An Analysis on OFs that Sox may be interested in

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: An Analysis on OFs that Sox may be interested in

I wonder why, and if anyone has any idea please let me know, why the Red Sox seem so down on Linares?

I didn't think he should come right up out of AA last year, and got in a back and forth with Tom UK about it, but I thought for sure he would get a call up in September.  He is excellent on D and has power.

I would not hate an OF or Ells, Ross, Linares, Kalish and Pods. 

I am not saying it a great OF but money could be spend in other areas that would be a bigger need.

and of course I would not overspend on Ross.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cashman has been told to stay under the cap when the new CBA kicks in. End of story.

[/QUOTE]

And let's hope he does.

I want to see the Sox get back to an OF with good range, great arms, great OBP, and good power.  Not sure that is achievable all in one off-season, but the FO needs to set that as a goal and continue working on it until it is done.  Unfortunately, I am not aware that there is such a realization with the FO.  Reddick would have been a good fit, based on those criteria.  Oh, and forget the SB thing.  It was a nice dimension in 2004, and very important in the one game when Roberts stole 2nd (as a PH), but what made Damon so great as a leadoff hitter was his ability to get on base, not steal 2nd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cashman has been told to stay under the cap when the new CBA kicks in. End of story.

[/QUOTE]

And let's hope he does.

I want to see the Sox get back to an OF with good range, great arms, great OBP, and good power.  Not sure that is achievable all in one off-season, but the FO needs to set that as a goal and continue working on it until it is done.  Unfortunately, I am not aware that there is such a realization with the FO.  Reddick would have been a good fit, based on those criteria.  Oh, and forget the SB thing.  It was a nice dimension in 2004, and very important in the one game when Roberts stole 2nd (as a PH), but what made Damon so great as a leadoff hitter was his ability to get on base, not steal 2nd.

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, but Reddick's OBP was pretty brutal (.305) & he whiffed 151 times. I'm not sure if there is anyone out there who didn't like that trade at the time, and I'm not so sure the Sox won't benefit from it when it is all said and done. 

An outfield with "one" good arm is pretty rare these days, possibly because kids just don't throw enough anymore to build up their arm strength.  I'm a big believer in defense and the Sox have had some pretty brutal defensive outfielders over the last few years, but hopefully it will change soon enough.  They can hide a bad defender in left, especially when they have a centerfielder who covers a lot of ground, but they obviously need a good defensive outfielder in right, especially at Fenway. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Which is why Hunter is not a bad idea on a 2-year deal, if he can be had.  Ross/Kalish in LF, Ells or Bradley in CF and Hunter in RF would be both a defensive and an offensive upgrade.  Down the line, Brentz, Bradley and Kalish would be plus arms, and Lin and Linares would be strong defenders off the bench.  Time and experience will tell if they develop decent power and on-base skills.  Bradley and Brentz sure show real promise.  Kalish is only two injury-filled years from being heir apparent RF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Which is why Hunter is not a bad idea on a 2-year deal, if he can be had.  Ross/Kalish in LF, Ells or Bradley in CF and Hunter in RF would be both a defensive and an offensive upgrade.  Down the line, Brentz, Bradley and Kalish would be plus arms, and Lin and Linares would be strong defenders off the bench.  Time and experience will tell if they develop decent power and on-base skills.  Bradley and Brentz sure show real promise.  Kalish is only two injury-filled years from being heir apparent RF.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% that Tori Hunter would be a perfect fit, on and off the field, on a two year deal, even if it's a slight overpay.  He likes it in Anaheim and they supposedly want him back, so it won't be easy.  He's tight with Ortiz, which obviously would help.  I'm sure they'll explore that option this winter...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

I don't want to talk about a recovering addict as if he's totally fragile (but to be fair, he's had relapses recently), but if the money's close he should just stay in Texas. He seems to have things reasonably under-control there. LA and New York offer temptations, and if the stress and media pressure in Boston is what others have complained about I don't know if he should be here either. He's got a good thing going in Texas, he should stay there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20121008-re-signing-ross-would-be-a-good-start-to-solving-corner-outfield-woes.ece

[/QUOTE]

I think JoeB brought up Tori Hunter's name a while ago.

He'd make a good, short term outfield option.

I'd take Victorino too.

If another team doesn't give him the deal he wants, give him a one or two year deal to boost his stats, like Beltre did.

[/QUOTE]

I also brought up Hunter about a month ago. Id have to go through my posts to find it. Softy obviously bashed me for it. But i think he would be a good bridge to the kids.

I thought on a 1-2 year deal, low years low $$, Hunter could be a good presence in that clubhouse as well as still give you good production and defense. He ended the season batting over .300 with an OBP north of .350.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kalish was not 100 percent all last year.

I still have hope he can be a .280 15 homer 20 steals guy that plays good D.

[/QUOTE]

I still believe he can be snake. problem is hes been injured for the last few years. Makes me wonder if we will every see his full potential for any length of time. I hope so, cause the talent is certainly there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross - LF,    B.J. Upton - CF,    Justin Upton - RF.

Trade Ells for pitching or prospects to send to Dbacks(along with more, of course) for Justin.

B.J. being a FA...  offer him 5/80(16m per). 

Cody deserves 4/40 to resign.

Pitching just needs minor tweaking IMOP...  Lester, Buch just had sub-par seasons'. 

Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, De la Rosa/Tazawa for starting 5.

Lineup of......

Pedie, Justin, B.J., Papi, Cody, Middlebrooks, Salty, Mauro G., Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

The Upton brothers? Both Uptons have been inconsistent at best IMO. Your suggesting we should unload our CF and lots of future talent for 3 years of Justin and sign his even more inconsistent brother for 16mm per and 5 years? Add the fact that both have been connected with having attitude issues. I dont agree with those moves at all. Id rather keep Ells or trade him for pitching that we keep. JU will cost too much in prospects for 3 years and his numbers have been up and down from year to year and BJ has hasnt come close to deserving a 5/80 deal IMO

I love Cody Ross too, but not at 4yrs/40mm...at the most 3yrs/21mm

Your pitching assessment is just about right, except I think they get another arm this off season and give DeLaRosa time to get back to normal from TJS. He still needs to build his stamina, velocity and feel for his pitches. That and hes had some control issues Im sure they would want to work out in AAA first.

They need to find a 1b because Gomez , IMO, is not a FT player. Hes 28 and was still in AAA for a reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If the Sox want to be bold , they go all in on Hamilton. The other names out there are not going to make much difference. As for our prospects , it is highly doubtful that Kalish or Bradley will ever come close to being the player that Hamilton is. Same thing with Brentz and Linares.  If they don't want to roll the dice on Hamilton, then they should try to re-sign Ellsbury and add a guy like Upton. Either Upton will do.  Ross will never be more than an average player.  Load up with mediocre players , and you will have a mediocre team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20121008-re-signing-ross-would-be-a-good-start-to-solving-corner-outfield-woes.ece

[/QUOTE]

I think JoeB brought up Tori Hunter's name a while ago.

He'd make a good, short term outfield option.

I'd take Victorino too.

If another team doesn't give him the deal he wants, give him a one or two year deal to boost his stats, like Beltre did.

[/QUOTE]

I also brought up Hunter about a month ago. Id have to go through my posts to find it. Softy obviously bashed me for it. But i think he would be a good bridge to the kids.

I thought on a 1-2 year deal, low years low $$, Hunter could be a good presence in that clubhouse as well as still give you good production and defense. He ended the season batting over .300 with an OBP north of .350.

[/QUOTE]

Credit given! ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

interesting thread Pike.

I would def take a chance on Hunter for a year or two.  Kalish just doesnt seem to be the answer.

depending on where hamilton's years/salary goes i would not rule that out yet either.

hamilton -----  ells  ------  hunter

interesting OF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

par-------------- I like the idea of Ross working around 1 B. Perhaps splitting the duty with Gomez.

I would prefer to see VMart return and play 1 B fulltime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox decides to part with Ellsbury this winter, Ben will try to sign Bourn to replace Ells.  I don't mind Hamilton in Sox uni but I can live without him also and I don't see Ben going after him seriously.  Trade for Choo to be our everyday RF.  Top of the league in OBP, 20-20 guy with elite defensive skill.  Ross might settle for 3 yrs at $30M and will have to shift to LF if Choo comes to Boston. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If Ortiz is allowed to sign elsewhere (will anyone really offer him what he wants?), then Hamilton is not only more of a possibility, but also more of a neccessity.  LH power would be a huge need. 

To me the money difference between the two is commensurate with their overall value.  So, I think that rather than "disprespect" Papi with a 2-year, $25-30 million deal, just get more value by spending more money and go 5 years and $110-120 for Hamilton.  He brings more offense and is 5-years younger, and he not only plays defense, but at a high level (He would easily be the best R or LF option this team now has redy, IMO). 

But, if Papi is resigned, stay away from Hamilton.  All remaining FA monies should be offered to the best pitchers available.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

If Ortiz is allowed to sign elsewhere (will anyone really offer him what he wants?), then Hamilton is not only more of a possibility, but also more of a neccessity.  LH power would be a huge need. 

To me the money difference between the two is commensurate with their overall value.  So, I think that rather than "disprespect" Papi with a 2-year, $25-30 million deal, just get more value by spending more money and go 5 years and $110-120 for Hamilton.  He brings more offense and is 5-years younger, and he not only plays defense, but at a high level (He would easily be the best R or LF option this team now has redy, IMO). 

But, if Papi is resigned, stay away from Hamilton.  All remaining FA monies should be offered to the best pitchers available.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you but we have Ben as our GM who might not have guts to pull off that huge deal. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I see the Sox needing to get one good arm and one good bat in the offseason and don't care whether the good bat goes to 1B or the OF. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you but we have Ben as our GM who might not have guts to pull off that huge deal. 

[/QUOTE]

Giving Hamilton multiple years (6+) and well north of 100mm doesnt take guts, it takes an IQ below room temperature.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Giving Hamilton multiple years (6+) and well north of 100mm doesnt take guts, it takes an IQ below room temperature.

[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing Hamilton will get over $150mill for like 6 or 7 years.  I also keep hearing how many teams do not want to be involved.

This is the most interesting FA candidate in history...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The ideal scenario for the Sox: Seattle decides to trade us Felix for Lester,Ellsbury and prospects,the Sox sign Hamilton and put him in LF,If no Felix they take a flier on Peavy and or Grienke or send Ellsbury to Miami for Johnson and prospects. If they can't ink Ross then move on and find a replacement,  as for Kalish he's just another overblown Theo prospect. I'd say this fixes all the issues with this team but I know better. 1B,C,and SS have to be addressed  is Gomez the starting 1b next season? Salty and Lavarnway Pee Yew! Iggy can save the day defensively but the question still remains can he hit MLB pitching,in any case if he can hit .250 and play the D like he does he's the starting SS without any reservations. Hopefully that number 7 pick in the draft is the best pitcher availible named Mark Appel.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both Uptons are overrated.

No to Hunter.

No to Victorino

"For the right price" for Swisher.  I'd say a three-year, $25 million deal?  

[/QUOTE]

Swisher will get better offers than that inside fortune cookies.

Interesting, you would tke Swisher for 3 eyars, but J Upton is only signed for 3 more years (for $39mill - or exactly what Rafael Furcal signed his last contract for.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt very much that the Red Sox or my Yankees will spend heavily for the top free agents and take the risks for long term contracts. The penalties down the road are going to be huge for those who exceed the revenue sharing and luxury tax limits. From now on the name of the game will be to develope your own talent and only fill holes with your wallet.Our fan bases need to be patient.

[/QUOTE]

Unlike your Yankees, the Sox are in no danger of exceeding the luxury tax threshold, even if they overpay for Hamilton AND Peavy.  Right now the Sox have the lowest payroll obligation in the ALE, with the possible exception of the Rays.