Andrew Miller

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Andrew Miller

Miller has been transformed in part by not using a windup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I feel very relieved, as I kept defending Miller, when his performance seemed eternally undefendable.  I just felt like he had too much good stuff with so little effort in his mechanics, that there had to be a gem in there, even after so many tried to find it before.   If the Sox organization finally cracked the Andrew Miller nut with this stretch-only bullpen version 6.0, many kudos.  They took one of those low cost/high reward flyers on him, snatched from the "garbage heap" as a few (looking at you Softy) have said, and stuck with him long enough to crack the nut.  Sure, sample size on Miller 6.0 is still pretty small.  But, I think it is fair to say that this guy is a different pitcher than past Andrew incarnations.  I mean first off, the guy is pretty much throwing strikes, so that alone is a 180.  But to add to that, it seems he has honed a few more weapons in his arsenal (* see OP).  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Andrew Miller:
    Speaking of gifs, from Sam Miller's Baseball Prospectus piece and Thursday night's game, here is Andrew Miller making Jose Molina look silly. Sillier, even, than Molina has made opposing hitters look thanks to his framing of pitches . via www.baseballprospectus.com That new, side-to-side slider is just wonderful. Hitters everywhere say thank you, Andrew.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Millers career can still go either way so I'm glad he worked hard to improve.  At 26 he appears to be a better choice than Bard as a starter after having little command last season.  Maybe Bard will do the same, either way I'm glad we stuck with Miller.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Andrew Miller:
    In Response to Andrew Miller : Millers career can still go either way so I'm glad he worked hard to improve.  At 26 he appears to be a better choice than Bard as a starter after having little command last season.  Maybe Bard will do the same, either way I'm glad we stuck with Miller.
    Posted by craze4sox

Unless the turnaround has to do with the different focus of bullpen vs. starting (as the stretch-only simplification suggests).  I have no idea really, but I suspect that we would probably see the Miller-isms of old if he moved back to starting.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

What I love about this kid is that he really really wants to be the best he can be. He had the opportunity when they signed him to leave if he didn't get a call up, much like Cook's contract, but he decided he'd rather stay in the Sox minor system than the back end of another team's rotation because he thought the coaches could make him better...and it's working. Many kids would have gone for the major spot instead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Andrew Miller : Unless the turnaround has to do with the different focus of bullpen vs. starting (as the stretch-only simplification suggests).  I have no idea really, but I suspect that we would probably see the Miller-isms of old if he moved back to starting.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

You could be right spaceman,  I'm a bit shocked Bard doesn't have better command but feel he and Miller both have similar talent/tools.  At 26 they also still have time to go either way with the right coaching and work ethic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I feel very relieved, as I kept defending Miller, when his performance seemed eternally undefendable.  I just felt like he had too much good stuff with so little effort in his mechanics, that there had to be a gem in there, even after so many tried to find it before.   If the Sox organization finally cracked the Andrew Miller nut with this stretch-only bullpen version 6.0, many kudos.  They took one of those low cost/high reward flyers on him, snatched from the "garbage heap" as a few (looking at you Softy) have said, and stuck with him long enough to crack the nut.  Sure, sample size on Miller 6.0 is still pretty small.  But, I think it is fair to say that this guy is a different pitcher than past Andrew incarnations.  I mean first off, the guy is pretty much throwing strikes, so that alone is a 180.  But to add to that, it seems he has honed a few more weapons in his arsenal (* see OP).  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Agree with you. I always thought that Miller was hurt by his early use, premature call up, what ever one calls it.

I know it is a small sample, but he has impressed more than just a few of us Red Sox fans.  He is also impressing the color commentators who used to be former MLB pitchers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

miller definitely has been impressive. totally a different pitcher from last year. its gotta be the beard LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Andrew Miller : Unless the turnaround has to do with the different focus of bullpen vs. starting (as the stretch-only simplification suggests).  I have no idea really, but I suspect that we would probably see the Miller-isms of old if he moved back to starting.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    I agree Space. Watching the difference in Bard the reliever versus Bard the starter is a good example of how the different roles can change how a guy works.

Miller has been just one of the guys that has been a pleasant surprise in this BP. Hill getting back so soon from TJ is remarkable and how Padilla is getting outs with his collection of junk pitches are all pleasant surprises IMHO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Andrew Miller : I agree Space. Watching the difference in Bard the reliever versus Bard the starter is a good example of how the different roles can change how a guy works. Miller has been just one of the guys that has been a pleasant surprise in this BP. Hill getting back so soon from TJ is remarkable and how Padilla is getting outs with his collection of junk pitches are all pleasant surprises IMHO.
    Posted by fivekatz

And don't forget Mortenson, when he was around...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I like what I've seen in his 6 IP in Boston so far. His 14 BB in 11 IP in AAA make want to see a lot more of this before I believe this is a new Andrew Miller.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

If he can continue his success, we will/do have a number of options to help strengthen the BP.  Dice K, Cook, and Bailey will be returning, but as of now we have options in AAA who are tearin it up. Mark Melancon(who knows if it's the pressure) hasn't allowed a run in 13 games(21 SO and 9 hits), Tazawa(I've had high hopes for this kid since he was signed) has allowed two earned runs in 15 1/3 innings to go along with 6 1/3 scoreless frames and Mortensen has yielded one earned run in 13 innings(stats as of May 18th). However those guys have options while the guys in the BP now don't, or at least most of them. Either way it's nice to know that the sox should only improve, especially if you consider CC and Jacoby will hopefully be returning as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

If he can continue his success, we will/do have a number of options to help strengthen the BP.  Dice K, Cook, and Bailey will be returning, but as of now we have options in AAA who are tearin it up. Mark Melancon(who knows if it's the pressure) hasn't allowed a run in 13 games(21 SO and 9 hits), Tazawa(I've had high hopes for this kid since he was signed) has allowed two earned runs in 15 1/3 innings to go along with 6 1/3 scoreless frames and Mortensen has yielded one earned run in 13 innings(stats as of May 18th). However those guys have options while the guys in the BP now don't, or at least most of them. Either way it's nice to know that the sox should only improve, especially if you consider CC and Jacoby will hopefully be returning as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Andrew Miller : And don't forget Mortenson, when he was around...
    Posted by notin

... indeed.  shame he had to go back to rhode island for the roster machinations, but i am high on this guy.  hope they can bring him back up soon.  He came through in some pretty high leverage situations, so you'd think they would want to keep him in the mix ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sorry, I'm not all convinced.

Mortensen belongs on the big club.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Sorry, I'm not all convinced. Mortensen belongs on the big club.
    Posted by moonslav59

Yes, Mortensen belongs on the big club.  No doubt.  But, whether you are sold on the trend continuing or not, there is no denying Miller is making a case for being on the big club too.  I do not like that it is essentially one or the other right now.  I loved what Clay was doing.  But, on my list of Red Sox problems, having too many good bullpen arms to go around, well, that ranks as Fantastic.  After what looked like utter disaster, this pen is shaping up to be really strong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Dear All, Just being a conformist here and ensuring that the most important posters (the dominant) have their voices heard. No need for anyone other than  StupidIdiots  and  Bill-806  to start threads. It is their forum. Seems  harness  left and Idiocy took over the forum, I miss harness. Thanks, The Conformist.
    Posted by BlindHomer
    It's crying time agai, your going to leave us.......  Don't let the door get you on the way out !!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Miller looks like someone transformed.  Let's not forget that Bobby V talked about him in ST and said the difference between Miller with a windup and Miller pitching from the stretch was night and day.  From this came Miller the reliever who has been lights out for 8 innings now--10 K's, one BB, and 0 runs.  He has always had the pitches.  His problem was control and it seemed insurmountable, last year being a perfect example. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

very surprised at Miller's season thus far, looks like a different person, commanding both sides of the plate 95 plus on the fastball. release point seems consistent for once which is probably the reason

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Nice to see Miller, instead of Wastefield.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Miller has certainly looked good since being recalled.  He has made many nice appearances (including last night in Baltimore) that have helped the overall bullpen performance of late.

His total value will be determined if he can maintain his current level of performance, but he certainly is throwing well and with a lot of confidence right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Another clutch bit of game saving last night.  Man, this is serious.  the remedy seems so simple:  Gangly Miller had so many problems with all the moving parts of wind-up and delivery, so just cut out all unecessary moving parts, pitch him from the stretch.  boom.  Bullpen monster.  He is actually using his control as a deadly weapon.  Last night, you could see the confidence in his eyes.  This bullpen is turning into a beast.  Andrew Bailey might be lucky to have a role when he gets back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Another clutch bit of game saving last night.  Man, this is serious.  the remedy seems so simple:  Gangly Miller had so many problems with all the moving parts of wind-up and delivery, so just cut out all unecessary moving parts, pitch him from the stretch.  boom.  Bullpen monster.  He is actually using his control as a deadly weapon.  Last night, you could see the confidence in his eyes.  This bullpen is turning into a beast.  Andrew Bailey might be lucky to have a role when he gets back.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well put.  moonslav keeps reminding us these guys are all pitching over their heads, but I don't think so. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I gotta admit we somehow took a weakness and a turned it into a strength.  Our pen looks great.  More specifically, we went into the season w/ 1 bona fide lefty in it and now we have 3.  That's pretty nasty.  Too bad we ain't go no ace in the rotation or we might actually be a dangerous team......

Sections
Shortcuts