Alex Speier Update on Sox Pitching Prospects

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Alex Speier Update on Sox Pitching Prospects

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/01/08/pipeline-overfloweth-why-outlook-red-sox-pitch

[/QUOTE]

Don't tell Softy there's another knuckleballer in the system.

Thanks for the read.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Good read. Looking forward to seeing a few of these guys in 2013...I'm hoping to see De La Rosa break into the major league rotation at some point.

Hoping Ranaudo comes back strong as well, as he was quite highly regarded a couple of years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Thank you Edith.  Good stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For once we have a lot of good pitching prospects at various levels in the farm.

There are many pitchers not mentioned in this article that could rise quickly in the prospects lists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For once we have a lot of good pitching prospects at various levels in the farm.

There are many pitchers not mentioned in this article that could rise quickly in the prospects lists.

[/QUOTE]

I forget who (flapjack maybe), but somebody posted that a big market team can expect to add 1.5 minor leaguers to its major league roster / year.

Note : 1.5 minor leaguers who stay.  This doesnt include cup of coffee call-ups or desperation (due to injury) call-ups.

I wish I still had the link because the arguement was well formulated and the math was sound.

We added two last year (Middlebrooks and Doubront).  So the law of averages predicts one this year.  I'm going with De La Rosa. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I forget who (flapjack maybe), but somebody posted that a big market team can expect to add 1.5 minor leaguers to its major league roster / year.

Note : 1.5 minor leaguers who stay.  This doesnt include cup of coffee call-ups or desperation (due to injury) call-ups.

I wish I still had the link because the arguement was well formulated and the math was sound.

We added two last year (Middlebrooks and Doubront).  So the law of averages predicts one this year.  I'm going with De La Rosa. 

[/QUOTE]

It'll have to happen due to injury, but with this team lately, that's almost a given.

I hope you're right.

I'd like to see what he can do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i wonder if they count BP arms in that math. it seems we have a couple BP pitchers make the jump form the minors to the majors almost every year. but i'd put my money on RDLR to stick this season at least one of our starters is going to go down and RDLR will be a prime cantiate to take his place (as long as its not too early into the year)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

egr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i wonder if they count BP arms in that math. it seems we have a couple BP pitchers make the jump form the minors to the majors almost every year. but i'd put my money on RDLR to stick this season at least one of our starters is going to go down and RDLR will be a prime cantiate to take his place (as long as its not too early into the year)

[/QUOTE]

I would assume that pen arms are not counted.  If they were, I would expect the number to be much higher because of the high turnover associated with pen arms.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't me, lol. But that's an interesting observation. My guess is that we've outperformed that number in some recent years, whereas in others we'd have been lucky to graduate even one true prospect.

The last few seasons have been a bit of a dry spell, but the current prospect crop reminds me a lot more of the roughly 2005-2008 time period, when we had a ton of homegrown talent come up to the major league club and start contributing (see Youk, Papelbon, Lester, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Buchholz). My hope is that we'll see a similar infusion of young talent over the next several seasons as De La Rosa, Webster, Barnes, Bogaerts, Brentz, Bradley, and others start arriving.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The odds still stay at 1.5. Last year should not change future odds.

I like de la Rosa as the best bet to come up and stay as well, but my sleeper is Linares.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like de la Rosa as the best bet to come up and stay as well, but my sleeper is Linares.

[/QUOTE]

my sleeper is Brentz

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The average baseball career is 5.6 years. There are 30 teams with 25 per roster = 750 players. Divide 5.6 into 750 = 134. On average 134 players' careers end each year and the void is filled with 134 new players from the minors. 134 divided by 30 teams = 4.5 per team.

A quick stab at gussing how many call ups per year. This analysis is probably flawed but I gave it a try anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Many of these "openings" are filled by prospects who never stick in MLB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

my sleeper is Brentz

[/QUOTE]

Mine too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Nice to see system loaded w/ propects again an not to far off. Reminds of prior to 07 WS team when the talk was about Pedroia, Lester, Paps, Ellsbury, Hanley, Delcarmen, Lowrie and others who didn't work out so well and how the RS would contend for years. Probably not as long as some might have liked. But good to see a bright future not too far off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/01/08/pipeline-overfloweth-why-outlook-red-sox-pitch

[/QUOTE]

The pitching prospects sounds promising and the sox farms system is rated at 5th spot in the league. Maybe having a few FA signings for 3 yrs. is not such a bad plan after all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

my sleeper is Brentz

[/QUOTE]

Mine too

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking "sleeper" means a prospect not in the top 10 or 20 on the team's list of top prospects. 

I actually like de la Cruz more than Brentz.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1311241-rubby-de-la-rosa-full-scouting-report-on-prospect-dealt-in-red-sox-blockbuster

In case people haven't seen him throw this YouTube might allow you to see what he looks like on the mound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxqWcWQNwg

Read some of the comments about Webster and how some Dodger fans viewed RDLR and Webster. I'm kind of excited.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was shocked we got these two pitchers and dumped CC at the same time!

They instantly doubled our pitching prospect outlook.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts