Anibal Sanchez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Anibal Sanchez

No hitter after 7

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Anibal Sanchez

Mauer broke it up in the 9th.  Should have pitched around him.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Or just walk him.   LOL

I think AJ Burnett (when he was with the Marlins) once threw a no-hitter vs. the Padres but walked nine batters. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And many of you felt he was not worth it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Or just walk him.   LOL

I think AJ Burnett (when he was with the Marlins) once threw a no-hitter vs. the Padres but walked nine batters. 

Yeah. It wasn't a perfect game anyway. Had a 6-0 lead. Don't give Mauer anything to hit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Not me, I just didnt think it would have happened with him wanting to stay in Detroit and them wanting him. The old man wants a championship and probably would have paid to keep him if it came down to it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Not me, I just didnt think it would have happened with him wanting to stay in Detroit and them wanting him. The old man wants a championship and probably would have paid to keep him if it came down to it.

Had he known we'd be looking like contenders so quickly, maybe Detroit would not have been the "slam dunk" many felt it was.

Iwas not for spending big on any of the big names: Greinke, Hamilton or Sanchez, but I did say that Sanchez made the most sense, and after seeing all the money dropped on old bridge players, I stated that I'd rather have signed Sanchez for 5-6 years, so we'd have something for now and beyond 2014. I stated I'd rather have Sanchez than a combination of 4 of these guys:

Victorino $39M/3

Dempster $26.5M/2

Drew $9.5M/1

Papi  $26M/2

Ellsbury $9M (trading him away)

Imagine a top 3 of Buch-Sanchez-Lester right now!

Sanchez $80M/5 (might have cost us $85M/5 or $100M/6)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If V-Mart starts hitting this is probably the strongest team in the AL. Their weak point is the Bullpen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Moon the guy signed a 5 year deal so it's way to early to weigh his worth or value. I agree that "when" healthy he's a solid #2 starter for a good club...As with all free agent pitchers who sign long term deals years 4 and 5 is where the value lyes...if he's still healthy and pitching no hitters giving the Tigers 30 starts and 200 plus inning over the life of the deal? Then I'd be inclined to suggest that 28 other teams would also have wished they'd have stepped up. His detractors and why he didn't garner a ton of offers see warning signs given his injury history. That said, he also resigned with the Tiger's so the other teams that did have interest may well have been asked to sweeten the deal and passed....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Moon the guy signed a 5 year deal so it's way to early to weigh his worth or value. I agree that "when" healthy he's a solid #2 starter for a good club...As with all free agent pitchers who sign long term deals years 4 and 5 is where the value lyes...if he's still healthy and pitching no hitters giving the Tigers 30 starts and 200 plus inning over the life of the deal? Then I'd be inclined to suggest that 28 other teams would also have wished they'd have stepped up. His detractors and why he didn't garner a ton of offers see warning signs given his injury history. That said, he also resigned with the Tiger's so the other teams that did have interest may well have been asked to sweeten the deal and passed....

I realize this. I know Ben was shy about long term big deals. It wasn't going to happen.

That doesn't stop me from giving my opinion that I think Ben was wrong to spend huge sums of money on bridge players of questionable age or in the midst of trending downwards.

I too was not for spending big on anyone in this year's weak- on- the- top FA class. However, I was for trying to find younger FAs to sign beyond 2014. We missed that boat totally. No signee is expected to help us significantly in 2015 or beyond. No player traded for after the Dodger deal is expected to improve our team in 2015 and beyond, in fact the one big deal we did make gave up years and years of team control over several players for 1 year of Hanrahan.

It is my contention that signing Sanchez for 5 or 6 years would have both made us better now AND in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Sure, he could get hurt or underperform, but as I have stated before, he was not as injury prone as some here argued. He had just completes 3 straight years of 195 IP of so. He also does not have a lot of mileage under his belt for a pitcher his age.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was hoping ben wouldve kept it simple by signing either grienke or sanchez and playing the kids...

i still think this was a better plan than what he did

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i was hoping ben wouldve kept it simple by signing either grienke or sanchez and playing the kids...

I agree, but I have said that Ben deserves a chance to let his plan play out. His hands were tied in many ways last year, and the Dodger trade did greatly improve our longterm outlook.

I envisioned something like this had we outbid the Tigers for Sanchez:

(Note: I am assuming Ellsbury, Salty, Aceves, and Doubront would be traded for prospects or younger players under team control for several year. I also wanted us to try and trade for J Upton, so plug him in LF and we have a way better team than now, as well as looking better in 2015 and beyond-assuming good health.)

C: Ross/Lava/Vazquez  (Salty here only if extended or plans to be extended)

1B: Napoli/Carp

2B: Pedey

3B: Middlebrooks/Bogaerts (Maybe by August/September)

SS: Iggy/Ciricao

LF: Nava/Gomes (DH if no Papi)  ** J Upton**

CF: Bradley/ (Podsednik type)

RF: Brentz/Linares/Nava (DH if no Papi)

DH: Papi (I had hoped at $11M x 2 with PA incentives to up to $15M/yr or $14M/1)

S1: Buchholz

S2: A Sanchez

S3: Lester

S4: Lackey

S5: B McCarthey/Marcum/Tazawa/Webster

R1: Bailey

R2: Uehara

R3: Breslow

R4: Miller

R5: Mortensen

R6: (See 5th starter slot)

R7: (See 5th starter slot)/A Wilson/Bard/Wright/cheap FA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

No hitter after 7

I was a huge fan of dishing out the bucks for Anibal, instead we get Dempster. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Had he known we'd be looking like contenders so quickly, maybe Detroit would not have been the "slam dunk" many felt it was.

Iwas not for spending big on any of the big names: Greinke, Hamilton or Sanchez, but I did say that Sanchez made the most sense, and after seeing all the money dropped on old bridge players, I stated that I'd rather have signed Sanchez for 5-6 years, so we'd have something for now and beyond 2014. I stated I'd rather have Sanchez than a combination of 4 of these guys:

Victorino $39M/3

Dempster $26.5M/2

Drew $9.5M/1

Papi  $26M/2

Again, I would have loved to have him. I was calling his name before the season even ended. It was all over this board.

I also cant wait to see what we have in Webster, RDLR, Barnes, Ranaudo, Workman and Owens over the next year or 2. Even though we didnt get Sanchez, Im still encouraged for the future of the rotation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Victorino $39M/3

Dempster $26.5M/2

Drew $9.5M/1

Papi  $26M/2

Again, I would have loved to have him. I was calling his name before the season even ended. It was all over this board.

I also cant wait to see what we have in Webster, RDLR, Barnes, Ranaudo, Workman and Owens over the next year or 2. Even though we didnt get Sanchez, Im still encouraged for the future of the rotation.

We always seem to be waiting for another young arm to develop.  Thats why we blow money on guys like Dempster instead of signing or trading for a younger "long term" solution.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I distinctly remember Girardi running his young pitchers into the ground back in miami. Sanchez pitched a no-hitter that year. I don't blame Sanchez for his early career injury woes. 

Aww, heck. It's all ancient history now. 

Sox need atleast two of those SP in minors to come-up big in the next 2 yrs. Probably need to trade one them for an OF bat (preferrably r-handed). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Unfortunately, Sanchez was a pipe dream: he was staying in Detroit.  He wanted Detroit and Detroit wanted him.  End of story.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Victorino $39M/3

Dempster $26.5M/2

Drew $9.5M/1

Papi  $26M/2

We always seem to be waiting for another young arm to develop.  Thats why we blow money on guys like Dempster instead of signing or trading for a younger "long term" solution.

we havent had a pitching crop like this in a long time craze. people within the organization as well as others pointed to the years 2013 & 2014 for these pitchers to start filtering up. We have a group of arms that all look to have a legit chance.

Fact is, they werent going to sign anyone long term and Sanchez was a pipe dream IMO. They wanted a short term because we have  6 guys that should be ready by 2015 and 4 of them as early as sept 13'-next year. We let Sanchez go in 2006-07, Kelly go in 2010-11, then Masterson for Vic. So its not like we havent had any guys. Weve just traded the better ones.

The problem is, is that some of the fans plans didnt fit the organizations plan. personally, Im pretty excited to see these young arms we have in the upper levels as well as some of the position players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I distinctly remember Girardi running his young pitchers into the ground back in miami. Sanchez pitched a no-hitter that year. I don't blame Sanchez for his early career injury woes. 

Aww, heck. It's all ancient history now. 

Sox need atleast two of those SP in minors to come-up big in the next 2 yrs. Probably need to trade one them for an OF bat (preferrably r-handed). 

Sanchez had an early career injury before evn making the bigs, but I do not think he was over-worked in Miami.

2006 pitch counts:

96 (+1 day off before next start)

105 (+3)

106 (+1)

95 (+1)

103 (+1)

114 (+1)

103 No hitter

Total: 114.1 IP (+85.2 in AA)

He was then hurt for much of the next 3 years (ages 23-25) pitching 30, 52, and 86 innings those 3 years.

At age 26 (2010) he started his streak of 3 straight seasons with between 195 to 196.1 IP and 31-32 GS.

2010: just 3 games with over 110 pitches (tops of 119). Amazingly he never had one game under 85 pitches.

2011: 9 games over 110 with 125 his most.

2012 (with Marlins & Tigers): 3 games over 110 with 119 the most and the other 2 just 111 & 112 pitches.

This guy just turned 29, and in 7 MLB seasons before the start of this year, he had 933 IP. 

Not saying he wasn't a risk, but any big signing is a risk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

You have a problem with a 29-20 record?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I'm one who thought he was not worth it and will stand by that til he proves he can stay healthy. Never said he wasn't a good pitcher or that he couldn't help RS. But lets see how many yrs the Tigers get out of that big contract they gave him for a guy who's had a career filled with injuries including both elbow and shoulder injuries. People complain about Lackey signing and he had no previous history unlike Sanchez's, could you imagine what RS fans would say if they signed this guy to all that $ after the luck they've had w/ Dice K and Lackey their last two big FA pitching acquisitions. Not like Sanchez hasn't thrown a no hitter been there done that. Lets see if he can stay healthy for 5 yrs something he hasn't proved he can do. If he does then I'll be wrong about not signing.

Sections
Shortcuts