Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!!

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Angels To Sign Albert Pujols

The Angels are the bridesmaid no more.  Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown.  He'll receive a full no-trade clause.  Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown.  If Pujols received more than $252MM, his new deal will be the second-largest in baseball history in both its total and average annual value.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!!

Wow,plus the Angels are the favorites to sign Wilson too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

You sure it wasnt Beane and Oakland?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Interesting... cant blame him for jumping on this deal! It will be fun to see him in AL and how he does here... I bet a down year for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!!:
    Interesting... cant blame him for jumping on this deal! It will be fun to see him in AL and how he does here... I bet a down year for him.
    Posted by DaBlade

How down?   .333/40/120

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Damn, 10 years? No trade? That contract is going to cripple them at least the last 4 years.

Apparently the Cards weren't going to offer more than 210 or 220 million.

I mean, good for the Angles, and hopefully they score on CJ Wilson too.

I wonder what this means for Fielder. He's pretty much the only type A free agent left so its gotta be pretty good for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Texas will end up with Fielder according to rumor...that's the top two NL stars coming to the AL west.  Instant credibility.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Texas will end up with Fielder according to rumor...that's the top two NL stars coming to the AL west.  Instant credibility.
    Posted by traven

If that happens, it makes Young even more expendable. Red Sox should pounce!
    Trade Youk and Salty in a three-way deal. Get Young and I-Rod to back up Lavarnway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

The latest report out of Anaheim is that immediately after signing the $250M contract with the Angels, Albert Pujols petitioned the court in California to legally change his name to Johnny Damon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Angels are paying mostly for a DH for most of this embarrassingly bad value contract.

32 Years old 25 million base likely palatable performance value
    33 Years old 25 M likely palatable performance value
    34 Years old 25 M likely palatable performance value
    35 Years old 25 M dubious performance value
    36 Years old 25 M dubious performance value

37 Years old 25 M unlikely performance value
    38 Years old 25 M Nearly Certain Poor performance value
    39 Years old 25M Nearly Certain Poor performance value
    40 Years old 25M Certain embarrassing performance value (Write off)
    41 Years old 25M Certain embarrassing performance value (Write off)

100 to 125M of this contract is nearly certain poor performance or write off

No marketing PR and claims of legacy brand sales is going to recoup 30 to 50% of this cost in an already good baseball market with other big stars in more popular sports

Agon is a very good value compared to this Inesptein deal. This deal rises near the level of Crawford in terms of one of the worst value contracts in MLB history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In Response to Re: Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!! : If that happens, it makes Young even more expendable. Red Sox should pounce! Trade Youk and Salty in a three-way deal. Get Young and I-Rod to back up Lavarnway.
    Posted by Alibiike

Great logic...  Let's parlait our 25yr old catcher & 31yr old 3B   for   a 36yr old and a 43yr old.  Not!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

By the last few years of the contract, Pujols will be doing his best impersonation of Babe Ruth with the Braves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Well, Wilson AND Pujols, *thumbs nose*
    ...BUT we definately got Ortiz.

This screams
    out for improvement by our Red Sox,
    dont you think?
    WOW!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

You got to figure that with the Dodgers in disarray, this is an opportunity for the Angels to grow their fan base.  There's no reason that the Dodgers can't as big a payroll as the Yankees.  They are certainly in a market that can support it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What's really awful about pro sports in this era is that a guy like Pujols , who was a St. Louis Cardinal franchise symbol cannot come to terms with a team for which he has won two championships and three trips to the World Series. Not the fault of the Cards , who made him a good and sensible offer.

60 Minutes did this wonderful piece on Albert Pujols recently, how he is such a great individual and does so much in his community and loves the fans and blah, blah, blah. I'm sure it's all true...but still...you got to think...

Turns out he is just another mercenary , who will jump through a hoop for the highest bidder. If am a St. Louis Cardinals fan , I am not happy with Albert Pujols. People say it is part of the game to take the best offer...and maybe it's reduced to that...but still, it's got to stink for these fans who have loved watching this guy for so long, to watch him just turn away from the people who loved him. This is not like a Johnny Damon, he played for two other teams before landing in Boston and would play for 3 more after...so he was never truly "one of our own" ...he was just leased for a few years.

I am so glad that two of my all time favorite sports players did not get bought and sold to the highest bidder , retaining their stature in my mind as having some loyalty to the fans that cheered for them and truly loved them ( Carl Yastrzemski and Terry O'Reilly). One wonders if their will ever again be a Red Sox player who remains "one of ours" for his whole career...I'm hoping it's Dustin Pedroia. But, I'm thinking, Zilla...your dreaming!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Marlins were actually the high bidders foor both Pujols and Wilson.This is from MLBTraderumors.com:

Marlins Were High Bidders For Pujols, Wilson

With $191MM committed to Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Heath Bell, Marlins fans can't complain about their offseason so far.  Only one of the 5,020 entrants in MLBTR's free agent prediction contest, Matthew Lazear, correctly guessed in November that the Marlins would sign all three.  However, it's interesting to note that the Marlins also made the highest bids on top free agents Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson, who ultimately went to the Angels today.

Pujols received ten years and $254MM from the Angels, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today says the Marlins offered ten years and $275MM.  He says that with incentives and Florida's lack of a state income tax, the deal could have been worth nearly $300MM.

Wilson signed a five-year, $77.5MM deal with the Halos, but agent Bob Garber told Ken Rosenthal Wilson could "easily" have gotten $100MM, and the Marlins "would not let it go."  Said Wilson: "If it was about the money, I'd be a Florida Marlin."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Angels to sign PUJOLS!!!!!!!!:
    From MLBTraderumors.com: Angels To Sign Albert Pujols By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 8:56am CST] The Angels are the bridesmaid no more.   Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown .  He'll receive a full no-trade clause.  Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown.  If Pujols received more than $252MM, his new deal will be the second-largest in baseball history in both its total and average annual value.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

The Angels now have the best player and pitching staff in baseball.  A real contender for years to come in my opinion.  I'm not sure where this leaves Kendry Morales, maybe the OF.  He had one heck of a season before the unfortunate injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There is no such thing as loyalty - especially from the top tier players and definitely not from ownership.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Marlins were actually the high bidders foor both Pujols and Wilson.This is from MLBTraderumors.com: Marlins Were High Bidders For Pujols, Wilson By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 11:54am CST] With $191MM committed to Jose Reyes , Mark Buehrle , and Heath Bell , Marlins fans can't complain about their offseason so far.  Only one of the 5,020 entrants in MLBTR's free agent prediction contest, Matthew Lazear, correctly guessed in November that the Marlins would sign all three.  However, it's interesting to note that the Marlins also made the highest bids on top free agents  Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson , who ultimately went to the Angels today. Pujols received ten years and $254MM from the Angels, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today says the Marlins offered ten years and $275MM.  He says that with incentives and Florida's lack of a state income tax, the deal could have been worth nearly $300MM. Wilson signed a five-year, $77.5MM deal with the Halos, but agent Bob Garber told Ken Rosenthal Wilson could "easily" have gotten $100MM, and the Marlins "would not let it go."  Said Wilson: "If it was about the money, I'd be a Florida Marlin."
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Reason Marlins lost the bid is that they didnt want to include no-trade clause on Pujols's contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

An excellent gm, good manager, and smart owner allows for any team to be titile contenders nearly every year with a budget of 70% or less of CBT. This reminds of Crawford, last winter. High bidding on high profile older FA does not usually work out in the title department. The % is so low and other options can not be proven to be less effective during years it does work out, any wise organization would resort to FA marquis auctions only in the rarest of cases for players in their 20's who are truly superstars of the game who fit the town and the team.

Most of these FA this winter will require huge bust write-offs. Due to age, condition, fitness or 2nd tier talent status, virtually all of these marquis FA will be huge value busts. This year is truly a weak FA market, typical for most years. Very unimpressive on the value scale.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

What's really awful about pro sports in this era is that a guy like Pujols , who was a St. Louis Cardinal franchise symbol cannot come to terms with a team for which he has won two championships and three trips to the World Series. Not the fault of the Cards , who made him a good and sensible offer. 60 Minutes did this wonderful piece on Albert Pujols recently, how he is such a great individual and does so much in his community and loves the fans and blah, blah, blah. I'm sure it's all true...but still...you got to think... Turns out he is just another mercenary , who will jump through a hoop for the highest bidder. If am a St. Louis Cardinals fan , I am not happy with Albert Pujols. People say it is part of the game to take the best offer...and maybe it's reduced to that...but still, it's got to stink for these fans who have loved watching this guy for so long, to watch him just turn away from the people who loved him. This is not like a Johnny Damon, he played for two other teams before landing in Boston and would play for 3 more after...so he was never truly "one of our own" ...he was just leased for a few years. I am so glad that two of my all time favorite sports players did not get bought and sold to the highest bidder , retaining their stature in my mind as having some loyalty to the fans that cheered for them and truly loved them ( Carl Yastrzemski and Terry O'Reilly). One wonders if their will ever again be a Red Sox player who remains "one of ours" for his whole career...I'm hoping it's Dustin Pedroia. But, I'm thinking, Zilla...your dreaming!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Great post and I definitely agree with you.  I am very surprised and disappointed that Pujols didn't resign with the Cardinals. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Who is Pujols?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Arte Moreno is a hypocrite, after crying about the Sox spending and Crawfords contract last year he turns around and spends even more. Personally I dont really care, as a Sox fan I dont have a horse in the Pujols/Cards/Angels race, just hard to be happy for whiney Moreno now that he finally got some FA's to take his money when in the past he's been a hater when others teams were spending the money. 

Maybe the best quote I read online about the Pujols thing today came from a Cardinals writer...they'll just chalk it up to Los Angeles trading St Louis the Rams for a baseball icon to be named later. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This gives Texas more incentive to sign Fielder. The Angels just got a whole lot better with Wilson and Pujols in the fold.
    Houston also had better do something if they want to compete in the AL West in 2013.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Alibiike: Houston is thinking they are getting away from Puljos in NL central only to get him back in AL west....Houston we have a problem....

Sections
Shortcuts