Angels "Unlikely" to Re-Sign Torri Hunter, Boston Anyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Angels

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Hill, the Mariners have built a "bridge" that could allow Californians to drive to Hawaii.  Give up the whole recent "the Sox are now the Pirates/Royals of the last 20 years thing." Stick to advertising for John Sickels and Fangraphs.  I used to appreciate how you crushed ridiculous trade proposals.  Now, you just seem bitter towards the Sox and you've adopted the "glass is now completely empty" schtick....You're better than this

The Red Sox have a storied franchise that faces serious challlenges. I will be impressed if the Boston front office can engineer a quick turnaround.

Surprises are what make sports, and other areas of life, fascinating.

Peace be with you.

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff, Hill...Peace be with you as well...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

At this stage of his career, Torii Hunter might prefer to play for a contender.

[/QUOTE]

I would think Torii would prefer playing time over anything.  He'd probably prefer starting in Pittsburgh over sitting on the bench in, say, the Bronx...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:

You keep saying the Sox won't be contenders next year or any time soon. Would you care to make a wager?Say Ms against the Sox season series or better record?

Sorry, but I don't believe in betting on sports.

Anything is possible, but the depleted Red Sox are unlikely to fashion a 20-win improvement that lifts the Sox into contention next season. I merely suggested that Torii Hunter might prefer a club that faces better odds of reaching the postseason.

For what it's worth, I like the direction the young Mariners are headed, but I don't see the M's as contenders in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Hill, the Mariners have built a "bridge" that could allow Californians to drive to Hawaii.  Give up the whole recent "the Sox are now the Pirates/Royals of the last 20 years thing." Stick to advertising for John Sickels and Fangraphs.  I used to appreciate how you crushed ridiculous trade proposals.  Now, you just seem bitter towards the Sox and you've adopted the "glass is now completely empty" schtick....You're better than this

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with jasko on that one.

It seems like you only come to this board now to throw rain all over any and all discussions.  And you probably haven't noticed, but many times your logic for situation A contradicts your logic for situation B.  Once you jettisoned consistency, I guess it allowed trashing all things Red Sox to be your sole priority.

Honestly, you have replaced Babe on the board in this manner...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You keep saying the Sox won't be contenders next year or any time soon. Would you care to make a wager?Say Ms against the Sox season series or better record?

Anything is possible, but the depleted Red Sox are unlikely to fashion a 20-win improvement that lifts the Sox into contention next season. I merely suggested that Torii Hunter might prefer a club that faces better odds of reaching the postseason.

For what it's worth, I like the direction the young Mariners are headed, but I don't see the M's as contenders in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It seems like you only come to this board now to throw rain all over any and all discussions.  And you probably haven't noticed, but many times your logic for situation A contradicts your logic for situation B.  Once you jettisoned consistency, I guess it allowed trashing all things Red Sox to be your sole priority.

[/QUOTE]

Ive mentioned this to Hill a couple times already. Looks like Im not alone in my observations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually babe was sometimes funny. hill55 not so much...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tori Hunter?  lol. Are you guys kidding me?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  

No to Hunter.  

Trout would be nice though.  lol  

[/QUOTE]

Im looking at 1-2yr contract type players that can fill a spot til our guys are ready, ie; Brentz/Bradley.

Hunter still produces offensively and defensively, Is a good clubhouse presence and a veteran leader. Whats not to like?

If you dont agree, I can respect that. But please tell us why you dont think he would be a good signing on a 1-2 year deal.

[/QUOTE]

Good morning southpaw777.   :)

I agree with all of the above.  One problem is that he and his agent will be looking for more than a year or two. 

I want the Red Sox to go young and prepare to be a competitive team beyond 2013.  If that is the case, then Hunter does not fit the picture. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

The Red Sox have a storied franchise that faces serious challlenges. I will be impressed if the Boston front office can engineer a quick turnaround.

Surprises are what make sports, and other areas of life, fascinating.

Peace be with you.

[/QUOTE]

I think you under-estimate how quickly we can turn things around.  It isn't really a matter of what we can add.  It is a matter of whether we can get our current players to perform.  The number of extra losses because of lester and Buchholz alone is probably in range of 7-8.  Dice and Cook were 5-18.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, I generally read Hill's posts.  For the most part, I see him as a realistic voice.  Which doesn't make him right, but 75% of the RS fans are more negative than Hill is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tori Hunter?  lol. Are you guys kidding me?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  

No to Hunter.  

Trout would be nice though.  lol  

[/QUOTE]

Im looking at 1-2yr contract type players that can fill a spot til our guys are ready, ie; Brentz/Bradley.

Hunter still produces offensively and defensively, Is a good clubhouse presence and a veteran leader. Whats not to like?

If you dont agree, I can respect that. But please tell us why you dont think he would be a good signing on a 1-2 year deal.

[/QUOTE]

Good morning southpaw777.   :)

I agree with all of the above.  One problem is that he and his agent will be looking for more than a year or two. 

I want the Red Sox to go young and prepare to be a competitive team beyond 2013.  If that is the case, then Hunter does not fit the picture. 

[/QUOTE]

Good Morning to you Ice-Cream

Im not so sure Hunter could get more than a 1 or 2 yr deal at this stage in his career. If he can then I wish him the best of luck and move on to the next option.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Torii Hunter is a close friend of David Ortiz stemming from their time together on the Minnesota Twins. I recall Hunter making many positive statements about Boston in the past as well. If the Red Sox want him and offer a reasonable deal, I think he would sign with them.

Whether such a move would be prudent, I'm less confident. Hunter will likely cost 1-2 years at $10 million per year. An outfielder entering his late 30s can break down at any time. The last thing the Red Sox need is another Mike Cameron situation.

I would rather sign someone like Juan Pierre to a 1 year deal for less than $2 million (he played for $800,000 in 2012). While also on the older side, he does not command the same kind of money or long-term commitment. He's very strong defensively, he can play all three outfield positions, he gets on base at about the same clip as Hunter, and he also steals a lot of bases. If he struggles, at least he doesn't drain the budget or take up roster space for too long. To me, he represents one of the best bargains on the market. The Red Sox don't need a power-hitter in LF, if they re-sign Ortiz (appears likely), Ross (also likely), and a decent first baseman.

Speaking of first base, I would forget about tying up money long-term on Napoli or Swisher. They'll both be vastly overpaid. Save the big money for pitching. I'd sign Lance Berkman to a 1 year deal for first base. I know he's old and coming off an injury, but he's still very productive (31 HR, 95 RBI, .412 OBA in 2011, .381 OBA in limited at-bats in 2012). The Red Sox could probably sign him for less than $3 million, on maybe an incentive-laden contract. If he struggles, he could be part of a platoon at 1B with Saltalamachhia.

Other moves:

1. Trade Jacoby Ellsbury to San Francisco for Tim Lincecum. Lincecum will be playing for a new contract in 2014 and he makes $22 million next season. I think the Giants would gladly make that swap, if not for the savings alone. I also believe it would be a good gamble for the Red Sox because John Farrell has a good reputation for turning pitchers around, a change of scenery could work wonders for Lincecum, and the guy is just too talented to be done already at such a young age. I wouldn't be surprised to see an excellent bounceback season in a walk year. If the move doesn't work out, so be it, the commitment is only for one year. It's okay to overpay on short-term deals. This may be the only realistic way to add a potential No. 1 starter to the rotation.

2. Shore up the bullpen with fireballing Jonathan Broxton (still only 28).

3. Take chances with some of the young players like Bradley and Iglesias. Plenty of playoff teams hand the proverbial keys over to rookies fresh out of AA and AAA.

2013 Boston Red Sox

1. C Ryan Lavarnway

2. 1B Lance Berkman

3. 2B Dustin Pedroia

4. SS Jose Iglesias

5. 3B Will Middlebrooks

6. LF Juan Pierre

7. CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

8. RF Cody Ross

9. DH David Ortiz

10. C/1B Jarrod Saltalamachhia

11. INF/PR Pedro Ciriaco

12. OF Ryan Kalish

13. OF/PH Jerry Sands

14. SP Jon Lester

15. SP Clay Buchholz

16. SP Tim Lincecum

17. SP John Lackey

18. SP Felix Doubront

19. RP Andrew Bailey

20. RP Daniel Bard

21. RP Jonathan Broxton

22. RP Franklin Morales

23. RP Andrew Miller

24. RP Alfredo Aceves

25. RP Chad Mortensen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Angels are highly unlikely to re-sign right fielder Torii Hunter, MLBTR has learned from a source close to the situation.  The Angels are highly prioritizing pitching improvements, and Hunter will have a chance to explore the open market.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#RO2JE3xUgGKSocey.99

[/QUOTE]

I look at it like I'm hoping our management does.  Tori is still very productive and he and David are great friends.  What better way to keep a positive attitude in the clubhouse than by allowing them to possibly finish their careers together?

We have a hole in the OF so I say if the price is right go for it.  Two very solid veteran players and a likeable manager should start us back on a positive track.  There is no reason why the Sox can't contend next season if they make the correct moves and are willing to put some money back into the club.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

What a great way to load up on 37 year old players! U all are so smart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

What a great way to load up on 37 year old players! U all are so smart.

[/QUOTE]

A couple older veterans on the club doesn't hurt, or make our team old at all.  No difference between a younger player like Jacoby constantly on the DL, or taking a chance on David or Tori staying healthy and helping our cause.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Torii Hunter is a close friend of David Ortiz stemming from their time together on the Minnesota Twins. I recall Hunter making many positive statements about Boston in the past as well. If the Red Sox want him and offer a reasonable deal, I think he would sign with them.

Whether such a move would be prudent, I'm less confident. Hunter will likely cost 1-2 years at $10 million per year. An outfielder entering his late 30s can break down at any time. The last thing the Red Sox need is another Mike Cameron situation.

I would rather sign someone like Juan Pierre to a 1 year deal for less than $2 million (he played for $800,000 in 2012). While also on the older side, he does not command the same kind of money or long-term commitment. He's very strong defensively, he can play all three outfield positions, he gets on base at about the same clip as Hunter, and he also steals a lot of bases. If he struggles, at least he doesn't drain the budget or take up roster space for too long. To me, he represents one of the best bargains on the market. The Red Sox don't need a power-hitter in LF, if they re-sign Ortiz (appears likely), Ross (also likely), and a decent first baseman.

Speaking of first base, I would forget about tying up money long-term on Napoli or Swisher. They'll both be vastly overpaid. Save the big money for pitching. I'd sign Lance Berkman to a 1 year deal for first base. I know he's old and coming off an injury, but he's still very productive (31 HR, 95 RBI, .412 OBA in 2011, .381 OBA in limited at-bats in 2012). The Red Sox could probably sign him for less than $3 million, on maybe an incentive-laden contract. If he struggles, he could be part of a platoon at 1B with Saltalamachhia.

Other moves:

1. Trade Jacoby Ellsbury to San Francisco for Tim Lincecum. Lincecum will be playing for a new contract in 2014 and he makes $22 million next season. I think the Giants would gladly make that swap, if not for the savings alone. I also believe it would be a good gamble for the Red Sox because John Farrell has a good reputation for turning pitchers around, a change of scenery could work wonders for Lincecum, and the guy is just too talented to be done already at such a young age. I wouldn't be surprised to see an excellent bounceback season in a walk year. If the move doesn't work out, so be it, the commitment is only for one year. It's okay to overpay on short-term deals. This may be the only realistic way to add a potential No. 1 starter to the rotation.

3. Take chances with some of the young players like Bradley and Iglesias. Plenty of playoff teams hand the proverbial keys over to rookies fresh out of AA and AAA.

2013 Boston Red Sox

1. C Ryan Lavarnway

2. 1B Lance Berkman

3. 2B Dustin Pedroia

4. SS Jose Iglesias

5. 3B Will Middlebrooks

6. LF Juan Pierre

7. CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

8. RF Cody Ross

9. DH David Ortiz

11. INF/PR Pedro Ciriaco

12. OF Ryan Kalish

13. OF/PH Jerry Sands

14. SP Jon Lester

15. SP Clay Buchholz

16. SP Tim Lincecum

17. SP John Lackey

18. SP Felix Doubront

19. RP Andrew Bailey

20. RP Daniel Bard

21. RP Jonathan Broxton

22. RP Franklin Morales

23. RP Andrew Miller

24. RP Alfredo Aceves

25. RP Chad Mortensen

[/QUOTE]

Pierre would also be a good option. Not sure about Lincecum, but its an interesting option. I think the Rangers, Reds and Braves might match up a little better with an Ellsbury deal though. Id rather get someone with a couple more years of control for Ells...

Im sure the NYY will be bidding for Broxton as well so even if it just drives the price up Im all for making him an offer. I do think our bullpen is our stongest part of the team, so if we didnt get him it wouldnt bother me.

By the way, #25 on your list is Clayton Mortensen, not Chad. Also Junichi Tazawa should be a vital part of the bp in 2013 as well as Craig Breslow. We already have 4 LHP and only need 2, maybe 3 in the bp, so one of Miller, Morales, Hill or breslow will probably be dealt this winter...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Other moves:

2013 Boston Red Sox

1. C Ryan Lavarnway

2. 1B Lance Berkman

3. 2B Dustin Pedroia

4. SS Jose Iglesias

5. 3B Will Middlebrooks

6. LF Juan Pierre

7. CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

8. RF Cody Ross

9. DH David Ortiz

11. INF/PR Pedro Ciriaco

12. OF Ryan Kalish

13. OF/PH Jerry Sands

14. SP Jon Lester

15. SP Clay Buchholz

16. SP Tim Lincecum

17. SP John Lackey

18. SP Felix Doubront

19. RP Andrew Bailey

20. RP Daniel Bard

21. RP Jonathan Broxton

22. RP Franklin Morales

23. RP Andrew Miller

24. RP Alfredo Aceves

25. RP Chad Mortensen

[/QUOTE]

Pierre would also be a good option. Not sure about Lincecum, but its an interesting option. I think the Rangers, Reds and Braves might match up a little better with an Ellsbury deal though. Id rather get someone with a couple more years of control for Ells...

Im sure the NYY will be bidding for Broxton as well so even if it just drives the price up Im all for making him an offer. I do think our bullpen is our stongest part of the team, so if we didnt get him it wouldnt bother me.

By the way, #25 on your list is Clayton Mortensen, not Chad. Also Junichi Tazawa should be a vital part of the bp in 2013 as well as Craig Breslow. We already have 4 LHP and only need 2, maybe 3 in the bp, so one of Miller, Morales, Hill or breslow will probably be dealt this winter...

[/QUOTE]

The key is choosing the right fits who have and can play under the Boston pressure, not to mention fit well in the clubhouse.  Something Theo was horrible at 95% of the time.  Berkman at 1B, Lincecum and even Hunter for a year or two may be good fits. 

I don't think Bradley or Iggy are ready, lets see how they all do this spring before playing them on a daily basis.  I would also inquire about guys like Kendry Morales, McCann, Y. Molina, etc.  Adding youngsters who have never played with guys we already have that don't produce won't win many games for us.

We need to look at all our positions closely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Other moves:

2013 Boston Red Sox

1. C Ryan Lavarnway

2. 1B Lance Berkman

3. 2B Dustin Pedroia

4. SS Jose Iglesias

5. 3B Will Middlebrooks

6. LF Juan Pierre

7. CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

8. RF Cody Ross

9. DH David Ortiz

11. INF/PR Pedro Ciriaco

12. OF Ryan Kalish

13. OF/PH Jerry Sands

14. SP Jon Lester

15. SP Clay Buchholz

16. SP Tim Lincecum

17. SP John Lackey

18. SP Felix Doubront

19. RP Andrew Bailey

20. RP Daniel Bard

21. RP Jonathan Broxton

22. RP Franklin Morales

23. RP Andrew Miller

24. RP Alfredo Aceves

25. RP Chad Mortensen

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The key is choosing the right fits who have and can play under the Boston pressure, not to mention fit well in the clubhouse.  Something Theo was horrible at 95% of the time.  Berkman at 1B, Lincecum and even Hunter for a year or two may be good fits. 

I don't think Bradley or Iggy are ready, lets see how they all do this spring before playing them on a daily basis.  I would also inquire about guys like Kendry Morales, McCann, Y. Molina, etc.  Adding youngsters who have never played with guys we already have that don't produce won't win many games for us.

We need to look at all positions!

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I dont think JBJ will be ready until 2014 either. I think they just might give Iggy a shot at SS next year unless a good deal comes along to change their mind.

Also dont think Molina will be leaving the Cards any time soon. Would you trade one of the best catchers in the game who is signed thru 2017 with an option for 2018? McCann has a team option for 2013 that will probably be picked up as well, if hes not given a longer deal.

Morales would be nice if we dont have to give up a lot for only 1yr as he will be a FA after 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Other moves:

2013 Boston Red Sox

1. C Ryan Lavarnway

2. 1B Lance Berkman

3. 2B Dustin Pedroia

4. SS Jose Iglesias

5. 3B Will Middlebrooks

6. LF Juan Pierre

7. CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

8. RF Cody Ross

9. DH David Ortiz

11. INF/PR Pedro Ciriaco

12. OF Ryan Kalish

13. OF/PH Jerry Sands

14. SP Jon Lester

15. SP Clay Buchholz

16. SP Tim Lincecum

17. SP John Lackey

18. SP Felix Doubront

19. RP Andrew Bailey

20. RP Daniel Bard

21. RP Jonathan Broxton

22. RP Franklin Morales

23. RP Andrew Miller

24. RP Alfredo Aceves

25. RP Chad Mortensen

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We need to look at all positions!

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I dont think JBJ will be ready until 2014 either. I think they just might give Iggy a shot at SS next year unless a good deal comes along to change their mind.

Also dont think Molina will be leaving the Cards any time soon. Would you trade one of the best catchers in the game who is signed thru 2017 with an option for 2018? McCann has a team option for 2013 that will probably be picked up as well, if hes not given a longer deal.

Morales would be nice if we dont have to give up a lot for only 1yr as he will be a FA after 2013.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a guy like McCann bringing Lav along instead of Salty.  You are probably right about Molina "like Braun" but it never hurts to kick the tires.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I confused Clayton Mortensen with the sports columnist Chad Mortensen. I think Mortensen (the baseball player) deserves a chance to break camp with the Red Sox. He looked very impressive to me last year. He could pitch multiple innings at a time and he was effective against both lefthanded and righthanded batters.

I absolutely concur on making room for Junichi Tazawa in the bullpen. That was a glaring oversight on my part. Bullpens are so unstable from week to week between injuries and ineffectiveness that most of these guys will be needed at some point, even if they don't all start the year on the team. If everyone is healthy, either Mortensen or Miller (probably Mortensen) would be the odd man out. I would like to see Morales return, and I definitely want someone of Broxton's ilk in case Bailey and Bard both fail to bounce back.

Brilliant, pay 22 million, net 12 million more over Ellsbury, for the great NL high miles bean Obama Choon Gang Tim Lincecum.

If Atlanta or Texas want to trade one of their younger cost-controlled pitchers to the Red Sox for Ellsbury, I'm all for it. Realistically, they won't do it for the same reasons we wouldn't do it. Young talented pitching is a lot more valuable than an oft-injured outfielder approaching free agency with only one great year on his resume. Had the Red Sox traded Ellsbury after 2011, which they should have done, then these Atlanta or Texas scenarios would have been more viable.

At this point, I think Tim Lincecum at a gain of $12 million would be worth more to the Red Sox than the vastly overrated Jacoby Ellsbury. Lincecum is not far removed from consecutive Cy Young Award seasons and All-Star appearances. He's an outstanding, elite pitcher when on top of his game. He's only had one bad year and he's still relatively young. If he pitches like he did before 2012, he'll easily command $16-17 million per year on the open market. Sometimes elite pitchers have an off year. I'd much rather gamble on Lincecum reverting to the Lincecum of not too long ago than on Ellsbury repeating 2011. Worst case scenario he posts another 5+ ERA and the Red Sox let him walk at the end of the year. Best case scenario he returns to his Cy Young form. Realistic scenario he wins 15 games with an ERA in the mid to high 3 range.

If the Red Sox go smart and frugal at 1B and OF (my proposals of Lance Berkman and Juan Pierre, respectively), then adding $12 million for Lincecum is well within economic feasibility. If Pierre struggles, plug in Kalish, or Nava, or one of the myriad of AAA depth players and veteran castoffs who will surely be available. If Berkman fails, play Saltalamachhia more often at first base and maybe give Gomez a longer look. It's okay to not succeed with cheap veteran acquisitions or potential one year overpays. Teams get into much bigger trouble when they invest long years and big money in second-tier talent. That's the mistake the Red Sox need to avoid this off-season.