Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying

BrocK Huard ( former Washington Husky QB - blonde, vapid, looks like Mary Shelley creation) claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying.  He states Yankee fans have earned their rights but Sox fans are bandwagonjumpers and are just trendy.  He then stated the Yankees had earned their titles while the Sox just won in the steroid era.  This annoyed me for several days.

Some questions:

Not having lived in Mass. for almost 50 years, have Sox fans changed?

With the recent violence at ballparks, is it ok for fans to cheer for the opposing team? I think I get a break because I'm old.

Aren't additional Sox fans just a reaction to rooting for a team that was an underdog to the evil empire for so long?  What's wrong with that?

Didn't the Yankees win a few questionable titles while the steroid nonsense was happening?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying

These allegations are based in fact, though unfair to the real, old time fans.

Most of the newer, bandwagon jumpers are indeed only along for the nice part of the ride. Red Sox gear has become trendy since 2004 , it was laughed at alot before then ( adults could handle the abuse, though children can't, thus we have "Red Sox Nation", which is really just a trendy club for bandwagon fans and fairweather types). These are the obnoxious ones who are giving the rest of us a bad reputation.

I don't have many souveniers, carry a club card, or display Red Sox clothing 24-7. If asked I politely reply , "I am a Red Sox fan because I am from Massachusetts and I have followed them my whole life."...nothing more needs to be said.

If I watched football the Patriots would be my team, but those greedy fools can rot in hell....N.E. Patriots have had a similar following since their first Superbowl win. Patriot fans are everywhere, you didin't see many in the 90's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't think you can lump Sox Nation all into one tidy basket.  If this board is a microcosm of the fan-base at large, we can see that Sox fans fall on many different points on the Annoying Fan Base continuum.  However, that being said, I also conclude, from examining this microcosm, that Sox fans are INDEED the most annoying (the largest % of fans falling on the "Highly Annoying" point on the aforementioned continuum).  These Sox fans are unbelievable spoiled, overly judgemental, and love to let you know about it.  I have lived in both Boston and New York, and have been in New York for a long time now.  Yankee fans can be annoying, but nearly as much as fellow Sox fans.  its crazy.

As for violence at parks, yeah its tough.  But interestingly enough, at yankee stadium, with all my colors and my liquor-bolstered vocal Sox support, I have never got anything more than relatively good natured curses thrown at me.  

And, yes, I guess the Yankees can proudly claim 20 some-odd titles as unquestionable.  But, all the modern-day glory of the "Jeter Era" has to be seen as questionable then too.

Lastly, Brock Huard?  Please.  The guy was a punk when he was at U-Dub and who cares what that clown has to say?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Whether RS are the most annoying or not, I am unsure but if you aren't a RS fan and 15,000 folks show up in red trying to take over your house you'd find that annoying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Babe would heartily disagree with this.Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from .<(The-Babe)>.. Show .<(The-Babe)>.'s posts

I think he hit the nail on the head.

B is for bandwagon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While I'm not really sure what makes Brock Huard an expert on this subject,I think he has a valid point about the Red Sox having some of the most annoying.Although I would disagree that Yankee fans have earned their rights but Sox fans are bandwagon jumpers. 
      As far as bandwagon jumpers goes,the Red Sox have a lot of them.But,the Yankees do too.They're not one of the most recognized teams in the world without having "fans" who have never seen a game,or know anyones name on the team besides Jeter and Arod.That's not a knock on the Yankees,they've been the most successful baseball team and are bound to pick up fans who only know the very basics of the team or want to be associated with a winner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

If bandwagoners are post 2004 Red Sox fans, does this mean that most are relatively young ( 20-50 ). My guess of the age of most on this forum is old (50+). Most seem to be retired, many live in Florida, many are Republican, many speak of the old movies and TV shows of the 1950s and 60s, many recall the players of those same years. One woild expect oldtimer fans to be patient, tolerant, and non-spoiled. Such is not the case on this forum. These oldtimers act  entitled, spoiled, impatient, intolerant, and often like unloyal fans. I don't really see pink hatters or post 2004 fans here. This is a different tribe. Maybe this is the assisted living segment of the bandwagoners club.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm always amused when the "diehard" fan feels the need to distance himself from the "bandwagon" fan. Why anyone should care what . . .  who is it? . . .  Brock Huard? . . .   who's that? . . . thinks is beyond me, but the idea that a succesful team draws more fans is somehow a bad thing seems more than a little preposterous to me (If something can actually be "a little" preposterous). This behavior, just by itself, should tell you all you need to know about both kinds of Red Sox fans. One kind is annoying becacuse he doesn't really care much about the game -- he just wants to be with the in-crowd -- and he'll be gone as soon as the Sox aren't contending again; and the other kind is annoying because he acts so superior to everyone else.

As Chris Rock might say, whatchoo want, a cookie?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]BrocK Huard ( former Washington Husky QB - blonde, vapid, looks like Mary Shelley creation) claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying.  He states Yankee fans have earned their rights but Sox fans are bandwagonjumpers and are just trendy.  He then stated the Yankees had earned their titles while the Sox just won in the steroid era.  This annoyed me for several days. Some questions: Not having lived in Mass. for almost 50 years, have Sox fans changed? With the recent violence at ballparks, is it ok for fans to cheer for the opposing team? I think I get a break because I'm old. Aren't additional Sox fans just a reaction to rooting for a team that was an underdog to the evil empire for so long?  What's wrong with that? Didn't the Yankees win a few questionable titles while the steroid nonsense was happening?
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Huard does numerous radio and television gigs, and has done color commentary for FSN on their Pac-10 games. He has had jobs announcing for ESPN Pop Warner football specials live from Disney's Wide World of Sports. He was recently seen doing color commentary on NFL preseason games on the NFL Network as well as working as a color commentator for college football games on ESPN. He currently is a Co-host on a sports radio talk show with Mike Salk on KIRO-AM (710 ESPN Seattle), the Brock and Salk Show.

Harness lives in Seattle also as does Hill and many others in our forum. It is amazing how many we have in here from the Northwest. How does Brock Huard know anything about Red Sox fans since he hails from your area and is only 26 years old?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

PawsoxPhil,
    Not sure who you're criticizing here.  I'm a very old Democrat who's never been to Florida.  I remember the old, but appreciate the new.  I live and die with Sox, but believe it's my right to second guess at times and not just be a pollyanna.  As a former high school coach, I know it's part of the profession to be second guessed.

Just because the Sox have added new fans doesn't mean that's a bad thing.  If stadiums don't want their fan base overrun with Sox fans, I suggest they put a bettter product on the field.  As for now, just say thank you that Sox fans are keeping their franchise afloat.  And please even a crotchety, old geezer such as myself isn't as smug, self-entitled or obnoxious as a Yankee fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Yankee fans !! LOL It kills me to see Them talking about the 27 Championships as if they attended the games. I'm almost willing to bet I've been to more bat days, cap days, old timers day, and whatever day you want to mention then most of them. Since moving to Florida I don't get to the games as much, Boston or New York, as I use to but, make it a point to travel to either Tampa or Atlanta at least one time a season. As far as Annoying fans, and announcers for that matter, the Guy has obviously never been to a Tampa (Whatever) Ray game. I have been a Sox fan since the days of Yaz, 67 to be exact, have lived through enough bad times and roller coaster seasons to have an opinion on what is going on with the team today. If someone don't like my opinion that is fine with me, there is an ignore button I suggest using it!!  I don't care what type of fan we have, for the most part, because any fan that supports the team financially is fine with me and has a right to voice their opinion even if it's not the most popular !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think it's sad how loud the Red Sox fans are at away games.  But I blame the local fan base for being so lame. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]I think it's sad how loud the Red Sox fans are at away games.  But I blame the local fan base for being so lame. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

But, i do love when the local fan base gets their act together to try and shout down the mighty-voiced Sox nation.  It makes for a much more lively atmosphere than your usual regular season baseball contest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]I don't think you can lump Sox Nation all into one tidy basket.  If this board is a microcosm of the fan-base at large, we can see that Sox fans fall on many different points on the Annoying Fan Base continuum.  However, that being said, I also conclude, from examining this microcosm, that Sox fans are INDEED the most annoying (the largest % of fans falling on the "Highly Annoying" point on the aforementioned continuum).  These Sox fans are unbelievable spoiled, overly judgemental, and love to let you know about it.  I have lived in both Boston and New York, and have been in New York for a long time now.  Yankee fans can be annoying, but nearly as much as fellow Sox fans.  its crazy. As for violence at parks, yeah its tough.  But interestingly enough, at yankee stadium, with all my colors and my liquor-bolstered vocal Sox support, I have never got anything more than relatively good natured curses thrown at me.   And, yes, I guess the Yankees can proudly claim 20 some-odd titles as unquestionable.  But, all the modern-day glory of the "Jeter Era" has to be seen as questionable then too. Lastly, Brock Huard?  Please.  The guy was a punk when he was at U-Dub and who cares what that clown has to say?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

so says the spaceman................whooooooooooooooooooooooooooouh!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Good point by the Gator. If the pink hats and bandwagoners are buying the expensive tickets and selling out Fenway Park night after night and drinking $9 beers, why should I dislike them. Their fat wallets help our ownership pay the bills and compete somewhat with the Evil Empire. I never really understood why there is so much ill feeling against new fans. All we know about them is that they are new, rich, and find going to the Park  a happening and the place to be. Do we dislike those who go to other places where tickets are scarce. I'm happy sitting at home looking at my 55" LCD screen and have no hassles parking the car or using the bathroom and beers are only $1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx3. Show mikeyinthebronx3's posts

I just ordered a Huard-Huskies jersey and I will wear it with pride....a great American this man is!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]Good point by the Gator. If the pink hats and bandwagoners are buying the expensive tickets and selling out Fenway Park night after night and drinking $9 beers, why should I dislike them. Their fat wallets help our ownership pay the bills and compete somewhat with the Evil Empire. I never really understood why there is so much ill feeling against new fans. All we know about them is that they are new, rich, and find going to the Park  a happening and the place to be. Do we dislike those who go to other places where tickets are scarce. I'm happy sitting at home looking at my 55" LCD screen and have no hassles parking the car or using the bathroom and beers are only $1.

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

C'mon pike, we know you don't actually watch baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here's the bandwagon for BDC posters:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Mikey,

With that Huard jersey you get a free tape of his lisping radio partner Mike Salk.  It also includes a picture of daffy duck and a squirt gun so you'll get the real effect of talking to him.  I'm sure the Huard jersey would be better to wear than any Yankee paraphenalia or other lacy, pink items you usually are clad in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Bandwagon Red Sox fans?

You mean like the ones that proclaim "Manny Ortez" to be their favorite player?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

A 30. yr. old talk show commentator whose career was football and lives 3000 miles away from Fenway Park has an opinion on which MLB team has the most bandwagon fans and we are assuming that he is credible. How about asking a surfer in Hawaii? Welcome to Internet forums. Next up with me my opinion on the lack of decorum in the House of Commons in London.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Bandwagon Red Sox fans? You mean like the ones that proclaim "Manny Ortez" to be their favorite player?
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]

"Honey!...I touched my head while using the superglue again!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx3. Show mikeyinthebronx3's posts

[QUOTE]Mikey, With that Huard jersey you get a free tape of his lisping radio partner Mike Salk.  It also includes a picture of daffy duck and a squirt gun so you'll get the real effect of talking to him.  I'm sure the Huard jersey would be better to wear than any Yankee paraphenalia or other lacy, pink items you usually are clad in.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

I was just joking Frank

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Great comeback Frank.