AGon are both better #3 hitters than Crawford.

They both need to be 3/4 or 4/3.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say : My problem with Crawford is that there doesn't seem to be a good place for him in the lineup. I have no problem with him leading off, but I'd almost prefer Ellsbury, if he's hitting well, at the top spot. I like Pedroia at No. 2, A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 3-4-5. That leaves No. 6, which seems too low for Crawford. So to me, the choice is No. 1 or No. 6 and putting Ellsbury at No. 8 or No. 9 as a "leadoff" guy as the lineup turns over isn't a bad option with Crawford at No. 1. I could live with Crawford at No. 3, followed by A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 4-5-6.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Crawford has classic #3 stats.  The only issue is that we have a lot of hitting in the middle.  Pedroia, CC, Gonzo, and Youk could all bat 3rd, but only Gonzo and Youk could bat 4th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Youk and AGon are both better #3 hitters than Crawford. They both need to be 3/4 or 4/3.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

They are also better 4 and 5 hitters.  It's more observation than scientific, but it seems to me that the best lineup always have a strong #5 hitter.  The NYY have their middle in order.  Cano is their best hitter and he's #5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Here we go again - it is as if Youk never existed, and Crawford is the pre-ordained all mighty #3 hitter.

Is there some written law that causes people to treat Youk as a second tier player or what?  This guy is THE quintessential 3 hole hitter.  I could care for Crawfords numbers being "classic" for the 3 spot.  Crawford can bat 1 or 5 and do what Crawford can do.

Can we drop this already with demeaning the player we asked to carry Manny's Mantle the last 2.5 seasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say : My problem with Crawford is that there doesn't seem to be a good place for him in the lineup. I have no problem with him leading off, but I'd almost prefer Ellsbury, if he's hitting well, at the top spot. I like Pedroia at No. 2, A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 3-4-5. That leaves No. 6, which seems too low for Crawford. So to me, the choice is No. 1 or No. 6 and putting Ellsbury at No. 8 or No. 9 as a "leadoff" guy as the lineup turns over isn't a bad option with Crawford at No. 1. I could live with Crawford at No. 3, followed by A-Gon-Youk-Ortiz at 4-5-6.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

And when CC hits, there won't be a bad place for him in the line-up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Joe, I don't think it's a good idea to hit Youk 5th and Crawford 3rd. Just a thought.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford has classic #3 stats...

With all due respect Joe, he's not even a classic 9th hitter vs LHPs.

Youk is the "classic" guy. He hits LHPs and RHPs, and gets on base, and has power.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

At present Youk has twice as many walks as any other Boston player, and the second highest .obp on the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say : And when CC hits, there won't be a bad place for him in the line-up.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]At present Youk has twice as many walks as any other Boston player, and the second highest .obp on the team.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That is a silver lining, but at the same time, it's somewhat of an empty stat. Youk is the cleanup batter. He needs to be driving in runs. It's good that he's walking and keeping the lineup going instead of getting out, salvaging at least something. But as the cleanup hitter he needs to swing the bat and start driving guys in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

"But as the cleanup hitter he needs to swing the bat and start driving guys in."

Agreed, Roy.  Seems to me a lot of pitches down the middle which may have been tagged have been taken, most notably first pitch strikes and strikes when he's been ahead in the count.  But they don't call him the GGOW for nothing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Well right now CC couldn't bat leadoff for the local little league team. Tito needs to drop him down to the 8/9 area where he can hopefully stop pressing and get it going a little bit and then we can have this debate. When he's hitting i still like him batting leadoff against RHP and Jacoby batting 9th but until then he needs to be dropped in the order because right now he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

To some extent Crawford is just hitting the ball right at people right now.  So he should improve; a lot of this is still people getting worried because right now he's having one of those cold streaks.  Actually I'm not too concerned seeing taht Crawford is bad against LHP and the Sox have faced a lot of LHP so far.  I'm still fully confident he can be a good leadoff hitter for this team, and that's where it makes sense for him to bat against RHP (LHP he needs to be dropped low in the order...)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

A reasonable take, though I disagree that he should be dropped versus LHP. Leadoff is important, but it's not like the spot leads off every inning. Crawford fits best there, even against LHP. Unless he is benched, he should be leading off because that's where he fits the best on this team. He will start getting on base and move to the lower ranges of his career standard deviation on averages.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

A large part of where you place hitters in the order is based on getting them the most ABs. If Crawford's splits versus LH pitchers do not improve he probably should not be in a position that assures he will get maximum plate appearances per game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Crawford needs to not press so much.  He's been on base less than half the rest of the team. If he were to take more pitches he may take more walks.
    Him being on base is his worth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford has classic #3 stats... With all due respect Joe, he's not even a classic 9th hitter vs LHPs. Youk is the "classic" guy. He hits LHPs and RHPs, and gets on base, and has power.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree Moon, I think he's perfect for the #9 spot against LHP's.  The weaker slash line cries for being down in the order and when he does get on base he can still wreak havoc.  His defense can also change games (despite his early season struggles).  I'm not saying he's the best offensive option for LF against LHP's, but I think if he's going to play, then he should be in the 8 or 9 spot.