All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury

AGon absolutely deserves it, but is new to the League and might get aced out by Teixeira.

Ortiz is a virtual shoo-in, easily the best DH in the AL.

Ellsbury is a long shot because this would be his first time, but he has great numbers so far--

2d in the AL in hits.  Amazing.

9th in the AL in total bases, almost as amazing for a leadoff hitter.

4th in the AL in runs.

1st in doubles (tied) and first in SBs. 

Has to be the best leadoff hitter in the AL.  I would vote for Bautista and Granderson for the OF, but I think Jake deserves that third slot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury

In Response to All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]AGon absolutely deserves it, but is new to the League and might get aced out by Teixeira. Ortiz is a virtual shoo-in, easily the best DH in the AL. Ellsbury is a long shot because this would be his first time, but he has great numbers so far-- 2d in the AL in hits.  Amazing. 9th in the AL in total bases, almost as amazing for a leadoff hitter. 4th in the AL in runs. 1st in doubles (tied) and first in SBs.  Has to be the best leadoff hitter in the AL.  I would vote for Bautista and Granderson for the OF, but I think Jake deserves that third slot. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Bells won't make it because he zig-zags on reads too much ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Lester, Beckett and Paps have a shot too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]In Response to All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury : Bells won't make it because he zig-zags on reads too much ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

There is no MLB outfielder anywhere who takes a direct line to the right spot on every ball hit to him.  In fact, the norm is not to take a direct line.  How the ball is carrying and the effect of any spin on it is not immediately apparent.   Sometimes outfielders get a great jump on the ball--by taking the right route quickly--and should be applauded for doing so.  But that is not the norm. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury : There is no MLB outfielder anywhere who takes a direct line to the right spot on every ball hit to him.  In fact, the norm is not to take a direct line.  How the ball is carrying and the effect of any spin on it is not immediately apparent.   Sometimes outfielders get a great jump on the ball--by taking the right route quickly--and should be applauded for doing so.  But that is not the norm. 

Of course Max.  Merely poking fun at Softy's last bullet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

AGon absolutely deserves it,

how does he deserve it 

it appears that  he would rather politicize it

than to celebrate the game of baseball with everyone else

hardly deserving IMO

do you think he will be bothered if his teammates don't boycott the game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]AGon absolutely deserves it, how does he deserve it  it appears that  he would rather politicize it than to celebrate the game of baseball with everyone else hardly deserving IMO do you think he will be bothered if his teammates don't boycott the game
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

You've got me there.  What did he do? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Teixiera is putting up some pretty great numbers but I'd have to give the edge to Adrian at this point.

And if Ellsbury keeps doing well he desrves to be in the discussion. Part of the problem is that the Yanks and Redsox have so many all stars that people don't want to vote for another Yankee or Redsox all star. Got to throw some Texas, TB stars in there also.

Ellsbury gets dumped on for his routes but his UZR scores are overall about average. His zone rating is a little above average. He rarely makes an error and hits the cut off guy almost every time. He doesn't get enough respect as a defensive CF.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-Stars: AGon, Ortiz, and Ellsbury : You've got me there.  What did he do? 

LOL!!  :)  Very funny guys!  I was waiting for that Space...

It has been hilarious watching bettered, SoldRed, GM, Softone, et. al flail around trying to grab onto something to hang his soggy hat on!

Obviously he found that argument in the obscurestatsforbaseballnerds.com site.

It's known as the PTDFACF.  =   Plays Too Deep For A Center Fielder

Not sure if you guys are aware, but this site claims that Ells. plays 3 inches deeper than the average CFer.  Softy is correct!  This is unacceptable & he should be benched.

I won't even get into the fact that compared to all CF of Native American heritage, the guy is completely average.  personally, I think he's sub par in that category, but I really don't want to go there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo is in need of our votes, he is a leader and a great guy ...

Tex   .243   .534   56 hits   43 RBI   18 HR   Defintely All Star quality

Gonzo .336   .556  86 hits (leads league)   55 RBIs (leads league)   12 HRs

Gonzo is the better player, 30 more hits, 12 more RBIs on  a team that started out so poorly.  He is the MVP at this point, now that the Sox have the best record.  Tex is also a great player, but his BA is close to 100 points lower than Gonzo's.   6 more dingers looks great for Tex, but not when the rest of the stats are considered.

So, Yankee fans ... it is clear ... vote for Gonzo, and vote often.  Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

DAMN IT, DAMN IT, DAMN IT!!  HE IS "ADRIAN", NOT F*****G A-GON!!  SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE THAT YANKEE PIECE OF CRAP!

YES, THERE IS NO BETTER CF IN THE AL THAN ELLSBURY!  AND ORTIZ SHOULD BE A SHOE IN!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Just for the record:

BA     Hits   2B    3B    HR    RBIs  SLG
    .336  86     19     2     12     55   .566   Gonzo

.317   69     17    0     13     45   .573  Cabrera

Not counting Gonzo's 2 RBI's and double tonight ...

Plus Gold Glove play in the field.  How can anybody vote Cabrera over Gonzo?

Vote for the better player.  It is the American way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury gets dumped on for his routes but his UZR scores are overall about average. His zone rating is a little above average. He rarely makes an error and hits the cut off guy almost every time. He doesn't get enough respect as a defensive CF.

Boom, I know we have beaten this to death. I just want to say one thing. With his incredible speed and willingness to dive (and catch) balls, why isn't his range factor near tops in MLB? It has to be his positioning and/or late/wrong breaks on balls.

I will admit, he is doing better this year. I haven't seen enough other Cf'ers this year to know how he compares. He made a nice play last night going deep to left-center.