Allen Webster

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Allen Webster

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Webster and Tazawa might be our 3rd and 4th best SPs right now.

Just saying...

Mr. ACEVES should be a little comcerned this morning !!!

My guess is we invent an injury for Aceves to go on the DL to make room for a returning pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As good as Allen Webster is, Henry Owens has really been heating up.  I think Barnes and Webster have been the top two pitching prospects with RDLR being the lets see what he can give us guy (if he puts it together he's a #2 starter if not he's a late inning reliver) but after that there really seems to be a drop off in pitching depth.  Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the pitching depth spread out at all levels of the teams system but a lot of those further away guys are much harder to project.  Owens is starting to close that gap, at 20 years old he is dominating high A.

I know we are talking about Webster here, but the overall conversation about red sox minor league pitchers just excites me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

As good as Allen Webster is, Henry Owens has really been heating up.  I think Barnes and Webster have been the top two pitching prospects with RDLR being the lets see what he can give us guy (if he puts it together he's a #2 starter if not he's a late inning reliver) but after that there really seems to be a drop off in pitching depth.  Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the pitching depth spread out at all levels of the teams system but a lot of those further away guys are much harder to project.  Owens is starting to close that gap, at 20 years old he is dominating high A.

I know we are talking about Webster here, but the overall conversation about red sox minor league pitchers just excites me. 

I think we may be deeper than you think.

Besides Webster, DLR, Barnes and Owens, we have Ranaudo, Workman, Brian Johnson, Britton, Light, Montas, Kukuk, Callahan, Buttrey, and Hendandez/Wright.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think we may be deeper than you think.

Besides Webster, DLR, Barnes and Owens, we have Ranaudo, Workman, Brian Johnson, Britton, Light, Montas, Kukuk, Callahan, Buttrey, and Hendandez/Wright.

I understand what you are saying.  I just mean in terms of prospects reaching that higher status and likelihood of being a MLB regular.  a lot of those guys have high ceilings but Barnes Webster seem to be the two perculating at the top.  I think guys like Kukuk, Callahan, and Buttrey have just as much talent and may even be better but are also more likely to be busts at this point.

If Ranaudo continues his dominance and shows that last year was just an injury related blip, then I think he moves up the rankings fast and back on the radar.  Possibly back in the Sox top 10 and even a MLB top 100. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I'm on a wait and see basis on Renaudo. He's been so-so before this year. Actually not that impressive in Single A.

He had some pretty good starts in Salem, he slowed down at the end.  It was his first full professional season, slowing down at the end is very very common.  

Nothing wrong with wait and see, the season is still very young but remember at one time he was the most polished pitcher in college behind Strasburg.  The talent is there...and at the very least it is promising that he pitching so well at a high level. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Just MY opinion but don't be surprised if Ranaudo moves up before Barnes does based on performance improvement and consistency. I wouldn't even be shocked by same by Drake Britton. Believe Barnes needs major work on secondary pitches, stop over-reliance on fastballs.

Re Webster in ML rotation : Yes, he'll probably be up and starting regularly SOON........perhaps as an injury replacement, possibly supplanting an ineffectve Lackey , Dempster or Doubront. ( So far so good with Ryan D, and I fully expect Felix D to mprove and solidify his spot ...which leaves Lackey ).

But Webster only has 2 AAA starts plus a 2-inning rainout , and one ML start in his career !  Let the kid develop just a TAD before throwing him into the fire too soon, huh ?  His arsenal and potential are off the charts, let's err on side of caution in building him up to a regular spot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Tazawa? His stuff is good, but he hasnt started since 2009. Not saying he couldnt, but saying hes one of our top 4 starters is a bit premature at this point. IF they decide to stretch him out for next year, then maybe. For now, they are stretching Morales out.

Im not opposed to stretching him out (just not this year). But I cant say hes our 4th best starter when he hasnt pitched more than a couple innings in a row since 2009.

We agree he has some nasty stuff though. Which I think is the main point here anyway. maybe it will translate back to a starter, maybe it wont. Have to wait and see.

Of course I was implying we stretched him out first, but I believe he is better than Dempster, Lackey, Doubront, and Aceves

I respect your opoinion Moon, you know that. But Ill hold my full opinion if/when they decide to do that. I do however believe he has great "stuff", and it has got better since the TJS. He has more life and velocity on his FB which gives more seperation between his secondary pitches.

I guess my whole thing is can he translate all that into 7IP a game and 200IP a year. Right now (this year) hes needed in the pen. After the season I guess we can revisit this discussion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Webster and Tazawa might be our 3rd and 4th best SPs right now.

Just saying...

Mr. ACEVES should be a little comcerned this morning !!!

My guess is we invent an injury for Aceves to go on the DL to make room for a returning pitcher.

they will send down wilson and wright before they make up an injury for Ace. I think they a;ready sent wright down and brought Bard back so they have some arms to go to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Just MY opinion but don't be surprised if Ranaudo moves up before Barnes does based on performance improvement and consistency. I wouldn't even be shocked by same by Drake Britton. Believe Barnes needs major work on secondary pitches, stop over-reliance on fastballs.

Re Webster in ML rotation : Yes, he'll probably be up and starting regularly SOON........perhaps as an injury replacement, possibly supplanting an ineffectve Lackey , Dempster or Doubront. ( So far so good with Ryan D, and I fully expect Felix D to mprove and solidify his spot ...which leaves Lackey ).

But Webster only has 2 AAA starts plus a 2-inning rainout , and one ML start in his career !  Let the kid develop just a TAD before throwing him into the fire too soon, huh ?  His arsenal and potential are off the charts, let's err on side of caution in building him up to a regular spot.

Ranaudo has a lot of potential. TOTR type potential. Got derailed with a nagging groin injury and lost his wind towards the end of his 1st full season. Hes looking good so far this year.

Britton, when hes on, is almost "unhittable". problem is hes still inconsistent. Hopefully he puts it all together or he'll end up in the pen.

Barnes is realizing that when you start to hit the higher levels of pro ball, that FB doesnt work as well. he'll have to work on the effectiveness of his secondary pitches if he wants to taste some success at the MLB level. High ceiling pitcher.

Im with you on just using Webster on the Sox when absolutely needed. let him keep developing in AAA. hes got Ace written all over him and we shouldnt rush that process.

All in all Im really liking what Im seeing at all levels of the system in regards to pitching prospects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Webster also may (and maybe I'm reiterating my point here) just be closer than the other guys.  I have no doubt that Ranaudo and Barnes have high ceilings, but until a guy gets there there is always a chance he goes bust.  Remember Lars Anderson? he was the #1 rated prospect at one point considered a close to a can't miss.  That would be like Xander Bogaerts going bust this season (blasphemy I know)  Point is I think Webster is showing he is actually going to reach his ceiling.  Also quite possibly his ceiliing of a #4, #3 may even be a little higher now.  Barnes has the same high ceiling of a #2 but he is a little further away.

I think Southpaw is right though, if Ranaudo does in fact put it together I can see him getting promoted to Pawtucket this year and maybe even get a cup of coffee.  I don't think Britton sticks as a starter but I can see him being converted to a starter rather soon and start to move a bit quicker if his stuff plays out well in the pen. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What happened to him???????????????????????????????

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts