Angels "Unlikely" to Re-Sign Torri Hunter, Boston Anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Angels "Unlikely" to Re-Sign Torri Hunter, Boston Anyone?

The Angels are highly unlikely to re-sign right fielder Torii Hunter, MLBTR has learned from a source close to the situation.  The Angels are highly prioritizing pitching improvements, and Hunter will have a chance to explore the open market.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Angels

Hmmm.  Tough to call.  In a vacuum, I would love to have Torii.  Good clubhouse presence, veteran leadership, still has a small modicum of all-around-game.  

But the positive intangibles Spiderman is imbued with are no reason to offer him good money. I suspect some clubs might let these good vibes blind them from his actual value.  And I do not think the Sox should overpay for him.  

If the market is weak, and he wants to sign for a number in line with a solid veteran in the late twilight, by all means, scoop him up Ben.  But, if he is asking more than 5-6 mil, and anything that involve years other than 1, pass.

I figure someone will offer him 1/9-10 though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmmm.  Tough to call.  In a vacuum, I would love to have Torii.  Good clubhouse presence, veteran leadership, still has a small modicum of all-around-game.  

But the positive intangibles Spiderman is imbued with are no reason to offer him good money. I suspect some clubs might let these good vibes blind them from his actual value.  And I do not think the Sox should overpay for him.  

If the market is weak, and he wants to sign for a number in line with a solid veteran in the late twilight, by all means, scoop him up Ben.  But, if he is asking more than 5-6 mil, and anything that involve years other than 1, pass.

[/QUOTE]

He'd be a perfect fit in right field for a year or two, as he can still play above average defense.  He had the highest average in baseball for balls put in play, which won't happen again, so there would likely be an offensive dropoff, but he can still hit.  I'm sure they'll look at him, and a slight overpay is okay as long as it is a short term deal. As you mentioned, the intangibles are there as well...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He'd be a perfect fit in right field for a year or two, as he can still play above average defense.  He had the highest average in baseball for balls put in play, which won't happen again, so there would likely be an offensive dropoff, but he can still hit as well.  I'm sure they'll look at him, and a slight overpay is okay as long as it is a short term deal. As you mentioned, the intangibles are there as well...

[/QUOTE]

For the money though, I would rather retain Cody Ross' services. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He'd be a perfect fit in right field for a year or two, as he can still play above average defense.  He had the highest average in baseball for balls put in play, which won't happen again, so there would likely be an offensive dropoff, but he can still hit as well.  I'm sure they'll look at him, and a slight overpay is okay as long as it is a short term deal. As you mentioned, the intangibles are there as well...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they still can.  They aren't going to put Cody Ross in right next year either way.  They can do worse than a Ross, Ells, Hunter outfield from left to center. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I'd be fine with 1/2 years and 10 million a year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Ross/Els/Hunter, I'd take that too.  I'd offer 2 years 13m (why not, it's not my money).  Sign Youk for 1st base and have a Youk/Pedroia/Iglesias/Middlebrooks IF, Lava at catch, Sign Peavey, and we'd have a decent competitive club.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they still can.  They aren't going to put Cody Ross in right next year either way.  They can do worse than a Ross, Ells, Hunter outfield from left to center. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd be good with that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

No problem here with the Hunter thing and 10 for 1 or 2 is fine. Good clubhouse leader type and short term contract would be nice since it would add defense, speed and an OK bat to the lineup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Can he pitch?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can he pitch?

[/QUOTE]

Even if we trade for Lee, we might still another OF, 1B, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Bill Lee's probably still available although a bit older. LOL  I say sign Clemens. He can probably still throw in the high 70s. 

Hetch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill Lee's probably still available although a bit older. LOL  I say sign Clemens. He can probably still throw in the high 70s. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Bah.  One phone call and he is back topping 90.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i would like to see torii hunter in RF either him or soo-choo (would have to trade for him though)

im OK with the idea of the sox overpaying guys in short term deals. we have the money to do it and it cant cripple us because they would be off the books in no time

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'd love to have Torii Hunter on the Red Sox on a 1 or 2 year deal. Good defender with a good arm, seems like he can still hit and run a little bit. It would also have the added benefit of driving softlaw apopleptic. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

doesnt matter who we have on the roster. softy will continue to be ignorant until the day he dies

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

He is pretty funny when he goes apopleptic though. I do so love watching a wingnut in full meltdown..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I really like the idea of the Sox signing Hunter to a one-year plus option deal in the 8-10 million dollar range, if he can be had for that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really like the idea of the Sox signing Hunter to a one-year plus option deal in the 8-10 million dollar range, if he can be had for that.

[/QUOTE]

I want to make sure the Red Sox resign Cody Ross first before we move on to the other outfield spot and as I've hinted earlier I have no confidence that Cherington will be able to swing it because of my feeling that he is a total incompetent.  Assume for the sake of argument that he does resign Cody, I would have no qualms at all at signing Torii Hunter to a one year contract with a team option.....ONE YEAR AND TEAM OPTION.  I think an outfield of Ross-Ellsbury-Hunter would be a solid one. Torii is a great team player, g reat in the clubhouse, very upbeat and still productive.  One word of warning, though.  He hit terrifically in the #2 spot when he was moved there this season in Anaheim.  He would have to bat there to maintain his effectiveness.

I live not too far from Anaheim and my wife is a big Angels fan and haven't heard a word from the Angels about their canning Hunter from consideration.   The guy who reported it either has some real good inside info or he's throwing up a phony trial balloon.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

fred.  I agree.  I propose signing Hunter under the assumption that Ross is re-signed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Like I said...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no better book on an old veteran racist career loser than the Angels throwing Hunter in the landfill. He's a clubhouse cancer from MN to LA. A career prima donna who is so old he can't fool teams that know him. Cherry is just the kind of incompetent GM to offer Hunter more than one year and 1M to be a 4th or 5th OF'er. Hunter will have to be kicked out of MLB, and he soon will be. His foolish pride makes him the career MLB loser that he will always be.

[/QUOTE]

Trotter, I can only go by what I saw this summer.  Anaheim and its surroundings are not the most liberal regions in the country and they just loved Torii Hunter, as does my wife Linda.  I don't know where this racist stuff about Hunter started because all I saw was an upbeat optimistic player who busted his rear this season and has his best year.  As far as I know from people close to the Angels he was a very positive influence in the clubhouse, but I will concede your very intelligent point that it should be only A ONE YEAR OFFER WITH A TEAM OPTION FOR THE SECOND...and if he doesn't accept, then bon voyage.  Also you and I see eye to eye on Cherington and I'm surprised many others on this board don't.  Perhaps they want to see him operate this year with some more money in his possession to get the players he needs, but I'm afraid the guy is too incompetent, risk averse, and slow on the draw to take advantage of the opportunities that may present themselves to him.  Maybe we're wrong but I'm still convinced that the Red Sox will not be all the way back until we get a GM who knows his b@tt from a hole in the ground.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

First, Lucchino has to go.  I am not convinced Ben C lasts more than one more season, to be honest.  But if he pulled off the trade and signings I propose, he would have himself a competitive team and another year to prove his mettle.

I am still of the opinion that before Farrell's 3-year deal is over the Sox will have bought him out of his last year after firing Ben C.  That is just as easily in the cards as the Sox turning around and being contenders in 2013.  Both are real possibilities, IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think signing Hunter to a 1yr with an option for a 2nd for around 10mm per would be great. Ive already shot down Trotters racist comment about hunter by proving him wrong with many articles on the subject. Dont listen to him on this. Its irresponsible blabber at best.

Hunter is talked of very highly from Min to LAA. Thats a fact. Hes well respected throughout baseball, but Trot would like to try and paint him in a different light.