Amazing statistic department

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Amazing statistic department

Last night's attendance at Fenway.  101.8%, 37,750.  How is this possible?  The Sox are awful this year, and this was a Thursday against a so-so Indians team on a night when rain threatened to interrupt/delay the game (but did not).  Did I forget to mention that in the previous three games the Sox scored a total of 1 run?  And let's not forget that last April--2013, not 2014--the Sox FO agreed to report actual vs. fictional attendance and have been doing so ever since.  What the heck happened?

One thing that may or may not have been related was the Sox actually looked like last year's team.  12 hits, plus some other hard hit balls the Indians caught for outs.  5 runs.  Very good start by Lester who looked pretty dominant from the outset--I think he went 7.2 innings with 1 earned run (his own error led to the unearned run).  And a terrific play by Bradley in CF.  I thought the throw was terrific, but it was the whole play that grabbed me.  First he had to catch that ball over his shoulder while almost crashing into the wall.  Then he had to push off the wall, turn around, see 1B, and then unleash that throw.   I truly think it is possible the crowd helped the team, who had to be astounded the stands were so packed after a very bad road trip.  . 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Amazing statistic department

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last night's attendance at Fenway.  101.8%, 37,750.  How is this possible?  The Sox are awful this year, and this was a Thursday against a so-so Indians team on a night when rain threatened to interrupt/delay the game (but did not).  Did I forget to mention that in the previous three games the Sox scored a total of 1 run?  And let's not forget that last April--2013, not 2014--the Sox FO agreed to report actual vs. fictional attendance and have been doing so ever since.  What the heck happened?

One thing that may or may not have been related was the Sox actually looked like last year's team.  12 hits, plus some other hard hit balls the Indians caught for outs.  5 runs.  Very good start by Lester who looked pretty dominant from the outset--I think he went 7.2 innings with 1 earned run (his own error led to the unearned run).  And a terrific play by Bradley in CF.  I thought the throw was terrific, but it was the whole play that grabbed me.  First he had to catch that ball over his shoulder while almost crashing into the wall.  Then he had to push off the wall, turn around, see 1B, and then unleash that throw.   I truly think it is possible the crowd helped the team, who had to be astounded the stands were so packed after a very bad road trip.  . 

[/QUOTE]

FANS STILL LOVE THE RED SOX...NO MATTER WHAT!!  IF THEY NEVER HAVE WON THE 2004 WS TITLE, WHO KNOW THAT THEY COULD BE ON THE CONTINUE CURSED AS WELL THE ATTENDANCE FOR LAST NITE GAME WOULD EASILY DROP TO 20,000'S!!

BUT NOW THEY WON THREE TITLES, AND THE GAME WILL BE FILLED NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR BAD IS THE TEAM THIS YEAR.  THEY ALL KNOW THAT THE TEAM WILL GET STRONGER IN THE FUTURE WITH ALL THESE TALENTS IN THE FARM SYSTEM AS WELL WITH ALL THAT MONEY THAT WILL BE AVAIABLE FOR THIS COMING OFF SEASON.  THEY LL BE FINE FOR A WHILE.

I WOULD GO TO THE GAME LAST NITE OR TONITE OR ETC IF I AM LIVING IN BOSTON OR VISITING THE CITY OF BOSTON

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It could be the dark days of the 90s and I would still cherish a night at Fenway.  No place I would rather be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

baseball heaven.

if field of dreams really happened those dead players would appear at fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Watching Lester pitch might be a bigger draw than people realize.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Not everyone is a sad, jaundiced old loser whose only "pleasure" is to b1tch and mo@n about how bad everything is.  Some people - including me last night - actually enjoy baseball and had a great time at the park.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To expand slightly on my OP.  I would buy all that "magic of Fenway" stuff if I hadn't actually gone to a couple of games there 2-3 years ago.  Great ambiance, excellent team (mine), horrible sight lines.  I paid a lot of money and barely saw the game. 

More to the point, while the Sox did set the record for most consecutive sold out games, that stopped over a year ago.  Actually, it ended sometime in 2012, but the Sox found a way to keep reporting inflated numbers.  Last year that stopped because it was disadvantageous.  Better for Sox fans to know they actually could get seats at games.  So last year the average attendance reported was under 35,000 per game.  This year the average attendance is so far 36,186, over 1500 below last night, which was a game that should have been 1000 or so below this year's average:  Sox not hitting well, back from a bad road trip, Indians nothing special, rain threatening, etc.  I do think this shows the enormous loyalty of the RSN, beyond question.  And I think it's possible the players responded with a terrific win given the recent road trip. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I took my elder daughter (been before) and her Brazilian partner (first game) last night.  It was great overall and we all had a great time. Lots of annoying things to me...the plethora of adverts, crappy rock music all the time, outrageous prices for rubbish beer and even worse food, etc...but it's still a great night out and overall a better experience than most parks in most sports can deliver.

So I will not complain about it...don't effffing go if it makes you so unhappy.  I can't stand complainers, particularly as most/all won't actually do anything about their perceived problem.

Note - Max, this is not directed at you or anyone in particular!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Since they are world series champs some people may have bought their tickets before the season started.  They have them, they paid for them so they might as well go.

After 04' before the season started I had to sit in a virtual waiting room forever to get tickets for games at fenway.  They were even hard to get at camden yards.  You had to get them before the season started or early in the season if you wanted them.

They count attendance as tickets sold not bodies in seats.  The ticket agencies buy up a lot of tickets so that helps boost attendance records.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There's just few options socially to do in Boston...:-)

Sections
Shortcuts