Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley

In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley : First time I ever saw that word used on this board. This may cause convulsions with Burrito.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

He might think it means fat or has something to do with shipping.  Then again, a portend could be an aszhole and he'll think we're talking about him, which we are. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

My guess is, he'll think you meant "pretend" and will be ready to blast away.
    However, further reading will preclude such action.

Thankful for not putting his foot in his mouth yet again, he'll instead incubate inside his fantasy league and conjure up a future dim retort while lubricating his elbow with shots of courage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alfredo Aceves - The New Bob Stanley : First time I ever saw that word used on this board. This may cause convulsions with Burrito.

Hey man I said "apt" in my post.  We should start a book club.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe if we start a "book club" thread; it would keep softy away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sheriff, that argument will play out over time.  Aceves hasn't been around but for a few months for BOS.

But point well taken, and something to watch.  It is great to see someone who has the potential to be another Bob Stanley.  Heck, Aceves may be the successor to Wakefield at some point - in the swing role as middle reliever and spot starter.  Think Wakes can teach him to throw a kunckler?

Or better yet, can he move into a consistent setup or closer role if Bard/Paps disappoints or Jenks just keeps going down a dissolute path?

But before that happens, let's acknoweldge that a durable middle-late reliever with a 94 mph fastball is a gift from the baseball gods.

Yankees gave up on Aceves. With Chamberlain, Soriano and and Feliciano on the shelf, betcha NYY wishes they had a do-over.

Heck, Theo may have made amends for his prior low-risk, high-upside pitcher signing and trades.  (The name Brad Penny springs to mind, and I would rather that it not. And then there is Eric Gag-me...)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Aceves could be a quality starter, 8th innig guy, or 2-4 inning long releif/set-up man. That's an awesome combination.

It also appears that he can do it all at the same time!

Let's hope he stays healthy and can give us 120-140+ IP this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Summer, that pic floored me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I
    Have
    A dog and
    two cats named
    Chiquita and Sabrina
    My dog's a mix of Yellow
    Labrador and German Shepherd
    He's the best dog a man could hope for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Moon
                                      Do you
                                    feed your
                                  dog a mixed
                                diet to match his  
                               wonderful pedigree?                                   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kaleb
    is fed the
    best of the best
    He's eleven now but
    acts like he's eleven months

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

LUCKY  DOG!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Summer , that pic floored me!

I am addicted to I Can Haz Cheeseburger.

There, I said it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was abandoned and left alone in an apartment with no food or water.

When I found him, he was skin and bones. They thought he would die.

He is 75 lbs now, healthy and as strong as a horse.

I've had 4 dogs in my life. I loved them all dearly, but kaleb is the smartest and most loving dog I have ever seen. He can read my mind. I can go on and on... but I digress... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]He was abandoned and left alone in an apartment with no food or water. When I found him, he was skin and bones. They thought he would die. He is 75 lbs now, healthy and as strong as a horse. I've had 4 dogs in my life. I loved them all dearly, but kaleb is the smartest and most loving dog I have ever seen. He can read my mind. I can go on and on... but I digress... 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

But can he start, pitch long relief, and close? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's a great story, Moon. You are a class act. Pet abuse is something I can't tolerate. I think I could kill an abuser in the heat of the moment.

My first cat was abandoned. Found her in a maintenance shop. Took her in.
    Smart as hell. I'd been a dog owner for 18+years up until then.

Now I have a cat so damn loveable but thick as molasses. Her sister is the complete opposite. Her intellect is scary. She communicates with birds on three different levels. She'll be graduating from cat Harvard in August.

I'm trying to get her to re-register here, but she now feels this place is beneath her.
    I knew she'd get stuck-up with that impending diploma...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

abusing defenseless pets is something that really gets me steaming. I have never even rasied a hand to a pet.

People who get a dog and keep him in the garage or yard all day bug the you know what out of me too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Animals crave companionship. Anybody who can't recognize this has no business owning one. I purposely got two this last time (from the humane society) so that they could keep each other company when nobody is around during the day.

No way I was gonna separate these two sisters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]That's a great story, Moon . You are a class act. Pet abuse is something I can't tolerate. I think I could kill an abuser in the heat of the moment. My first cat was abandoned. Found her in a maintenance shop. Took her in. Smart as hell. I'd been a dog owner for 18+years up until then. Now I have a cat so damn loveable but thick as molasses. Her sister is the complete opposite. Her intellect is scary. She communicates with birds on three different levels. She'll be graduating from cat Harvard in August. I'm trying to get her to re-register here, but she now feels this place is beneath her. I knew she'd get stuck-up with that impending diploma...
    Great stuff. I had a Burmese cat named Murphy who lived until 15.  I swear he could read my mind -- but not I his.  He could sense a lap forming and was already in the air.  He would follow me down the hallway and do a great leap onto the bed. That meant he wanted me to hurl him through the air onto the bed. Yup. He'd keep coming back for more. 
    My job was to watch for cues and do what I was told.
    I should add that he was sweet, affectionate, and a little clownish.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kaleb knows when he's coming with me. I have tried hard to hide any clues, but he knows.

He knows when I'm on my way home from somepalce. My wife says he goes to the window about 5 minutes before I get home. I am not on any set schedule, so there's something freaky going on.

He has never chewed anything. I could leave a steak on the coffee table and go to work. He wouldnt eat it.

He saves his food or bones until I get home. (I think he hards it our of fear of further abandonment.

He is very protective and had a scary bark, but never would bite of hurt another dog unless he had too.

He loves our 2 cats. He would defend them to his death as well.

He will not take any food from my hand. I have to put it in his dish or throw it to him and tell him it is his. (I never trained him for that).

He is white with yellow tinges like a yellow lab, but has the body of a shepherd.

He has never "gone" in the house. (I have a dog door). Never shewed anything. Never bitten anyone.  Never begs for food.

He gets super excited when I pick up his leash. He'll knock me over to get to the door.

He even understands Spanish. My wife and I try to talk in Spanish about taking him with us or not, and he knows.

If I just say "you wan..." he cocks his head sideways and his ear perks up.
    (in anticipation of "you wanna go for a ride" or "you wanna go to the park")

I could go on and on...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The bond between animals and people is unique and very special. It's predicated on affection and routine. The sound of a dish: The time of day for a given ritual:
    Just a look at a given moment: They react to all of this, as if the thought process is telepathic.

Their comfort zone is you and the life you make for them. That's all they have.
    They give so much, yet ask so little in return.
    It really hurts when they pass on. But there's always another who's need is just as great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I made the mistake of holding my 21 year old cat ("Coma") as they put him down years ago (a cancerous tumor in his mouth). I felt his little heart beat cease.  I cried like a baby.

My last dog, "Sierra", was only three when she came running to me at the couch, keeled over and died on my feet (seizure/heart attack).

It's too sad to think about their deaths, but I celebrate the lives they lived and how much they live to please and love their "owner". It's all the want in life. To love. They will even love when none is given back. How incredible is that? How can anyone not recognize how wonderful that love is...unconditional...unending...unyielding...unforgettable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Unconditional love is something words can not define.
    Smart animals are so tuned in. You have a very special friend in Kaleb. Truly.

I don't want to get into how their lives must end. You bring up a child, and at
    17-18, he/she is ready to meet life on their own terms. But a pet? That's when their life is over.

Moon, when you mentioned his fear of being abandoned, it reminded me of how incredibly insecure my two cats were when I brought them home from the Humane Society. From what I understand, they were briefly adopted out a few times. It took two years to get them over it. 

Not sure I'd go that route again, but I really hate to see them in cages...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always get my pets from shelters, but I am picky. I have never had a "bad pet". I go by the look in their eyes. Kaleb and I instantly bonded. The fact that he is a beautiful dog helped. Almost everyone we meet sayd how amazing he looks. He is majestic and dignified, strong and yet peaceful and playful. I wish I could show you guys a pic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I wish Softlaw had half those qualities!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]That's a great story, Moon . You are a class act. Pet abuse is something I can't tolerate. I think I could kill an abuser in the heat of the moment. My first cat was abandoned. Found her in a maintenance shop. Took her in. Smart as hell. I'd been a dog owner for 18+years up until then. Now I have a cat so damn loveable but thick as molasses. Her sister is the complete opposite. Her intellect is scary. She communicates with birds on three different levels. She'll be graduating from cat Harvard in August. I'm trying to get her to re-register here, but she now feels this place is beneath her. I knew she'd get stuck-up with that impending diploma...

harness you and moon are a riot! i love it!
    and sure, i would appreciate the stories as well.

Sections
Shortcuts