Am I the only one who hates giving up on Jackie Bradley?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Am I the only one who hates giving up on Jackie Bradley?

It sure doesnt look like he has a future here with the Castillo signing.  I got a feeling he ends up a 250-270 hitter and perenial gold glover. As I recall Dewy Evans couldnt hit water from a boat when he came up either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Am I the only one who hates giving up on Jackie Bradley?

I don't think then Red Sox are "giving up" on JBJ, but it seems clear that they are giving the kid a chance to take a breath, regroup, get back to basics and work on his hitting where he can compete & fet some much needed instruction, with a slowed down game.  He's been so far over his head under water in the bigs, and clearly doesn't have a prayer at the plate.  I doubt there is a real deal out there to be had on Stanton, so JBJ will likely not be dealt in a package deal for him.  

THE KID OBVIOUSLY WAS RUSHED & WAS NOWHERE NEAR BEING READY FOR mlb pitching.  He needs a FULL YEAR IN PAWTUCKET, where he can ease into seeing close to mlb type pitching.  He will not be facing day in day out high quality mlb pitching, but very good pitching none the less.   He never spent much time at AAA, & it became painfully obvious long ago that he simply was not ready!!!!

I JUST HOPE TO HELL THAT WE HAVEN'T SET THE KID BACK TOO FAR!  THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THE KID!!!!    Slow the whol d thing down for him, and lots  of work with the hitting coaches!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

JBJ has only one small problem: HE CAN'T HIT MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHING!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) You are not the only one.

2) The Sox have not given up on JBJ.

3) No team should give up on a player after such a short sample size and just one area of concern.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3) No team should give up on a player after such a short sample size and just one area of concern.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Kind of a BIG "area"  of concern though, wouldn't ya say moon?

Like........    1/2 the game!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, hitting is a major concern, but giving up on any player based on under 450 career MLB ABs is not a sound strategy.

Not every MLB player masters all areas of the game by age 24, in fact most do not. Sure, many players never master hitting, but I am not even close to giving up hope on JBJ's offense. I'm not saying I want to pencil him in as our FT CF'er next year, but he still has a lot of potential.

I will say I'm getting tired of hearing posters bash Sox management for "giving up" too early on Rizzo, Masterson, Reddick, Lowrie, Brandon Moss, and others, and others or maybe even some of the same posters writing off our young players based on one poor season or less.

JBJ's .294 BA and .400 OBP in over 1000 PAs in the minors mean something. I know there's a long list of players who did well in the minors but never transferred that to the bigs, but there's also a long list of players who come pretty close to their farm numbers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moonslav59 is the reason we are in this mess! I blame him for everything!

[/QUOTE]

More proof on how the blame game is getting more and more absurd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, hitting is a major concern, but giving up on any player based on under 450 career MLB ABs is not a sound strategy.

Not every MLB player masters all areas of the game by age 24, in fact most do not. Sure, many players never master hitting, but I am not even close to giving up hope on JBJ's offense. I'm not saying I want to pencil him in as our FT CF'er next year, but he still has a lot of potential.

I will say I'm getting tired of hearing posters bash Sox management for "giving up" too early on Rizzo, Masterson, Reddick, Lowrie, Brandon Moss, and others, and others or maybe even some of the same posters writing off our young players based on one poor season or less.

JBJ's .294 BA and .400 OBP in over 1000 PAs in the minors mean something. I know there's a long list of players who did well in the minors but never transferred that to the bigs, but there's also a long list of players who come pretty close to their farm numbers.

[/QUOTE]

Did you read my earlier post??

We mostly agree.  Sending the down is not giving up on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I don't think the Sox have given up on JBJ, he has too much fielding ability. Sports are too fluid to assume someone is completely out - an injury can open up a spot quickly. Obviously, if another team wants him the Sox will consider, but that's true of most players under contract. 

I'm not sure if JBJ can become a good enough hitter but I don't think this is over yet. 

I hope not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you read my earlier post??

We mostly agree.  Sending the down is not giving up on him.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't venting at you. I was venting with you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Just one area of concern: he cannot hit. Just one, but its a biggy.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Trot Nixon and Dustin Pedroia were terrible offensively when they first came up too, but both of them improved significantly within three months. For Bradley, it's been about a year, which is more disconcerting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

From Cafardo's column. We might want to remember this:

6. XanderBogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. may not be lost causes. Back in 1973, as a 23-year-old rookie in his first full season for the Phillies, Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt hit .196 (though he did produce 18 homers). Barry Bonds hit .223 in his rookie season. Roberto Clemente hit .255 with five homers and a .666 OPS. As a 21-year-old rookie in 1973, Dwight Evans hit .223 with 10 homers and and a .703 OPS. In 1958, a 21-year-old Brooks Robinson hit .238 with three homers and a .597 OPS. Yes, he was a vacuum cleaner then as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

You should listen to this man. He know's of what he speaks.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

[QUOTE]

I don't think then Red Sox are "giving up" on JBJ, but it seems clear that they are giving the kid a chance to take a breath, regroup, get back to basics and work on his hitting where he can compete & fet some much needed instruction, with a slowed down game.  He's been so far over his head under water in the bigs, and clearly doesn't have a prayer at the plate.  I doubt there is a real deal out there to be had on Stanton, so JBJ will likely not be dealt in a package deal for him.  

THE KID OBVIOUSLY WAS RUSHED & WAS NOWHERE NEAR BEING READY FOR mlb pitching.  He needs a FULL YEAR IN PAWTUCKET, where he can ease into seeing close to mlb type pitching.  He will not be facing day in day out high quality mlb pitching, but very good pitching none the less.   He never spent much time at AAA, & it became painfully obvious long ago that he simply was not ready!!!!

I JUST HOPE TO HELL THAT WE HAVEN'T SET THE KID BACK TOO FAR!  THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THE KID!!!!    Slow the whol d thing down for him, and lots  of work with the hitting coaches!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JBJ has only one small problem: HE CAN'T HIT MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHING!

[/QUOTE]

Neither can half the Red Sox offense ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am certainly not ready to give up on him as a player. At this point, for his own good, I hope the Sox trade him away to a team that can develop him properly. The Sox organization has woefully mishandled these rookies...rushing them through the system, mismanaging them in game situations, etc. No doubt we will be having similar conversations about Mookie Betts at some future date.

JBJ is an exciting player to watch..has been since he was in single A. I hope he works out the hitting thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am certainly not ready to give up on him as a player. At this point, for his own good, I hope the Sox trade him away to a team that can develop him properly. The Sox organization has woefully mishandled these rookies...rushing them through the system, mismanaging them in game situations, etc. No doubt we will be having similar conversations about Mookie Betts at some future date.

JBJ is an exciting player to watch..has been since he was in single A. I hope he works out the hitting thing.

[/QUOTE]

I am nowhere near giving up on this guy.  When this team was at its worst - before the trade deadline - he kept them in games with his great OF play.  Guys with his kind of defensive skills don't come around every day.  If ever there was a guy whom you keep around until you've given him every chance to be successful it's JBJ, and that includes his own private hitting instructor and/or more time in Pawtucket if necessary.   

[object HTMLDivElement]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am nowhere near giving up on this guy.  When this team was at its worst - before the trade deadline - he kept them in games with his great OF play.  Guys with his kind of defensive skills don't come around every day.  If ever there was a guy whom you keep around until you've given him every chance to be successful it's JBJ, and that includes his own private hitting instructor and/or more time in Pawtucket if necessary.   

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

S5...well said and I totally agree. I guess I just have almost no faith that the Red Sox are going to do right by this kid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It sure doesnt look like he has a future here with the Castillo signing.  I got a feeling he ends up a 250-270 hitter and perenial gold glover. As I recall Dewy Evans couldnt hit water from a boat when he came up either.

[/QUOTE]

Did you like his bat? Did those strike outs make you feel good and he should continue to strike out ? Let him work on swing in minors and not waste a spot in Boston.JBJ might just be gone. Maybe new team is what the hit doctor ordered. We shall see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

S5...well said and I totally agree. I guess I just have almost no faith that the Red Sox are going to do right by this kid.

[/QUOTE]

You and me, MisC.  :-(

[object HTMLDivElement]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

alot of times, we could trade him for a talent player that can play the position that boston need such as 3b, SS or pitching.  Boston just have too many players playing same position that is being blocked by vet such as Pedrioa at 2B, (Betts),  now we have two 3b (Middy/Cecchin), two SS (Boggie/Marerro), etc.  And these young guys are not proven every day players.  

Also Bradley is going to be 25 years old next year.  Middy will be 26 years old coming this Sept.  Boston will likely make a quick decision on whether to trade these guys before they become older at the same time their value goes down!!  Remember Lar Anderson and Daniel Bard?   Boston hold on them too long before his value went down so fast!!

I am sure that Castillo will play every day for the rest of the year and still how good is he.  Since he only signed 7 years for 70 millions dollars something contract, his contract is easily tradeable. 

Seriously, Boston need to rebuild their pitching badly, and I do not mind trade Bradley for a good talent pitcher in return!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dwight Evans was hitting for some power as early as his 1st season....In '73, at age 21, he hit 10 HR, 32 RBI as a half-time OF, in '74, 10 HR, 70 RBI, .281 at age 22, In '75, 13 HR, 56 RBI, .274....big HR in the WS, huge catch in '75 Game 6....This revisionist history on Dewey Evans is quite hiliarious....JBJr can't hit water if a fell off a boat...that's the point. I've known Dwight Evans, I watched him play, I saw him man RF for many years as the best RF in the AL....JBJr is a great defensive OF, to be compared to Dwight Evans as a hitter is a complete and utter insult to Dwight Evans...terrible comparison.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From Cafardo's column. We might want to remember this:

6. XanderBogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. may not be lost causes. Back in 1973, as a 23-year-old rookie in his first full season for the Phillies, Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt hit .196 (though he did produce 18 homers). Barry Bonds hit .223 in his rookie season. Roberto Clemente hit .255 with five homers and a .666 OPS. As a 21-year-old rookie in 1973, Dwight Evans hit .223 with 10 homers and and a .703 OPS. In 1958, a 21-year-old Brooks Robinson hit .238 with three homers and a .597 OPS. Yes, he was a vacuum cleaner then as well.

[/QUOTE]

JBJR has hit how many HRs in how many at bats in his career so far? Brooks Robinson is now in the compare JBJr threads??? Really....enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Not such a small sample size anymore either......