And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW

And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!!   WOW We going to have problems if we don't get the SP and Bullpens we need.

If we keep getting players that are not good anymore like PUNTO and Shoppach we will be fighting for the third place or maybe 4 instead of the 1st place.

I am OK with the Melancon trade because it gives Cherington the flexibility of sign or trade for one more piece for the bullpen and also be able to sign the new right field which is a highly need for this team, but this sign of punto I really don't like it because we have Aviles in this team which is 10 better than punto and also we have some kids in the farm that can fill that hole left with Lowrie gone. I realize that this Deal with Punto is not big enough in Salary but the thing is that I really don't like to have someone in the lineup that can't hit because we need to step up from the collapse of last year with players that can play hard every day.

If I were Cherington now that Bard is going to be starter, I would take risk with either one of Brandon Webb, Rich Harden, or Joe Saunders for the 5 spot in the rotation while keeping Aceves in the bullpen because he will be more important in the position. I will try to trade for Bailey so that he will become our closer with melancon, Aceves, Jenks, Morales, Albers in the bullpen. Mike Gonzalez would be a nice addition if comes cheap to be our second left hander in the Pen.

If they do everything I mentioned above then they will have the money to sign Cuddyer or Beltran to play the right field but at the righ price and length of the contract.

Line Up

1. Ellsbury
    2. Pedroia
    3. Gonzalez
    4. Beltran Or Youkilis if they sign Cuddyer
    5. Papi
    6. Youkilis if they sign Beltran OR cuddyer
    7. Crawford
    8. Salty
    9. Scutaro

Rotation

1. Beckett
    2. Lester
    3. Buchholz
    4. Bard
    5. Saunders - Webb- Saunders

Bullpen

Closer  Bailey
    Melancon
    Morales
    Mike Gonzalez
    Albers
    Aceves
    Jenks
    Tazawa

Bench Players

Nick Punto
    Mike Aviles
    Darnell Mcdonald
    Kelly Shoppach

Kalish or Reddick Traded to A's for bailey in the package that would send to oakland also Lars Anderson and another prospect or two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!

When did Cherrington say that Bard will start. Vanentine said that he would like it. Do you have a link?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!

Not bad. I'm still not totally sold on Bailey. Could be because I don't know him well. But if they did everything you proposed I think we'd be in decent shape, at least to start. If Bard would pull a David Price imitation, can anyone imagine how nice that would be? Dare we dream? I don't know if he's got the mental toughness to do it. Time will soon tell. Only eight weeks or so til report day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

Cherington told Aceves and Bard to prepare to be starter so they will fight for one spot or be number 4 or 5, but I think that it would be better if they only use one of them and keep one in the pen because we really need the pen to fight next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

I dont remember them saying Punto will be the star of the team or even a starter... Cant have a bench full of all stars if we want picthing.... I dont even understand why some of you even bother to follow the Red Sox..  Never happy. we spend like crazy last year and you complain, we dont this year and you complain.  This team's offense is not the problem, we just need a few pitchers and to stay a little healthier, ie in shape for the entire season and we will be just fine.... you doom and gloomers should try rooting for some other team if the Red Sox suck so bad..... You give actual knowledgable fans a bad name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

As you, I'm not totally sold on Bailey but as I know and statistics told that he is far better than Melancon to close the games. I would love to see how Bard handle the situation of bein converted to starter, but as you said the time will tell and we can only hope that he will do well and try to do some damage with the BATTERS that we have.

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Not bad. I'm still not totally sold on Bailey. Could be because I don't know him well. But if they did everything you proposed I think we'd be in decent shape, at least to start. If Bard would pull a David Price imitation, can anyone imagine how nice that would be? Dare we dream? I don't know if he's got the mental toughness to do it. Time will soon tell. Only eight weeks or so til report day.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

Bro, I'm not saying that he will be starter but do you think that this TEAM need to spend money on NICK PUNTO? Explain me WHY because I do not understand.. I agree that we can't have the bench full of starter but again explain why you pay Nick Punto to cover the infield when you have Aviles for less money in the team. Yes we need pitchers and one right field but if you like to throw away money in players that are not needed then you are not a RED SOX FAN.

We have a good team and as you said we need couple of pitchers to complete our team and we do not need to spend big because we did so last year, we only need to find the right pieces to complete our team. But really I don't see why they sign Punto because he is only a good defensive player and our infield is very good in every aspect of the defensive from youkilis to gonzalez they are all great defenders. Also they sign Shoppach which I thought that it was unnecessary because we have Lavarnway but now I like this sign because we will stay away from Varitek and his strikeouts.

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]I dont remembe rthem saying Punto will be the star of the team or even a starter... Cant have a bench full of all stars if we want picthing.... I dont even understand why some of you even bother to follow the Red Sox..  Never happy. we spend like crazy last year and you complain, we dont this year and you comlain.  This team's offense is not the problem, we just need a few picthers and to stay a little healthier, ie in shape for the entire season and we will be just fine.... you doom and gloomers should try rooting for someo other team if the Red Sox suck so bad..... You give actual knowledgable fans a bad name.
    Posted by craig2174[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bro, I'm not saying that he will be starter but do you think that this TEAM need to spend money on NICK PUNTO? Explain me WHY because I do not understand..

I can't explain why a given number of players is the right amount.  I can't tell you why 7 is the magic number for RPs, instead of 6 or 8.  What I can tell you is that we carried both Aviles and Lowrie last year, and that we'll carry Aviles and Punto this year.

Do you have different ideas of how to chop up the 25-mnan squad?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

This is ridiculous statement.  Had Boston were healthy in all year along last year, and Boston had D-Mac, Navarro (he was traded for Avilies), Lowrie and Varitek as a bench player.  No one will complain about it cuz they would eventually probably won the AL East division.

Now people are starting to whine  over Shoppach and Prunto as a new incoming bench player.   This doesnt make any sense.

Ben C. would love to fix the major holes right now such as to find a decent #4 starting pitcher and a closer or set up man, but the prices around the MLB are ridiculous high.  While he is still researching, he is just filling in other roster spots to make up a good 25 man roster.

We all just need to be patient!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]I dont remember them saying Punto will be the star of the team or even a starter... Cant have a bench full of all stars if we want picthing.... I dont even understand why some of you even bother to follow the Red Sox..  Never happy. we spend like crazy last year and you complain, we dont this year and you complain.  This team's offense is not the problem, we just need a few pitchers and to stay a little healthier, ie in shape for the entire season and we will be just fine.... you doom and gloomers should try rooting for some other team if the Red Sox suck so bad..... You give actual knowledgable fans a bad name.
    Posted by craig2174[/QUOTE]

Well said craig. I think Punto will help coming off the bench. Craw will be much better. The Sox just need another pitcher and a righthanded bat. Go Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : Well said craig. I think Punto will help coming off the bench. Craw will be much better. The Sox just need another pitcher and a righthanded bat. Go Sox
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

I like the Shoppach pick up. He can throw out runners, something new for Sox catchers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!!   WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! If we keep getting players that are not good anymore like PUNTO and Shoppach we will be fighting for the third place or maybe 4 instead of the 1st place.
    Posted by MVP1686[/QUOTE]

Punto is coming off of a career year with an OPS over .800.  Obviously it would be silly to expect that production with his career OPS around .660, but you really can't say he isn't good anymore.He only costs about $400K more than Lowrie was projected to earn, and we significantly improve the pen.  The offense wasn't the problem last year and all significant pieces will be returning this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Welcome To "Entitlement Town".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVP1686. Show MVP1686's posts

I agree with you when you said that we have to be patient, but come on men Punto is not a good sign and you know that, you are only waiting to see that Cherington make a splash getting one good player and then say that he is making good moves. I know that we have to be patient because he is our new guy and he we have to trust in him, but when you didn't like something you have to say it because as I understand we have Scutaro SS, Pedroia 2B, Youkilis 3B, and Gonzalez 1B, so we have Aviles which is better player than Punto. If Valentine keep Punto in the Bench I will be find with that, But if he start to do the same thing as Francona did with Varitek and Wakefield (puttinf them in the lineup just because experienced) I will not like this move at all. Punto will only be a guy to play for them when they need rest or something like that, I will not want to see him very often in the line up.

[QUOTE]This is ridiculous statement.  Had Boston were healthy in all year along last year, and Boston had D-Mac, Navarro (he was traded for Avilies), Lowrie and Varitek as a bench player.  No one will complain about it cuz they would eventually probably won the AL East division. Now people are starting to whine  over Shoppach and Prunto as a new incoming bench player.   This doesnt make any sense. Ben C. would love to fix the major holes right now such as to find a decent #4 starting pitcher and a closer or set up man, but the prices around the MLB are ridiculous high.  While he is still researching, he is just filling in other roster spots to make up a good 25 man roster. We all just need to be patient!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW

Punto is one of the scrappiest, hardest working players out there, exactly what we need, welcome aboard man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Nothing against Punto - but he pipes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Why does every signing of a utility or minor league player trigger threads that pronounce organizational demise based upon it?  It must be the Curse of Boof Bonser.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW:
    [QUOTE]Why does every signing of a utility or minor league player trigger threads that pronounce organizational demise based upon it?  It must be the Curse of Boof Bonser.     
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

It's a sign that many who post on this site don't realize what it takes to put a team together, another words, starters and role players who come off the bench when needed..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I'd target Andrew Bailey, Ryan Spilborghs, Mike Gonzalez and a starter (the three you mentioned were good candidates, and to that I'd add Edwin Jackson).

Kalish is your starting RF.  Either Aceves or Bard makes the rotation.

C-Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    1B-Adrian Gonzalez
    2B-Dustin Pedroia
    3B-Kevin Youkilis
    SS-Marco Scutaro
    LF-Carl Crawford
    CF-Jacoby Ellsbury
    RF-Ryan Kalish
    DH-David Ortiz

Bench-Mike Aviles, Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Spilborghs, Nick Punto

Rotation
    Jon Lester
    Josh Beckett
    Clay Buchholz
    FA starter
    Alfredo Aceves or Daniel Bard

Bullpen
    Mike Gonzalez
    Matt Albers
    Mike Gonzalez
    Bobby Jenks
    Mark Melancon
    Bard or Aceves
    Andrew Bailey

Someone from that bullpen doesn't make the cut.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Punto is a serviceable utility guy and every team needs a couple of players like him.  I don't see any reason to blast Cherington and the sox brass.  They traded Jed and needed a replacement this is simply their response.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I gotta think they're moving Scutero's  $6 million salary. Nothing else about this makes sense to me. Kinda like the Shoppach deal....head scratchers. Lavarnway should be started NOW with Salty backing HIM up. Just sayin'...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Every team needs pieces to be a winner. Like the Melancon trade 26 yr old hard throwing reliever whose best days are in front of him. Lot to give up in Lowrie & Weiland, but addresses one of their biggest needs. Like the Punto signing also, he's 34 and reminds me of Ozzie Smith [not defensively] but the way he's made himself into a tough out. Both started careers not hitting a lick and as they got older became much better offensively. Punto had an 809 ops last year for career he's 652. He can play pretty good defense as well [not Ozzie like] and will get some big hits for RS this year just doesn't hit the long ball, but we have enough guys who can do that. Now need closer and 2 starting pitchers, but finally Ben is getting something done. Still need to get Cub comp. resolved?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW:
    [QUOTE]Why does every signing of a utility or minor league player trigger threads that pronounce organizational demise based upon it?  It must be the Curse of Boof Bonser.     
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Adding "The Curse of Boof Bonser" to the running list of "next band name".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW:
    [QUOTE]And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!!   WOW We going to have problems if we don't get the SP and Bullpens we need. If we keep getting players that are not good anymore like PUNTO and Shoppach we will be fighting for the third place or maybe 4 instead of the 1st place. I am OK with the Melancon trade because it gives Cherington the flexibility of sign or trade for one more piece for the bullpen and also be able to sign the new right field which is a highly need for this team, but this sign of punto I really don't like it because we have Aviles in this team which is 10 better than punto and also we have some kids in the farm that can fill that hole left with Lowrie gone. I realize that this Deal with Punto is not big enough in Salary but the thing is that I really don't like to have someone in the lineup that can't hit because we need to step up from the collapse of last year with players that can play hard every day. If I were Cherington now that Bard is going to be starter, I would take risk with either one of Brandon Webb, Rich Harden, or Joe Saunders for the 5 spot in the rotation while keeping Aceves in the bullpen because he will be more important in the position. I will try to trade for Bailey so that he will become our closer with melancon, Aceves, Jenks, Morales, Albers in the bullpen. Mike Gonzalez would be a nice addition if comes cheap to be our second left hander in the Pen. If they do everything I mentioned above then they will have the money to sign Cuddyer or Beltran to play the right field but at the righ price and length of the contract. Line Up 1. Ellsbury 2. Pedroia 3. Gonzalez 4. Beltran Or Youkilis if they sign Cuddyer 5. Papi 6. Youkilis if they sign Beltran OR cuddyer 7. Crawford 8. Salty 9. Scutaro Rotation 1. Beckett 2. Lester 3. Buchholz 4. Bard 5. Saunders - Webb- Saunders Bullpen Closer  Bailey Melancon Morales Mike Gonzalez Albers Aceves Jenks Tazawa Bench Players Nick Punto Mike Aviles Darnell Mcdonald Kelly Shoppach Kalish or Reddick Traded to A's for bailey in the package that would send to oakland also Lars Anderson and another prospect or two.
    Posted by MVP1686[/QUOTE]

Why go overboard on every move as if its the final one? Maybe another trade is in the works..We traded Lowrie/weiland for a 26yr old with a live arm whos under control for a few more years. They got Punto, whos  a solid defensive late game replacement who can play 3 IF positions, is a great clubhouse guy and only costs 1.5MM. At least BC isnt standing still while still looking for more arms..Id say to just sit tight until ST, BC is far from done....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : Punto is coming off of a career year with an OPS over .800.  Obviously it would be silly to expect that production with his career OPS around .660, but you really can't say he isn't good anymore.He only costs about $400K more than Lowrie was projected to earn, and we significantly improve the pen.  The offense wasn't the problem last year and all significant pieces will be returning this season.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Oh please! 166 PA's, 37 hits and 25 BBs; barely 1/4 of season. You can't boast an .800 OPS based on that small a sample. His Career OPS is .652 which is more realistic, and if it not for 2006, it wouldn't be that high.
    He has 14 HR's in 11 seasons with Rafael Belliard type numbers. He cost more than Lowrie and is 7 years older.
    Anyone who thinks Punto is better than Lowrie in delusional.