All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!

Belief when all doubt is true character. Team needs someone to step up and hit ball long in tipping point moments. Same for pitching.

Right now, this team is getting an early character competition check. Green Bay 2010 responded by starting playoff battle 2 games before playoffs. Red Sox need to start looking at each game as if it is an elimination game. Survive it, and confidence starts to grow. Don't' play conservative to hang on. Play aggressively to beat an opponent's best punch. 

Early coast and caution mode was Epstein's fault. Start playing as if there is no tomorrow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!

In Response to All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!:
    Belief when all doubt is true character. Team needs someone to step up and hit ball long in tipping point moments. Same for pitching. Right now, this team is getting an early character competition check. Green Bay 2010 responded by starting playoff battle 2 games before playoffs. Red Sox need to start looking at each game as if it is an elimination game. Survive it, and confidence starts to grow. Don't' play conservative to hang on. Play aggressively to beat an opponent's best punch.  Early coast and caution mode was Epstein's fault. Start playing as if there is no tomorrow. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

See, I was completely behind this post until I got to the last line. It's like when you love a movie, but hate the ending. Completely ruins the whole movie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

you mean the reality of it ruins the movie?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!:
    you mean the reality of it ruins the movie?
    Posted by BurritoT

Reality? There was no early coast and caution mode. We were fighting from the beginning. And we had injuries. It happens. It happened last season. Even the pitchers that were brought in to fill holes made by injuries got injured. That's the reality.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nay... Tito laid down like he always does and easily gave away 3 to 5 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes!:
    Nay... Tito laid down like he always does and easily gave away 3 to 5 games.
    Posted by BurritoT

Every game can't be perfect. If you're expecting every game to be perfect, then you're going to be disappointed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Kim is absolutely right.
    Coasting is cemented in Softone's fried brain, along with reverse pivot and fat city.
    Injuries to key players were real. And still are. Not playing players hurt when you have some leverage is a no-brainer...which is why some find the concept difficult to grasp.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Not playing players hurt when you have some leverage is a no-brainer

There is never any leverage in competition until the competition is over. Injuries is a built in excuse, and quite lame. Right now, excuses are coming faster than someone asking help in moving furniture.

Suddenly, Buch is now an innings possibility before season end. 

Two management August chosen words were popping up more than any, before September collapse, and it was caution and careful.

Management punted on the division in late August, foolishly thinking that extra rest was in order because playoffs were a virtual certainty.

The first hole given away in a dormie match reverses the confidence factor.

If Beckett is injured enough to be ineffective, what is management doing trying to get 8 innings out of him. Injuries had nothing to do with last night's loss. Execution and lack of poise did. 

In the past, Ortiz has been the player to restore the confidence on a team with no confidence. Big contract players who are feeling pressure and not responding well. 

It is incumbent on the veteran players to respond. It is not just pitching, as last night's loss reflected. It is failure to make enough quality plays, despite repeated opportunities to do so. 

Under pressure, to date, I have confidence in Ortiz, and that is it for the veterans on offense. Pitching, I have confidence in Beckett, Lester, Papelbon and Aceves, and that is it.

A veteran pitcher and offensive player must step up and make big plays.

It is not too late for that to happen.

But I have zero confidence in the GM. He gets too much credit for some team success on a big budget, and not enough responsiblity for a series of obvious major mistakes. Regardless of playoff outcome, Epstein should be fired for a series of construction flaws and value blunders. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Not playing players hurt when you have some leverage is a no-brainer There is never any leverage in competition until the competition is over. Injuries is a built in excuse, and quite lame.Right now, excuses are coming faster than someone asking help in moving furniture. Suddenly, Buch is now an innings possibility before season end.  Two management August chosen words were popping up more than any, before September collapse, and it was caution and careful. Management punted on the division in late August, foolishly thinking that extra rest was in order because playoffs were a virtual certainty. The first hole given away in a dormie match reverses the confidence factor. If Beckett is injured enough to be ineffective, what is management doing trying to get 8 innings out of him. Injuries had nothing to do with last night's loss. Execution and lack of poise did.  In the past, Ortiz has been the player to restore the confidence on a team with no confidence. Big contract players who are feeling pressure and not responding well.  It is incumbent on the veteran players to respond. It is not just pitching, as last night's loss reflected. It is failure to make enough quality plays, despite repeated opportunities to do so.  Under pressure, to date, I have confidence in Ortiz, and that is it for the veterans on offense. Pitching, I have confidence in Beckett, Lester, Papelbon and Aceves, and that is it. A veteran pitcher and offensive player must step up and make big plays. It is not too late for that to happen. But I have zero confidence in the GM. He gets too much credit for some team success on a big budget, and not enough responsiblity for a series of obvious major mistakes. Regardless of playoff outcome, Epstein should be fired for a series of construction flaws and value blunders. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

This post went down-hill fast after high-lighted.
    The game on the M.L. level is not reflective of your iron-man little-league glory days.

You saw what happened last year when the team played Scut into the ground.
    When they tried to play Jake and Cam prematurely.
    Injuries are very real - and a very real part of the game.
    Caution and careful should never be confused with coasting.

Beckett threw 109 pitches after 6 frames, following 11 days off for ankle issue.
    He was rusty and not pitch efficient. He was marginally effective.

His velocity improved tonight as the game wore on (He threw 93 MPH after layoff.
    He threw 94 and topped out at 95 MPH tonight).
    His command was better and his pitch count manageable. That's why he was allowed to go into the 8th. His endurance isn't 100%. But it might be after his next start.

UR way, pitching him with a sprained ankle could easily have him going in the opposite direction. So they use common sense and are careful. So they don't cop the division. They have their ACE in tact and still have a great shot at PS play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Injuries are very real - and a very real part of the game.
    Caution and careful should never be confused with coasting.

Curt Schilling on injuries.

Caution and careful in late August with a big lead is coasting. You haven't heard that management rhetoric since September collapse was manifest. It has changed.

Excuses are for losers. Congratulations to the Yankees for winning the division with injuries. Every media outlet predicted the Red Sox to win the division.

I don't need your patronizing comments about post season prospects. Playoff results have nothing to do with why this team has grossly under achieved in the regular season. And another year of injury excuses don't have anything to do with it either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

This about the 50th thread I have read that refers to something called "reverse pivot"...what is that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is anyone even trying to defend this nonsense? the sox blow at this point and are playing like souless losers - why do people think that the playoffs will suddenly change things...for crissake we are being whipped by baltimore - a triple AAA team disguised by a mlb ballpark

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Nothing will turn this team around with a rotation like this, and secondly a clubhouse like this. Plays like Lackey and Crawford don't make for a united team. 

There is nothing to turn around anymore. They can't hit Baltimore yet you are expecting them to do something against Verlander or C.J. Wilson.

Just end it so changes can be made.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

why is anyone even trying to defend this nonsense? the sox blow at this point and are playing like souless losers - why do people think that the playoffs will suddenly change things...for crissake we are being whipped by baltimore - a triple AAA team disguised by a mlb ballpark
    Posted by georom4

Baltimore can hit with any team, JJ Hardy and Mark Reynolds have been the best 1-2 offensive punch in the league for near 4 months, they finally figured out their closer situation, and because their young pitching failed to grow this year they are the doormats, I wasn't surprised to see them put up 6-7 runs per game in this series.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Last time I looked Buch and Dice K were gone.  Beckett was returning from an injury.   Bedard was pitching after his injury. 

So that leaves us Lester and Lackey.   No, injuries did not hurt us.  Unless blowing out the bullpen because triple A guys are in there all the time counts.  

The Sox built this record, there is no such thing as backing into the playoffs.  You either win enough or you don't.   

Last night was tough, but Beckett played with fire.  Aceves has been used a ton too.   We are still  2 1/2 up and looking good for the playoffs.  

If that doesn't rock your boat, I hear the Mets need fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Nothing will turn this team around with a rotation like this, and secondly a clubhouse like this. Plays like Lackey and Crawford don't make for a united team.  There is nothing to turn around anymore. They can't hit Baltimore yet you are expecting them to do something against Verlander or C.J. Wilson. Just end it so changes can be made.
    Posted by ADG

Lackey has to be the most self-centered jerk I've seen since Carl Everett, he blames his fielders for everything, and glares at the manager for hooking him after 6 runs in three innings! Are you kidding me? As for Crawford, WTH? This over rated speed demon now has as many stolen bases(18) as 35 year old gimpy Bill Buckner had in his first year in Boston!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

In Response to Re: All whining Doomsday Red Sox Fans: Get back in your fox holes! : Reality? There was no early coast and caution mode. We were fighting from the beginning. And we had injuries. It happens. It happened last season. Even the pitchers that were brought in to fill holes made by injuries got injured. That's the reality.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

kimsaysnothing is just another theo bootlicker on a board infested with them.

hey kim, let me ruin your day. theo and 'coma are the ABBOTT AND COSTELLO of baseball.
    i want to apologize to both abbott and costello; neither were actually that stupid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

reverse pivot"...what is that?                                  

That's where a veteran player averages 11 career homers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Injuries are very real - and a very real part of the game. Caution and careful should never be confused with coasting. Curt Schilling on injuries. Caution and careful in late August with a big lead is coasting. You haven't heard that management rhetoric since September collapse was manifest. It has changed. Excuses are for losers. Congratulations to the Yankees for winning the division with injuries. Every media outlet predicted the Red Sox to win the division. I don't need your patronizing comments about post season prospects. Playoff results have nothing to do with why this team has grossly under achieved in the regular season. And another year of injury excuses don't have anything to do with it either.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Sorry but I disagree...injuries are indeed a very real and just casue for under performing to expectation and you're right they're not an excuse...Why we're in this position is due to injuries and under performance of our pitching staff in the last 3 weeks, more over its is due to our lack of ability to replace Buccholz and Matsusaka with proven top of the rotation arms capable of delivering QS in the 60% of the games they're haded the ball...The reason we're unable to replace 2/5th of our open day starting rotation, is due to our lack of depth in the minors, after trading away a couple of our best pitching prospects in 2009 (Martinez) and again this offseason (Agon) to aquire a middle of the order bat in the quest to field a legit 95 win team...

An excuse in my book is when you're trying to mask the truth...Injuries are a reality not an excuse...What's more troubling to me is that too many fans seem to want to dismiss facts and instead paint their own reality...

The Reality is that John Lackey has been an utter disapointment and he alone may well be the difference in our not making the post season...because he's failed to deliver, his signing is on Epstein and his scout team, his performance is his to answer for...however...what he has done is taken the ball every time he's asked to and pitched...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

reverse pivot is real.  Ells will suffer the consequences very soon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

...Injuries are a reality not an excuse

All teams have injuries and a 40 man roster, trade market and farm.

Injuries to explain poor team value and performance is a lame excuse.

Epstein needs to be fired, regardless of playoff results, in what amounts to an annual excuse for an underachieving payroll.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by georom4

Geo, the only reason I think there's a chance, however small, that things might be different in the playoffs is how this team has turned it on and off all year. They have proven that if they turn it on, they're as good as anybody in the game (even Philly). Unfortunately, as we have also seen, when they don't turn it on, they can't beat a triple A team disguised by an MLB ballpark.
    Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying this will happen. Not even saying I believe it will happen. Just that it's possible, given how this team has flipped back and forth all season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Team is still a contender. But, playoff results should have no bearing on the lousy value and performance job of the GM. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

...Injuries are a reality not an excuse All teams have injuries and a 40 man roster, trade market and farm. Injuries to explain poor team value and performance is a lame excuse. Epstein needs to be fired, regardless of playoff results, in what amounts to an annual excuse for an underachieving payroll.  
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Epstein takes credit or is given credit for the 2004 WS, but the most important piece was Dr Morgan who was on staff when Theo arrived. Without Dr. Morgan we don't win plain & simple.So what did Theo do, he got rid of him.Now every time a player gets hurt they run & get a second or third opion. Theo has made numerous blunders just like this, he is a Harvard educated Attorney, he should be practicing law not running a Major League Baseball team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This aint over yet.  IF the club makes the playoffs, this roster is very different from the fold-up special of 09.  All they need is like a good chicken-sacrifice to reverse this crazy horrid mojo, and this club is still a contender.  They can hit with anyone, and I'm good with lester-Beckett-Bedard in a playoff situation.  This just takes a slight momentum shift.

Sections
Shortcuts