Angeles- a sleeper team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Angeles- a sleeper team?

Let's play all the games on a neutral field.

Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Rays are a sleeper team, according to a dimwit with more free time than a postal worker.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Angeles- a sleeper team?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Angeles- a sleeper team? : Perhaps we can agree that the Angels would be built differently if the Halos played in the AL East and that the Red Sox would be built differently if they played in the AL West. Over the past decade the Red Sox have earned a reputation as a heavy-hitting team, but their hitting numbers likely would suffer if the Sox played in the AL West. I agree that the Angels are unlikely to secure a Wild Card berth this year, although the Angels could win the AL West if they fare well in the 10 remaining games against the Texas Rangers.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Exactly Hill. That's my whole point. Boston's reputation as a hitting juggernaut is Fenway induced. The numbers would never carry over in CA. No way. They never have in any elongated period of time.

Everything has to be put in it's proper perspective.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Red Sox kick Angles' butts in the playoffs. I hope we get them. If not, I hope the Yankees do (if they're even there), since it doesn't always play out as well for them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox kick Angles' butts in the playoffs. I hope we get them. If not, I hope the Yankees do (if they're even there), since it doesn't always play out as well for them.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

LOL

he must pretend 09 never happened

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I wouldn't call them a sleeper team... they're a contender.  Only 1.5 games back in the AL West.  There should be several interesting races down the stretch:

Battle for the AL East crown:  Sox vs. Yanks
    Battle for the AL West crown:  Angels vs. Rangers
    Battle for the AL Central crown:  Tigers vs. Indians vs. White Sox.

Half of the AL teams are in contention and it's almost mid August.  We shall see how things play out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Simple fact:  the three best offenses in the AL also have the best W-L records:  Boston, NY, and Texas, in that order.  The Sox score fewer runs on the road, but they still score enough to win ball games and have the best road record in MLB. 

That said, I entirely agree that the good pitch no hit Angels are in the hunt for the AL West title.  I don't see them beating out the Yankees or Sox for the wild card. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox kick Angles' butts in the playoffs. I hope we get them. If not, I hope the Yankees do (if they're even there), since it doesn't always play out as well for them.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    There goes kim making dumb statements again.  How did that SWEEP work out for you in 2009.  You should think before you post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Yes, I have been saying for a month now watch out for the Angels.

I think there is a strong possibility that the Wild Card won't come from the East; the Angels have just a good a chance of The Sox or yankees and Rangers of making the playoffs.  Right now, today, my money would be on the Angels being the WC team......
    Posted by Andrewmitch

----------------------------------

I just don't see the Angels making up 7 games on the Yankees or 7+ games on the Red Sox for the wildcard.  Sure it's possible, but I just don't see it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Angels have a shot at overtaking Texas, on paper the Rangers are the better team...I doubt either of them can overtake the Sox or Yank's for the wildcard...6 games back with less than 50 to play is a huge deficit and the only way either Texas or LAA close the gap is if either the Sox or Yanks go into an long stretch where they play .500 ball

Here's the math based on todays standings. The four teams are currently projected to win the following amount of games based on their home road winning pct to date and the games they have remaining.

Boston     101
    New York  98
    Texas       90
    LAA          89

For the Angels with 45 games to be played to overtake the Yank's for the WC. They'll need to outpace the Yanks for the remainder of the year by 7 games...if the yanks play .500 the rest of the way that's a minimum of 22 more wins (45 games), which means the Angels will have to win 29 of 45 or play .650 ball the rest of the way. Which is certainly doable..If the Yanks continue to play .600 ball the rest of the way (28 wins) means the Angels or Rangers would then have to win 35 of 45 or about .780 ball. Stranger things have happened, but if you're either club (LA or Texas) the reality is that winning the division has to the goal and once in both are legit contenders...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

The ability of Bobby Abreu to still light up a scoreboard surprises and baffles me.

But I am easily confused.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's smart, selective, and "only" 37. His slugging % is way down this year, but he still gets on base nicely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Simple fact:  the three best offenses in the AL also have the best W-L records:  Boston, NY, and Texas, in that order.  The Sox score fewer runs on the road, but they still score enough to win ball games and have the best road record in MLB.  That said, I entirely agree that the good pitch no hit Angels are in the hunt for the AL West title.  I don't see them beating out the Yankees or Sox for the wild card. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

In the NL, the top teams are middle of the pack offensively.  Philadelphia, Milwaukee & Atlanta are 6 - 8 in runs scored.  2, 8 & 9 in OPS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]He's smart, selective, and "only" 37. His slugging % is way down this year, but he still gets on base nicely.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Indeed, moon. The Angels seem to some players that fall into a category with Abreu - sort of, what is he still doing here?  And before you know it, everyone has underestimated (or as W once said, "misunderestimated") him, them and the entire team, and there they are in the playoffs. Against all odds and logic.

Which is why I love baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Angeles- a sleeper team?:
    [QUOTE]From NESN: "The Angels quietly have the best starting rotation in the AL. Jered Weaver and Dan Haren each has a walks plus hits per innings pitched well under 1.000, and Ervin Santana -- who has been a complete-game machine lately -- is down to 1.149 WHIP. Angels starters as a collective have the lowest earned run average in the league, at 3.35, and have pitched 761 innings. Angels relievers have a 3.37 ERA combined, third-lowest in the AL. The Angels' weakness, which they've only occasionally overcome, is an offense that couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat. They have 1,512 total bases." But if they can win their division, in a 5 game ALDS series they could be dangerous; great pitching could make the difference.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Good point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Angeles- a sleeper team? : Good point.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is why Tito is really more intent on setting up a three pitcher rotation for the playoff, and worrying less about a 6-pitcher rotation for the regular season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Harness,

I agree the Sox pitching staff ERA suffers from the Fenway syndrome and is actually pretty decent on the road. 

That said, the Sox hitting does not suffer that much on the road, averaging 5.1 runs (tied for top in MLB), compared to 5.8 runs at home. 

For the Angels, getting into the playoffs is not simply a matter of three great starters.  You also need some hitting, some defense, and two other starters.  That's what it takes to get into the playoffs.  Once there, three great starters can make a big difference. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

wont happen.  Look at Angels last 19 games of the year.

Vs NY Yankees (home three games)

@Oakland (three games)

@Baltimore (three games)

@Toronto (four games)

Oakland  (home for three games)

Texas (home for three games)

They will be playing three AL east teams three consective times including two at two cold cities. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I have been saying for a month now watch out for the Angels. I think there is a strong possibility that the Wild Card won't come from the East; the Angels have just a good a chance of The Sox or yankees and Rangers of making the playoffs.  Right now, today, my money would be on the Angels being the WC team......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

This would really require a roll-reversal of sizable proportion. Although not out out of the realm of possibility, in order to overcome the yankees, assuming the worst the yankees do would be to play about .446 ball (21 wins/47 remaining games), the angels would have to play at a .620 clip. Basically, the Angels would have to become the Red Sox, and the Yankees would have to become Oakland.

In order to overcome the Red Sox, assuming the RS win 22/46, the RS would be Cinci and the Angels would be Phili. Ouch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

PS I made the RS have more wins than the yankees because their downside is less than the yankees, because we are better, duh.

PPS I do think the Angels/Rangers race is going to be awesome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Thursday afternoon, 6th inning, and the Angels are beating the Yankees 2-0.  Heute, ich bin ein Angeliner. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

[QUOTE]Thursday afternoon, 6th inning, and the Angels are beating the Yankees 2-0.  Heute, ich bin ein Angeliner. 

Yankees 6 Angels 2.  Entschuldigung

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

[QUOTE]Thursday afternoon, 6th inning, and the Angels are beating the Yankees 2-0.  Heute, ich bin ein Angeliner. 

Thats why they play 9 my friend, thats why they play 9.  Angels are done, enough with this sleeper sh**,  as much as the City of Boston would like to see the Angels in the Playoffs as the West Winner, the Red Sox by virtue of winning the Wild Card are going to have to face Texas in Texas.  My, My an a kicking waiting to happen. Sorry Boston but it could get uggggly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Grandy homered again: Tanks up 6-2 in the 7th.

It still shocks me that the Angels have no players with an OPS over .800.

The Sox have 6 and Sutton at .807.
    (Salty is at .788: making it almost 7 of 9 starters over .800.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

moon, good stats.  The depth of the sox hitting is even more of a factor than thier pitching as to why they own the yankees.  Yankees have no chance to catch the sox this year.