Anonymity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Anonymity

Only posters themselves are allowed to divulge personal information. Other that, we know little or nothing behind the board names. We are allowed to comment on personal information as given, but not to seek out non-volunteered information.
    ( Compare that to what goes on in politics. ) It is a reasonable safeguard for anonymity. Some posters have speculated about the life of the real person behind the board name, but that is very risky and can become irresponsible.
    All of this makes for a curious -- indeed unique -- form of argumentation, different by miles from the kind in print with names attached, different by light years from face-to-face debates. "Argumentation" is probably not even the right term for board combat. It's more like a free-for-all amongst people wearing masks.
    That does not necessarily make it bad or useless or dangerous. It can even be illuminating. At times it's funny. 
    But before people invest too much of their self-worth in these exchanges, they should keep the essential nature of the board in mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Anonymity

I never presume a poster here would indeed represent that person 100% in the real world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ex - I know Pike trys to out people, and has at least once alleged the real name of a poster.

T - I'm pretty much the same here as in real life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What the heck. I used to produce musicals, but now I'm your typical ex-con.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Over 3 years I have revealed bits and pieces of my life and just last month pike unveiled a summary of my life since 1999, and he only was able to do that by paying attention to little things that were said over 3 years. Really wow

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

enchilada, he's done that with me as far as he charts posts from the 3 forums both of us have used, and literally makes his interpretations of what kind of people we all are based on the posts. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

you first.  yawn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hahaha.  Softy taking a stand against the anonymity.  Thats funny.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Anonymity:
    Over 3 years I have revealed bits and pieces of my life and just last month pike  unveiled a summary of my life since 1999, and he only was able to do that by paying attention to little things that were said over 3 years. Really wow
    Posted by EnchiladaT

I missed that, but am not surprised....that's why I call him a creepy stalker, among other things.  He's already mentioned a few things about me I'd previously mentioned in posts so I am sure he's got one of his creepy, humourless, sexless, stalking weirdo dossiers started for me.

He really is f****d up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Anonymity:
    Only posters themselves are allowed to divulge personal information. Other that, we know little or nothing behind the board names. We are allowed to comment on personal information as given, but not to seek out non-volunteered information. ( Compare that to what goes on in politics. ) It is a reasonable safeguard for anonymity. Some posters have speculated about the life of the real person behind the board name, but that is very risky and can become irresponsible. All of this makes for a curious -- indeed unique -- form of argumentation, different by miles from the kind in print with names attached, different by light years from face-to-face debates. "Argumentation" is probably not even the right term for board combat. It's more like a free-for-all amongst people wearing masks. That does not necessarily make it bad or useless or dangerous. It can even be illuminating. At times it's funny.  But before people invest too much of their self-worth in these exchanges, they should keep the essential nature of the board in mind.
    Posted by expitch

I guess if that makes you feel better about bad behaviour, have at it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is a Red Sox forum , not Facebook. Some posters reveal more personal information than others. Have no idea how much of it is true , or how much is fiction. And , I really don't care. Just come here for a discussion of the Red Sox , baseball in general, and to offer my ideas and opinions, for what they are worth. And, of course , there is always the occasional , but inevitable, political topic of the day.  And , a little humor never hurts. Have a nice day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Anonymity:
    In Response to Re: Anonymity : I missed that, but am not surprised....that's why I call him a creepy stalker, among other things.  He's already mentioned a few things about me I'd previously mentioned in posts so I am sure he's got one of his creepy, humourless, sexless, stalking weirdo dossiers started for me. He really is f****d up.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

Funny, pike seems to avoid me like the plague. I wonder why? Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I'm 62 retired but work as a substitute teacher in high school here in Bradenton FL. Should have been one my whole life. Worked for Raytheon and Wang labs.
    3 kids 7 grandkids.

I'm actually the same on or off the board. I have actually bcome more thoughtful and free to speak my mind as I got older. More free to speak my mind because I know more and care less about what others think in the sense that I think before talking.

Don't try and BS me with feelings or perceptions. I'm a realist/optimist used to be  a 100% optimist. Like  see all the numbers before I make a statement and aways do when some one says his W/L record suks or is good and thus he suks or is good. It is always more rather than just one thing especially in Baseball.

Now no one as to guess about me.

BTW I love the RS win or lose and just enjoy the games and now the all are trying their best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The only thing that needs to be real here are our opinions.

My opinions are real.

The big lizard is fantasy.

Bet you all knew that.

I prefer to keep my true name and many other things private. I have stated my age and the general region where I live. Even these things are unimportant. I am not ashamed of who or what I am, but I just do not think it's anyone's business but my own. I think posting pictures of yourself and too much information about yourself is unwise.

I started doing this to entertain myself during lunchtime, not to spread personal info about my life through cyberspace.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pike or not - i try to not be paranoid about what i post....i try to be honest to a degree....people who come in here trying to play a role are actors, not fans...i can get animated myself but i is who i is (1929, Popeye)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

....I think we should all try to keep from becoming too political on the Front Burner.

I don't mind the occasional political jabs and attempts at humor, but long-winded political opinions should be removed.

We can all get into enough arguments on baseball related issues, without getting into who pays his fair share of taxes and who doesn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even when people disagree in here....heck even when I insult people or am insulted I feel there is some sense of entertainment behind it.  It's all part of the fun if you ask me.  Heck I don't think there is a person in here I wouldn't enjoy a beer with if I ever ran into them at Fenway park.....so keep posting and keep hating! no one's getting hurt. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Anonymity:
    Only posters themselves are allowed to divulge personal information. Other that, we know little or nothing behind the board names. We are allowed to comment on personal information as given, but not to seek out non-volunteered information. ( Compare that to what goes on in politics. ) It is a reasonable safeguard for anonymity. Some posters have speculated about the life of the real person behind the board name, but that is very risky and can become irresponsible. All of this makes for a curious -- indeed unique -- form of argumentation, different by miles from the kind in print with names attached, different by light years from face-to-face debates. "Argumentation" is probably not even the right term for board combat. It's more like a free-for-all amongst people wearing masks. That does not necessarily make it bad or useless or dangerous. It can even be illuminating. At times it's funny.  But before people invest too much of their self-worth in these exchanges, they should keep the essential nature of the board in mind.
    Posted by expitch

We don't know anything even if people divulge things about themselves.  People make things up on the internet all the time.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" a few political comments on a non-baseball thread should not ruffle any feathers."

True but you upchuck your politics all over the threads here, including the baseball threads. I guess it's some kind of compulsive disorder. 

Looking forward to you releasing your passport and other personal data here however, that should be interesting. 

Shameful for Pike to release folks personal information here, even compiled stuff. That's creepy and uncalled for. 

"The only thing that needs to be real here are our opinions. My opinions are real. The big lizard is fantasy. Bet you all knew that"

Perfectly stated. 

To me anonymity is everywhere online. Even my Facebook friends, I know only the parts of their lives they choose to present, and there are plenty of fake "people" on Facebook who seem to be real people but are not. What we disclose here might or might not be true. 

I enjoy the free-flowing baseball discussion here with very divergent views from my own and so on. The idea of inviting these folks into my life and living room - well, no offense to many of the fine individuals here but that's not what I'm looking for or why I'm here. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sections
Shortcuts