In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... according to this tweet from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/274570106930073600

[/QUOTE]

13W 10L  4.48ERA  161Ks...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: Angels get Tommy Hanson for Jordan Walden

I really want to know what the Red Sox are doing...are they asleep at the wheel? Like I know he wasn't very good last season but he's still 26 and was pretty good his other seasons in the majors. They say they want to make low cost high ceiling moves, well this could of been one of them. All it would of taken was a reliever or 2. Someone let me know when the Red Sox wake up from the comma that they are in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is the first guy moved that I really wish we might have gotten, but who knows what they wanted from us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Braves Most Likly Will Pickup Justin Upton, Freeing Up Some Cash....With This Move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really want to know what the Red Sox are doing...are they asleep at the wheel? Like I know he wasn't very good last season but he's still 26 and was pretty good his other seasons in the majors. They say they want to make low cost high ceiling moves, well this could of been one of them. All it would of taken was a reliever or 2. Someone let me know when the Red Sox wake up from the comma that they are in.

[/QUOTE]

Hes been injured and his velocity has gone down the last 3 seasons. he used to be around 95-96MPH, now hes barely hitting 91MPH and can hardly get through the 5th inning.

Are we going to do this with EVERY trade? Hanson was not the answer...He'll probably spend time on the DL with another arm issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Braves Most Likly Will Pickup Justin Upton, Freeing Up Some Cash....With This Move.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This was a salary dump for them seeing hanson was probably their 7th best starter. They need OF help and now have some extra cash to make a move....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the first guy moved that I really wish we might have gotten, but who knows what they wanted from us.

[/QUOTE]

Really ? The very first guy ? You really wished? Are you saying try to put all the bad arms on one team? The league should put out a list of bad arms and let the sox pick through it. Is that what you really wished?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hes been injured and his velocity has gone down the last 3 seasons. he used to be around 95-96MPH, now hes barely hitting 91MPH and can hardly get through the 5th inning.

Are we going to do this with EVERY trade? Hanson was not the answer...He'll probably spend time on the DL with another arm issue.

[/QUOTE]

probably

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

probably

[/QUOTE]

Even with guys like Hanson? Now im convinced that every trade the Sox are not involved in there will be something negative said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really ? The very first guy ? You really wished? Are you saying try to put all the bad arms on one team? The league should put out a list of bad arms and let the sox pick through it. Is that what you really wished?

[/QUOTE]

No, I meant of all the trades that have happened so far, he is the first guy I think I'd like to have gotten.

Sorry, I could have worded that better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's so interesting--the moment I saw this trade announced on MLBTR.com I said "was he asleep at the wheel." I just don't think he thinks a step ahead and feels the need to call other teams about a trade---I think he thinks everyone is going to call him.

I don't know but when I think about the Jays and Marlins deal--will we ever know who initiated that deal? Was it A or B? and who cares but someone was thinking outside the box---how can I get a couple of good pitchers and a top SS by taking on some payroll yet at the same time dump a trouble maker--so AA accomplished both in one move.

I don't think either player was on our radar today--so what's the big deal. The big deal is that it frees up money one team doesn't have to pay another player they can now spend on someone that might be on  the Sox radar.

Cooler heads may prevail on this board and they may be right about BenC but he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. Ex. using an example  mentioned today Ells and Lester are both from the N'west--wouldn't it seem natural to send them to the M's for a pitcher and a CF or 1 B? Do you think that's part of "Ben's Plan?" Who knows we don't know what his plan is...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I agree completely, I wonder what their plan is or even if they even have one. Luchinno is at the controls and they are going to do this on the cheap. The only thing Cherrington does is pick up garbage after its approved from Larry Luchinno. The next statement will be from Cherrington that we were in on this but could not agree on players. I do not think this guy (Cherrington) is proactive at all then when something breaks they come out with a statement as to why they did not do it.

Bottom line, I think this team is looking for low pay "high upside" players and players that fall to them on the cheap. With the prices they are charging up there, I am tired of hearing this garbage. 

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's so interesting--the moment I saw this trade announced on MLBTR.com I said "was he asleep at the wheel." I just don't think he thinks a step ahead and feels the need to call other teams about a trade---I think he thinks everyone is going to call him.

I don't know but when I think about the Jays and Marlins deal--will we ever know who initiated that deal? Was it A or B? and who cares but someone was thinking outside the box---how can I get a couple of good pitchers and a top SS by taking on some payroll yet at the same time dump a trouble maker--so AA accomplished both in one move.

I don't think either player was on our radar today--so what's the big deal. The big deal is that it frees up money one team doesn't have to pay another player they can now spend on someone that might be on  the Sox radar.

Cooler heads may prevail on this board and they may be right about BenC but he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. Ex. using an example  mentioned today Ells and Lester are both from the N'west--wouldn't it seem natural to send them to the M's for a pitcher and a CF or 1 B? Do you think that's part of "Ben's Plan?" Who knows we don't know what his plan is...

[/QUOTE]

its better we don't know. the less the public knows about the FO's plans the less other GMs know about the FO's plans and the less chance a rival GM can throw a monkey wrench into our plans. seriously. THE WINTER MEETINGS HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED!!! you don't get a draft pick for having your team complete before the new year.. how do you know BC didn't have talks in the works for Hanson? how do you know BC isn't calling other teams about trades?!? you don't so your just whining for the sake of whining. wipe those tears away and CHILL OUT!

its sickening the amount the people on here that just b!tch and moan about any and everything without ANY knowledge of what is really going on or how the offseason process goes down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

probably

[/QUOTE]

Even with guys like Hanson? Now im convinced that every trade the Sox are not involved in there will be something negative said.

[/QUOTE]

unfortunately stupidity dominates this forum

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since 29 other teams did not wind up with Hanson, did all 29 teams fall asleep at the wheel?  Or just us?

How does this free up money for us?

IRT TO/Miami, someone was thinking outside the box, but in this case, I think it was Miami.  I do not like that trade at all for TO.

How would Ells/Lester fit in with Seattle's plans?  Ells is gone in one year, and pitching is hardly Seattle's problem?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If left to their own devices, we'd trade for every single guy traded this winter, and have a bid in on every FA.  We don't need Hanson, we need an ace.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think our pitching is so bad right now anyone looks good...cant blame the fans for that imo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Wouldn't "it seem natural" to trade one year of Jacoby Ellsbury and one or two years of Jon Lester for four years of outfielder Casper Wells, who is from Schenectady in upstate New York, and five years of lefthander Charlie Furbush, the South Portland ME product who last season posted a 2.72 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, .174 BAA and 138 ERA+ with 53 strikeouts in 46.1 innings?

On second thought, the Mariners might not do that trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am surprised.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Actually hill I have been wanting to bring  Furbush back to NE...funny you should agree with the premise...I realize you were poking fun at me.

I love this time of the year--and yes after going four years without a playoff win ---I would be in total favor of trading everyone with more than two years of major league experience and bring in a whole new cast of characters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For all we know, Ben Cherington could have made an offer for Tommy Hanson. A recent rumor suggested that the Red Sox would consider trading reliever Andrew Bailey.

What are the comparative trade values of Andrew Bailey and Jordan Walden, two former All Star closers?

Bailey remains under his team's control for two more arbitration years working off his 2012 salary of $3.9 million. Walden remains under his team's control for four seasons and is owed only the league minimum in 2013.

The 28-year-old Bailey has an ERA of 2.47, a WHIP of 1.03 and a BAA of .201 in 189.1 career innings. However, over the past two seasons Bailey has an ERA of 4.26 in 61 appearances. The 25-year-old Walden has an ERA of 3.06, a WHIP of 1.29 and a BAA of .225 in 114.2 career innings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Good trade for the Angels.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

sox fans have every right to be angry and upset. its frustrating when u see a guy like hanson who is young and has potential to be a front of the rotation starter traded for a reliever and all you hear about the sox is how they are interested in a bunch of players but yet so far all we have to show for it is david ross and johnny gomes, two bench players. i know when i found out about the hanson deal i thought to myself, wow the sox could have got him if thats all the angels were asking for? I as well as many other sox fans are tired of hear about the sox being interested in guys like dempster (the fact that the sox are interested in him makes u wonder how smart ben c and co are as he got destroyed in the AL last year with texas) , victorino, ross, etc. Not to mention the fact that you see other teams filling holes on their rosters yet the sox who perhaps have the most holes out of any big market team have yet to fill any of them. thinking about it, we have not filled one hole since free agency started. all ben c has done is over spend on back ups. 5 mill per for johnny gomes? really? he is worth half of that. Needless to say, the sox needed a guy like hanson much more than the angels. yet we miss out yet again. 

Sections
Shortcuts