ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21218741/red-sox-acquire-third-baseman-valencia

the man trades a potential 5-tool guy in the Gulf coast league for a guy who clearly has peaked in his development in mr. danny valencia. this is another lilibridge (with us) or pinto. these are ham and egging, dime and dozen jambronis. y  trade a potential stud for a 27 yo plateaued stiff like this? no way he ever gets to start. i would rather have marte or a guy like that pinch start if middy goes down or sign a guy off the street. this seems like another wasted depth move.

the 21-year-old Pineda is a switch-hitting second baseman, with a .421 average,  a .981 OPS and 14 stolen bases. yeah, guess his "upside was diagnosed as limited" but give me a break... anyone with a brain who still thinks kalish over reddick is a mark of genius? potential my butttt. look at the reality of their play. reddy showed every meaningful sign of being a guy ready to make a leap or at the very least being a serviceable role piece like the OF we dumbly traded to texas for gagne. reddick just hit his 24th HR. we couldnt wait til the all-star break or during the off-season (as with lars freakin anderson) to give reddy a full shot at proving himself? kalish was that ready?

like with the medical staff last year, i question whoever is making these talent evaluations. iggy over pedro, another JOKE... least it was corrected and they didnt jettison pedro for a bag of balls while making us stuck with iggy. if we have reddy right now, we are in major contention. look for pinada to be starting and producing with the twins in 2 years long after this vinacia stiff is pounding sand in some international league!

btw, michael olmsted is a hulking 6'6 250 pounder 25 yo with a nasty stache we signed from an independent league tryout who now has a blistering fastball and is striking out a phenomenal 14.2 batters per nine innings. since he's been fast-tracked to portland, he's struckout 12 in 7 innings with ONE walk (the man has pinpoint control as well).

xander is the 19 yo pedy-clone who is all the rage right now. in his last four games, he is 11-for-17 (.647) with a .684 OBP, 1.000 slugging mark and six doubles. For the year, he’s now hitting .301 (9th in the Carolina League) with a .377 OBP (8th), .504 slugging mark (6th) and .881 OPS (6th) along with 15 homers (tied for 5th).

this team has some pieces, we just need some patience and to stop mortgaging the future. lets give the big move, big money thing a rest for a year or 2. lets sink or swing with prudence. let the kids dictate the future!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Re: ANOTHER BC trade head scratcher from just yesterday

Um, there's TWO other threads on this subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Pineda is an outfielder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?

We traded surplus inventory for a player that can help us in Pawtucket this and next year one with upside it's as simple as that...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker&id=pineda000jer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

Re: ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?

How anyone concludes that Reddick would blossom suddenly after hitting adequately for a short while last year and then fading is bryond me. Throw in his defensive lapses and what you saw was a not ready for prime time player. At the end of the season, evaluation would show you that Kalish was AT LEAST the equal of Reddick offensively and the superior defensive player.
     Now Reddick has blossomed with regular playing time in a stress free atmosphere, remember Beane was being ridiculed for going into re-building mode yet again after trading off most of his stars. Good for Reddick, but it was still a smart trade from the Sox side of things, getting something for a young player who you won't play much is by definition a good trade. Keeping Reddick means you would have had to forseen injuries to CC, Ells and Bailey, not likely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In all fairness it is hard to assess trading away Reddick until we see what Bailey will give us.

But I was part of the group supporting Reddick last year, and predicted his worth at the MLB level.  His MLB career has started off very similar to his MILB experience.  His numbers where never great in the minors but he always showed some since of upward mobility, even watching him play in Pawtucket and Portland he ALWAYS made adjustments.   So last year when he started to struggle everyone called him a "flash in the pan"  Even this year it is easy to break down his splits and critisize him but I STILL say that kid is not done growing. 

It seems fitting that we trade Reddick keep Kalish (who is injured pretty much until now.  Bailey hasn't played one game and Sweeney has seen his time on the D.L.  The Josh Reddick (+Miles head and other) for Sweeney/Bailey is just a prime example of how every move made by this team the last couple years has seemed to be the wrong one.

Granted some of this has been bad luck, but it has been poor management by all means.  I'm all about holding onto the future, don't trade the prospects.  Go with what we got and if they can't make a comeback then it will be easier to justify trimming the fat. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?:
     How anyone concludes that Reddick would blossom suddenly after hitting adequately for a short while last year and then fading is bryond me. Throw in his defensive lapses and what you saw was a not ready for prime time player. At the end of the season, evaluation would show you that Kalish was AT LEAST the equal of Reddick offensively and the superior defensive player.  Now Reddick has blossomed with regular playing time in a stress free atmosphere, remember Beane was being ridiculed for going into re-building mode yet again after trading off most of his stars. Good for Reddick, but it was still a smart trade from the Sox side of things, getting something for a young player who you won't play much is by definition a good trade. Keeping Reddick means you would have had to forseen injuries to CC, Ells and Bailey, not likely.
    Posted by Middlebrooks
    as i recall, we got sweeney and bailey back. we could have kept redddick and signed ross as insurance and have them platoon or rotate in right as ross and sweeney have done. got it? bailey was a luxury item. we had ace and enough spare parts incl melancon who noone assumed would start that bad. no beef with lowrie trade. given enough chance to show he was who he was. reddy was pretty great for a while there. faded at the end as MOST youngies do incl bryce harper of late and even middy. its about making adjustments like taking more pitches and swinging at better balls. those are things that clearly can be improved upon. kalish if he had gotten hot is the guy u bring up to replace ells with injuries and inevitably during the off-season. david murphphy is the guy i'm thinking about. reddy proved to be at least as good as him. reddy had the tude for boston. did you not see the nasty catch he made against baltimore, we would be building him a ststue if he did that around here. what young kid doesnt have lapses?

reddy is a BETTER defensive player than ross with huge upside. plus his personality is just what this team is missing! he would have been a great clubhouse leader type. that must be included in it. i live in baltimore, best catch all year was when his team was down up by a run in the ninth and bases were loaded with 2 outs and markikis hits the ball to the wall, josh totally laid out by jumping and spectacularly catching it and holding on as he got knocked out with a game-saving concussion. he couldnt even walk, had to be carted off and missed a few games. the man is a gamer and a WINNER!

HE'S ANOTHER ONE THAT NEEDLESSLY GOT AWAY. KALISH MAY BE GREAT TOO BUT HE'S 2 YEARS AWAY. JOSH WAS ALMOST THERE, I SAW IT AND CALLED AT THE TIME AS I HAVE WITH pedro! COUPLE OF BRIEF JOSH MOMENTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuCEkUUdm9A spiderman catch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmRf0ZS5RI&feature=channel&list=UL u dont think we could use a persona like this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER BC trade head scratcher from just yesterday:
    Pineda is an outfielder.
    Posted by chuchos
    important distinction. article i read said he was a switch-hitting 2nd baseman. to me, we need all the infield help we can get, no more puntos. perhaps BC isnt so dumb after all, we have a surplus of young OF potentials, all cant and wont make it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

You couldn't possibly be more wrong, it is EXACTLY what we should all be focusing on. The repeated failure to adequately assess talent of both our players and competitors, is precisely why we have been floundering for years. It goes to the heart of why a team with the 3rd or 4th highest team payroll has a shoddy product on the field. You don't trade a 21 yr old excelling far above early expectations, for a 27 yr old who has been fully vetted and proven to be a marginal player. Why would you?! It's just another in a series of blunderous, poorly thought out moves which harm our beloved franchise. And, by the way, you'll hear more in the Globe about this trade soon. Was it a block buster trade? Of course not! But it's symptomatic of all that ails us.

In Response to Re: ANOTHER BC trade error, how soon before we also trade XANDER BOGAERTS or MICHAEL OLMSTED for JAMBRONIS?:
    The media (Globe) didn't need to put news of this minor, insignificant trade on the front page here. Maybe that is why many of you are overreacting to it.
    Posted by Fenwayjimy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The media (Globe) didn't need to put news of this minor, insignificant trade on the front page here. Maybe that is why many of you are overreacting to it.
    Posted by Fenwayjimy
    Actually, it was one of the fairer stories the Globe has run this year. At least it's true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't know why, but I thought this was funny.

Credited minor league service time per BR-0

Usually it takes a solid 15-20 MLB ABs before we put a guy in the HOF.  Now we glorifying 21 y.o. guys that haven't even played enough to qualify for minor league credit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't get the Valencia deal, but Pineda is a 21yo OF in a league populated by 19yo's, and is getting by with a .500BABIP.

The Sox might have moved a potential talent, but in all likelihood he never even makes it to AAA...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Notin, I agree, he is no more than a suspect in the GCL. The Twins may monitor that group more closely,as they have a team in the same league, and perhaps with their development system, the more young guys they have the more opportunity to find a diamond in the rough.

If nothing less Valencia has proven himself at the Maj.L level with the bat and the glove. He's got decent speed and might serve as insurance. He certainly would be tradeable if need be. Good upside.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: ANOTHER GREAT BC PRE-EMPTION, i was WRONG about the PINEDA for VALENCIA trade!

since i have no beef starting "as CONTRARIAN predicted..." threads, its only fair that i likewise take my lumps when i get it wrong as well. right about now, pineda for valencia appears to be a steal. unlike throwing out raw meat like kalish out there, we are lucky to have a proven mlb vet-type in valencia we can throw out there to hold water at this time. imagine, if our only option was the PUNTO? O FREAKIN MG! thats great general managing right there, to anticipate. to look for a valencia in desperation, would have cost us much more than just a pineda. lets give the man his props when gets it right, gawd knows he has messed a few these up too.. blind squirrel runs into nut or hopefully a trend to continue?

Sections
Shortcuts