Another champagne celebration for the Astros

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Another champagne celebration for the Astros

With a victory on Wednesday, the Astros have won the series in New York against the Yankees and have taken the season series overall, regardless of tomorrow's outcome.  I caught the final out on MLB highlights, but their celebration seemed somewhat subdued given they have just beaten a team with a higher payroll than the Red Sox.

There could be a few good reasons why they withheld from dumping Gatorade over Bo Porter's head and didn't douse the clubhouse reporters with bubbly (at least as far as we know).

1. The Yankees don't hold the same mystique these days as the Red Sox do given that the Red Sox have won three titles in the last ten years while the Yankees have only won one.  The Red Sox are also the reigning World Champions, so they are the new Goliath in spite of their lesser payroll.

2.  As their eager young players mature, the Astros are a professional major league team that now expects to more often win series against teams with veteran players and established franchise success.  As professionals, they conduct themselves accordingly.

3.  The most obvious would be that they haven't completed the regular-season series and play tomorrow.  Maybe this judgement is premature and we should expect revelry tomorrow evening if the Astros sweep.

4.  They're a bit burnt out on celebrations after achieving the ultimate goal for the season (see reference below).

posted at 6/7/2014 2:08 PM EDT

• andrewmitch
    • First: 6/4/2005
    • Last: 6/8/2014
    I believe I stated last month, just wait until August 17th. The Red Sox will be trying to avoid a 4 game sweep at HOME vs the Mighty Astros. And by 5PM that Sunday evening you will see just how low the Sox have allowed themselves to sink. Easily ahead of pace for a 100 loss season and officially tagged as the single most embarasing team one year following a World Series Title. Don't believe me? Go back and read the posts. And if you missed it, I urge you once again to mark August 17th down on your calendars so you can witness history. I will warn you to turn it of immediately after the last out is made unless you want to see a celebration of the other team on your home field because to the Astros, that will be the closet thing they get to a World Series Championship.

While this prediction didn't exactly come to fruition, andrew-mitch defended the spirit of the post on last Sunday's game thread.  Here's a little sampler.

posted at 8/18/2014 4:22 PM EDT

andrewmitch
    First: 6/4/2005
    Last: 8/20/2014
    In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and the Astros. Don't forget the Astros. It was a huge deal for them. Taking 2 of 4 in Fenway; the home of the WSC's and a team that has 4X their payroll or roughly $110 million more (roughly more $than 90% of all team). Yes my friend, you've forgotten how big a deal this was for the Astros. The only one who didn't care is the Sox; of course they don't care about winning at all this year.

[/QUOTE]

The Astros are vastly improved over last year, winning 42.4% of their games compared to 35.4%. They are playing a lot better against everybody, not just us. This series was not anything special for them, unless you have some quotes to that effect.

You are a pretty good spin doctor though, I have to say.

[/QUOTE]

If I have time, I'll see if I can find anything on the Stros blogs/newsites; I guarantee they are walking with an extra jump in their steps today........

I guess andrew-mitch didn't have time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Another champagne celebration for the Astros

Yanks lose series but dodge a sweep with a 3-0 victory....great job by McCarthy today..still a meager offensive output today 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

S-R....your op is the P.O.T.D.

other names i have posted under:  none

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yanks lose series but dodge a sweep with a 3-0 victory....great job by McCarthy today..still a meager offensive output today 

[/QUOTE]

McCarthy looked really good today.  Much to my dismay, he has been a good pick up for the Yankees.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

McCarthy looked really good today.  Much to my dismay, he has been a good pick up for the Yankees.

[/QUOTE] Hi Kimmi, he and Green have been pleasant surprises and Prado has played well since coming over

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The SOX and the Yanks both stink. The main difference is that the Yanks stink a little less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Hi Kimmi, he and Green have been pleasant surprises and Prado has played well since coming over

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but whoopy whoop for an expensive calamity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

With a victory on Wednesday, the Astros have won the series in New York against the Yankees and have taken the season series overall, regardless of tomorrow's outcome.  I caught the final out on MLB highlights, but their celebration seemed somewhat subdued given they have just beaten a team with a higher payroll than the Red Sox.

There could be a few good reasons why they withheld from dumping Gatorade over Bo Porter's head and didn't douse the clubhouse reporters with bubbly (at least as far as we know).

1. The Yankees don't hold the same mystique these days as the Red Sox do given that the Red Sox have won three titles in the last ten years while the Yankees have only won one.  The Red Sox are also the reigning World Champions, so they are the new Goliath in spite of their lesser payroll.

2.  As their eager young players mature, the Astros are a professional major league team that now expects to more often win series against teams with veteran players and established franchise success.  As professionals, they conduct themselves accordingly.

3.  The most obvious would be that they haven't completed the regular-season series and play tomorrow.  Maybe this judgement is premature and we should expect revelry tomorrow evening if the Astros sweep.

4.  They're a bit burnt out on celebrations after achieving the ultimate goal for the season (see reference below).

posted at 6/7/2014 2:08 PM EDT

• andrewmitch
    • First: 6/4/2005
    • Last: 6/8/2014
    I believe I stated last month, just wait until August 17th. The Red Sox will be trying to avoid a 4 game sweep at HOME vs the Mighty Astros. And by 5PM that Sunday evening you will see just how low the Sox have allowed themselves to sink. Easily ahead of pace for a 100 loss season and officially tagged as the single most embarasing team one year following a World Series Title. Don't believe me? Go back and read the posts. And if you missed it, I urge you once again to mark August 17th down on your calendars so you can witness history. I will warn you to turn it of immediately after the last out is made unless you want to see a celebration of the other team on your home field because to the Astros, that will be the closet thing they get to a World Series Championship.

While this prediction didn't exactly come to fruition, andrew-mitch defended the spirit of the post on last Sunday's game thread.  Here's a little sampler.

posted at 8/18/2014 4:22 PM EDT

andrewmitch
    First: 6/4/2005
    Last: 8/20/2014
    In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and the Astros. Don't forget the Astros. It was a huge deal for them. Taking 2 of 4 in Fenway; the home of the WSC's and a team that has 4X their payroll or roughly $110 million more (roughly more $than 90% of all team). Yes my friend, you've forgotten how big a deal this was for the Astros. The only one who didn't care is the Sox; of course they don't care about winning at all this year.

[/QUOTE]

The Astros are vastly improved over last year, winning 42.4% of their games compared to 35.4%. They are playing a lot better against everybody, not just us. This series was not anything special for them, unless you have some quotes to that effect.

You are a pretty good spin doctor though, I have to say.

[/QUOTE]

If I have time, I'll see if I can find anything on the Stros blogs/newsites; I guarantee they are walking with an extra jump in their steps today........

I guess andrew-mitch didn't have time.

[/QUOTE]

A moronic thread by one of the quintessential homers of this board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but whoopy whoop for an expensive calamity.

[/QUOTE] wasn't endorsing the overall mess Steven, but i absolutely do agree...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I guess winning 2 out of 4 in Fenway and taking the season series against the Yankees wasn't enough to save Bo Porter's job.  The organization must have had higher aspirations for the team than did Andrew Mitch.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess winning 2 out of 4 in Fenway and taking the season series against the Yankees wasn't enough to save Bo Porter's job.  The organization must have had higher aspirations for the team than did Andrew Mitch.  

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I am a little puzzled by the firing.  The Astros have been playing fairly well for a long stretch.  48-53 since early May.  I think they are doing a good job developing young talent, but as of today, they still aren't a good team.  I think maybe Feldman and Qualls are the only regulars that are older than 28.

On the surface, it looks to me like Porter is doing a good job.  And I am not bashing Luhnow either, since I think he's doing a good job too.  Maybe some partnerships aren't meant to last, without either side being at fault.

[object HTMLDivElement]