Allen Webster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Allen Webster

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

A 98 mph fastball doesn't get a starting pitcher very far without the complementary options.

98 MPH w heavy sink*

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Like I said at the time of the deal, the trade with the Dodgers could be the best Sox deal in my lifetime. I know, I know- Pedro! The VTek/Lowe trade! However, this deal not only brought us Webster and DLR, but also massive salary relief that will fill open roster slots for many many years to come.

B I N G O .....  Moon, have been saying the same all winter !!!!  What a deal  !!!

I kind of hoped that deal was just the beginning of building for 2014 and 2015, but I have to admit, this roster is shaping up to be a legitimate contender this year if many things continue to go right all at the same time.

Although I disgareed with a lot of what Ben did after that trade, I said many times, he deserves a change to prove himself and that rushing to judgement was not fair or logical.

So far- so good for Ben and the Sox.

And we still have all of our prospects to address an issue at the deadline should one arise.  Except Webster; he's untouchable ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm loving what the farm has cooking right now in terms of pitching depth, especially with Ranaudo looking ready to rejoin the top tier of prospects.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Pedro's best Pitch was the Change-up, the best I ever seen. Throw strikes, Master this Pitch, with a Good Fastball, and things are looking good. MLB hitters can hit any Fastball, but keep them Off-Balance and locate it, thats the secret of Pitching. The magic word here is Pitching not throwing. Many Minor Leaguers are hitting int the High 90's, if they cant throw strikes, and keep Hitters Off-Balance, thats where they will stay.

This kid really impressed me.

I saw an interview with Pedro once on a Spanish station in Mexico. He showed how is fingers are double jointed and can bend backwards nearly as far as frontwards. This helped him throw the change-up without changing grip on the ball, because he could just let his fingers bend back and the ball roll off he his fingers more slowly.

Pedro was the best pitcher I have ever seen. (I started following basbeall in 1967.)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Agree. There was one K that really impressed me about Webster, he threw 2 Change-ups in row to get the K, Hellickson like. Both looked like the Fastball and died, and most importantly they were low, out of the strike-zone, where you couldn't hit good anyway. Good Stuff.
    Hellickson impresses me as you can see.

Yeah, thats the thing about Webster's fastball:  it comes in with such sink that the trajectory is very hard to differentiate with his dying change-up.  Not sure what else a guy needs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Agree. There was one K that really impressed me about Webster, he threw 2 Change-ups in row to get the K, Hellickson like. Both looked like the Fastball and died, and most importantly they were low, out of the strike-zone, where you couldn't hit good anyway. Good Stuff.

Yeah, thats the thing about Webster's fastball:  it comes in with such sink that the trajectory is very hard to differentiate with his dying change-up.  Not sure what else a guy needs.

A full time slot in our rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I agree, more time against major league batters which means more frequent starts.  I think hes a safe bet to earn a spot in the rotation after or even possibly before Lackey contract expires.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I agree, more time against major league batters which means more frequent starts.  I think hes a safe bet to earn a spot in the rotation after or even possibly before Lackey contract expires.

Could be, but I was thinking more of him taking Doubies slot away, if he doesn't turn things around pretty soon. Doub's 1.500 WHIP is not the direction I hoped he was moving towards after last year's frightful number.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Haha.  Indeed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

The sooner he's every five days for the sox, the better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Could be, but I was thinking more of him taking Doubies slot away, if he doesn't turn things around pretty soon. Doub's 1.500 WHIP is not the direction I hoped he was moving towards after last year's frightful number.

I was thinking the same, Doub often has trouble early and getting past the fifth inning so it could very well happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If it wasn't for his 7.65 run support, Doubront would be seeing countless negative posts by all this site's nah-sayers.

(6, 7 and 9 runs scored in his 3 starts.)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Webster and Tazawa might be our 3rd and 4th best SPs right now.

Just saying...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Tazawa? His stuff is good, but he hasnt started since 2009. Not saying he couldnt, but saying hes one of our top 4 starters is a bit premature at this point. IF they decide to stretch him out for next year, then maybe. For now, they are stretching Morales out.

Im not opposed to stretching him out (just not this year). But I cant say hes our 4th best starter when he hasnt pitched more than a couple innings in a row since 2009.

We agree he has some nasty stuff though. Which I think is the main point here anyway. maybe it will translate back to a starter, maybe it wont. Have to wait and see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Tazawa? His stuff is good, but he hasnt started since 2009. Not saying he couldnt, but saying hes one of our top 4 starters is a bit premature at this point. IF they decide to stretch him out for next year, then maybe. For now, they are stretching Morales out.

Im not opposed to stretching him out (just not this year). But I cant say hes our 4th best starter when he hasnt pitched more than a couple innings in a row since 2009.

We agree he has some nasty stuff though. Which I think is the main point here anyway. maybe it will translate back to a starter, maybe it wont. Have to wait and see.

Of course I was implying we stretched him out first, but I believe he is better than Dempster, Lackey, Doubront, and Aceves

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

So far- so good for Ben and the Sox.

We've been very lucky with injuries so far. That's a huge deal compared to last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

And we still have all of our prospects to address an issue at the deadline should one arise.  Except Webster; he's untouchable ;)

The incentive to deal at the deadline is the greatest, but that's not the only time a good deal can be fashioned.

I'm in favor of making a move soon if it gets us something we need, that will help us win NOW and continuing up to and past the trade deadline.

My feeling is that a win or a loss on opening day counts just as much as the final day of the season. I think that focus is what partially accounts for the Orioles phenominal success last year in one-run and extra inning contests.

Agreed: Webster stays.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Of course I was implying we stretched him out first, but I believe he is better than Dempster, Lackey, Doubront, and Aceves

Wonder how he likes relief. Does everyone want to start?

Bard was an unreal setup man -- before the experiment. Will he ever be fixed? It was so great to see that 98-99mph heater.

Dempster didn't get much run support vs KC, but he was too often leaving his pitches up in the zone and they were getting hammered. I don't think any of us had great hopes for him, so given the low expectations I guess I can only complain about what we had to pay to get him.

I really wondered about the decision to bring Aceves back. He's very versatile, and it's great to have someone to spot start with Lackey out, but I ache for someone better. And less of a loose cannon.

The rotation needs work!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

They did hit 2 HR last game off of that high speed sinker. He hasn't got much experience at all in AAA level ball. Just like Buchholz, in the long run he needs to consistently spot his fastball or he will get rocked. Buchholz had stuff which was just as good if net better when he first came up and sometimes he got rocked. Let's give this kid time to become a stud.

The kid has a chance of being a #1. A guy like that is worth well over $100 mil. Let's not screw this up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Buc and Lester; horses, Dempster has pitched well and for whatever reason gets no run support every time he pitches... nobody can tell me why?  Doubront has pitched well for a young guy and if he can get more consistant will be a solid starter.

After that we have to admit that Aceves blows, Lackey stunk when he was an Angel, nothing has changed except for the worse and I suspect Theo screwed us on the way out.

Webster is our next best hope...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Allen Webster is a beast.  When we first traded for him I thought RDLR was the better pitcher and Matt barnes was a better prospect.  Although at the time I think Barnes was a better prospect.  I think Barnes has just as high a ceiling but Webster is hands down the best pitching prospect in the system.

He didn't do much to proove he ISN'T ready last week either. 

Sections
Shortcuts