Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say:
    [QUOTE]Crawford needs to not press so much.  He's been on base less than half the rest of the team. If he were to take more pitches he may take more walks. Him being on base is his worth.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]

Agree. Pitchers are eating him up off the plate.
    He won't see much improvement until he starts swinging at legit strikes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say

Crawford needs to hang out with Lowrie and get some hitting tips.  lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

In Response to Re: Alert to Dim Bulbs: Carl Crawford speaks on why he doesn't like hitting leadoff like Red Sox fan Say:
    [QUOTE]Joe, I think you are aware that we already have a #2 hitter and a #3 hitter who are two of the best in baseball at those spots. j Joe, do you like the idea of having Crawford drive the ball more, and jump start him in the slugging spots at 3, 4 or 5?
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Wow that 7 hits for 55 at bats really make him the perfect person for leadoff softy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Crawford's splits versus LH pitchers do not improve he probably should not be in a position that assures he will get maximum plate appearances per game.

With all due rspect, katz (and you deserve a lot), Carl has had 9 ML seasons and over 1,600 PAs vs LHPs and still is no better than his career averages. Waiting for him to "improve" could be a long wait.

Career vs LHPS: .267/.313/.378/.691 (only 59 SBs in 82 attempts)
                                          (SB every 10.9 PAs)
    Career vs RHPs: .306/.345/.467/.812 (352 SBs in 420 attempts)
                                          (SB every 27.3 PAs)

2011: .105/.150/.105/.255 (0/1 SB in 20 PAs)
    2010: .256/.312/.384/.696 (5/6 SBs in 223 PAs)
    2009: .269/.325/.378/.704 (4/9 SBs in 201 PAs)
    2008: .248/.293/.348/.641 (3/5 SBs in 150 PAs)
    2007: .318/.350/.487/.837 (5/7 SBs in 206 PAs)

I am concerned that we have to go back to 2007 to find a year with repectable numbers vs lefties. Yes, it proves he can do it, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen anytime soon.
    He's gone over 750 PAs since 2007 with no OPS above .704. In that stretch, he has 12 SBs and 9 CSs. I know it is harder to steal on a lefty, but his low OBP has a lot to do with that skill being neutralized vs a lefty.

I don't see how he can ever bat 3rd with these numbers vs LHPs. In fact, his offfensive numbers alone warrant batting 8th or 9th or riding the bench. I don't care how much he is making, but until he proves he can hit lefties, he should not be slotted higher than 8th vs a LH'd starter, and never 3rd vs a righty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

nice job finding a quote Softy! Hey as long as Crawford is happy leading off that's all we needed to know. Even though he's batting .90 in the lead off spot and has taken to try to bunt to get himself on base, let's watch him twist in the wind! Sounds great. In truth I agree with you his best role on this team is leadoff, but it may be that building up his confidence first is not such a horrible idea either.