Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley

Bob Stanley was one of the great handymen for the Red Sox.  He often relieved multiple innings, did some spot starts, and closed.  Kind of reminds me of the way Aceves is filling in where needed.  His value to the team in terms of versatility goes way beyond his stats, which are nothing to sneeze at either.  He is proving to be a valuable player to the Red Sox and a great offseason find.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley

waste of space as usual, can't believe I fell for it again - to think I had hope you would start a thread worth reading.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Unlike Stanley he has a very good 94+ fastball.  Stanley lived by his very heavy sinker and remains one of the great "swingmen" in Sox history, game 6 of the '86 series not withstanding!

Alfredo was a huge loss for the Yanks!  Cashman must be regretting it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I'm fine with Wake starting, and Aceves coming in when Wake falters.   Aceves is a tough cookie so far, I don't see any of the head case stuff ... yet ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yet another goof by Cashman.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

How would Aceves do with a rake and a beach ball though?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley:
    [QUOTE]How bad was he sweating last night...haha.  He looked like his fever was breaking.  Never thought I see a guy that needed to wringe out the bill of his hat.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

jarret, the first time Aceves came into a game for the sox, i thought, oh no, this is going to be a disaster because the bill of his cap was a veritable waterfall and he hadn't faced two batters.  Nervous?  What the heck is that?  But, that has all changed now.  Where would this club be without Alfredo?  All that ridiculous sweat belies what a cool customer he has been.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]waste of space as usual, can't believe I fell for it again - to think I had hope you would start a thread worth reading.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You must have a personal beef with Los huh?  I mean, I think the comparison is interesting.  Sure Stanley was a different pitcher, but in terms of the role he played on those clubs, I think Los has an interesting take.  Why so dismissive?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]waste of space as usual, can't believe I fell for it again - to think I had hope you would start a thread worth reading.

Sorry to disappoint you if you were looking for more abuse. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm just wondering what Joe was thinking in the yankee duggout last night watching Aceves hit 95-96 on the gun....I could probably guess but then again this is a family forum........

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Aceves has been terrific, kudos to the new long man.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

we can thank Theo for that........................yeah haters, that's right. we can thank Theo............deal with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley : jarret, the first time Aceves came into a game for the sox, i thought, oh no, this is going to be a disaster because the bill of his cap was a veritable waterfall and he hadn't faced two batters.  Nervous?  What the heck is that?  But, that has all changed now.  Where would this club be without Alfredo?  All that ridiculous sweat belies what a cool customer he has been.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I got to believe Aceves soaked his hat in water before taking the mound, due to the heat. Not even Youk sweats THAT much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley : I got to believe Aceves soaked his hat in water before taking the mound, due to the heat. Not even Youk sweats THAT much.
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Yeah, its gotta be a water hat-dunk Niz.  I mean, its just not right if its not.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This coming from one who - won't read more than one limited paragraph...

Who need words large enough to

sustain  his  attention.

Who rarely comprehends what he does manage to read.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Amen Hammah

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Having a 3-inning reliever in this day and age is invaluable.
    Let's hope he is continued to be deployed wisely.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One of Stanley's greatest attributes was his longevity.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

...and the amount of bats he broke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Yeah I get the comparison but Stanley was the Red Sox career leader in saves before Paps came along, set an American league record for relief innings, made an all star team twice and twice was in the top ten in the Cy Young Balloting.

Not trying to give you a hard time, the comparison is somewhat apt.  Just saying Aceves has a ways to go before I would compare him to Stanley.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves has had a great start this year, and he is 17-2 with a 3.23 ERA career. He's never had over 84 IP in the bigs. Stanley started 30 games one year. Stanley had less than 84 IP only twice his whole 13 season career (79.1 & 82.1).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Point taken by both Snakeoil and Moonie that the comparison is hyperbollic and Aceves has hardly earned Bob Stanley career service stripes.  Still, those two recent performances - the extra innings affair in Oakland, and the damage control in the Bronx - were both big moments so far in the still young 2011 season and may portend other big moments going forward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Point taken by both Snakeoil and Moonie that the comparison is hyperbollic and Aceves has hardly earned Bob Stanley career service stripes.  Still, those two recent performances - the extra innings affair in Oakland, and the damage control in the Bronx - were both big moments so far in the still young 2011 season and may portend other big moments going forward.
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

First time I ever saw that word used on this board.
    This may cause convulsions with Burrito.

Sections
Shortcuts