Another gem by Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Another gem by Beckett

So the Ace is now 5-11 with a 5+ Era , his fastball did top out at 93 MPH but it is August and he should be nice and loose. The pitch he threw Grandy , which Grandy smacked for a double, as was the pitch he threw Jeter in the first, was belt high middle of the plate cutter that didn't cut. Not what you would expect from a guy making $17 mil per year.

In 2010 , Theo offered him his current contract, he wanted more and was holding out. he was already showing he was going down hill, then he gets knocked out in the third inning, gives up 8 runs, about May 8 2010, and signs the next day. GM's need to be more demanding with their offers, Theo should have pulled the offer , he was already pitching like a stiff, and it hasn't gotten any better.

The depressing thing , is not this year, but the next 5 with the huge Crawford deal, and Lackey and Beckett, Lester ( maybe he has found it, one game , is not a big sample. Papi is starting to show his age, he is the big bat , without him , they aren't good and they are already into the Luxury Cap. They need to make some changes, but how and , who is the question.

With the limited money they have left to spend. The only answer is the farm system, but they have always been slow to promote, maybe they have no choice. The fans will tolerate a .500 team if they can see it's on the way up, and it's got youth. Old veterans, on big paychecks, that lose, get little sympathy from the ticket buyers.  They need to fish or cut bait, and make up their mind soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: Another gem by Beckett

I think the bait cutting has already started...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

In Response to Re: Another gem by Beckett:
    [QUOTE]I think the bait cutting has already started...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

Beckett obviously doesn't want to be here so your statement is certainly valid... The Sox need to cut bait on multiple players but unfortunately it should of been done before the season started!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Beckett is preoccupied: when Beckett can get back to being the Beckett of three or more years ago, he will be fine. In my estimation he can be free to go back to the Beckett we liked( except for his slow down delivery) if and only if, he has a sit down talk with a respected member of the media, like Tom Caron, and says to RS Nation, "I'm sorry about the Chicken and Beer incident and all the difficulty it has caused the players and management of the Red Sox and all the unfortunate press it has brought to the organization."

Those, roughly 30 words, would end C & B and Josh could go back to being Josh. Until that is behind hind him and he has made amends--he will be a less than mediocre pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. 

He has lost his concentration---he's in some other world when he's on the mound--he needs to focus--being contrite would be a step in the right direction.

If this idea or some other better idea doesn't work, spend the next 10 days finding a team like the Giants or Dodgers or trade him to a team with one or two bad contracts and be  done with him. If you can't do it now BenC from Oct.1--#1 priority until it's done, move Beckett.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Well if he was Dice K we'd be saying it was a "serviceable start.." maybe we just need an attitude adjustment. :) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Another gem by Beckett:
    [QUOTE]So the Ace is now 5-11 with a 5+ Era , his fastball did top out at 93 MPH but it is August and he should be nice and loose. The pitch he threw Grandy , which Grandy smacked for a double, as was the pitch he threw Jeter in the first, was belt high middle of the plate cutter that didn't cut. Not what you would expect from a guy making $17 mil per year. In 2010 , Theo offered him his current contract, he wanted more and was holding out. he was already showing he was going down hill, then he gets knocked out in the third inning, gives up 8 runs, about May 8 2010, and signs the next day. GM's need to be more demanding with their offers, Theo should have pulled the offer , he was already pitching like a stiff, and it hasn't gotten any better. The depressing thing , is not this year, but the next 5 with the huge Crawford deal, and Lackey and Beckett, Lester ( maybe he has found it, one game , is not a big sample. Papi is starting to show his age, he is the big bat , without him , they aren't good and they are already into the Luxury Cap. They need to make some changes, but how and , who is the question. With the limited money they have left to spend. The only answer is the farm system, but they have always been slow to promote, maybe they have no choice. The fans will tolerate a .500 team if they can see it's on the way up, and it's got youth. Old veterans, on big paychecks, that lose, get little sympathy from the ticket buyers.  They need to fish or cut bait, and make up their mind soon.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]As Dad & BILL-806 would say ....... "SON, thats a  B I N G O "!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett is preoccupied: when Beckett can get back to being the Beckett  "I'm sorry about the Chicken and Beer incident and all the difficulty it has caused the players and management of the Red Sox and all the unfortunate press it has brought to the organization." Those, roughly 30 words, would end C & B and Josh could go back to being Josh. Until that is behind hind him and he has made amends--he will be a less than mediocre pitcher for the Boston Red Sox.  He has lost his concentration---he's in some other world when he's on the mound--he needs to focus--being contrite would be a step in the right direction.

First of all, the whole C & B thing was so big because he had ALREADY lost focus.  2nd, he clearly told the whole world in an interview that he had changed - his mind was on his family.. and baseball was no longer his priority...even on the mound he's thinking about his wife and dgtr and not how to get the next batter out..."so he doesn't particularly feel contrite about the chicken and beer or saying "his off days are his off days.." etc., etc. because he has already spoken from the heart and told everybody as much.

He no longer has the fire in his belly to win games. There is no conditioning coach or pitching coach or manager or anybody else that can change that. I don't think he likes the bashing in the media, or likes losing games, but it is what it is - he's got his big payday banked and for some guys - that one big payday is enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

IMO, it is all focus for Beckett.  The balls that got hit hard, and there were a lot of them, all caught way too much of the plate, and were up in the wheelhouse.  If you look where Kuroda was putting pitches, they were all on the corners.  Becketts were pretty much down the middle.  That is focus.  You hit your spots by focusing on them, and practicing that focus during your throw days.  I don't think Beckett really does that anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Cutties ties w/ Beckett, Crawford and Ortiz would free up $ and help change the culture..........from there we need an Ace and from there we'd be back in contention......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Cutties ties w/ Beckett, Crawford and Ortiz would free up $ and help change the culture..........from there we need an Ace and from there we'd be back in contention......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew, I have been a supporter of Beckett and of Papi....and would have argued with you on the above, but I have to agree that this team needs a change in Culture.....I think Bobby V was an attempt at that, but with Veterans bucking the change he had no chance....Now I have to agree it is time to build that freakin bridge.....and Beckett and Ortiz should probably not be on the other side. Since we will get nothing for CC, I would keep him and hope the new culture brings back the guy who was in TB. I think we need to consider Ben C's departure also....since he is a link to the old regime. I will never kill Theo because of the 2 titles, but what worked then is not going to work here again, so lets deicde who the core is and start builindg around them. I would rather go throug all next year with a young team on the rise with no chance at the playoffs than another year like this riding on the cusp looking in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't think it's psychological, other than the inevitable depression when any MLB pitcher is getting whacked. 

I do think his problem is throwing good breaking balls, especially the curve and the changeup.  I have seen him throw both pitches well, but these days not very much. 
    Consequently, hitters can sit on his 91 mph fastball and 89mph cutter. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

he used to get away with mistakes over the middle of the plate most of the time because he threw 95-97, now he throws 92 and those mistakes get launched, thats the bottome line, he never had Maddux like control and now that the velocity is down we see the results

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Meh.  Two of those runs were HRs by the same player, same pitch, same result.

Sox offense is more of a culprit than Beckett's pitching.  He pitched below his era yesterday and got nothing for support. 

One run won't beat any team in this league.

Sections
Shortcuts