And the magic number is ....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hehe

just kidding,

But this sure feels better than the last two starts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: And the magic number is ....

So far, it has been a very exciting team to watch!!!   :)

I hope Iggy is alright. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Agreed, agreed ... wouldn't it be sad if his stay was shortened by injury?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Good morning SinceYaz   :)

I agree with you--it would be very sad.  I hope Iggy is okay. 

It was nice to see 45,000 Blue Jays fans boo Farrell and the Red Sox only to see their team lose.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nice stepup by Ciriaco.  This is where pennants are won and lost.  Lat year, we had pitiful depth.

Now, we lose papi, and JBJ steps in.  We lose Breslow and Morales, and we have Mortensen.  If/when we lose an SP, hopefully Webster is ready, maybe even Barnes for a spot start late in the season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Excellent OP, including the "hehe." 

I think the magic number is 25, the number on the active roster. 

For years I always thought 25 was a lot of guys to cover just 9 positions, especially when 9 of them normally play every day.  But you have to cut that number in half because most managers want and get 12 guys to cover one position which in the AL doesn't even come to bat. 

That's 5 starters and 7 relievers, and normally all of them get used a lot.  All 7 relievers--Hanrahan (2 saves), Bailey, Uehara, Tazawa, Aceves, Miller, and Mortensen-- have already pitched, and 4--Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, and Doubront-- of the 5 starters have. 

Of the remaining 13 position players, 12 have played and contributed--Gomes, Saltalamacchia, Ross, Nava, Napoli, Pedroia, Iglesias, Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Bradley, Ellsbury, and Victorino. 

Lackey starts today, and Carp continues to be brilliant in reserve, thrilled to just be on the team. 

The team ERA of 3.60 is respectable, right in the middle (7th) of the AL.  The hitting, OPS, is 2d in the AL at .811 and definitely a surprise.  Runs scored, 23, also 2d in the AL. 

Is it possible Ben Cherington knows what he is doing? 

Nah.  We have softy's daily reminders Ben C is incompetent.  Ditto, it turns out, for John Farrell, who makes at least two egregious managerial errors in every game, or so Softy assures us.  The Sox are winning, he says, because of Iglesias and Bradley and only because of those two.  When and if they go to Pawtucket, the wheels will come off. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

You're right, Joe.  Ciriaco brought back a bright spot of last year and makes it look like he's no flash in the pan.  I have to smile at "JBJ" steps in ... som completely different players in style, but electric still.  Watching him take on MLB pitching with that cool, patient demeanor is incredible.  His fielding and arm are a pleasure.    I can't say enough about the pitching and its possibilities.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ciriaco is one of the best utility guys IMO. Hes not a full time starter as we saw him get exposed last year. But as a guy who can step right in and contribute as a fill in or for an injury, hes great.

Hopefully Iggy is Ok, but since Drew got yanked in the 7th inning last night in Portland and his locker cleared out, I think he might be headed to Toronto.

This team is playing like a true Team and headed in the right direction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Nice stepup by Ciriaco.  This is where pennants are won and lost.  Lat year, we had pitiful depth.

Amen. I love Ciriaco.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Now, we lose papi, and JBJ steps in.  We lose Breslow and Morales, and we have Mortensen.  If/when we lose an SP, hopefully Webster is ready, maybe even Barnes for a spot start late in the season.

A better answer than blaming injuries

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Amen. I love Ciriaco.

we don't win that game last night if Neck doesn't come in for Iggy and contribute big.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Good morning SinceYaz   :)

I agree with you--it would be very sad.  I hope Iggy is okay. 

It was nice to see 45,000 Blue Jays fans boo Farrell and the Red Sox only to see their team lose.   LOL

As the Germans say,  "Um so besser."   All the better .... 13-0 drubbing turned the R Center into a quiet paper airplane making place!

And Iggy was back!

Wills was incredible ... obviously

And Farrell must have felt a huge, "O YEAH" inside!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Excellent OP, including the "hehe." 

I think the magic number is 25, the number on the active roster. 

For years I always thought 25 was a lot of guys to cover just 9 positions, especially when 9 of them normally play every day.  But you have to cut that number in half because most managers want and get 12 guys to cover one position which in the AL doesn't even come to bat. 

That's 5 starters and 7 relievers, and normally all of them get used a lot.  All 7 relievers--Hanrahan (2 saves), Bailey, Uehara, Tazawa, Aceves, Miller, and Mortensen-- have already pitched, and 4--Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, and Doubront-- of the 5 starters have. 

Of the remaining 13 position players, 12 have played and contributed--Gomes, Saltalamacchia, Ross, Nava, Napoli, Pedroia, Iglesias, Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Bradley, Ellsbury, and Victorino. 

Lackey starts today, and Carp continues to be brilliant in reserve, thrilled to just be on the team. 

The team ERA of 3.60 is respectable, right in the middle (7th) of the AL.  The hitting, OPS, is 2d in the AL at .811 and definitely a surprise.  Runs scored, 23, also 2d in the AL. 

Is it possible Ben Cherington knows what he is doing? 

Nah.  We have softy's daily reminders Ben C is incompetent.  Ditto, it turns out, for John Farrell, who makes at least two egregious managerial errors in every game, or so Softy assures us.  The Sox are winning, he says, because of Iglesias and Bradley and only because of those two.  When and if they go to Pawtucket, the wheels will come off. 

Very well written post, Max. 

Saturday showed we were human .... but Iggy is back and hopefully Lackey isn't in serious hurt.

Yesterday - shazzam

Sections
Shortcuts