AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO's TRENDING TOWARDS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO's TRENDING TOWARDS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!

without much fanfare or uproar, mariano has had put together 4 striaght stinker appearances. he has 3 blown saves in that time including back to backs and last night he was only able to pick up one out before getting blowed out (magic johnson reference) by the light-hitting seattle mariners. that cutter is no longer fooling anyone  nor is it moving as it used to. he seems to be trying more backdoor cutters but even those are being hit as well, as tries to fool the hitters for his more conventional cutter. his era has gone from .50 to a more human-like 2.11. 

its like all 3 of these guys have become old and ineffective all at the see time. i really do not see any of them peaking again or returning to their former accustomed perches. because i foresaw all of this, i picked the yanks to finish a distant third in the AL east. they can have all the money they want, no way even them can forego over $75M of dead money plus deal with the PR hit. they have to play these guys and keep running them out there. dont forget that A-roid has already started a noticeable decline as well. kind of tough to hide 4 underperforming guys. the yanks have issues, i dont care how many phony HRs they hit. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!

I voted yes, although only because 2 of the 3 are in a permanent decline IMO (Jeter and Posada).  Mo has done it for too long to just suddenly lose it forever.  He can certainly bounce back.  Jeter's issues go back to last year and Posada is starting to lose playing time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

getting beat on 2 bloops hardly constitutes a decline...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!:
    [QUOTE]getting beat on 2 bloops hardly constitutes a decline...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]been happening a lot lately. get your facts stright. i dont start such threads based on one incident. everyone gets beat here and there. papelbon is exhibit A. its becoming a trending pattern!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

but yet here you are including yesterdays game which they won on a couple of bloop as evidence...but by all means CC, feel free to continue your theories...i'll be happy to revisit this with you at the halfway point...you could wind up on to something...still a good ways to go, imo he'll be alright..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA! : As a Sox fan I have to agree with Jete. And a prime example are the Sox. They started the season in basement of the division. None of them could hit or pitch. And now they have turned some good fortunes as of late. Tis a long season. And those players mentioned can easily work out their issues.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE] hey AM1, CC could wind up right, but i tend to believe of the three Mo will be better more often than not...we'll see how it shakes out 4 months is plenty of time to get right..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

they could all bounce back, to some degree, but not to their old ways 

Posada looks beaten, but he´s gone in months

Jet and ARoid, will stay and hurt longer (hurt their own team that is)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]getting beat on 2 bloops hardly constitutes a decline...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

It can be part of it however.

By itself it can just be one of those games. But you can also look at it that it's a sign of him losing his stuff. It's still good enough that those hits weren't ripped, but on other hand, they weren't good enough to overpower the hitters, who were able to bloop them in.

I voted yes simply because of the age. The question is -- how quick and steep will the decline be.

Posada really might be done. We'll see.

Jeter likely won't put up great numbers, but that doesn't mean he won't contribute or still be dangerous at clutch times.

Mariano -- with pitchers, sometimes they really do lose it just like that. You never know. Until this bad streak becomes the norm, I still worry about him.

And regardless of how much of a decline they're in, as a team, the Yankees remain dangerous and a team to respect and be wary of. 

Anyone who writes off any of the three or the Yankees as a team too quickly is just fooling themselves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!:
    [QUOTE]without much fanfare or uproar, mariano has had put together 4 striaght stinker appearances. he has 3 blown saves in that time including back to backs and last night he was only able to pick up one out before getting blowed out (magic johnson reference) by the light-hitting seattle mariners. that cutter is no longer fooling anyone  nor is it moving as it used to. he seems to be trying more backdoor cutters but even those are being hit as well, as tries to fool the hitters for his more conventional cutter. his era has gone from .50 to a more human-like 2.11.  its like all 3 of these guys have become old and ineffective all at the see time. i really do not see any of them peaking again or returning to their former accustomed perches. because i foresaw all of this, i picked the yanks to finish a distant third in the AL east. they can have all the money they want, no way even them can forego over $75M of dead money plus deal with the PR hit. they have to play these guys and keep running them out there. dont forget that A-roid has already started a noticeable decline as well. kind of tough to hide 4 underperforming guys. the yanks have issues, i dont care how many phony HRs they hit. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect (which is not a surprise considering the source); he's had 2 bad appearances (giving up a whole 2 runs total) in the last 3. And, he never had an ERA of 0.5 this yr; he was unscored upon until April 17; then, his ERA went up to 1.93 (with the typical RS wierdos jumping on the anti-bandwagon then too), and never went below 1.4 after that.  As far as the "blooper" hits are concerned; due to his cutter, he's always had those; throughout his career, it's been the most common type of hit he allows. Every time he has a couple of bad games some unstable RS fans joyfully sing his demise; one day, they may very well be right. I would think it would be quicker to watch paint dry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from VAGroganFan. Show VAGroganFan's posts

What's 'permanent decline' for Rivera - an ERA of 3.00?  Sadly, I don't think we've seen the last of him or Jeter yet.  Posada maybe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"because i foresaw all of this"

Careful now. You're a knowledgeable Boston sports fan but you like to take credit for all kinds of predictions. You've been wrong more often than right, however (exhibit A: Shaquille O'Neal), so a bit of humility is in order for you in the predictions department. 

Why not just talk about sports in these forums rather than brag about your flawed prediction record? You're more than welcome here without the insufferable "As I foresaw" crud.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]What's 'permanent decline' for Rivera - an ERA of 3.00?  Sadly, I don't think we've seen the last of him or Jeter yet.  Posada maybe.
    Posted by VAGroganFan[/QUOTE]

He had an ERA over 3 in 2007, in large part due to a terrible start of the season, and many he thought he was done then (Eckersley said he wasn't, and he was right). He followed that up in '08 with an ERA of 1.40.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO JOINS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA! : been happening a lot lately. get your facts stright. i dont start such threads based on one incident. everyone gets beat here and there. papelbon is exhibit A. its becoming a trending pattern!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Yes, please do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well I only hope that NYY take heed in the Contrarian's warning and DFA Mo soon.

Luckily Epstein doesn't read BDC so he'll be dumb enough to claim Mo off of waivers.

If Mo has lost "it" he still will be a very effective closer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO's TRENDING TOWARDS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!

Hmm .. The OP, when proven wrong, is nothing but a hit and run poster. I'm not surprised.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: AND THEN THERE WAS NONE... MARIANO's TRENDING TOWARDS THE SLUMPING JETER +POSADA!

I've been hearing about Mariano's eventual decline for about 5-6 years, and as a RS fan, I'd love to see it finally come to fruition - but until he actually stinks for a year, I ain't a believer that he's close to being done.  Face it, the guy's a freak of nature and he looks to be in terrific shape.  If I was a Yank fan, Rivera would be the least of my concerns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd still trade for him now - he is the only Yankee I ever would trade for, ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Considering the amount of years Mo has thrown that slider, and that everyone knows it's coming, pretty amazing he has dominated for so long.

He is in decline, no doubt about that ... and still one of the best.  Paps or Mo ... who would you choose right now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees are in a decline.

But they have the money to make a quick fix here and there.