An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves

Dear Alfredo,

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you how thankful I am that you are a member of the Boston Red Sox.

The reason I am doing so is that I understand you are not pleased with the decision made to not put you in the starting line up at the beginning of this season.  I felt a small pang of disappointment for you.  

Please know that we appreciate what an extraordinary talent you are.  Last season you were so very valuable in almost every place and way that the Red Sox chose to use you.  You were so outstanding in that almost everyone was amazed that you were so productive and so reliable no matter what was asked of you.

That is a rare quality.  Extremely rare.  No matter where you were handed the baseball, the team had, and we fans had, complete confidence that you would come through.  We often marveled that you were so effective, so good.  I cannot remember many in my life that have had this superb quality.  Or rather that had this ability with such high effectiveness.

That did present a problem, though.

You were so good in so many places that if the Red Sox used you in only one role, we would lose your effectiveness elsewhere.  And the team needed you in all those places, not just one.

"Let Aceves do it."   No matter what the situation, it seemed to us that could be the answer. I cannot tell you how valuable that made you!

So when you wanted to be a starter, some of us felt we would miss your excellent work in other spots. 

And now that the team has chosen to ask you to do that same excellent all around work, I know it wasn't what you wanted.  But please know that we are very, very happy that you are going to be the man we can count on in all those many spots.

You are a rare talent, sir.  We appreciate it greatly.  Maybe knowing that might take the bite out of not starting.  You deserve to know we are very happy you are that special pitcher we can count on.

Looking forward to another excellent year with you as a Red Sox!

And thank you, at least one more time...

Blessings,

SinceYaz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves

WELL SAID YAZ!  VERY TIMELY!  I WISH HE COULD READ THIS, & KNOW HOW PREVALENT THIS FEELING IS IN RSN!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You need to thank Brian Cashman too; he's always willing to help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Nice one, Yaz.  My only change would be making the salutation "Dear Mr. Aceves" but then I'm quite formal about such things.

Following visits to see my sister who moved to Louisiana 20 years ago I've adopted the southern style of address for my children to use i.e. "Mr. John", "Ms. Susan", etc.  I think it's a wonderful way to combine informality with respect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves:
    [QUOTE]You need to thank Brian Cashman too; he's always willing to help.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Thank you Brian.

Aceves has been a monster both here and NY.  Even before he landed here, I said he deserved some MVP votes in 2009.  He comes into a tie game in the 5th/6th, and you're in great shape.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Nice one, Yaz.  My only change would be making the salutation "Dear Mr. Aceves" but then I'm quite formal about such things. Following visits to see my sister who moved to Louisiana 20 years ago I've adopted the southern style of address for my children to use i.e. "Mr. John", "Ms. Susan", etc.  I think it's a wonderful way to combine informality with respect.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

I actually struggled with which address to use.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Excellent post! And I think the use of the informal "Alfredo" is perfectly within our rights as proud members of the Red Sox Nation family. I'm glad you posted this, because I know at some point soon a Boston sports writer, (likely my old and utterly irascible friend Dan Shaughnessy), will complain that he didn't scream out "Thank you sir-may I have another!" after being moved. It won't matter that he did as asked, they will find fault or strain to hear one word of complaint. Yours was a breath of fresh air. Stay classy SinceYaz!

In Response to An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves:
    [QUOTE]Dear Alfredo,   I would like to take this opportunity to tell you how thankful I am that you are a member of the Boston Red Sox.   The reason I am doing so is that I understand you are not pleased with the decision made to not put you in the starting line up at the beginning of this season.  I felt a small pang of disappointment for you.      Please know that we appreciate what an extraordinary talent you are.  Last season you were so very valuable in almost every place and way that the Red Sox chose to use you.  You were so outstanding in that almost everyone was amazed that you were so productive and so reliable no matter what was asked of you.    That is a rare quality.  Extremely rare.  No matter where you were handed the baseball, the team had, and we fans had, complete confidence that you would come through.  We often marveled that you were so effective, so good.  I cannot remember many in my life that have had this superb quality.  Or rather that had this ability with such high effectiveness.    That did present a problem, though.    You were so good in so many places that if the Red Sox used you in only one role, we would lose your effectiveness elsewhere.  And the team needed you in all those places, not just one.    "Let Aceves do it."   No matter what the situation, it seemed to us that could be the answer. I cannot tell you how valuable that made you!      So when you wanted to be a starter, some of us felt we would miss your excellent work in other spots.    And now that the team has chosen to ask you to do that same excellent all around work, I know it wasn't what you wanted.  But please know that we are very, very happy that you are going to be the man we can count on in all those many spots.   You are a rare talent, sir.  We appreciate it greatly.  Maybe knowing that might take the bite out of not starting.  You deserve to know we are very happy you are that special pitcher we can count on.   Looking forward to another excellent year with you as a Red Sox!   And thank you, at least one more time...   Blessings,     SinceYaz
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]You need to thank Brian Cashman too; he's always willing to help.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I thanked my good friend Brian last year.

Maybe not in letters ....    :o)

It was around the All Star break...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: An Open Letter of Appreciationto Alfredo Aceves:
    [QUOTE]Excellent post! And I think the use of the informal "Alfredo" is perfectly within our rights as proud members of the Red Sox Nation family. I'm glad you posted this, because I know at some point soon a Boston sports writer, (likely my old and utterly irascible friend Dan Shaughnessy), will complain that he didn't scream out "Thank you sir-may I have another!" after being moved. It won't matter that he did as asked, they will find fault or strain to hear one word of complaint. Yours was a breath of fresh air. Stay classy SinceYaz! In Response to An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Thanks Teakus ... I just wanted the guy to know how important he is to us. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Great post, Yaz. I thought he was the MVP for the team last season. If they had made it to the playoffs, who knows? I don't think we'd be anywhere near it without him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Great post, Yaz. I thought he was the MVP for the team last season. If they had made it to the playoffs, who knows? I don't think we'd be anywhere near it without him.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kim,

Ells comes to mind, too, but AA was surely AAA!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vsports. Show vsports's posts

Nice to see Aceves getting some love from his new team's fans.  I was sad to see him leave the Yankees for many of the reasons Boston fans now love him.  He did it all out of the pen and was a solid spot starter.  Competent is the word.  I even continue to follow him and wish him (except again the Yankees of course).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Yeah, he was a nice addition for us. Good luck to you rapscallians this season! I suspect between the Tigers, Angels, Rays, and Rangers we're gonna all be in for a rough ride this season. In fact, I will go on record now and say the winner of the AL East this yr won't win 95 games. I'm going with the Yanks at 93 wins.

[QUOTE]Nice to see Aceves getting some love from his new team's fans.  I was sad to see him leave the Yankees for many of the reasons Boston fans now love him.  He did it all out of the pen and was a solid spot starter.  Competent is the word.  I even continue to follow him and wish him (except again the Yankees of course).
    Posted by vsports[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to An Open Letter of Appreciation to Alfredo Aceves:
    [QUOTE]Dear Alfredo,   I would like to take this opportunity to tell you how thankful I am that you are a member of the Boston Red Sox.   The reason I am doing so is that I understand you are not pleased with the decision made to not put you in the starting line up at the beginning of this season.  I felt a small pang of disappointment for you.      Please know that we appreciate what an extraordinary talent you are.  Last season you were so very valuable in almost every place and way that the Red Sox chose to use you.  You were so outstanding in that almost everyone was amazed that you were so productive and so reliable no matter what was asked of you.    That is a rare quality.  Extremely rare.  No matter where you were handed the baseball, the team had, and we fans had, complete confidence that you would come through.  We often marveled that you were so effective, so good.  I cannot remember many in my life that have had this superb quality.  Or rather that had this ability with such high effectiveness.    That did present a problem, though.    You were so good in so many places that if the Red Sox used you in only one role, we would lose your effectiveness elsewhere.  And the team needed you in all those places, not just one.    "Let Aceves do it."   No matter what the situation, it seemed to us that could be the answer. I cannot tell you how valuable that made you!      So when you wanted to be a starter, some of us felt we would miss your excellent work in other spots.    And now that the team has chosen to ask you to do that same excellent all around work, I know it wasn't what you wanted.  But please know that we are very, very happy that you are going to be the man we can count on in all those many spots.   You are a rare talent, sir.  We appreciate it greatly.  Maybe knowing that might take the bite out of not starting.  You deserve to know we are very happy you are that special pitcher we can count on.   Looking forward to another excellent year with you as a Red Sox!   And thank you, at least one more time...   Blessings,     SinceYaz
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I fully agree and thank the Yankee brass for giving up on him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Nice to see Aceves getting some love from his new team's fans.  I was sad to see him leave the Yankees for many of the reasons Boston fans now love him.  He did it all out of the pen and was a solid spot starter.  Competent is the word.  I even continue to follow him and wish him (except again the Yankees of course).
    Posted by vsports[/QUOTE]

I was surprised when he was set loose.  He did a great job w/youse guys.  I just hope he realizes that we DO appreciate him.

He's gonna get his starts in, but that isn't the same as being named a starter.  Filling in for someone else isn't the same as being that someone.  Ego.

It comes down to whether he realizes how valuable he is in the spot the Sox have assigned him to. And that is a high value.