All time Red Sox All Star team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

All time Red Sox All Star team

From Gordon Edes at ESPNBoston.com:

The first thing you need to know about my all-time Red Sox All-Star team is that Dustin Pedroia will barely notice he made the club -- he'll be too busy grousing that I stuck him in the No. 9 hole in the lineup.

Never mind that I've got the 1967 version of Yaz hitting out of place in the No. 2 hole, Pedroia's customary spot; he'll still feel the same way he did when he played in the All-Star Game in 2008 and saw that Terry Francona was batting Derek Jeter in the 2-spot instead. I can just hear him muttering, "Aren't you trying to win this game?"

Well, yes, I am, and I'd like my chances regardless of my batting order with the 2000 version of Pedro Martinez on the mound. Study the numbers -- 1.74 ERA, a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 8.88-1, .737 walks and hits per innings pitched. And all performed with a maestro's flair.

Toughest players to leave off: Smoky Joe Wood, Manny Ramirez, Bobby Doerr, Roger Clemens, Lefty Grove.

Here's my all-time Sox lineup.

No. 1 -- Nomar Garciaparra, SS (2000 season)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: All time Red Sox All Star team

Great list:

Honorable mention might include Freddy Lynn's stellar 1979 season when he batted .333 and smacked 39 homers.  His OPS was over 1000 for the only time in his career.

Honorable  mention starting pitching season would be Jim Lonborg's stellar 1967 Cy Young campaign with 22 wins

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Pedro's 5 dominant seasons from 97-01 are among the 5 best season's ever for any starting pitcher in the history of the game.  Baseball prospectus ranks him 10th ever and that ranking may be 1 or 2 slots low IMHO!  His .74 WHIP is otherworldly!  I liken his run to him being a Major Leaguer and everyone else AAA players he was THAT dominant!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Great List  It be hard to argue with any of those you listed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

3 Left Fielders?  Sorry, that ain't right.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: All time Red Sox All Star team:
    3 Left Fielders?  Sorry, that ain't right.....
    Posted by andrewmitch

Yaz played a season as a starting center fielder he could handle that position, he also played about 700 games at first base. Ted Williams was a right fielder when he came up and played there for a few years.

Instead of quibbling about 3 "left fielders" maybe you can come up with a better line up?  Because in their prime Yaz could play center and Williams could play right.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: All time Red Sox All Star team : Yaz played a season as a starting center fielder he could handle that position, he also played about 700 games at first base. Ted Williams was a right fielder when he came up and played there for a few years. Instead of quibbling about 3 "left fielders" maybe you can come up with a better line up?  Because in their prime Yaz could play center and Williams could play right.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

And anyone want to guess who the starting RF was in the 1978 playoff game against the Yankees?

Jim Rice.

Not that you'd want him there all the time, but for an All-Star game, he'd do just fine. On that note:
    Rice played 44 games in RF and one in CF.
    Yaz played 166 games in CF and 8 in RF.
    Williams played 169 games in RF.

So for one All-Star game, I think the Williams-Yaz-Rice would have the OF covered just fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Re: All time Red Sox All Star team : Yaz played a season as a starting center fielder he could handle that position, he also played about 700 games at first base. Ted Williams was a right fielder when he came up and played there for a few years. Instead of quibbling about 3 "left fielders" maybe you can come up with a better line up?  Because in their prime Yaz could play center and Williams could play right.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

Except the OP listed specific years, during which Ted W. played 1 (one, uno) game in RF and Yaz played 0 (zero, nil, nada) games at first.

Plus he was listed as AN OUTFIELDER NOT A FIRST BASEMAN.

And I think a guy named Tris Speaker was a pretty good CFer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just make sure Tony C is somewhere on the bench

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Just make sure Tony C is somewhere on the bench
    Posted by jesseyeric

If it wasn't for that beaning, he could have been another Yaz, or even better; the perfect Green Monster player due to his hitting those towering drives, and arguably one of the greatest 19-20 yr old players ever.  What 20 yr old leads the league in HRs? It's mind boggling.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

Dwight Evans in right. The man with the golden throwing arm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Nice post Mojo, but your avatar is disgusting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: All time Red Sox All Star team : If it wasn't for that beaning, he could have been another Yaz, or even better; the perfect Green Monster player due to his hitting those towering drives, and arguably one of the greatest 19-20 yr old players ever.  What 20 yr old leads the league in HRs? It's mind boggling.  
    Posted by nhsteven

The injury to Tony Conigliario was a tragedy.  Thankfully injuries like this don't happen very often. 

I agree with all of the others that this is a great list of all-stars. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nice post Mojo, but your avatar is disgusting.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Thanks for liking the post.As far as the avatar goes,I guess you're not a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.I'm doing a "summer of my favorite albums" for my avatar where I change it every week or two.I'm probably going to change it today or tomorrow so you won't have to look at it too much longer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If we wanted to stick Post WW2....Mo Vaughns 95 through 98 seasons would make him a good choice at 1st

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts