AMAZED I think....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

AMAZED I think....

I'm truly amazed at all the venom being tossed around on this forum. From the players to the FO peole are saying anything and everything with out facts just based upon innuendo and unsupported comments. It is also amazing when one person says something like Theo or Henry or Terry and people here call them liars. 
    If the RS had gone on to win the ALE and continue on in the playoffs to the WS only a few Francona haters would be spouting they won despite him.
    None of this supposed beer drinking would have been reported even if Terry quit at the end of the year.
    BTW I do believe it happens (crinking) on other teams (not all) this I heard from a former pro athlete.

Folks look at the BIG picture the past TEN years have been the GREATEST in RS history. You have just seen some of the BEST players to put on a RS uniform.
    Yes some are beyond their prime and some have worn the uniform for the last time. However that does not diminish in any way what you have had the PRIVLEGE to watch for the past ten years. Yes I said privlege because there have been some very good some would say great RS teams that won absolutely NOTHING.
    The past ten years has let us be entertained and involved up to the last day and into the playoffs and 2 WS.

So forgive me but some of you should stop and smell the roses we got for the past ten years. Because you have no idea if they will bloom again on Yawkey Way in the same way for the next Ten years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: AMAZED I think....

Shocked no responses??????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

How about I disagree with your premise of stopping and smelling 10 year old roses. The recent success has bred an expectation of same going forward. Having said that, I do not expect anything but another 3rd and possibly 4th place finish in the ALE next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Maybe I'm Amazed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

LOL... I fully agree with Sin Man's first two sentences !! However, I fully expect the Sox to shake this off like a bad dream and Take the Pennant and World Series Championship next season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to AMAZED I think....:
    [QUOTE]I'm truly amazed at all the venom being tossed around on this forum. From the players to the FO peole are saying anything and everything with out facts just based upon innuendo and unsupported comments. It is also amazing when one person says something like Theo or Henry or Terry and people here call them liars.  If the RS had gone on to win the ALE and continue on in the playoffs to the WS only a few Francona haters would be spouting they won despite him. None of this supposed beer drinking would have been reported even if Terry quit at the end of the year. BTW I do believe it happens (crinking) on other teams (not all) this I heard from a former pro athlete. Folks look at the BIG picture the past TEN years have been the GREATEST in RS history. You have just seen some of the BEST players to put on a RS uniform. Yes some are beyond their prime and some have worn the uniform for the last time. However that does not diminish in any way what you have had the PRIVLEGE to watch for the past ten years. Yes I said privlege because there have been some very good some would say great RS teams that won absolutely NOTHING. The past ten years has let us be entertained and involved up to the last day and into the playoffs and 2 WS. So forgive me but some of you should stop and smell the roses we got for the past ten years. Because you have no idea if they will bloom again on Yawkey Way in the same way for the next Ten years.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim,
    I happen to agree with you.  The past 10 years of overall success has spoiled us a little bit.  I would LOVE the Sox to win a World Series every year or two, but I don't think those are realistic expectations.  Other fanbases would kill for the kind of success the Sox have had recently.  I'm hoping it turns around next year for the Sox, but regardless of how it turns out I'm along for the ride.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: AMAZED I think....:
    [QUOTE]How about I disagree with your premise of stopping and smelling 10 year old roses. The recent success has bred an expectation of same going forward. Having said that, I do not expect anything but another 3rd and possibly 4th place finish in the ALE next year.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

So you agree with me then????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

A trip back to reality suggests we all PAY for this team via purchases of tickets, merchandise, food, TV packages, etc ...

They should put a great team on the field.  They charge a premium to us fans to raise the money to do just that.  Even the commercial time they sell to brain wash you while watching NESN brings in huge bucks. 

So if you think any of us can sit here and say "ahh, it was worth spending all that money just to see them play hard!" you are wrong.  

Look up how much seats are at fabulous Petco Park.  When the Sox start charging that, then I won't care if they win.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

For the most part I agree with you, the last decade has been one wild ride, and except for the Grady Little melt down, I've  enjoyed the ride. It was because those teams showed great resilency, that this years collaspe was so hard to take, and now reading about the Sox of 2011, like it or not, has tarnished to a degree the Sox reputation.
     Having lived through many a season, where the Sox wilted in the end, made these ten years more enjoyable. Winning in "04 after the "03 play-offs disaster, made it all the sweeter, especially doing it to the Yankees. The bar has been rised exactly because of the two championships, and this team doesn't get a mulligan, hopefully like in "04 the 2012 Sox will learn from past mistakes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to AMAZED I think.... : Jim, I happen to agree with you.  The past 10 years of overall success has spoiled us a little bit.  I would LOVE the Sox to win a World Series every year or two, but I don't think those are realistic expectations.  Other fanbases would kill for the kind of success the Sox have had recently.  I'm hoping it turns around next year for the Sox, but regardless of how it turns out I'm along for the ride.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

I also agree and it is unrealistic to expect that a team will win or even get to the championship round in any sport every year.  Except for the Celtics run of winning 11 championships in 13 years because of Bill Russell and his supporting cast, I can't imagine that you will ever see another team win this many championships in such a short-time.   The only other player that I can recall winning so many championships is Yogi Berra who  I believe won 10 championships as a player.   Again, he was playing for the Yankees who as we all know was always one of the best teams in MLB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think "fans" are upset that they aren't hearing the truth.  The ownership says the reason for the Sept. collapse was injuries and nutrition. 

Then why fire Tito?  Tito had nothing to do with nutrition.  It wasn't Tito's fault Buch brole his back.

The media says that Tito "lost the team".  How?  Who in the clubhouse failed to step up and why?  How could the players turn their backs to a Manager that has had their backs from day 1.  Never tossed anyone under the bus.  Never blasted a player to the media.  Never criticized a player in public.  And they quit on him?  That to me is the ultimate stab in the back.

I can see quitting on a manager that was constantly blasting them. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AMAZED I think.... : I also agree and it is unrealistic to expect that a team will win or even get to the championship round in any sport every year.  Except for the Celtics run of winning 11 championships in 13 years because of Bill Russell and his supporting cast, I can't imagine that you will ever see another team win this many championships in such a short-time.   The only other player that I can recall winning so many championships is Yogi Berra who  I believe won 10 championships as a player.   Again, he was playing for the Yankees who as we all know was always one of the best teams in MLB. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Au contraire, Yankee fans expect their team to win it every year. They have a history and mindset of excellence and there is no reason Red sox fans should not expect the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AMAZED I think.... : So you agree with me then????
    No.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Jim, I usually agree with you.  Here, I do not.  Because, i find it difficult to believe, given your years around here, that you would be ever be amazed by the volume of venom.  Dismayed?  Sure.  Outraged?  OK.  But amazed?  C'mon.  This place can be a pit of vipers when the Sox are in the midst of winning streak.  Why would it be anything else after the terrible end of this season?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]Jim, I usually agree with you.  Here, I do not.  Because, i find it difficult to believe, given your years around here, that you would be ever be amazed by the volume of venom.  Dismayed?  Sure.  Outraged?  OK.  But amazed?  C'mon.  This place can be a pit of vipers when the Sox are in the midst of winning streak.  Why would it be anything else after the terrible end of this season?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

OK I'm not really amazed. However I'm not angry as all others because at 62 it is just a game. I go to games to watch the game win or lose.
    For those that say they deserve to know all the reasons I say BS. Where you work do you get all the answers NO.
    For those that say we spend good money and deserve answers and a better result. I say don't spend the money.

Funny back when Yawkey owned the RS he was probably the richest guy to own a team and we spent our money just as every one does today. However there was not this current of entitlement.
    As much as Yankee fans want their team to win I just don't see the same entitlement that RS fans show now just because of the past ten years.

It is freakin baseball and nothing is gauranteed nor is anything entitled about it. Hey the team with the "Greatest" 5 man pitching staff is out. Can you imagine the crap that would be going on in RSland if we had that staff and lost??????????????

Too many people rely on the fortunes of major league sports in Boston to make them happy. To those I say get a life.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Jim,

Imagine being a Phillies fan right now.  Before the season started they were the favorites to win the World Series this year.   The Eagles are also struggling and they were supposed to be one of the best teams in the NFL. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]Jim, Imagine being a Phillies fan right now.  Before the season started they were the favorites to win the World Series this year.   The Eagles are also struggling and they were supposed to be one of the best teams in the NFL. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Exactly the Eagles aka The Dream Team and the Phils with the Greatest SP ever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey Jim,

I don't like to paint with a broad brush...so I'll try not to generalize but there's always been a large pct of doom and gloomers that represent a large majority on this board and many more that masquerade as Sox fans that take pleasure in playing the devils advocate and revel in the Sox myre. You see since 2004 Yankee fans have lost their edge...so they have to resort to other means to needle those loyal to all things Sox...even one of our own Shaunessey has been searching for a way to repackage his myriad of curses to help reignite sales of his book by harkening back to the doom and gloom of days gone bye...

What I find ironic is that before 2004 after 86 years of wait til next year..those that represent themsleves as Sox fans lash out at Henry and bite the hand of the guy that has given them this new found sense of entitlement. It wasn't that long ago that our beloved Sox were a 2nd division team that once a decade would tease us with a world series appearance, only to fall short and leaves us all with that sick feeling in our stomach's and once again leave us to ponder. if ideed there was a curse? How quickly some have forgotten the dreaded 1918 chant that used to echo from the rafters at the old Yankee stadium every time we play them...A chant that served to reinforce our second division standing against our hated rival and even worse was we had no retort. All that changed in October of 2004 when a group of Jack daniels drinking longhaired Idiots changed our fortunes forever mounting a historic comeback down 0-3, and then taking four in a row with the last two in the Yanks yard and on that fateful night in October of 2004 the chant was silanced forever! For that I will be eternally greatful to the current owners and the managers and players that comprised that squad!

I would caution those that doubt the Sox ownerships intent to continue to win and those that do, simply don't know Larry Luccino very well...Nor the resolve of Henry to continue to build the Red Sox brand in the interest of increasing shareholder value.

That said given the gravity of the September collapse and all of the subsequent press releases and stories being penned by the scribes of both of our local papers. No doubt that a restructure of authority is needed and I trust that when all's said and done that once again we'll field a team capable of winning 95 games and challegne for a Championship. It starts at the top and to date John Henry has given me little casue to question his intent...If winning a championship was as easy as some among us think $$$$$$ the Yanks would win it every year! Just ask the Phillies...

Go Sox!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AMAZED I think.... : Au contraire, Yankee fans expect their team to win it every year. They have a history and mindset of excellence and there is no reason Red sox fans should not expect the same.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I mean by our new found sense of entitlement. While I don't disagree that our goal should be to win champoinships, expecting to win is another matter...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

JIMMYFROMFLORIDA.......  AS DAD WOULD SAY...... "SON, THOSE ROSES ARE LONG GONE, AND 15 PLAYERS +- OF THIS ROSTER SHOULD GO TOO"  !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]A trip back to reality suggests we all PAY for this team via purchases of tickets, merchandise, food, TV packages, etc ... They should put a great team on the field.  They charge a premium to us fans to raise the money to do just that.  Even the commercial time they sell to brain wash you while watching NESN brings in huge bucks.  So if you think any of us can sit here and say "ahh, it was worth spending all that money just to see them play hard!" you are wrong.   Look up how much seats are at fabulous Petco Park.  When the Sox start charging that, then I won't care if they win.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

But how many of us go to Feneay often and spend big bucks for expensive tickets?

Is it mandatory to purchase Sox merchandise?

Don't cable packages include 150 other channels besides NESN? 95 percent of those who have cable packages never watch NESN.

I never buy anything based on commercials that bombard me on television.

I don't feel as if I'm paying any $$$ to the Red Sox. How do they know that I'm not watching the History or Military Channels?

I never base a purchase based on what I see on television anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AMAZED I think.... : But how many of us go to Feneay often and spend big bucks for expensive tickets? Is it mandatory to purchase Sox merchandise? Don't cable packages include 150 other channels besides NESN? 95 percent of those who have cable packages never watch NESN. I never buy anything based on commercials that bombard me on television. I don't feel as if I'm paying any $$$ to the Red Sox. How do they know that I'm not watching the History or Military Channels?   I never base a purchase based on what I see on television anyway.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Well said, in the end no one is forced to participate...

Frankly John Henry owes us nothing, rather it's incumbent on him to present a product worthy of our support both in terms of our hard earned moneys and our undying loyality to the home town nine. Like any business if the consumer doesn't feel that they're getting value for their moneys they spend it else where. The buisness of baseball is no different and so too is the business of running a sports network where the profits are measured by the amount company's are willing to pay to advertise and that's soley dependent on viewership...

Since purchasing the team and NESN in 2002 he and his team have IMHO done a remarkable job in creating a model for how to grow sales and maximize shareholder value...None of that would've been possible, if he would've maintained status quo after buying the team. He's left little to chance and together with his ownership group have in less than a decade enhanced the Red Sox brand and that doesn't happen without winning and frankly he can't sustain it if they aren't near or at the top every year...

So while they may have fallen short the last few years. No one understands the importance of winnig more than Henry and my guess is that he and Luccino are having very frank discussions regarding the fortunes of our beloved Sox. In this case it ain't broken, but is in need of a tuneup...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AMAZED I think.... : OK I'm not really amazed. However I'm not angry as all others because at 62 it is just a game. I go to games to watch the game win or lose. For those that say they deserve to know all the reasons I say BS. Where you work do you get all the answers NO. For those that say we spend good money and deserve answers and a better result. I say don't spend the money. Funny back when Yawkey owned the RS he was probably the richest guy to own a team and we spent our money just as every one does today. However there was not this current of entitlement. As much as Yankee fans want their team to win I just don't see the same entitlement that RS fans show now just because of the past ten years. It is freakin baseball and nothing is gauranteed nor is anything entitled about it. Hey the team with the "Greatest" 5 man pitching staff is out. Can you imagine the crap that would be going on in RSland if we had that staff and lost?????????????? Too many people rely on the fortunes of major league sports in Boston to make them happy. To those I say get a life.

I am so with you Jim.  I have lived and died with the Sox my whole life.  And i spend so much time thinking about the Sox, and watching the Sox, and talking about the Sox, that it is really hard to go through times like September.  But, I don't get the righteous indignation and scorn.  it is just a game Jim.  At the end of the day, it is the larger story of the Sox that keeps me glued.  And the down years are as important to that story as the up years.  This is just another point on the continuum.  And, to boot, I'll take this september collapse, when the expectations were so high, than the better part of a decade starting in the late 80s.  Now, THAT was tough times.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I'm not at all amazed or surprised at this overreaction as I see this aura of entitlement in so many aspect of today's society.  There is definitely a generation difference; many of us that go back to the 60's and beyond have lived through the hard times and those agonizing near misses.  This was just another of those years.  This is life as a Red Sox fan.  I was of course disappointed the team and some players significantly underachieved and hope the root causes are identified and corrected before 2012.  But I'm also grateful that the team rewarded us with 2 recent titles, and has made baseball interesting and relevant for another year.  Imagine being a Pirate or Royals fan, when hope of success is basically gone before summer.

Those who are spewing venom are the fanatics, not the healthy fans who can put sports into prospective.