And Francona removed Lester, why??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Re: And Francona removed Lester, why??

You have to remember who the sox have as a manager. He finds ways to lose games and this one wasn't any different. Lester unless he said he was tired should have pitched the 8th. This guy has no feel for a pitching staff and never will. I am surprised he didn't wheel out B A junkpile to pitch in the 8th. After all a 2 run lead should have been a piece of cake for him! As it was they won inspite of him. Good post and keep em coming.

In Response to And Francona removed Lester, why??:
    (93 pitches, 11 Ks, 1 walk, 5 straight shutout innings, strikes out the side in the 7th and has just a 2 run lead.) Why was a known quantity replaced with an unknown? Is a fresh Bard better than a Lester who has thrown 93 pitches and struck out the side in the previous inning? Imagine it was the top of the 9th with a 2 run lead and Lester was removed and Paps was inserted. Bingo, tie game. I know, I know they won the game, so what's the big deal? Once again Francona fixed something that wasn't broken, and it's just another win "In Spite of Francona".
    Posted by BOSOX1941

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In Response to Re: And Francona removed Lester, why??:
    You have to remember who the sox have as a manager. He finds ways to lose games and this one wasn't any different. Lester unless he said he was tired should have pitched the 8th. This guy has no feel for a pitching staff and never will. I am surprised he didn't wheel out B A junkpile to pitch in the 8th. After all a 2 run lead should have been a piece of cake for him! As it was they won inspite of him. Good post and keep em coming. In Response to And Francona removed Lester, why?? :
    Posted by REDSOX-11

Any theories on why the experts voted Tito 4th out of 14 for Mgr of the year ?  (last time around, not the 2 yrs this decade when he won championships)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Piersall, don't waste your time with Redsox-11 / Boston1941. He is a one-trick pony troll who does this bash Tito act in his sleep. Nobody takes him seriously anymore. Put him onto ignore like everyone else does. He gets his kicks out of annoying Boston fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Speed3Bri. Show Speed3Bri's posts

In Response to And Francona removed Lester, why??:
    (93 pitches, 11 Ks, 1 walk, 5 straight shutout innings, strikes out the side in the 7th and has just a 2 run lead.) Why was a known quantity replaced with an unknown? Is a fresh Bard better than a Lester who has thrown 93 pitches and struck out the side in the previous inning? Imagine it was the top of the 9th with a 2 run lead and Lester was removed and Paps was inserted. Bingo, tie game. I know, I know they won the game, so what's the big deal? Once again Francona fixed something that wasn't broken, and it's just another win "In Spite of Francona".
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Maybe HOF'er Peter Gammons can explain it to you,  and maybe it will sink in....

Gammons said. "Again, they're being very cautious, like taking [Jon] Lester out last night. And I don't think that's a bad thing in April and May, to be very cautious."

It's May 4th...  Think we might need him in say Sept/Oct or did pulling Lester take away stats from your fantasy baseball team???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Speed, logic and reason will never sink into a troll's mind. They are pretending to be concerned but are not. It is an act that you shouldn't fall for. Most have bosox1942 and redsox-11 on ignore. They are not worth your time . You might as well debate the apple tree in your backyard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Speed, logic and reason will never sink into a troll's mind. They are pretending to be concerned but are not. It is an act that you shouldn't fall for. Most have bosox1942 and redsox-11 on ignore. They are not worth your time . You might as well debate the apple tree in your backyard.
    Posted by JamaicaPlain67

Hysterical!  The funniest thing about these guys is that they can create a Tito issue on a night where NO ONE else is concerned.  He limited Lester's innings, got 1 inning from Bard and got Pap some work that he probably wanted.  What's the problem?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

If you wish to respond to Bosox1941 or his partner redsox-11 then you should just humor them or ridicule them. Do not act like you are taking them seriously since that is what they desire. Call them what they are and that is a troll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Good post Chrissy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Peter Abraham also addressed this issue in the Extra Bases blog.  It was the right move.  You have pitch counts over the last 3 starts and you have Lester already on pace for his most innings pitched in his career.  If you can save innings from your work horse early in the season, he is that much fresher at the end of the year. 

As for Papelbon, I thought I heard on the pre-game show that they said he was asked if he wanted to come in with the score 7-1 and he said yes.  That is why he still came in to pitch the 9th.  You see that often.  If a closer gets warmed up, they bring him in even if it is not a save situation.  All teams do that. 

Finally, when a pitcher knows an inning is his last, he can give it everything he has for that inning, or that final batter.  That is why many times you see a pitcher strike out a guy at the end, because he holds nothing back.  No need to save anything for the next inning.  Think of it as a distance runner sprinting to the finish line at the end of the race.  It is quite possible Lester was told the 7th inning was his last.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Excellent post, Fizsh. Good insight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure I want Lester at 33 starts and 240 IP and then have to pitch 5-6 more game in the playoffs.

He's on pace for 33/220 now and traditionally pitchers start the season out with less innings per start in April.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Peter Abraham also addressed this issue in the Extra Bases blog.  It was the right move.  You have pitch counts over the last 3 starts and you have Lester already on pace for his most innings pitched in his career.  If you can save innings from your work horse early in the season, he is that much fresher at the end of the year.  As for Papelbon, I thought I heard on the pre-game show that they said he was asked if he wanted to come in with the score 7-1 and he said yes.  That is why he still came in to pitch the 9th.  You see that often.  If a closer gets warmed up, they bring him in even if it is not a save situation.  All teams do that.  Finally, when a pitcher knows an inning is his last, he can give it everything he has for that inning, or that final batter.  That is why many times you see a pitcher strike out a guy at the end, because he holds nothing back.  No need to save anything for the next inning.  Think of it as a distance runner sprinting to the finish line at the end of the race.  It is quite possible Lester was told the 7th inning was his last.   
    Posted by fizsh

All this is very reasonable which is why 1941 won't understand it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pity the elements prevented Josh from going deeper tonight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

yes, at one time i thought yankee fans were the most ignorant and arrogant fans in baseball; however, this board has taught me that i was wrong.
    i love the SOX; it's their fans that i hope finish last.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good post Chrissy.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

it took you 2 1/2 hours for THAT reply?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

yes, at one time i thought yankee fans were the most ignorant and arrogant fans in baseball; however, this board has taught me that i was wrong. i love the SOX; it's their fans that i hope finish last.
    Posted by byebyeepstein

What does a fan finishing last actually mean?  How does a fan finish last?  I know I enjoy finishing last.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: And Francona removed Lester, why?? : it took you 2 1/2 hours for THAT reply?
    Posted by southpaw777

I recored the game and I watched it after it was over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Perhaps if the guy would actually manage and win some games people would not have enough ammunition to fire insults. He makes it easy with his "lost" style of managing in games. If the game is close the sox will more than likely lose because of his idiotic decisions. Is there anything about that you do not understand?

Piersall, don't waste your time with Redsox-11 / Boston1941. He is a one-trick pony troll who does this bash Tito act in his sleep. Nobody takes him seriously anymore. Put him onto ignore like everyone else does. He gets his kicks out of annoying Boston fans.
    Posted by silversteinsox

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

You talk about all this fancy recording stuff and it just goes over their heads!

In Response to Re: And Francona removed Lester, why?? : I recored the game and I watched it after it was over.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

But then again after reading your posts that would prove you wrong.

after seeing the responses to 1941's post, i'm strengthening my belief that YANKEE fans may not be the dumbest fans in baseball.
    Posted by byebyeepstein

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Even if it takes him a hour or so, that would be considerably less time than it took your mommy to explain it to you.

In Response to Re: And Francona removed Lester, why?? : It might be a while.He has to look up expound to see what it means.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerchLaw. Show PerchLaw's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

b

Sections
Shortcuts