And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW

I have been pleased with Darnell McDonald's positive attitude, however, with the signing of Nick Punto, if Mike Aviles is not moved, since Mike can play some corner outfield in addition to 3 infield positionsl, I expect Darnell will not be on the ML bench. Either Ryan Kalish or Josh Reddick will be the 4 outfielder sharing RF and with a righthanded power hitting outfielder with skills good enough to play RF.  The bench is so limited when the DH does not primarily play positions that it is limited and in this case, Darnell is likely to be at a disadvantage in the 2012 Season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Nick Punto!!!! this is ridiculous!!!!  why would you want a guy with above average speed who can play small ball, walk get on base and play above average defense at all infield positions when you can go out sign Jose Reyes to be your back up infielder.

You have to plan for 162 games.  You need utility guys, and we traded one away to upgrade the bullpen.

This was a small move, but a good one.....let's not criticize every thing the sox do now because it isn't signing a big name like Pujols or Fielder. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A wrongheaded OP.  Yes, the Sox need to fix the pitching, but you also think the RF position absolutely must be fixed.  Wrong.  The Sox already had the best offense in MLB with Drew/Reddick/McDonald in RF in 2011.

As for the bullpen and starters, the problem as always is too many teams chasing after too few good arms. Thus Theo spent an arm and a leg to get Lackey, who so far has been a bust.  If they want a real stud like Hernandez, they are going to have to pay and/or give the farm to get him.

The Sox have three good starters already, and conceivably could get by with developing Bard and Aceves into starters.  I'm guessing they are going to go after one starter but also try to avoid the luxury tax in getting him.  Meanwhile, they will continue to acquire good relievers if possible. 

To be honest, I think Theo's new job is good for the Sox because he recently spent big on two busts--Lackey and Crawford.  The latter will improve, but will never be worth the salary he is getting.  The former might well improve, but when he does he will already be three years into his contract. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!

If we added Punto because we're going to be subtracting someone else soon, (like Scut's $6 million salary to finance a reliever), then I can see it. But adding him just to add him? That would be stupid. I'd play Scutero with Aviles as back-up until Iglesias is called up in September. We're allegedly trying to stay under the luxury tax threshold, and yet still have holes to fill. And what about Shoppach? Bah! Wasted move just for making a moves sake.

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : Oh please! 166 PA's, 37 hits and 25 BBs; barely 1/4 of season. You can't boast an .800 OPS based on that small a sample. His Career OPS is .652 which is more realistic, and if it not for 2006, it wouldn't be that high. He has 14 HR's in 11 seasons with Rafael Belliard type numbers. He cost more than Lowrie and is 7 years older. Anyone who thinks Punto is better than Lowrie in delusional.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!

In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Bro, I'm not saying that he will be starter but do you think that this TEAM need to spend money on NICK PUNTO? Explain me WHY because I do not understand.. I agree that we can't have the bench full of starter but again explain why you pay Nick Punto to cover the infield when you have Aviles for less money in the team. Yes we need pitchers and one right field but if you like to throw away money in players that are not needed then you are not a RED SOX FAN. We have a good team and as you said we need couple of pitchers to complete our team and we do not need to spend big because we did so last year, we only need to find the right pieces to complete our team. But really I don't see why they sign Punto because he is only a good defensive player and our infield is very good in every aspect of the defensive from youkilis to gonzalez they are all great defenders. Also they sign Shoppach which I thought that it was unnecessary because we have Lavarnway but now I like this sign because we will stay away from Varitek and his strikeouts. In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! :
    Posted by MVP1686[/QUOTE]

We only need one backup infielder! Wow. Youk played about 120 each of the past 2 seasons. Scutaro played through injuries each of the last 2 season because they had NO options! Yeah, WHY spend money on another ML proven infileder with MULTIPLE position ability? Oh, I don't know.

You must've certainly said the same things about Millar and Mueller in 04 because they were VERY comparable signings. Why spend money on a guy to only steal an occasional base either? You know, like Roberts in 04? Why sign a relative unknown to back up at first base? He was just another castoff from Minnesota. Players that everybody knows/wants cost MORE money. Teams must take chances on players. But no, I don't even understand what it is you want. If there was a way to buy 100 wins, a lot of teams would. Punto will get about 120 at bats, and probably hit 280. Why WOULDN'T you want that on the bench?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]This is ridiculous statement.  Had Boston were healthy in all year along last year, and Boston had D-Mac, Navarro (he was traded for Avilies), Lowrie and Varitek as a bench player.  No one will complain about it cuz they would eventually probably won the AL East division. Now people are starting to whine  over Shoppach and Prunto as a new incoming bench player.   This doesnt make any sense. Ben C. would love to fix the major holes right now such as to find a decent #4 starting pitcher and a closer or set up man, but the prices around the MLB are ridiculous high.  While he is still researching, he is just filling in other roster spots to make up a good 25 man roster. We all just need to be patient!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

You need to enroll in a grammar class.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : Oh please! 166 PA's, 37 hits and 25 BBs; barely 1/4 of season. You can't boast an .800 OPS based on that small a sample. His Career OPS is .652 which is more realistic, and if it not for 2006, it wouldn't be that high. He has 14 HR's in 11 seasons with Rafael Belliard type numbers. He cost more than Lowrie and is 7 years older. Anyone who thinks Punto is better than Lowrie in delusional.

I never said he was better than Lowrie overall and I explicitly stated that it would be foolish to expect him to carry an .800 OPS going forward.  I simply stated that the OP's claim that "he isn't good anymore" is blatantly false.  He's still a plus defender who is coming off of career high offensive output.  He's a utility guy, I don't want him playing more than 1/4 of the season.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : You need to enroll in a grammar class.

MULTIPLE people pick apart your complaint, and you then go here?

Weak.

You know you've lost.

Was that 'grammatically proper' enough?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If we added Punto because we're going to be subtracting someone else soon, (like Scut's $6 million salary to finance a reliever), then I can see it. But adding him just to add him? That would be stupid. I'd play Scutero with Aviles as back-up until Iglesias is called up in September. We're allegedly trying to stay under the luxury tax threshold, and yet still have holes to fill. And what about Shoppach? Bah! Wasted move just for making a moves sake. In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Teak, yeah, I mean, I have nothing against Nick Punto.  In fact, i like his scrappy azz.  But, my Spidey Sense is tingling on this one.  Has to be phase 1 of a bigger pending move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : Teak, yeah, I mean, I have nothing against Nick Punto.  In fact, i like his scrappy azz.  But, my Spidey Sense is tingling on this one.  Has to be phase 1 of a bigger pending move.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I'm not convinced.  They had a deal in place with him pending the Sox dealing Lowrie.  Seems like a replacement for Lowrie, nothing more, nothing less.  Given the injury history of our infield, it seems prudent to carry 2 players who can play all IF spots.

AGon - Shoulder
    Peddy - Foot
    Scutty - Rotator Cuff
    Youk - Hip/Oblique/Thumb/Neck/Etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

Punto is an above average defender that can play multiple positions coming off the bench. We signed this guy on the cheap so what's there to complain about? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from big_bad_bruins. Show big_bad_bruins's posts

i love punto comes to play everyday hes a dirt dog

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : You need to enroll in a grammar class.

So do you tend to discriminate against a deaf person like myself?

No wonder you are not well alike person on this board!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now the Sox Get Nick Punto!!!! WOW We going to be in third place again!!!!!! : I'm not convinced.  They had a deal in place with him pending the Sox dealing Lowrie.  Seems like a replacement for Lowrie, nothing more, nothing less.  Given the injury history of our infield, it seems prudent to carry 2 players who can play all IF spots. AGon - Shoulder Peddy - Foot Scutty - Rotator Cuff Youk - Hip/Oblique/Thumb/Neck/Etc.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm with that.  Don't get me wrong.  I am happy to have Punto in the fold as utility guy.