Amazing fact ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Amazing fact ...

At least to me. Here it is, May 13, and our beloved Red Sox have not won more than two games in a row at any point of the season.  Yet they're a game over .500 and 1.5 games out of first place in the division. A division, granted, that just about anyone can win.

Point being, we're right there despite playing fairly mediocre ball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Amazing fact ...

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

more amazing is that in 2013 they never lost 3 in a row or was it more than 3 in a row.... ?

more than 3

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

interesting LD.  i think we have a few 5 or 6 W runs in us.  some other teams in our division are starting to get ravaged by injury (as expected) and their BP arms are starting to feel the pain of SP only avg 5ip per game. 

time to put the pedal to the metal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, this team is really just a couple of improvements away from being the best team in the East.

Look at the yankees - they are hanging on by a thread and may have already peaked.  Do you think Tanaka will go 25-0?  And without Tanaka, their pitching staff is quite poor. 

We CAN do it but we do need to resolve the left side of the entire defense issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

BTW .... there is not anything amazing about their position May 13...... it si solo early that even the worse teams are less than 10 games out of first.... by July it can triple at the same pace.

The Cubs (10.5), Diamondbacks (11), and Astros (12) are all more than 10 games out of first place.

Why don’t fans just admit they don’t like that the Sox have been losing to the Yankees?  The Sox are 17-13 (.566) against the rest of the league.  And the rest of the league that the Sox have been playing to date includes only one team that is more than 2 games under .500 (Tampa Bay).   If the Sox overall record was 21-16 instead of 19-18, would people still be complaining?  OK, some would.  But these people would also complain if the team’s record was 36-1.

The reality is, this team is better than many realize.  But because they don’t realize it, many have gone into deep, intense nitpicking and trying to cheapen last year while upholding this year’s record as the reality.

“Everything when right last year.”   Duh!  Please find me one World Series champion in MLB history where everything went wrong.  Not to mention, it’s kind of a lie.  If “everything went right,” Joel Hanrahan would have been closing last October and Shane Victorino would have been switch-hitting.  And I refuse to believe that a platoon of Brad Snyder and Brock Holt is considered “right” in any sport on this planet.   Everything going right is how team’s win.  There is a very small margin between best and worst in MLB, and parity is more evident in this sport than any other.

“This is the worst outfield in MLB.  Bradley can’t hit!!”   If only we had spent millions of All Star talent like Matt Holliday and Allen Craig, right?  By the way, has anyone noticed that Daniel Nava has single-handedly outhomered the entire Kansas City outfield?  Wasn’t KC one of those pre-season media darlings?

“Our FO has fallen in love with the prospects and it’s killing this team!! Now let me go start another thread where I list all the veterans we need to trade immediately so we can bring up more young players!”   Ah, yes. Everyday at BDC.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Another great post by Notin, it's early, but seriously, he's running away with poster of the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to notin's comment:

BTW .... there is not anything amazing about their position May 13...... it si solo early that even the worse teams are less than 10 games out of first.... by July it can triple at the same pace.

The Cubs (10.5), Diamondbacks (11), and Astros (12) are all more than 10 games out of first place.

Why don’t fans just admit they don’t like that the Sox have been losing to the Yankees?  The Sox are 17-13 (.566) against the rest of the league.  And the rest of the league that the Sox have been playing to date includes only one team that is more than 2 games under .500 (Tampa Bay).   If the Sox overall record was 21-16 instead of 19-18, would people still be complaining?  OK, some would.  But these people would also complain if the team’s record was 36-1.

The reality is, this team is better than many realize.  But because they don’t realize it, many have gone into deep, intense nitpicking and trying to cheapen last year while upholding this year’s record as the reality.

“Everything when right last year.”   Duh!  Please find me one World Series champion in MLB history where everything went wrong.  Not to mention, it’s kind of a lie.  If “everything went right,” Joel Hanrahan would have been closing last October and Shane Victorino would have been switch-hitting.  And I refuse to believe that a platoon of Brad Snyder and Brock Holt is considered “right” in any sport on this planet.   Everything going right is how team’s win.  There is a very small margin between best and worst in MLB, and parity is more evident in this sport than any other.

“This is the worst outfield in MLB.  Bradley can’t hit!!”   If only we had spent millions of All Star talent like Matt Holliday and Allen Craig, right?  By the way, has anyone noticed that Daniel Nava has single-handedly outhomered the entire Kansas City outfield?  Wasn’t KC one of those pre-season media darlings?

“Our FO has fallen in love with the prospects and it’s killing this team!! Now let me go start another thread where I list all the veterans we need to trade immediately so we can bring up more young players!”   Ah, yes. Everyday at BDC.

Please be specific. Who do you think, besides Bill (son of dad), would complain if the SOX were 36-1?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Another great post by Notin, it's early, but seriously, he's running away with poster of the year.

I was in the hunt, but my suspension put me behind the 8-ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Well, this team is really just a couple of improvements away from being the best team in the East.

Look at the yankees - they are hanging on by a thread and may have already peaked.  Do you think Tanaka will go 25-0?  And without Tanaka, their pitching staff is quite poor. 

We CAN do it but we do need to resolve the left side of the entire defense issue.

Wait....are you talking about the same Yankees who were primed to pull away from the Sox?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think very many of us thought the team would stink. Some of us felt that not enough was done to stay ahead of the pack. I was one of them. But I still thought we were better than a .500 team. Right now, that is what we are. I actually expected that we would be better than that. That we are right near the top of the division is not so much a tribute to our play as it is to the failure of the others to play much better. The fact is that our performance so far has done nothing to discredit the skeptics. The reality is that we have to play a whole lot better than we have. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I don't think very many of us thought the team would stink. Some of us felt that not enough was done to stay ahead of the pack. I was one of them. But I still thought we were better than a .500 team. Right now, that is what we are. I actually expected that we would be better than that. That we are right near the top of the division is not so much a tribute to our play as it is to the failure of the others to play much better. The fact is that our performance so far has done nothing to discredit the skeptics. The reality is that we have to play a whole lot better than we have. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I believe the SOX are playing hard, but playing hard doesn't replace flat-out talent. At this point, flat-out talent is few and far between. Oh yes,btw, flat-out talent usually costs money, where as just playing hard is fairly inexpensive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I believe the SOX are playing hard, but playing hard doesn't replace flat-out talent. At this point, flat-out talent is few and far between. Oh yes,btw, flat-out talent usually costs money, where as just playing hard is fairly inexpensive.

It's not quite that simple though.  The Yankees tried to refurbish their team by buying half a billion worth of talent, and their team is a shambles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Aren't those the teams that you said improved during the off-season, while "the Sox did nothing"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Aren't those the teams that you said improved during the off-season, while "the Sox did nothing"?

Yes, there's a disconnect in what Mr. Galehouse is saying, because he was clearly convinced that the Yankees were dramatically improved by their spending binge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We are the World Series Champs. At this point, 11 teams have better records. Another 7 have the same .500 record. I am not here to make excuses for the Yankees. I am happy that they have struggled. But where was I wrong? Tell me where I was wrong. We went from World Champs to just another team. Lately, there have been signs that we are improving. I do believe that will continue to happen.  I have not changed my view that we were lax this off season, while others improved. I think that is pretty obvious.

Stabbed by Foulke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We are the World Series Champs. At this point, 11 teams have better records. Another 7 have the same .500 record. I am not here to make excuses for the Yankees. I am happy that they have struggled. But where was I wrong? Tell me where I was wrong. We went from World Champs to just another team. Lately, there have been signs that we are improving. I do believe that will continue to happen.  I have not changed my view that we were lax this off season, while others improved. I think that is pretty obvious.

Stabbed by Foulke.

You were wrong about the Yankees improving.  Pretty simple.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]       I still think they have improved. Obviously, they have been decimated with injuries, but I do believe they have improved.  And, they are not the only ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]       I still think they have improved. Obviously, they have been decimated with injuries, but I do believe they have improved.  

No, they haven't improved.  Their W-L record and run differential are both worse than they were last year this time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]       I still think they have improved. Obviously, they have been decimated with injuries, but I do believe they have improved.  

No, they haven't improved.  Their W-L record and run differential are both worse than they were last year this time.

Apparently improved means on paper, not on the field.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

At this point, sure.  But what if he gets sucked in by the you-know-what heads around here and misses half of the season due to John Thomas surgery?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

During any season, regardless of my expectations, I'd be more than satisfied with the Sox being 1.5 games out of 1st place after less than 25% of the season had been played.  Not to mention the O-birds aren't going anywhere. Plus the Sox haven't even played well yet.  And they've had a tough schedule so far.  And they're pretty much at their Pythag record (18-20) so their "luck" has been neutral.  Etc.

Fuggit, let's b1tch, mo@n, complain, tell the board how right we are and how dumb the Sox are then, when they make the playoffs+ either say "oops" or "I was right then, they just turned it around".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have total faith in Ben. I think he is the best GM in the business. Arguably, the best ever.

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

;-)

Sections
Shortcuts