Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

Re: Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday

In Response to Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday:
    [QUOTE]WEEI: According to Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington, Lars Anderson will be sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket, with a corresponding move to come Wednesday. Cherington said after the Red Sox' 5-3 loss to the A's Tuesday night that the Red Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday, and said that there was no news on pitcher Aaron Cook. Cook has 24 hours from the beginning of Wednesday to inform the Red Sox if he was to execute the opt-out in the his contract. Once the organization has heard the player's decision, it has 48 hours to make a determination -- if he does intend to opt-out -- to either trade Cook or promote him to the major league 25-man roster. Anderson appeared in five games for the Red Sox, most recently getting two at-bats in the Sox' Tuesday night loss. (Anderson represented the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, but struck out with runners on first and second and nobody out.)
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Lars Anderson has been a major disappointment at the major league level...They keep brinning him up and he continues to strike out in clutch situations...maybe he will thive in some other town but he has worn out his welcome in Boston with me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday

Is Lars suppose to be some savior--the kid's a kid and somebody's kid your talking like he's meant to be the savior of the world. I agree with you--he will probably be designated to give them another open slot on the "40."

BV has a 25 man roster, use everybody, that's what they get paid for--hopefully today they stop messing around and DL Youk so they have a legitimate RH bat off the bench like--Lav or Middlebrooks--they could go out and get Vlad for that matter to PH, occasional DH and play occasionally in the field(which is what the D'Backs have in mind for him). OR

Why didn't Bobby pinch hit Shop or DMac or Iggy against the lefty--maybe he doesn't feel any of them are any better than Lars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday : In my opinion, Lars Anderson has been a major disappointment at the major league level...They keep brinning him up and he continues to strike out in clutch situations...maybe he will thive in some other town but he has worn out his welcome in Boston with me.
    Posted by norm9340[/QUOTE]

norm...

In fairness to the kid, not sure that he's been a major disapointment at the Major league level when in fact he was exposed in 2009 at AAA as being not worthy of the high expectation placed on him after 2008 season when he was considered a can't miss blue chip top 10 prospect in the game (not just in our organization). The kid has some ability, but clearly he's not the middle of the order bat he was projected to be. Not sure exactly what you exected from him, it's not like the kid's been sitting on his azz instead of taking batting practice or continuing to work on his game in AAA. Hell I'd trade places with him right now, at least the kid has shown enough ability to warrant a cup of coffee in the big leagues...something I'm sure that millions of ball players would cut off thier right arms for the chance to "make it to the show"...even for just 1 at bat...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Who are the RS kidding? Call up Cook and give him a start. All he's done is pitch well for RS ST & AAA. The idea that RS don't have a place for him in rotation is idiotic. Take a look at rotations era? is there something I'm missing. Look at what Yanks did, F.Garcia who pitched well last year and off to terrible start this year removed from rotation. RS need to stop pampering these guys and understand you need to perform to stay in rotation. Skip Buchholz next start and give Cook a shot. Whats the worst that could happen? maybe Cook pitches well for RS and earns the right to stay in rotation and Buchholz comes back motivated and pitches well and maybe we move Bard back to pen where much help is needed? Do whats best for team period!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Putting the best players on the field is always the best choice.

Hall of Fame manager, Dick Williams,  didn't fool around with players that weren't producing --he put someone else in.

Fully agree with Gary. How much worse can Cook do?

How much worse can Ciriaco do versus Punto--the problem is they gave Punto a 2 year deal (I think). I would bet there is a NL team that would love to have his versatility.

How much worse can Nava do than Lars and he's a switch hitter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Doubront to the pen to give us 3 + stints per week......  Cook & his sinker ball in the starting rotation....... Next question !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I'm not sure what the budgetary aspects are in all this moving players up and down, but I'm sure they weigh heavily as far as BC is concerned.

I'm guessing that when Oakland leaves Boston, Youk will be wearing an A's uni, but after Balfour's performance last night, the Sox may have second thoughts. Maybe they will let us have Parker, he sure shut us down......wishful thinking I know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, I do not know why they refuse to call up Cook since Boston have a roster spot open.  If they need to call up Middlebrook due Youkilis is hurting, put Youkilis on DL.  That is not a hard decision to make.  

Maybe Boston is still in discussion with Cook such as to tell him that if he is call up, he will alternate pitching as a long reliever to back up starting pitcher.  Maybe Cook didnt like that idea, and he could opt out of the contract since he rather be just be a starter.

That may be one of the only reason on why Cook isnt being call up yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

management better figure it out quick

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Re: Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday:
    [QUOTE]Well, I do not know why they refuse to call up Cook since Boston have a roster spot open.  If they need to call up Middlebrook due Youkilis is hurting, put Youkilis on DL.  That is not a hard decision to make.   Maybe Boston is still in discussion with Cook such as to tell him that if he is call up, he will alternate pitching as a long reliever to back up starting pitcher.  Maybe Cook didnt like that idea, and he could opt out of the contract since he rather be just be a starter. That may be one of the only reason on why Cook isnt being call up yet.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]  Among the reasons why Cook will not pitch for the Red Sox this year are the fact that Matszusaka will be on the 25 man roster very soon and taking a spot in the rotation with Dubrount the most likely odd man out simply because of his age and salary.   Buchholz could be put on the "phantom DL," since it does not appear that he has an injury that would simply be a short term situation of about 2 weeks or 3 starts.  Another reason is that Melancon is not going to rot indefinitely down in Pawtucket.  He's done what they told him to do and work on his mechanics and there's nothing left for him to do down there except waste time.  Look for Padilla to be the obvious casualty. 

Strategically I would think that the Sox GM is assuming that Cook will opt out given him a couple of days to trade him.  Cook would probably prefer to continue to pitch in the NL and look for the Cubs or Padres to be engaged for obvious reasons.  Cook was an average NL starter at best in the NL West.  That typically would not translate well to the AL East although he may look OK initially given the lack of familiarity among most AL hitters, it would likely just be a matter of time, however, before he was exposed and effectively scouted.  The fact that he's pitched consistently well in the minors means next to nothing other than confirming his health.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

WHY SHOPPACH, PUNTO, REPKO, AND ALBERS ARE ON THIS
    TEAM IS A MYSTERY TO ME. YOU CAN ADD SALTALAMACCHIA.
    THEY CAN'T HIT A LICK, AND IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT SOMEONE
    EXPLAIN THE BOTTOM LINE...YOU PERFORM..OR YOU'RE OUT
    THE DOOR. I HAVE WATCHED PUNTO AND SHOPPACH FROM THE
    BEGINNING OF THE SEASON. THEY JUST CAN'T HIT. PERIOD.
    THEY ONLY GET ON, IF THE OPPOSING PITCHER HITS THEM
    IN THE KNEE OR IS SO BAD THAT THEY TAKE A WALK.
    OTHERWISE THEY ARE USELESS AS T___S ON A BULL !!
    LAVARNWAY SHOULD BE PLAYING UP WITH THE BIG CLUB.
    SALTY CAN'T HIT HIS WEIGHT. YEAH...OCCASIONALLY HE
    WILL GET A LUCKY HR OR SINGLE OFF A MISTAKE PITCH, BUT
    FOR THE MOST PART, THE OPPOSING SCOUTS HAVE HIM
    FIGURED TO A T. HE CAN'T HIT THE FASTBALL "UP"IN THE
    ZONE FROM WHAT I CAN SEE BECAUSE OF HIS LONG SWING.
    HE'S A MISTAKE HITTER, AND THE REALLY GOOD PITCHERS
    HAVE FIGURED OUT SALTY'S WEAKNESSES ALREADY !
    P.S. YOUKILIS IS THROUGH...CALL UP MIDDLEBROOKS AND
    LET HIM PLAY. YOUK WAS A NICE PLAYER IN THE MID 2000'S
    BUT AGE AND WEIRD STANCE HAVE CAUGHT UP WITH HIM.
    PROBLEM IS...YOU CAN'T TRADE HIM BECAUSE OF INJURIES.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Buch has a blister so there may be a need for him to miss a start or two which should give the Sox a chance to see what they have in Cook.

Dice should have at least 2 to 3 starts before they have to remove him from the 15 day DL in addition they also have Andrew Miller who must be getting close on his DL stay.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Anderson demoted; no news on Cook-Sox will have "more moves" midday Wednesday": [QUOTE]Putting the best players on the field is always the best choice. Hall of Fame manager, Dick Williams,  didn't fool around with players that weren't producing --he put someone else in. Fully agree with Gary. How much worse can Cook do? How much worse can Ciriaco do versus Punto--the problem is they gave Punto a 2 year deal (I think). I would bet there is a NL team that would love to have his versatility. How much worse can Nava do than Lars and he's a switch hitter? Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Punto is a veteran with a great glove, Ciriaco is a career minor leaguer. Nava would be much worse than Lars Anderson. He can't field, is not a great hitter and is pushing 30.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/05/02/what-aaron-cook-and-will-middlebrooks-say-abou

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/05/02/what-aaron-cook-and-will-middlebrooks-say-abou
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]  Thanks, that is a good read !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I realize it's a small sample size, but Lars looks overmatched.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Sox rumored to be discussing possible trade for Cook

According to major-league sources, the Red Sox are entertaining trade offers for Aaron Cook, the right-hander who may exercise the opt-out clause in his contract today.

Cook's contract specifies that if the Sox didn't place him on the major-league roster by midnight on May 1 -- which they didn't -- he had the option to declare for free agency. When he does, the Sox have 48 hours to either grant the free agency or promote him to the majors.

Trading him, however, is another option, and there reportedly are teams interested in Cook. The right-hander has until midnight tonight to exercise the opt-out clause, and the 48-hour window opens at the moment he does. He could inform the Sox of his decision at any time.

Cook has pitched well in Pawtucket (3-0, 1.89 ERA in five starts), but the Red Sox would like him to work out of the bullpen in Boston. Cook would prefer to start.

The Yankees are reportedly among the teams who would be interested in signing Cook if he becomes a free agent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Sox rumored to be discussing possible trade for Cook According to major-league sources, the Red Sox are entertaining trade offers for Aaron Cook, the right-hander who may exercise the opt-out clause in his contract today. Cook's contract specifies that if the Sox didn't place him on the major-league roster by midnight on May 1 -- which they didn't -- he had the option to declare for free agency. When he does, the Sox have 48 hours to either grant the free agency or promote him to the majors. Trading him, however, is another option, and there reportedly are teams interested in Cook. The right-hander has until midnight tonight to exercise the opt-out clause, and the 48-hour window opens at the moment he does. He could inform the Sox of his decision at any time. Cook has pitched well in Pawtucket (3-0, 1.89 ERA in five starts), but the Red Sox would like him to work out of the bullpen in Boston. Cook would prefer to start. The Yankees are reportedly among the teams who would be interested in signing Cook if he becomes a free agent
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Good move by the Red Sox if they want to avoid him going to the Yankees.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Another thing is that Boston need to remove one of the player from the 40 man roster to make a room for Cook if he is added on the Boston's roster.

So who should be the one to be let go?  Thomas?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]Doubront to the pen to give us 3 + stints per week......  Cook & his sinker ball in the starting rotation....... Next question !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I don't see what would be lost by sending Doubront (or even Buchholz, for that matter) to the pen temporarily and giving Cook at least a start or two. I'm skeptical that he's the savior everyone seems to think he is, but he certainly deserves a shot, and we're not in a position to be tossing aside potentially helpful starters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

BoSox J-5

You are right Nava just turned 29 in Feb., so he is pushing 30. I'm not saying he's the best Sox OF prospect but he has been an OFielder and he does switch hit--I think he has also played in more games at the Maj. League level than Lars.

I have enclosed two pieces about Nava and Ciriaco below.

Here's a little piece on Nava:
    Signed by the Boston Red Sox as a Minor League free agent on Jan. 13, 2008. ... Ranked third in the International League in walks in 2011. ... On June 12, 2010, he became the second player to hit a grand slam on his first pitch in the Major Leagues (Kevin Kouzmanoff, Sept. 2, 2006) and the first to collect two extra-base hits in his debut. ... Led Red Sox farmhands in batting in 2009. ... Won the California League batting title and led Red Sox Minor Leaguers with a .341 average in 2008. ... Was named top independent league prospect by Baseball America and was named Golden Baseball League MVP in 2007. ... Led the West Coast Conference in batting (.395) and on-base percentage (.495) in his only season at Santa Clara University in 2006. ... Hit over .400 in two seasons at the College of San Mateo from 2004-05

A little info on Ciriaco:

Signed by the Boston Red Sox as a Minor League free agent on Dec. 15, 2011. ... Was named the best defensive infielder in the Pittsburgh Pirates Minor League system by Baseball America following the 2011 season. ... Acquired by the Pirates with catcher Chris Snyder and cash from the Arizona Diamondbacks for pitcher D.J. Carrasco, outfielder Ryan Church and infielder Bobby Crosby on July 31, 2010. ... Hit an RBI double in his first Major League at-bat on Sept. 8, 2010 vs. Atlanta. ... Ranked second in the Southern League in stolen bases and fourth in hits in 2009. Also led shortstops with a .960 fielding percentage. ... Following the 2009 season, he was named by Baseball America as the best defensive shortstop in the Southern League. ... Shared the Carolina League lead in sacrifice flies and finished third in hits and stolen bases and seventh in batting average in 2008. ... Led the Midwest League in at-bats in 2006. ... Signed by the Diamondbacks as a non-drafted free agent on Feb. 28, 2003.