Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was silly and unprofessional

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was ‘silly and unprofessional’

Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was ‘silly and unprofessional’ 08.19.13 at 2:40 am ET By Mike Petraglia   If anyone should know.......   Alex Rodriguez answers questions after Sunday night's game against the Red Sox. (Mike Petraglia/WEEI.com)

Alex Rodriguez answers questions after Sunday night’s game against the Red Sox. (Mike Petraglia/WEEI.com)

Alex Rodriguez didn’t charge the mound after getting hit on the left elbow and ribs with a Ryan Dempster 3-0 fastball in the second inning Sunday night.

The embattled Yankee superstar saved up his revenge for a solo homer that started a four-run sixth inning in New York’s 9-6 win.

Honestly, I had like 15 of my teammates come up and say, ‘hit a [expletive] bomb and walk it off,” Rodriguez said. “They were pissed off and so was I.

“It was the ultimate revenge.”

Then afterward, he let Dempster have it with a tirade.

“Whether you like me or hate me, what’s wrong is wrong,” Rodriguez said. “It was unprofessional and silly, and kind of a silly way to get someone hurt on your team as well.”

Rodriguez said he’s not worried that Sunday’s incident could be repeated down the stretch of the season.

“I’m not at all,” he said. “That today kind of brought us together. Joe’s reaction was amazing. Every single one of my teammates came up to me and said, ‘hit a bomb and walk it off’ and they were as pissed as I was.”

There was a moment of comic relief when Rodriguez, appealing a 211-game MLB suspension for PED use, was asked if he thought Dempster should be suspended.

I’m the wrong guy to be asking about suspensions. I have an attorney I can recommend. Don’t ask me that question.”

Yankees manager Joe Girardi charged out of the dugout, appealing to home plate umpire Brian O’Nora that he be ejected for intentionally throwing at Rodriguez. Did Rodriguez expect this at some point?

“Look, my only focus is to play baseball and to play baseball the right way,” he said. “That was silly and unprofessional, and my teammates reacted. I thought Joe’s reaction was incredible. Hopefully, we can take this and build some momentum for the rest of the year.”

Rodriguez stared at Dempster but chose not to charge the mound.

“I’m focused on winning games,” Rodriguez said. “At this point, I think every player is too valuable. I’m too valuable to go out there and get thrown out of the game so is every guy on our team. But I thought we handled it the right way and we reacted the right way with a win. I was pissed off.”

Rodriguez said he was caught totally off-guard when the at-bat began with a pitch behind his knees. After two more pitches inside, Dempster came inside with a fastball and drilled him on the left arm.

“I had no idea,” Rodriguez said. “Obviously, I’m focused in on getting a good pitch, getting on base. I was the leadoff guy that inning. Just stupid, silly.

“I thought it was over at that point. I thought the umpires would handle it at least and make sure no one gets hurt in that situation.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was ‘silly and unprofessional’

Say it aint so!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Say it aint so!!

takes one to know one

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

[QUOTE]

Say it aint so!!

takes one to know one

[/QUOTE]

LOL That it does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was "silly and unprofessional"

I think A-Rod is a sociopath. But what are you going to do?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was ‘silly and unprofessional’ 08.19.13 at 2:40 am ET By Mike Petraglia   If anyone should know.......   Alex Rodriguez answers questions after Sunday night's game against the Red Sox. (Mike Petraglia/WEEI.com)

Alex Rodriguez answers questions after Sunday night’s game against the Red Sox. (Mike Petraglia/WEEI.com)

Alex Rodriguez didn’t charge the mound after getting hit on the left elbow and ribs with a Ryan Dempster 3-0 fastball in the second inning Sunday night.

The embattled Yankee superstar saved up his revenge for a solo homer that started a four-run sixth inning in New York’s 9-6 win.

“Honestly, I had like 15 of my teammates come up and say, ‘hit a [expletive] bomb and walk it off,” Rodriguez said. “They were pissed off and so was I.

“It was the ultimate revenge.”

Then afterward, he let Dempster have it with a tirade.

“Whether you like me or hate me, what’s wrong is wrong,” Rodriguez said. “It was unprofessional and silly, and kind of a silly way to get someone hurt on your team as well.”

Rodriguez said he’s not worried that Sunday’s incident could be repeated down the stretch of the season.

“I’m not at all,” he said. “That today kind of brought us together. Joe’s reaction was amazing. Every single one of my teammates came up to me and said, ‘hit a bomb and walk it off’ and they were as pissed as I was.”

There was a moment of comic relief when Rodriguez, appealing a 211-game MLB suspension for PED use, was asked if he thought Dempster should be suspended.

“I’m the wrong guy to be asking about suspensions. I have an attorney I can recommend. Don’t ask me that question.”

Yankees manager Joe Girardi charged out of the dugout, appealing to home plate umpire Brian O’Nora that he be ejected for intentionally throwing at Rodriguez. Did Rodriguez expect this at some point?

“Look, my only focus is to play baseball and to play baseball the right way,” he said. “That was silly and unprofessional, and my teammates reacted. I thought Joe’s reaction was incredible. Hopefully, we can take this and build some momentum for the rest of the year.”

Rodriguez stared at Dempster but chose not to charge the mound.

“I’m focused on winning games,” Rodriguez said. “At this point, I think every player is too valuable. I’m too valuable to go out there and get thrown out of the game so is every guy on our team. But I thought we handled it the right way and we reacted the right way with a win. I was pissed off.”

Rodriguez said he was caught totally off-guard when the at-bat began with a pitch behind his knees. After two more pitches inside, Dempster came inside with a fastball and drilled him on the left arm.

“I had no idea,” Rodriguez said. “Obviously, I’m focused in on getting a good pitch, getting on base. I was the leadoff guy that inning. Just stupid, silly.

“I thought it was over at that point. I thought the umpires would handle it at least and make sure no one gets hurt in that situation.”

Really?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well, i guess when there's nowhere left to go.....you go......there Sealed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Well , it really was. Even a bum like A-Rod can be right once in a while. There is no good explanation for Dempster's stupidity.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Well , it really was. Even a bum like A-Rod can be right once in a while. There is no good explanation for Dempster's stupidity.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Worse yet, he's now becoming to some extent a sympathetic figure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I couldnt agree more....in this case AROD was right.....your team takes a 2-0 lead, and you decide to hit the lead off hitter( a RHH) and fire up the other team....it made no sense...Did Dempster think the rest of the Yankees were going to cheer him? He sent the message by throwing behind him with the 1st pitch....and even if after going 3-0...he figure if I am going to walk him on base, I might as well hit him....still stupid.....walk would have been better.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Only problem I had with it was Farrell claiming it was an accident.  It was clearly a purpose pitch.

Why not just say, "Yeah, that's right.  Dempster plunked him.  Right where you're supposed to hit someone.  As perfect an intentional HBP as you can have."  No one would begrudge Farrell for saying what everyone is thinking anyway.

The sad part is, MLB will lose Rivera this year, and he's got to take his swan song with ARod?  That sux.  As Mo goes from ballpark to ballpark, city to city, he's being welcomed as the future HOFer that he is.

But ARod?  I hope every ****ing pitcher he sees throws at his ****ing head.  Then he'll realize how easy he got it in Fenway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to soups's comment:

Only problem I had with it was Farrell claiming it was an accident.  It was clearly a purpose pitch.

Why not just say, "Yeah, that's right.  Dempster plunked him.  Right where you're supposed to hit someone.  As perfect an intentional HBP as you can have."  No one would begrudge Farrell for saying what everyone is thinking anyway.

The sad part is, MLB will lose Rivera this year, and he's got to take his swan song with ARod?  That sux.  As Mo goes from ballpark to ballpark, city to city, he's being welcomed as the future HOFer that he is.

But ARod?  I hope every ****ing pitcher he sees throws at his ****ing head.  Then he'll realize how easy he got it in Fenway.

In that case, you'd be looking at many ejects, suspensions, retaliations, and so on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Most of that post is pretty solid, but I don't want anyone anytime throwing at anyone's head.  In a very weak defense of Ryan Dempster, I at least have to say that he plunked him in the right way, in the body.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In that case, you'd be looking at many ejects, suspensions, retaliations, and so on.

which is why i think on the morning of Sept 3rd(G1 of our next Sox series), we will be hearing of a statement from MLB looking to curb leftover tensions from that series...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

back in the day you could get away with throwing it at someones ear hole.  $$$ contracts dictate you keep it below the letters.  thats what dempster did.  arod as a "sympathy" figure is a joke.  people get plunked all the freakin' time.  he got his revenge with a crush to CFB.  move on. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

which is why i think on the morning of Sept 3rd(G1 of our next Sox series), we will be hearing of a statement from MLB looking to curb leftover tensions from that series...

But we will have to hear FOX and ESPN drone on about it for hours. Finally, had to mute the game and put on Sox radio, last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

back in the day you could get away with throwing it at someones ear hole.  $$$ contracts dictate you keep it below the letters.  thats what dempster did.  arod as a "sympathy" figure is a joke.  people get plunked all the freakin' time.  he got his revenge with a crush to CFB.  move on. 

You're right; assuming there's no more, and I don't think that's the case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

His Yankeee teammates did what they were supposed to do.   But if you think for one second that deep down they didn't LOVE seeing him get drilled you would be mistaken.   The guy is nothing but a distraction to that team and they cannot wait until he is gone next year.

He shoud get another 100 games for just being a pompous ass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to soups' comment:

Most of that post is pretty solid, but I don't want anyone anytime throwing at anyone's head.  In a very weak defense of Ryan Dempster, I at least have to say that he plunked him in the right way, in the body.

Yeah, that was the part I thought twice about posting.  I actually don't mean it, but used it as hyperbole. 

Regardless, that's how an intentional HBP is supposed to look.  Under the ribs with a straight fast ball. 

The irony of ARod calling someone else unprofessional is strangely funny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Did A-Rod just call someone else unprofessional? Really?

Really?

Really?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I hope in the next 15 days the Yankees beat up on some of our close foes, the Ray's and O's.  Hopefully by then MLB, comes to their senses, and suspends ARod for the rest of the season with the balance of games to be determined at a later date for next season.  This should be done before the Sox and Yankee 4 game series in the Bronx.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Alex Rodriguez thinks Ryan Dempster was silly and unprofessional

Definitely a pot and kettle analogy to be made.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Dempster clearly had control issues.  It took four pitches to hit him.  If he had plunked him on pitch one, no problem.

Would've been classy of Farrell to pull Dempster.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

You're right; assuming there's no more, and I don't think that's the case.

[/QUOTE]

it will be interesting to see if there is any carryover on the yanks side when they meet next.

could make for a very interesting final 7 meetings.  not that they wouldnt be anyways....

Sections
Shortcuts