Another nice outing for Miller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Another nice outing for Miller

I think we may have found Dice K's replacement.

Good game!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Another nice outing for Miller

In Response to Another nice outing for Miller:
    [QUOTE]I think we may have found Dice K's replacement. Good game!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Egads, you are indeed capable of saying something that is positive after all. It is however typcal of you to do so in the context of bashing Dice-K. It must be tough being a loyal fan for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Another nice outing for Miller:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Another nice outing for Miller : Egads, you are indeed capable of saying something that is positive after all. It is however typcal of you to do so in the context of bashing Dice-K. It must be tough being a loyal fan for you.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you are coming from Echo but I don't really bash anyone and give a lot of praise to posters and our players who do well.  If you mean my thread on the RF situation, thats just a realistic and honest opinion of our current situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Certainly a promising outing from what I've read (I've had mlb.tv issues all weekend and they decided to black me out from the games, even though I should only be blacked out from NYY and NYM games).  There is still one huge question remaining, which is how well will he do against a good team.  The way he's been handled at this point mirrors Strasburg last year.  Granted the Pirates are much better this year than last, but Miller is clearly being eased into the MLB rotation.  Nothing wrong with that and certainly not comparing him to Strasburg, but I'm curious to see how he does against AL teams., never mind the AL East.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

. Good game!  Posted by craze4sox

from what i saw

even better than the last start

seemed like he was 02 on everyone

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Certainly a promising outing from what I've read (I've had mlb.tv issues all weekend and they decided to black me out from the games, even though I should only be blacked out from NYY and NYM games).  There is still one huge question remaining, which is how well will he do against a good team.  The way he's been handled at this point mirrors Strasburg last year.  Granted the Pirates are much better this year than last, but Miller is clearly being eased into the MLB rotation.  Nothing wrong with that and certainly not comparing him to Strasburg, but I'm curious to see how he does against AL teams., never mind the AL East.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Good point JB, I like Millers confidence and poise.  Having two very good pitches never hurts either and he seemed to have better control today  I think Jason should catch Miller in his first couple of outings against the stronger teams even though Salty did well today.

Tek knows the hitters better which Miller needs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

These pitchers coming out of the Carolinas can throw.  And unlike MLB players they can go a long way.  I watched SC play VA in the college world series and both "closers" went 5 innings without giving up a run until an error resulted in a runner crossing the plate.  5 freaking innings!  Yes 5 innings and they were hitting 95-97 on the gun!  Lol. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Dice K belongs on Whale Wars firing a harpoon (low and outside) while the crew of the Bob Barker sigh with relief that he missed the whale.  He has Pearl Harbored us time and time again and the Sox should cut him loose and send him back to Japan. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

It's starting to look like Miller is finally finding his control after all these years. He's always had the stuff, it's just been controlling it, and putting the ball where he wants it.

His option to opt out might have had some influence with the sox decision to bring him up now, but the timely has been perfect, with the sox needing another solid starter.

I'm not ready to anoint him yet, but his first two starts have been very encouraging.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

If he throws strikes and continues to gain confidence the sky is the limit with his stuff.Maybe in 7-8 years we talk about this being one Theo's best moves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He's throwing strikes because he's cutting down on his velocity for better command.
    He's finally learning how to pitch.

The real test comes against better competition - and against teams who have already seen him once.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]He's throwing strikes because he's cutting down on his velocity for better command. He's finally learning how to pitch. The real test comes against better competition - and against teams who have already seen him once.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True, I think Tek may be the best guy to help him through the first couple outings against the better teams.  I did notice he wasn't over-throwing today, most of his pitches topped out around 96 or so.

Good potential though!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He was throwing 93 in his first outing - a far cry from the reported 97-98.
    But UR right: Over-throwing has been his downfall. If he finds repetition of delivery at lower speeds, he can amp it up periodically, which gives him more margin for error, and increases the likelihood of potential.

Rare to see two lefties in Boston's SR. Reminds me of the Hurst/Ojeda days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]He was throwing 93 in his first outing - a far cry from the reported 97-98. But UR right: Over-throwing has been his downfall. If he finds repetition of delivery at lower speeds, he can amp it up periodically, which gives him more margin for error, and increases the likelihood of potential. Rare to see two lefties in Boston's SR. Reminds me of the Hurst/Ojeda days.

harness, a couple months ago I was concerned as to whether or not Dice, Lackey and even Beck would have a decent year.  Josh and Miller seem to be on the right track and Wake has even helped, hopefully Lackey can find his way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mechrisuk. Show mechrisuk's posts

[QUOTE]He's throwing strikes because he's cutting down on his velocity for better command. He's finally learning how to pitch. The real test comes against better competition - and against teams who have already seen him once.

I can't remember where I read this (maybe some of the other posters might have seen it), anyways I read that Miller consistently throwing 95-98 mph was a bit of a erroneous report.  He can certainly get it up there but his naturally speed is and always has been what we've been seeing.  Not really a big deal. 

Players like this always freak me out a little, for me personally it's going to take a rather large sample size before I get too excited.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i agree in that miller has not yet totally convinced me that he is a top of the rotation type guy, but i did very much like his improvement today from his first game last week.

he was much more relaxed and looked much more comfortable.  he had much better command, lasted longer in the game (and could have gone at least one inning further if not having to be pinch hit for) and picked up a well deserved  win today.

i certainly hope that he continues to get better and better as this season progresses.  with lackey struggling so much the sox need another starter who can be reliable every fifth day.  it would be nice for miller to be this guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Glad to see Miller had a good game today. I was really excited when Hill came up as a reliever and was doing really well, and then disappointed when that didn't pan out. I hope Miller keeps it up. His close friendship with Bard will be good for him to get comfortable going forward. And if this does pan out, he's going to be awesome for the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

A couple of thoughts:

It's important for a pitcher to field his position adequately. Miller doesn't come off the mound well after delivering a pitch. His size works against him here. He looks to have a really poor move to first base, which will make him easy to run on.

On the possible upside, his change acts like a cutter, but adding a true cutter to his arsenal could be huge, And I gotta believe Lester will be instrumental in this regard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another nice outing for Miller : harness, a couple months ago I was concerned as to whether or not Dice, Lackey and even Beck would have a decent year.  Josh and Miller seem to be on the right track and Wake has even helped, hopefully Lackey can find his way.

I think Lonborg's thoughts on Lackey the other day were enlightening.  Jim gave greater weight to Lackey's wife's cancer playing on one's mind than many.  I know it has been mentioned but few give it a lot of bearing.

I hope things go well for them both as well as Lackey finding his stride.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I think he's been a better replacement for Wastefield for quite some time.

Lester
    Beckett
    Buch
    Miller
    Slackey

Aceves
    Doubrant

Wally

Wastefield

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wakefield is the best choice as the sixth starter. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]A couple of thoughts: It's important for a pitcher to field his position adequately. Miller doesn't come off the mound well after delivering a pitch. His size works against him here. He looks to have a really poor move to first base, which will make him easy to run on. On the possible upside, his change acts like a cutter, but adding a true cutter to his arsenal could be huge, And I gotta believe Lester will be instrumental in this regard.

It would be much worse if he was a RHP with that move to 1B but it is pretty slow.  He came off the mound really well yesterday to cover 1B after being hit in the foot which shows good focus and quick instincts for the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AGAIN,  IN THEO I TRUST !!!   GREAT PICKUP BY THEO.....   MILLER LOOKS LIKE A REAL PITCHER !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

[QUOTE]I think he's been a better replacement for Wastefield for quite some time. Lester Beckett Buch Miller Slackey Aceves Doubrant Wally Wastefield
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Wakefield is better than Lackey, Miller is an uprade over Dice-K.

Rotation should look like this: Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Miller. Wakefield.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts