An ALTERNATIVE to the game threads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

An ALTERNATIVE to the game threads

There's a thread on this board called "MENTAL LAPSES", started by Ex-Pitch.
    It's evolution explores key moments of a given game. Unlike the game thread, it's more complex, and the discussion is quite civil.

I'm wondering what UR thoughts are about a thread that discusses each game along the same lines, only involving key (game swaying) plays, both good and bad.
    If you think the idea has any merit, let's try it with this thread, beginning with the May 10th game vs. Toronto and see where it goes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Re: Game thread alternative

In Response to Game thread alternative:
    There's a thread on this board called "MENTAL LAPSES", started by Ex-Pitch. It's evolution explores key moments of a given game. Unlike the game thread, it's more complex, and the discussion is quite civil. I'm wondering what UR thoughts are about a thread that discusses each game along the same lines, involving key plays, both good and bad. If you think the idea has any merit, let's try it with this thread, beginning with the May 10th game vs. Toronto and see where it goes.
    Posted by harness

http://youtu.be/RyrNaiTWL7g

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, probably. It depends on who cares to contribute. If much of the discussion is held after the game, it won't be as emotionally charged. No harm in trying...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: An ALTERNATIVE to the game threads

At least Los can cut and paste - that ads forum value

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What on earth does cut and paste have to do with this concept?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not into the mental lapses thesis, sorry. 

I thought Cameron should have tried for 3B even though he was out.  When Scutaro tried to score from 1st on a shot off the green monster, he was wrong (or didn't see the hold sign from the 3B coach or whatever), but, guess what?  Last night Iglesias did exactly the same thing and it was a close play, but he was safe.  On the replay, it was obvious Iglesias paused at 2B to be sure it was off the wall--something Francona commented on after the game--but Iglesias was quick enough to make it home.  Was there any applause for the 3B coach who waved him home?  Heck, no. 

And that's my problem with the mental lapses thing--it's constantly negative.  There is no room for complimenting players for mental alertness. 

If we all follow expitch's lead and apparently harness's willing support, by the end of the season we will be convincing ourselves that the Sox are the dumbest team in the majors simply because they make outs when, with 20-20 hindsight and all the time in the world to consider what happened, we think they could have swung at the right pitch or stayed at a base or kept running or thrown to a different player or whatever. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread alternative:
    Yeah, probably. It depends on who cares to contribute. If much of the discussion is held after the game, it won't be as emotionally charged. No harm in trying...
    Posted by harness

Don't you people have jobs?? Wink

I'm lucky I got the end of the game. Never mind any after-game discussion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sounds like a plan.  Being in New York, I rely on MLB.com Game Day, cuz I can't see spending money for the NESN feed,  and going back and forth for every play gets kind of old kind of fast.  Saving the effort for the big plays is a way to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

If Expitch starts and moderates the thread, yes. If it's you, no!

Let's start with Bellsbury's baserunning blunder, against the hapless Mariners.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

In Response to Re: An ALTERNATIVE to the game threads:
    I'm not into the mental lapses thesis, sorry.  I thought Cameron should have tried for 3B even though he was out.  When Scutaro tried to score from 1st on a shot off the green monster, he was wrong (or didn't see the hold sign from the 3B coach or whatever), but, guess what?  Last night Iglesias did exactly the same thing and it was a close play, but he was safe.  On the replay, it was obvious Iglesias paused at 2B to be sure it was off the wall--something Francona commented on after the game--but Iglesias was quick enough to make it home.  Was there any applause for the 3B coach who waved him home?  Heck, no.  And that's my problem with the mental lapses thing--it's constantly negative.  There is no room for complimenting players for mental alertness.  If we all follow expitch's lead and apparently harness's willing support, by the end of the season we will be convincing ourselves that the Sox are the dumbest team in the majors simply because they make outs when, with 20-20 hindsight and all the time in the world to consider what happened, we think they could have swung at the right pitch or stayed at a base or kept running or thrown to a different player or whatever. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

I agree with you. I've seen gamethreads on other forums get destroyed and enemies made by armchair "experts". There is an old saying that "an empty drum makes the most noise." A thread like this is likely to divide those who are reasonable against those who are over passionate. Time seems to temper rash unsubstantiated opinions that change after a few days. A thread the next day is too soon for the imbeciles who react without thinking to cool off.

P.S. - Why is the thread title in red while the others are in black?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To answer UR question, yesterday's game thread was also pinned in red. It replaced Dottie's other thread (prize give-away).
    I don't know if the plan was to put all game threads in red, but I doubt BDC would be available to do that every day.

This way, one thread can cover the key elements of each game.

Max: To address your concern, this isn't gonna be a "mental lapses" thread. It's about discussing game-altering plays. This will involve the great plays that allow us to win games - and the poor ones that our costly. Debating the merits of a given play can allow us to see "the other side". That's what this board is all about.

You make a good point about Bogar waving Iggy home. Keep in mind Iggy was running on a 3-2 pitch to begin with. But your point about Bogar is strong, and just bringing it out may open minds.

Niz alluded to the fact he doesn't get all the live feed. I'm sure others are in the same boat. But at least he can capture the important moments on this thread, as I'm sure links will be available.

I obviously share the concern about heated discussions. I don't want this to be seen in the same fashion as a game thread. IT IS NOT. If I see this thread is creating board division, I'll request to BDC that it be removed.

Passionate fans earmark passionate discussions. It's up to us to try and get our points across within the same tone we would expect in return. Let's try not to get too caught up in being right, as much as simply pointing out areas that others may have missed.

Whether this concept will work or not...is up to us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

At least Los can cut and paste - that ads forum value
    Posted by BurritoT

Careful Burrito, sheriff been sending alot of posters to gitmo lately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

RedSox vs. Toronto - May 10th: The key plays.

Well, I was hoping for a positive slant to begin with! If you believe in momentum, it sure changed in a hurry with the Ells pick-off at 2nd. That play was executed beautifully, but Ells was hardly alert. That could have been a nice inning to set the pace of the game. Now the challenge will be to not let Drabek get into a good grove.

Let's keep away from the Ellsbury bias and just admit he was out to lunch on that one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: An ALTERNATIVE to the game threads : I agree with you. I've seen gamethreads on other forums get destroyed and enemies made by armchair "experts". There is an old saying that "an empty drum makes the most noise." A thread like this is likely to divide those who are reasonable against those who are over passionate. Time seems to temper rash unsubstantiated opinions that change after a few days. A thread the next day is too soon for the imbeciles who react without thinking to cool off. P.S. - Why is the thread title in red while the others are in black?
    Posted by DeweyBoston4

"game threads on other forums get destroyed" you mean like PIKE did DEWEY??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Please J-BAY. I just et!
    Let's keep the paranoia minimized. It won't take but a short fuse to set off an explosion here!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

RedSox vs. Toronto - May 10th: The key plays. Well, I was hoping for a positive slant to begin with! If you believe in momentum, it sure changed in a hurry with the Ells pick-off at 2nd. That play was executed beautifully, but Ells was hardly alert. That could have been a nice inning to set the pace of the game. Now the challenge will be to not let Drabek get into a good grove. Let's keep away from the Ellsbury bias and just admit he was out to lunch on that one.
    Posted by harness

Without a doubt, Harness, there will be plenty of positive slants to this discussion in the future - I do believe that.  But wow, this team needs to get it together - too many pick-offs, botched plays that appear to be fairly routine, and running into outs, swinging at balls out of the strike zone when ahead in the count, balks, etc. The Red Sox are generally very sound fundamentally, and this group should be no different.  

On the other hand, Crawford's single was pretty big.  I was getting a feeling that we may not score there.  One run towards chipping away - we know Lester can hold them.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

not paranoia harness, fact.  keep him over here. he's ruined the game threads all year and some have left because of it. same MO, sayings over and over and over. you can have him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't want him! I'm just not aware of who "he" is?
    DeweyBoston4 has only 5 posts. Is Pike doing this with other newbies?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

well i am. i'm done with the BS harness and i'm calling it as i see it, when i see it. 5 posts, the first at 5:45, one was reporting frank as an imposter, which is ironic, especially after yesterday, one here, one on the game thread with the same crap. if you want to talk off line harness, ask BDC for my email. i'll let them know to give it to you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, I saw that. In fact, I just called "Dewey" out on it on the BDC thread.
    BDC has been pretty alert lately so I doubt any new Pike identity will have a long posting life. I too am tired of the BS. I just don't want to start accusing the wrong posters. That would be even more harmful.
    But I know just where UR coming from.

The Sox are hanging in this one. Toronto could have opened it up already. Lester has kept his composure, which is saying something given the early tight strike zone. That could be key.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ortiz hit a solo shot. chip away. lester kept it from unraveling but he doesnt look like he has his best stuff.

i hear ya harness. if i had any doubts i wouldnt do it. it's the same routine over and over. everyone is welcome to post here for better or worse and we have both, just be yourself, honest and follow the posting policy. actually i think we should try one game thread.

wow gunned down crawford at the plate

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bang bang play. Well worth the risk IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

ya had to send him with his speed and two outs. triple off lester.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

so much for the triple! got'em. harness come on over to the game thread. good group. look at the post in response to dewey by jete.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Why is Lester so off his game today.  I hope he will be back to self in next start in Bronx, if not, he will get lit up like July 4 evening on Charles river.

Sections
Shortcuts