Andrew Friedman is the GM Billy Beane wishes he was

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Andrew Friedman is the GM Billy Beane wishes he was

In Response to Re: Andrew Friedman is the GM Billy Beane wishes he was:
    [QUOTE]I formally reject your "knave" status after this astute post Dave. While accolades go elsewhere, Friedman has quietly shown how to TRULY assess talent and build winning teams with limited resources. I called for his hiring here on this forum once it was clear Theo would be leaving. Alas, they decided to go with a kid who wouldn't balk at their plans to go cheap this season. Theo proved to be an idiot, in spite of the obviously premature "boy wonder" moniker. Beane was great...7 yrs ago. He's since followed some of the rabid sabermetricians over the cliff, and started making quirky decisions resulting in harm to his team. Once you start down the road to number crunching cuckooville, you end up zigging when clearly you should be zagging. Anyhoo, great observations re: Friedman! In Response to Andrew Friedman is the GM Billy Beane wishes he was :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

It's been 5 years, not 7, but I get your point. At least the A's haven't been the worst team in MLB the past 5 years (never under 74 wins). That's still not too bad for being one of the lowest payrolls in MLB. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]I wasn't nearly as shocked by Whitney Houston's death as I am by the fact that Keith Richards is still alive...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    are you sure he is alive....he don't really look like it....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Actually, Beane was doing 10 years ago what Friedman is doing now...taking a very small payroll to the brink of a championship in the face of much larger payrolls and bigger cities.

Friedman can expect Moneyball 2 - Exorcising the Devil out of the Rays, in the summer of 2021.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's had the same cigarette in his mouth since 1983.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Andrew went to Freeman School of Business @ Tulane! And who said Yale was the only institution that pumps out MLB GM's!  Andrew came up the ranks via Player development, which IMO is a good start for any future GM. Owes his career to Silverman and Sternberg for giving him a chance.

Andrew philosphy is clear: Draft High School potential # 1's with high SO rates, then sign them. In theory, one dominate pitcher can shut down 9 players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]I formally reject your "knave" status after this astute post Dave. While accolades go elsewhere, Friedman has quietly shown how to TRULY assess talent and build winning teams with limited resources. I called for his hiring here on this forum once it was clear Theo would be leaving. Alas, they decided to go with a kid who wouldn't balk at their plans to go cheap this season. Theo proved to be an idiot, in spite of the obviously premature "boy wonder" moniker. Beane was great...7 yrs ago. He's since followed some of the rabid sabermetricians over the cliff, and started making quirky decisions resulting in harm to his team. Once you start down the road to number crunching cuckooville, you end up zigging when clearly you should be zagging. Anyhoo, great observations re: Friedman! In Response to Andrew Friedman is the GM Billy Beane wishes he was :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Were those sabermetricians' preoccupied with texting on their IPads when they walked off the cliff? I can just hear them mumbling about UZR values and then saying " Oh sh-it on their way down.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No doubt Beane is just living off rep at this point.  But, I think the essence of the Beane worship is less about him as a great GM, and more that he is the representative figurehead for the sea-change into the modern era of baseball team building.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beane may have been over-hyped, but don't go too far the other way either. Oakland has been the lowest paid or nearly the lowest paid team for years and never has the worst record. I know that's not saying much, but since winning 93 games in 2006 the A's have never been more than 7 games under .500. (To be fair, they haven't been above 1 game under .500 either.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

There's something to be said about getting great draft picks on losing teams. Sometimes you can wind up with the cream of the crop. Having said that, the Rays are a HUGE thorn in my side, and I hope somewhere along the line he just messes up for a year or two. Smile

Having said that, I really enjoyed "Moneyball". I did not know the history of that team, and it was pretty remarkable what Beane was able to accomplish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

2) The owners has used the moneys they recieve each year from MLB to sign thier draft picks and to bolster thier 40 man roster.

Are you really saying that Friedman & the Rays have a money advantage?

No, what I am saying is that if not for the revenues they recieve from MLB they'd be hard pressed to compete. It's a credit to them that they use the moneys (on players and infrastructure) instead of like other small market clubs (Florida & Pittsburgh) who simply allow the moneys to flush through to enhance the bottom line.

That said, much of Ray's success is owned to thier new owner Stuart Sternberg, who purchased the team in 2005 and like any good owner surrounded himself with like thinking professionals. Starting with Freidman, he also hired Gerry Hunsinker former GM of the Atros to serve as Friedmans assistant and retooled the entire organization (new uniforms, logo and name change etc). In effect serving to change the culture that existed in previous years (Not unlike what John Henry did with the Red Sox). So while I agree that Freidman is a very good GM and deserves all the accolade he recieves, not unlike Epstein and Cashman. All three are fortunate to work for an organization that's commited to winning and more so have ownership groups that understand the importance of investing in infrastructure (drafting and developing players) and have the savy to surround themselves with professionals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2) The owners has used the moneys they recieve each year from MLB to sign thier draft picks and to bolster thier 40 man roster.

Are you really saying that Friedman & the Rays have a money advantage?

No, what I am saying is that if not for the revenues they recieve from MLB they'd be hard pressed to compete. It's a credit to them that they use the moneys (on players and infrastructure) instead of like other small market clubs (Florida & Pittsburgh) who simply allow the moneys to flush through to enhance the bottom line. 

That said, much of Ray's success is owned to thier new owner Stuart Sternberg, who purchased the team in 2005 and like any good owner surrounded himself with like thinking professionals. Starting with Freidman, he also hired Gerry Hunsinker former GM of the Atros to serve as Friedmans assistant and retooled the entire organization (new uniforms, logo and name change etc). In effect serving to change the culture that existed in previous years (Not unlike what John Henry did with the Red Sox). So while I agree that Freidman is a very good GM and deserves all the accolade he recieves, not unlike Epstein and Cashman. All three are fortunate to work for an organization that's commited to winning and more so have ownership groups that understand the importance of investing in infrastructure (drafting and developing players) and have the savy to surround themselves with professionals.

OK, Bean. I didn't think you meant what I thought you meant. You are right about the Hunsinker portion of the credit due. The Rays organization has done a great job drafting with lower slots, stockpiling draft picks with a revolving door bullpen that has continually over-achieved, and shedding players just before they decline sharply or get hurt. They have either been uncannily lucky or are smarter than we know.

I remember almost the whole baseball world scratching their heads over the Kazmir deal in the thick of a pennant race. Where's Kaz now? Sean Rodriguez may not be the greatest SS in MLB, but he'll be starting this year. They also have Alex Torres as a good prospect from that deal. The Matt Garza deal was forced due to money issues, but with the staff the Rays have now, not many teams could say losing Garza was not a big deal. For Garza they got Sam Fuld (last year's starting LF'er and this year's 4th OF'er), Brandon Guyer, catcher prospect Chirinos, and pitcher Chris archer and an excellent prospect in Hak-Ju Lee. The jason bartlett deal was similar in nature, and we may see 2-3 of these guys over-achieve in the pen this year:  Brandon Gomes, Cesar Ramos, Figueroa, or Adam Russell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n