Another Drew thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Another Drew thread.

I had to watch the Sox game last night on the Yes[Yankee] network so I did not see alot of the Sox bench when Ellsbury hit the HR in the 13th inning, but my son who lives in San Diego called me this morning and  said he watched on the MLB channel and when Ellsbury hit the HR, the MLB channel showed the Sox bench and the players and their celebration of the HR, but in the back ground it showed Drew sitting on the bench and not cheering or showing any emotion at all. Don't we think he would have shown some reaction to the HR?

I f he really doesn't want to be their and around his team mates and help celebrate a huge HR, then why is he their, and why does Terry play him?

I think that is one major difference between the team of 04 and this present team, player's in 04 were all for each other and played with emotion, but it seems their are a few player's on the 2011 team who don't play with much or any enthusiam, or just a lackidasical attatude.

Did anyone who watched the game on MLB channel or the Yes network, or I would guess that Nesn had it also, have that impression or see Drew on the bench with  no reaction? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Another Drew thread.

I have to admit, that's exactly what I saw. And I was also surprised by that. Though J is right, if I recall, he didn't show much emotion after his GWRBI vs. the Rays in that '08 comeback.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Another Drew thread.:
    [QUOTE]I had to watch the Sox game last night on the Yes[Yankee] network so I did not see alot of the Sox bench when Ellsbury hit the HR in the 13th inning, but my son who lives in San Diego called me this morning and  said he watched on the MLB channel and when Ellsbury hit the HR, the MLB channel showed the Sox bench and the players and their celebration of the HR, but in the back ground it showed Drew sitting on the bench and not cheering or showing any emotion at all. Don't we think he would have shown some reaction to the HR? I f he really doesn't want to be their and around his team mates and help celebrate a huge HR, then why is he their, and why does Terry play him? I think that is one major difference between the team of 04 and this present team, player's in 04 were all for each other and played with emotion, but it seems their are a few player's on the 2011 team who don't play with much or any enthusiam, or just a lackidasical attatude. Did anyone who watched the game on MLB channel or the Yes network, or I would guess that Nesn had it also, have that impression or see Drew on the bench with  no reaction? 
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

someone mentioned the same thing last night in the game thread. that said, Drew hasn't ever shown emotion. i dont think drew would have reacted if he had hit the HR.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

drew's doctor told him to move as little as possible, or he could sustain another injury. the SOX don't want to lose that bat in RF.
    hell, drew might have such a fantastic final 3 games, that theo einstein might re-sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I was watching on NESN and Drew wasn't jumping up and down,but Drew doesn't express a lot of emotions.I was pretty happy that he got a RBI last night though. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Another Drew thread.:
    [QUOTE]I think that is one major difference between the team of 04 and this present team, player's in 04 were all for each other and played with emotion, but it seems their are a few player's on the 2011 team who don't play with much or any enthusiam, or just a lackidasical attatude.  
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Drew fits into this category, but then again, he was on the 2007 team that one. Who else fits into this category? Is there anyone else?

Outward shows of emotion is overrated. It's nice to see from a fans standpoint but means nothing if you can't play. I'd rather have a team of emotionless players who can play and win games than a bunch of players who wear emotion and passion on their sleeves but can't play a lick and play .500 ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I didn't see that but Drew did get excited after the G5 hit in the 08 ALCS and he did get excited during a walk off hit earlier in the season (I can't recall who got the hit - I want to say DMac).........so I wouldn't knock him.  Besides Drew is untouchable as far as I am concerned when viewed through the lense of one Carl "The Butcher" Crawford

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Another Drew thread.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Another Drew thread. : someone mentioned the same thing last night in the game thread. that said, Drew hasn't ever shown emotion. i dont think drew would have reacted if he had hit the HR.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Agree that Drew has always been this way.  He never is very emotional and he isn't going to change now.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

J.D.....J.D....THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING...WE JUST WON A VERY BIG GAME, CAN YOU HEAR ME?....AREN'T YOU GLAD FOR US?...CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ME?

Jim...J.D. is a Vulcan , he has no emotions, he couldn't get excited if he was naked and alone with 16 playboy bunnies....dammit Jim , listen to me...they've taken his brain....not only is he lacking emotion , he now has no way to even understand the concept.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

JD couldn't even get emotional doing this

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Yep!  Dobler was the first to post it last night!

I was on my way to the computer after my wife pointed out the same thing.  We watched it several times, & Drew barely cracked a smile, if that!  I think the MLB Network was the only place to see it???  I understand that NESN did show him giving Ells a high 5 once he reached the dugout, but by then it was too late!  Drew consistently shows his true colors! 

It certainly fits with my long running main critique of Drew.  If it doesn't have anything to do with him glorifying Jesus, he really couldn't care less.  I've got no problem with a guy thanking God, or being a strong Christian, but when his "couldn't care less" attitude trickles down & hurts the team chemistry?????  The guy should be GONE!  Strike out?  NO BIGGIE  Hit an occasional home run??????  Who cares!  Make a nice play in RF?  Don't really care.  Hit into another double play?  Oh well.  Strike out some more?  Jesus still loves me. 

I'm absolutely convinced that the ONLY REASON Tito & the FO are now playing J.D. Drew, is out of pure desperation.  These injuries have been bogus!  His finger??????  REALLY??????  They did not think they were going to need him, & didn't want to play him.  I think it has to do with the afore mentioned "could care less" attitude he plays or sits with!

HAVING RANTED ALL THIS??????  I was actually glad to see him in the line-up!  He is a VERY GOOD to exceptional RF'r, & Reddick has been clearly showing his fielding deficits!  His bat could also be clutch down the stretch????  I hope J.D. can step up & realize that "having his teammate's back" is a huge part of showing his overall character as a Christian Man!  I'm not suggesting he shelve his strong faith!  Just refocus it with respect to his JOB!!!!!   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Michael Kaye on YES last night said that a reporter asked Drew if he was playing in Game 2 , and Drew said , " Yeah , they want me to."  Asked if he felt okay to play , he said " I feel lousy."   Interesting. Was he playing against his will? Does he even care anymore , at this point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Another Drew thread. : Drew fits into this category, but then again, he was on the 2007 team that one. Who else fits into this category? Is there anyone else? Outward shows of emotion is overrated. It's nice to see from a fans standpoint but means nothing if you can't play. I'd rather have a team of emotionless players who can play and win games than a bunch of players who wear emotion and passion on their sleeves but can't play a lick and play .500 ball.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Right on target.
    When John McKay was the football coach at USC, he was asked why his team didn't have more spirit. He said, "My wife Corky has plenty of spirit, but she couldn't throw a pass to save her life."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Mojo, ...we're beamin' ya off this planet, laddie....

...you are too funny and will cause laughter, which is a direct violation of the prime directive...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Michael Kaye on YES last night said that a reporter asked Drew if he was playing in Game 2 , and Drew said , " Yeah , they want me to."  Asked if he felt okay to play , he said " I feel lousy."   Interesting. Was he playing against his will? Does he even care anymore , at this point.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I get the impression the only part of his baseball career that is not against his will is the part where he gets paid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

geez you can't make this stuff up...drew looked fine to me last night...couldn't care less if he jumps for joy or prays...Ellsbury hit the homer...I think I saw him get excited...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Drew also got us off the schneid yesterday -- something others have been unable to do.  Maybe it's because they're too caught up in the excitement of the moment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

He's thinking about his new fishing boat.

He gets more than $500K every two weeks, so he shouldn't have any trouble affording it, plus a few lures.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

The world is made up of extroverts and introverts and it's been my experience that extroverts don;t understand and consistently misinterpret introverts.

Drew is an extreme introvert.  Deal with it; it;s who he is and he's not going to change.  But remember, last night he got the comeback started by driving in the 1st run with a single and had a hand in the tieing run by moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd by pulling a ground ball (professional hitting that the rest of the team has has had a lot of trouble doing lately).

Do I think he likes playing baseball?  No, I don't think he does.  I don't know that a lot of professional athletes necessarily enjoy what they are doing for a living.  But for that matter, how many of us are in love with our jobs each and every day?        

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]The world is made up of extroverts and introverts and it's been my experience that extroverts don;t understand and consistently misinterpret introverts.   Drew is an extreme introvert.  Deal with it; it;s who he is and he's not going to change.  But remember, last night he got the comeback started by driving in the 1st run with a single and had a hand in the tieing run by moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd by pulling a ground ball (professional hitting that the rest of the team has has had a lot of trouble doing lately). Do I think he likes playing baseball?  No, I don't think he does.  I don't know that a lot of professional athletes necessarily enjoy what they are doing for a living.  But for that matter, how many of us are in love with our jobs each and every day?        
    Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE]

This sort of misses the point.

1st.....   Drew made it clear before the game that he "felt terrible."  OR..  whatever word he said.  He didn't want to play.  He basically had to be FORCED to get out there & help his team!  This, & his SITTING OUT month after month with bogus "injuries," lets us all know that he is a SLACKER!!!!  I could care less if he's an introvert or extrovert, it's about character!!!  HE shows NONE!

2nd.....  YES!  He helped us out last night!  We all know he is very capable of helping out in a big way!!!!!   SO..........  Where the hell has he been these past several months????   I don't buy the "injury" excuse!  His finger?  The latest excuse!  He felt "terrible" yesterday????  How many MLB players sit out for WEEKS with a hangnail???

3rd......   I'm glad he's back to help us out down the stretch, in our final hours of need!!!!  BUT!  Will he go back out there, or claim his finger hurts again.  The guys know they can't count on him, & they don't even bother to challenge him on his "injuries," as they know it's not worth it!

SHAME ON DREW!!!!!   He is an embarrassment to his faith.  He talks a lot about his faith, but I see nothing in his career that lets me know that he understands that his faith requires CHARACTER in his JOB!  It takes CHARACTER to honor the contract he signed!  It takes CHARACTER to put his lack of passion for the game aside, & DO HIS JOB to the best of his ability!  OTHERWISE...... He should have quit, & voided his contract.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT........   I hope he will step up & help out this crashing team with all he has left!!!!!  WE could really use him right now!!!!! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Agon didn't show any emotion, either. He gave one little pat with no change in expresssion. Only Pedroia, Papelbon and Ortiz and Salty and Scutaro and a few others showed a brief celebration level of emotion.

It isn't essential that a lot of talent play with a lot of togetherness, but it is quite clear that this is a clubhouse that does not possess a strong team chemistry.

Sports business isn't just about numbers and winning, it is about entertaining stories and team members. This team and management was rightfully booed at season end, as it has not played with great effort and focus on good team sports performance. It has relied on talent and excuses for the poor play in April and September. It has played like a team of overpaid players who lack respect for the paying customer. Pedroia and Oritz are an exception, as they possess a natual love for competition and the good fortune to be able to make a fortune to compete at the top level. Most Red Sox team members approach it as a business job, with the maximum passion, effort and focus only increasing leading up to FA and arbitration conntract years.

I submit that this team was unlikely to go far if it went into the playoffs in the caution and coast mode that failed miserably. The reason is that as talented as this group is, it was no more than a little better than the better AL teams, and no better than the Phillies. But this team and it's management fooloshly believed they could coast and rest up for a date with destiny, and display the talent this team has.

In failure comes a heavy dose of humility. It is most certainly serendipitous that this team and management has been embarrassed, booed and served up a heavy dose of humility before it was too late to recover. And by recover, I don't mean getting into the PS and winning the WS, I mean approaching the game the right way, with focus and passion for the opportunity to compete in each and every game. All the talent in the world doesn't disguise mail it in efforts. Fans who pay all the business bills deserve more than that. They deserve a team and management who shows passion for the competition and respects the paying customer.

This team and management overrated itself, and watching it mired in the 80's win territory and fighting the O's for a playoff spot is the first welcome story that has some quality entertainment value to it. If this team finally gets it, it will be the way I want the story to end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice post, but you confuse "caution and coast" with real injuries...
    and lack of passion with playing behind all the time due to poor pitching.
    Perception of team passion in a game like baseball - from a distant vantage point - is extremely limited.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Injuries are part of the game and that hand was overplayed. Injuries had nothing to do with April, and is simply a poor excuse.

In fact, playing behind also resulted from failing to get on the board early and/or answer and put pressure on opposing pitcher and not adding pressure to starting pitcher. Very dishonest or naive to hide behind injuries and starting pitching excuse. This team was making a factual plethora of mental mistakes that were absent to only a blind eye. Wakefield ceremonial tour was a reflection of misplaced management priorities. A total black hole time investment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you have no arms, can I expect you to function as one would w/o such a disability? Your " excuses" line is born out of your religious politics.
    When key players go down, they go down. It's a fact. Just as it is a fact that the replacements likely won't cut it long-run.

If the pitching is there, then there's greater margin for errors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

He's a tiger out there.  Do you realize he's now played two games, back to back?

Sections
Shortcuts