Angels "Unlikely" to Re-Sign Torri Hunter, Boston Anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Angels

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think signing Hunter to a 1yr with an option for a 2nd for around 10mm per would be great. Ive already shot down Trotters racist comment about hunter by proving him wrong with many articles on the subject. Dont listen to him on this. Its irresponsible blabber at best.

Hunter is talked of very highly from Min to LAA. Thats a fact. Hes well respected throughout baseball, but Trot would like to try and paint him in a different light.

that is softys schtick.. take a popular player and sh!t on him despite any and all evidence that contradicts his ignorant views.

at the very least the man is consistent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I feel like a lot of people are going to be fooled by the FO when they get all caught up in a "name" sigining like Hunter.....when what they really need to overhaul is the PITCHING. That is where the challenge lies. What will Ben and the gang accomplish there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Tori Hunter?  lol. Are you guys kidding me?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I feel like a lot of people are going to be fooled by the FO when they get all caught up in a "name" sigining like Hunter.....when what they really need to overhaul is the PITCHING. That is where the challenge lies. What will Ben and the gang accomplish there.

They need an OF'er as well as pitching. Hunter just isnt a name guy, he produces. he still hits over .300 and an OBP north of .360 with solid defense. Hes a leader inthe clubhouse and in the community. With some young players coming up the next couple years it would be good to have a guy like this. Every team needs some veteran presence.

I agree they need pitching and will address that issue as well as 1b. Lots of business to do this offseason Ice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I agree with you.  

No to Hunter.  

Trout would be nice though.  lol  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I agree with you.  

No to Hunter.  

Trout would be nice though.  lol  

Im looking at 1-2yr contract type players that can fill a spot til our guys are ready, ie; Brentz/Bradley.

Hunter still produces offensively and defensively, Is a good clubhouse presence and a veteran leader. Whats not to like?

If you dont agree, I can respect that. But please tell us why you dont think he would be a good signing on a 1-2 year deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

They need an OF'er as well as pitching. Hunter just isnt a name guy, he produces. he still hits over .300 and an OBP north of .360 with solid defense. Hes a leader inthe clubhouse and in the community. With some young players coming up the next couple years it would be good to have a guy like this. Every team needs some veteran presence.

I agree they need pitching and will address that issue as well as 1b. Lots of business to do this offseason Ice.

Totally agree. Hunter would be good pickup for OF.My focus on this forum this offseason will be on that #1 and #2 type starter they need (And I don't agree with numbering starters). I just don't want people to be fooled by the FO making a flashy signing to draw away from a HUGE hole on this team. Just have this sinking feeling they are going to go cheap or try to tell us people will have "bounce back" years and not to worry.  Someone like a CC or Felix and in other years Pedro or Schilling are the type of pitcher or pitcher(s) we MUST have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Totally agree. Hunter would be good pickup for OF.My focus on this forum this offseason will be on that #1 and #2 type starter they need (And I don't agree with numbering starters). I just don't want people to be fooled by the FO making a flashy signing to draw away from a HUGE hole on this team. Just have this sinking feeling they are going to go cheap or try to tell us people will have "bounce back" years and not to worry.  Someone like a CC or Felix and in other years Pedro or Schilling are the type of pitcher or pitcher(s) we MUST have.

I agree. If we could strike oil and land a pitcher like that it would be ideal. Just not sure there will be any available through FA or trade that would make sense as far as financially and a good fit for Boston.

My fingers are crossed though...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

No Way, Not At 37, Will His Head Be In The Game, His Son Was Arrested On Sexual Assault earlyer This Season Remember, Angels Placed Him On Leave, Not Sure Whats Going On With That..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I will bet most of you thinking Hunter is a good idea also want Ortiz back. Well lets get as many 37 year olds on the team as we can.... makes sense to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I will bet most of you thinking Hunter is a good idea also want Ortiz back. Well lets get as many 37 year olds on the team as we can.... makes sense to me.

have to disagree somewhat.........there has to be a veteran presence of some sort with this team..maybe Hunter isn't the guy...but who?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

age is just a number.. if a guy is older and still produces who cares?? you just have to be wary of offering them multi year deals for a lot of money.

there is absolutely no reason to not want torii hunter in boston. he is a good player, good track record, good clubhouse presence, coming off a good year. certainly worth the shot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I predict that there are going to be 4 teams in on Swisher.  One team is going to seperate themselves from the pack by offering Swisher too many years (5 yrs , 75 M$$).

After this happens, one of the three remaining teams is likely to give Hunter a big $$ (but short term contract) having missed out on Swish.  (2 yrs 30M$$)

I hope the Sox are neither of these teams (although I do have an anti- Nick Swisher bias).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

C'mon folks.  We all know 2013 is a bridge year and Hunter with a one year contract is the perfect player

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I predict that there are going to be 4 teams in on Swisher.  One team is going to seperate themselves from the pack by offering Swisher too many years (5 yrs , 75 M$$).

After this happens, one of the three remaining teams is likely to give Hunter a big $$ (but short term contract) having missed out on Swish.  (2 yrs 30M$$)

I hope the Sox are neither of these teams (although I do have an anti- Nick Swisher bias).

I don't think Swisher is a fit in Boston at all.  He's not good enough defensively to even consider at 1st and I don't think they want a guy who is basically an average defender in right at Fenway, especially on a multi-year deal.  I think Hunter is a perfect fit on a one or two year deal, even on a slight overpay. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

In Hunter's original comments, he said that people he knows "come up and say, 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.'"

He also said baseball prefers scouting and signing Latin players because they are willing to sign "for a bag of chips."

Hunter has said other racist comments, and makes racist Jerry Rice look like an intelligent man.

Hunter was not thought highly of in either of his rip-off career stops, but has lived a life where political correctness is fearful of calling him what he is.

As for the market, only a fool would offer this old loser 10 million to come in and run his mouth as nothing but a part-time OF'er. In  2011, the Red Sox had the greatest embarrassment OF in the near 30 million they allowed Crawford and Ellsbury to rip off. To pluck old man Hunter out of an LA landfill and pay 10 miillion could only the the work of an incompetent. GM. The Red Sox have that, so expect the embarrassment over "he'll return to being a great player Crawford" could be short lived.

Crawford is a loser who should be sued for failure of consideration. His recent comments were the comments of a loser. What a perfect way for Cherry to repeat the incompetence that his apologists claim "weren't on his watch", signing that racist MLB hog the budget career loser Hunter.

i missed you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

At this stage of his career, Torii Hunter might prefer to play for a contender.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In Hunter's original comments, he said that people he knows "come up and say, 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.'"

He also said baseball prefers scouting and signing Latin players because they are willing to sign "for a bag of chips."

Hunter has said other racist comments, and makes racist Jerry Rice look like an intelligent man.

Hunter was not thought highly of in either of his rip-off career stops, but has lived a life where political correctness is fearful of calling him what he is.

As for the market, only a fool would offer this old loser 10 million to come in and run his mouth as nothing but a part-time OF'er. In  2011, the Red Sox had the greatest embarrassment OF in the near 30 million they allowed Crawford and Ellsbury to rip off. To pluck old man Hunter out of an LA landfill and pay 10 miillion could only the the work of an incompetent. GM. The Red Sox have that, so expect the embarrassment over "he'll return to being a great player Crawford" could be short lived.

Crawford is a loser who should be sued for failure of consideration. His recent comments were the comments of a loser. What a perfect way for Cherry to repeat the incompetence that his apologists claim "weren't on his watch", signing that racist MLB hog the budget career loser Hunter.

i missed you.

There's nothing quite like a wingnut in full meltdown is there?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

At this stage of his career, Torii Hunter might prefer to play for a contender.

You keep saying the Sox won't be contenders next year or any time soon. Would you care to make a wager? Say Ms against the Sox season series or better record?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

i missed you.

There's nothing quite like a wingnut in full meltdown is there?

its been awhile since i talked to a crazy person. its kind of reassuring. "at least i'm not as twisted as that guy"

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You keep saying the Sox won't be contenders next year or any time soon. Would you care to make a wager? Say Ms against the Sox season series or better record?

Sorry, but I don't believe in betting on sports.

Anything is possible, but the depleted Red Sox are unlikely to fashion a 20-win improvement that lifts the Sox into contention next season. I merely suggested that Torii Hunter might prefer a club that faces better odds of reaching the postseason.

For what it's worth, I like the direction the young Mariners are headed, but I don't see the M's as contenders in 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Sorry, but I don't believe in betting on sports.

Anything is possible, but the depleted Red Sox are unlikely to fashion a 20-win improvement that lifts the Sox into contention next season. I merely suggested that Torii Hunter might prefer a club that faces better odds of reaching the postseason.

For what it's worth, I like the direction the young Mariners are headed, but I don't see the M's as contenders in 2013.

Hill, the Mariners have built a "bridge" that could allow Californians to drive to Hawaii.  Give up the whole recent "the Sox are now the Pirates/Royals of the last 20 years thing." Stick to advertising for John Sickels and Fangraphs.  I used to appreciate how you crushed ridiculous trade proposals.  Now, you just seem bitter towards the Sox and you've adopted the "glass is now completely empty" schtick....You're better than this

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Hill, the Mariners have built a "bridge" that could allow Californians to drive to Hawaii.  Give up the whole recent "the Sox are now the Pirates/Royals of the last 20 years thing." Stick to advertising for John Sickels and Fangraphs.  I used to appreciate how you crushed ridiculous trade proposals.  Now, you just seem bitter towards the Sox and you've adopted the "glass is now completely empty" schtick....You're better than this

The Red Sox have a storied franchise that faces serious challlenges. I will be impressed if the Boston front office can engineer a quick turnaround.

Surprises are what make sports, and other areas of life, fascinating.

Peace be with you.

Sections
Shortcuts