Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying

In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying : I agree with this. I think some of the older fans on the forum also have a hard time not fearing the Yankees. How can you root for a team, and only feel comfortable after they win it all? I don't blame them, though, I blame the fear-inducing Yankee fans who keep everyone in check whenever they seem to get too positive -- and that includes even about individual players. Unreal. I say throw caution to the wind! Enjoy your team, and the season as it's happening. The championship is just icing on the cake. IMO
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Enjoying a team and a season is a wonderful thing, but please don't put down those of us who've been Sox fans since the Ted Williams era just because we became a tad fatalistic.
    Prior to '04 there used to be a pattern to Sox/Yankees games.  The Sox would get what looked to be a commanding lead early in the game only to have the Yankees come back late and scratch out a victory - again and again and again. 
    IIRC during a 9th inning in the '04 playoffs - it might have been game 7 with the Y's or game 4 of the WS - someone, (Bob Costas?  John Miller?) said that even with the commanding lead the Sox had at that time there wasn't a Red Sox fan anywhere who was comfortable with that lead.  There's a reason for that - we'd ended up being the bridesmaid too many times. 

Up until the ALCS in '04 I was of the opinion that no game with the Yankees was over until the wooden stake had been driven through their collective hearts (figuratively speaking, of course).  Things are easier now, but it's hard to shake those old feelings.

(and in a follow-up to a post on another thread today, yes, it IS amazing what the BDC censors will find objectionable.  Hint:  my words, "scratch out", above, were changed to that from a word that looks very much like "scratch" but BDC won't allow.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying : Enjoying a team and a season is a wonderful thing, but please don't put down those of us who've been Sox fans since the Ted Williams era just because we became a tad fatalistic. Prior to '04 there used to be a pattern to Sox/Yankees games.  The Sox would get what looked to be a commanding lead early in the game only to have the Yankees come back late and  scratch out a victory - again and again and again.  IIRC during a 9th inning in the '04 playoffs - it might have been game 7 with the Y's or game 4 of the WS - someone, (Bob Costas?  John Miller?) said that even with the commanding lead the Sox had at that time there wasn't a Red Sox fan anywhere who was comfortable with that lead.  There's a reason for that - we'd ended up being the bridesmaid too many times.  Up until the ALCS in '04 I was of the opinion that no game with the Yankees was over until the wooden stake had been driven through their collective hearts (figuratively speaking, of course).  Things are easier now, but it's hard to shake those old feelings. (and in a follow-up to a post on another thread today, yes, it IS amazing what the BDC censors will find objectionable.  Hint:  my words, "scratch out", above, were changed to that from a word that looks very much like "scratch" but BDC won't allow.)
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I never meant to put anyone down. I'm sorry if my post came across that way, and to anyone who was offended. That was not my intention. Truly. I'm not of the Ted Williams era, but I understand what you're saying. It's just that sometimes I feel people can't even enjoy the games because every game carries so much weight against the Yankees. And, like I said, there are people who like to keep the clouds looming. That bothers me. In a perfect world, I would want everyone to be excited about the team we have, and how they've been playing. A game back is a virtual tie. So much is centered on losses here, that what's really lost is how well this team is doing.

Btw, I bet if you looked at those games now, you'd see how calls may have made a difference. The Yankees are best known, IMO, as the ninth inning. Where would they be without it? :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The point about not earning a title because of Peds use is simply ludicrous.  There is not a team in the past 25 years that won a ws title that did not have at least a couple of juicers playing for it.  The yankees in particular have had a plethora of cheaters over the years so this guy should dispense with nonsense that the yankees titles in the steroid era are "legitimate" and the sox are tainted, what a bonehead!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]BrocK Huard ( former Washington Husky QB - blonde, vapid, looks like Mary Shelley creation) claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying.  He states Yankee fans have earned their rights but Sox fans are bandwagonjumpers and are just trendy.  He then stated the Yankees had earned their titles while the Sox just won in the steroid era.  This annoyed me for several days. Some questions: Not having lived in Mass. for almost 50 years, have Sox fans changed? With the recent violence at ballparks, is it ok for fans to cheer for the opposing team? I think I get a break because I'm old. Aren't additional Sox fans just a reaction to rooting for a team that was an underdog to the evil empire for so long?  What's wrong with that? Didn't the Yankees win a few questionable titles while the steroid nonsense was happening?
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

For whatever reason (and I'm not buying his), the Sox put fannies in the seats of every stadium in which they play.  Usually the more moribund the team, the more Sox fans.  I don't see the owners crabbing about hte extra money.  Rather, they raise the pticket prices and stil sell out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRANFAN8. Show FRANFAN8's posts

I understand why the pink hat has become a symbol of bandwagon fans, but I must protest... I have been a fan since early YAZ days and have followed my beloved Sox thru thick and thin.  I was married to someone who thought that a woman who loved her Sox and Pats was not feminine.  Needless to say, post divorce I have been able to follow my teams daily.  Anyway, for me it is nice to add a feminine pink hat or white hat to my wardrobe and still proclaim my fandom.  I have lived in the NY metro area for the past 20 years, sometimes to my dismay, and Yankee fans vary, from telling me they hate Red Sox fans, to being good natured rivals. 
    I was recently at Fenway, for the first time in decades, and was dismayed to find myself surrounded by younger people who were not following the game, were up and down from their seats... they coiuld have been just as happy at the local bar.  That type of fan, and I know there are plenty in NY, I just don't understand.  They are supporting the team financially, but they truly have no interest, and their presence detracts from the enjoyment of the game for those who paid good money to really watch the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I grew up in Albany, NY and lived there until about 24.  My father's side of the family lived in Mass and CT and therefore I grew up a Sox fan because my Papou was one (and Bruins, Pats, Celtics).  I was ridiculed most of my life by obscenely obnoxious and condescending Yankee blowhards. 

But, apples to apples, if you compare real Sox fans then and now (post '04) to real Yankee fans then and now (post '04 - THE GREATEST CHOKE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND - BWAAA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!) I'd say they're about the same.

Back then Yankee fans would just say "1918" and that would be the end of any conversation.  And to be honest, it should have been.  Now, we just say "Title Town" and Yankee fans get all horked up about the Knicks et. al..  So in short, between the Yanks and Sox we're probably both about as obnoxious.  I believe the rest of the sports world is just sick of the constant media dialogue about us and I can't blame them either.

But I think we can all agree that the most annoying sports fan type ever is a New York Giants and/or New York Jets fan.  That's where the real ridicule should go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i would advise Sox fans not to get all worked up because they received baseball criticism from perhaps one of the worst QB's on the face of the planet....unless you were among those zillion people that boo'ed him mercilessly..Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rls5980. Show rls5980's posts

Who cares, let him have his opinion! We all know the facts! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

I completely reject the premise of this thread.  A. Huard is a know-nothing who's opinion should be taken in the context within which it is given and B. There is no such thing a "bandwagon" fan...there are only degrees of enthusiasm.  Having rooted for the Sox since the Impossible Dream penant run (thus my moniker), I have gone through eras of dispondency and euphoria, but have always been a fan.  To say because I went out and bought a couple of World Champion T-shirts in '04 and '07 (note to psuedo-superior "nonbandwagon" fans...these were not available in '03) I or any other recently re-energized fan am somehow a pink hat wearing Johny-come-lately is utter BS.  and finally C.  Any suggestion that after almost 100 years of using their vast advantage in revenues and wealth to turn major league baseball into their own personal farm system, the Yankees or their fans have somehow "earned" the right to crow about their championships is similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6Vy3l9Gk4

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying : Enjoying a team and a season is a wonderful thing, but please don't put down those of us who've been Sox fans since the Ted Williams era just because we became a tad fatalistic. Prior to '04 there used to be a pattern to Sox/Yankees games.  The Sox would get what looked to be a commanding lead early in the game only to have the Yankees come back late and  scratch out a victory - again and again and again.  IIRC during a 9th inning in the '04 playoffs - it might have been game 7 with the Y's or game 4 of the WS - someone, (Bob Costas?  John Miller?) said that even with the commanding lead the Sox had at that time there wasn't a Red Sox fan anywhere who was comfortable with that lead.  There's a reason for that - we'd ended up being the bridesmaid too many times.  Up until the ALCS in '04 I was of the opinion that no game with the Yankees was over until the wooden stake had been driven through their collective hearts (figuratively speaking, of course).  Things are easier now, but it's hard to shake those old feelings. (and in a follow-up to a post on another thread today, yes, it IS amazing what the BDC censors will find objectionable.  Hint:  my words, "scratch out", above, were changed to that from a word that looks very much like "scratch" but BDC won't allow.)
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I am an oldtimer also and know exactly what you are talking about being fatalistic and cynical and I can remember when no lead in games or score was safe in my mind. However when you bring that baggage to a Red Sox forum and hang it out on the clothesline, it adds to all of the other dirty laundry already here that permeates the forum. Your pessimism is no different than Yankee fans trying to trash talk us or concern trolls playing the role of a dejected, pessimistic fan. Your doom and gloom sounds no different than the phony trolling. The combined effect is to turn the forum into a cemetery ambiance / environment. How do I improve the mood here if I talk about losing the 1975 WS in the last inning, blowing the pennant twice in 1978, Bucky Dent's HR in 1978, Aaron Boone's HR in 2003, etc. Doom and Gloom is contagious, why not sprinkle some cheer into the forum?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
    A beautiful day for a neighbor.
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?...
    Please won't you be my neighbor

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying : I am an oldtimer also and know exactly what you are talking about being fatalistic and cynical and I can remember when no lead in games or score was safe in my mind. However when you bring that baggage to a Red Sox forum and hang it out on the clothesline, it adds to all of the other dirty laundry already here that permeates the forum. Your pessimism is no different than Yankee fans trying to trash talk us or concern trolls playing the role of a dejected, pessimistic fan. Your doom and gloom sounds no different than the phony trolling. The combined effect is to turn the forum into a cemetery ambiance / environment. How do I improve the mood here if I talk about losing the 1975 WS in the last inning, blowing the pennant twice in 1978, Bucky Dent's HR in 1978, Aaron Boone's HR in 2003, etc. Doom and Gloom is contagious, why not sprinkle some cheer into the forum?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Cater will never get it. he comes here for entertainment and nothing else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

umm, phil, isn't that kind of why we are here, to entertain ourselves? I didn't realize what we post influences Red Sox executive, managerial moves? It's just way too serious here, way too often. GO SOX!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Yes, but  however but you purposely annoy  others with being insincere, phony, baiting, and conniving.. Are you proud of wasting the time and effort of Red Sox fans by  trying to bait them into your entertainment by being contary, a devil's advocate, and a  baiter? When many take you seriously and you laugh at them for being so naive, does that make you feel good and superior? Sooner or later, they will wake up to your act.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying:
    [QUOTE]BrocK Huard ( former Washington Husky QB - blonde, vapid, looks like Mary Shelley creation) claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying.  He states Yankee fans have earned their rights but Sox fans are bandwagonjumpers and are just trendy.  He then stated the Yankees had earned their titles while the Sox just won in the steroid era.  This annoyed me for several days. Some questions: Not having lived in Mass. for almost 50 years, have Sox fans changed? With the recent violence at ballparks, is it ok for fans to cheer for the opposing team? I think I get a break because I'm old. Aren't additional Sox fans just a reaction to rooting for a team that was an underdog to the evil empire for so long?  What's wrong with that? Didn't the Yankees win a few questionable titles while the steroid nonsense was happening?
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Well I guess this leads to an overall fundamental question...

A.  Why would anyone or their mother care about what Brock Huard has to say?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

With the bases loaded and two outs in the botton of the ninth at Yankee Stadium tonight, there was a 99.9% chance that some incredibly obnoxious Red Sox fan somewhere took to flapping something with a butterfly on it that ultimately prevented that shot off the bat of Nick the Swish from leaving the yard.

Many who Huard what Brock had to say about the pinkish nature of the Red Sox fan base, know his words to be true.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Of course Cy Young, Tris Speaker and Harry Hooper were total juice heads.

If only we had 27 rings.  Then we will have earned our right to yell f-you to small children and throw beer at them who enter our stadium wearing opposing team gear.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcer/radio host claims Red Sox fans are the most annoying : I am an oldtimer also and know exactly what you are talking about being fatalistic and cynical and I can remember when no lead in games or score was safe in my mind. However when you bring that baggage to a Red Sox forum and hang it out on the clothesline, it adds to all of the other dirty laundry already here that permeates the forum. Your pessimism is no different than Yankee fans trying to trash talk us or concern trolls playing the role of a dejected, pessimistic fan. Your doom and gloom sounds no different than the phony trolling. The combined effect is to turn the forum into a cemetery ambiance / environment. How do I improve the mood here if I talk about losing the 1975 WS in the last inning, blowing the pennant twice in 1978, Bucky Dent's HR in 1978, Aaron Boone's HR in 2003, etc. Doom and Gloom is contagious, why not sprinkle some cheer into the forum?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

hey pawsex,

sounds like this announcer met you personally.