Andre Ethier

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBuchholzStopsHere. Show TheBuchholzStopsHere's posts

Andre Ethier

I know how early it is to be talking about this but I was just thinking of the team while watching the game and something occurred to me. Andre Ethier is a free agent after this season. He is close friends with Pedroia and has expressed interest in playing in Boston.

Is he the perfect RF signing in the off-season to replace Drew? He will probably want a contract similar to Drew's but is younger and the superior player. So the money replaces Drew's and you still have some cash coming off the books with Scutaro replaced by Iglesias.

Again, way early but just a thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Andre Ethier

We need to let the young kids play, we have a bunch of outfield talent, save the money for a starting pitcher in '12.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Andre Ethier:
    We need to let the young kids play, we have a bunch of outfield talent, save the money for a starting pitcher in '12.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

Yup, I'd rather give the job to Kalish or Reddick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

No disrespect intended but this has to be the 47th "let's get Eithier thread the Dodgers will be selling" over the past year and one-half

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He is having an incredible year...what a sweet swing...only bright spot for my Fantasyteam...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My opinion has not changed since the previous 27 Ethier threads.

Don't think the Red Sox need another LH bat in the OF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Andre Ethier:
    I know how early it is to be talking about this but I was just thinking of the team while watching the game and something occurred to me. Andre Ethier is a free agent after this season. He is close friends with Pedroia and has expressed interest in playing in Boston. Is he the perfect RF signing in the off-season to replace Drew? He will probably want a contract similar to Drew's but is younger and the superior player. So the money replaces Drew's and you still have some cash coming off the books with Scutaro replaced by Iglesias. Again, way early but just a thought.
    Posted by TheBuchholzStopsHere

Ethier is a talented hitter, but he's a brutal right fielder.  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but right field at Fenway is the size of centerfield in most ballparks.  Considering the current run environment around baseball, run prevention is key.  Having Ethier patrol a space so vast would be detrimental to the Red Sox--even with his offensive production.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lets face it, on a team with the Sox bank roll, Kalish and Reddick or 4th OF's. Personally I would like to see a right handed bat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Lets face it, on a team with the Sox bank roll, Kalish and Reddick or 4th OF's. Personally I would like to see a right handed bat.
    Posted by rkarp

If we took this attitude with all young talent, Pedrioa would still be down in the farm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

FYI - Ethier is not a F/A after this year.  He is eligible for salary arbitration and will be unrestricted after the 2012 season.  If the Sox are not sold on Reddick or Kalish as the starting RF of the future then Ethier would be a good trade target this year or next.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

NU,
    I think that you are making too much of Sox prospects.com. Sox do not have any OF young talent that will start for the Sox (perhaps in a trade will start for a lesser team)
    I also saw in Pedroia while in college a major league player, as well as seeing it in Pawtucket. Even through his early offensive struggles with the Sox, I saw the talent with the glove, base running and enough arm for 2b (but not SS as many called for)
    While many fans did not like the long, exagerated swing, I saw enough of it at Pawtucket to see that he would make contact at any level.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I know how early it is to be talking about this but I was just thinking of the team while watching the game and something occurred to me. Andre Ethier is a free agent after this season. He is close friends with Pedroia and has expressed interest in playing in Boston. Is he the perfect RF signing in the off-season to replace Drew? He will probably want a contract similar to Drew's but is younger and the superior player. So the money replaces Drew's and you still have some cash coming off the books with Scutaro replaced by Iglesias. Again, way early but just a thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

What is going to sink this team is the lack of solid right handed
    hitting. Youkilis will prove that he is not the kind of player who
    can carry a team with his bat. In this White Sox sweep, he
    was pitiful. He is not a #4 hitter. Guys like Konerko, Guerrerro,
    and A Rod are proven, and Youk really does not get it done.
    In Fenway park, you need RH power, and the White Sox RH
    hitters like Ramirez, Quentin, Konerko, Beckham and Lillibridge
    got it done. Of our guys , only the lefties hit, and the righties
    were "stuffed" by good White Sox arms. We need one or tw0
    RH bats...I don't know where we can get them, but if we don't
    we will finish behind the Rays. All the other teams will notice
    that lefties can beat the Red Sox, as well as good righties.
    Those kids from Detroit, Andy Oliver and Charlie Furbush made
    the sox look bad , even tho we won the Oliver game. Oliver
    and Furbush are lefties. That kid Chris Sale just overpowered
    the Sox...did you notice he's a lefty. With a predominantly
    lefty lineup, Papi, CC and Agon , the Sox are at a
    real disadvantage vs. southpaws and most of the better RH
    arms in the league. We have 4 straight losses, and our
    weaknesses are really showing up. The rest of the league is
    going to take notice of this !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I don't think either Kalish or Reddick are ready to start in the Sox OF.  I would love to trade for or sign a RH corner OF.  Kemp, or Either(LH) MIGHT be available.  I have suggested in other threads to attempt to go for both, using Jake as part of the trade bait.  Maybe the Sox could start with a paid off drew and jake, and then add a few of the anderson, reddick, kalish, bowden, dubront types and make it work this year, with the dodgers needing $ savings so bad. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

why would the Dodgers want Kalish/Reddick or Drew(free agent to be)?. Ellsbury is a Boros client, Dodgers aren't in that financial stratosphere anymore. You want Kemp, you better include either sure fire young talent(which the Sox do not currently have at either AAA or AA) or young arms.
    Why trade for Ethier, he is a free agent after this year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

FYI - Ethier is not a F/A after this year.  He is eligible for salary arbitration and will be unrestricted after the 2012 season.  If the Sox are not sold on Reddick or Kalish as the starting RF of the future then Ethier would be a good trade target this year or next.
    Posted by LB34

Let's not get facts involved in this thread

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

why would the Dodgers want Kalish/Reddick or Drew(free agent to be)?. Ellsbury is a Boros client, Dodgers aren't in that financial stratosphere anymore. You want Kemp, you better include either sure fire young talent(which the Sox do not currently have at either AAA or AA) or young arms. Why trade for Ethier, he is a free agent after this year
    Posted by rkarp

Andre Ethier, who entered this season with four years and 153 days of MLB service, remains under his team's control through the 2012 season:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dERjMG9UTXh6WE9FWFE2NnY0RmdoNHc&output=html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hill,
    You are correct. I was assuming that with Kemp, Kershaw, Loney and others being arb eligible and Ethier and Kemp most likely coming in at $13-14m and the current state of the Dodgers that they end up refusing arb to Ethier making him a free agent, and paying Kemp and Kershaw

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Why spend that kind of money on Ethier? Reddick looks like the real deal for the future (or even Kalish). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

NU, I think that you are making too much of Sox prospects.com. Sox do not have any OF young talent that will start for the Sox (perhaps in a trade will start for a lesser team) I also saw in Pedroia while in college a major league player, as well as seeing it in Pawtucket. Even through his early offensive struggles with the Sox, I saw the talent with the glove, base running and enough arm for 2b (but not SS as many called for) While many fans did not like the long, exagerated swing, I saw enough of it at Pawtucket to see that he would make contact at any level.
    Posted by rkarp

Didn't realize I was dealing with a professional scout here, what exactly makes Kalish and Reddick "not major league level"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Why on earth would you want Ethier....another lefty hitter
    on this squad ??  Not only are we lefty heavy already with
    Ellsbury, A Gon, Crawford, Salty, Reddick, Sutton, and Drew
    but we have a left field that a RH quality batter could play
    pepper with !  This club needs some serious RH power bats
    and to tell the truth, I think that Youk, despite his "cult"
    Yoouuuk fan status, is gonna wear out his welcome if the
    Sox fail to compete this year. We have a right field that's
    380 ft. Even our lefties have trouble hitting it out...it's
    sorta like the Mets ballpark. We need a guy like a David
    Wright or a Jayson Werth...in fact, we should have taken
    him rather than Crawford...but c'est la vie...it didn't fall
    out that way. The White Sox beat us with good solid righty
    hitting balanced with a couple of lefties like AJ and Pierre.
    We need more than Youk. Cameron and Darnell are worthless
    offensively, and Pedroia will never consistently hit the
    deep ball, nor should we count on him to do it.  He is first
    and foremost a spray hitter.  Ellsbury can't hit lefties and
    neither will Crawford...so when the other clubs put their
    lefty starters and clutch relievers against us...it's no contest.
    Remember Chris Sale and Charlie Furbush. They shut us
    down cold . There is a message there, and I don't understand
    why the Sox insist on a lefty heavy lineup in a ballpark
    that has a deep RF. Do like the Yankees...you tailor a team to
    your park !!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

yes, didn't know you are only here for 1 week. I came up in the Cards system when I started, when Whitey Herzog was running things. I did end up with the Sox but was ushered out when Duquette came in.
    That being said, the Sox major league projected talent does not include OF unless Boegarts is converted. That is not to say Reddick/Kalish will not be major leaguers, just not with the Sox, unless they are 4th/5th ...not every day talent for a team with pockets of the Sox.
    WHen projecting upper tier, think Renaudo/Britton...with Boegarts very intriguing in 3-4 years. Iglesias not quite the sure thing. Kalish/Reddick/Anderson and the like more complimentary trade pieces.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Either being left handed does not suit what the RS need for balance going forward.  I think he is a top 5 RF maybe top 3 in baseball, but with all that said, we will need money for the resignging of Papelbon and maybe a 5th starter to replace Dice K.

Either would be a great addition but at some poiint I agree the kids need a shot in order to see if they will keep the RS payroll around $175 instead of becoming like the Yankees.  But if the RS dont sign him I could see the Yankees being first in line.  Pedroia is the Key!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

HEy, I think I like the "we need Ethier" threads over the "We need Felix Hernandez" threads.

Neither situation is happening soon, but the other one was getting waaaaaaaaaay more tiresome....

Sections
Shortcuts