ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!!

I DID NOT SEE THE ENTIRE GAME.... DID SEE ENOUGH THAT IT WAS, "LET ME BE CLEAR", EVIDENT THAT JON LESTER WAS NOT SHARP. FAST FORWARD TO FALLING A SLEEP, SO HOW DOES LESTER THROW 127 PITCHES ??  I KNOW THE "FLAIR" KILLED HIM, BUT LESTER WAS "PURE VANILA" FROM THE GET-GO !!!  WHAT SAY YOU ????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!!

In Response to ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!!:
        I DID NOT SEE THE ENTIRE GAME.... DID SEE ENOUGH THAT IT WAS, "LET ME BE CLEAR", EVIDENT THAT JON LESTER WAS NOT SHARP. FAST FORWARD TO FALLING A SLEEP, SO HOW DOES LESTER THROW 127 PITCHES ??  I KNOW THE "FLAIR" KILLED HIM, BUT LESTER WAS "PURE VANILA" FROM THE GET-GO !!!  WHAT SAY YOU ????
    Posted by Bill-806

I believe Francona was trying to get Lester to finish the 6th inning, as there were 2 outs and bases loaded...I understand that he was Vanilla last night but he is the ACE of the staff and oftentimes gets himself out of these type of jams unscaithed. Plus bringing in Wheeler to face Ramirez might have had a better result, but it was also Wheeler who gave up a single to Quentin for the additional 2 runs (charged to Lester).

However, I understand where the second guessers have a field day with this stuff...if Francona pulls Lester and his replacement gives up the runs, then he gets criticized for pulling him...and if he leaves him in and gives up a bloop single that couldn't have been placed on the field by the batter any better, he is criticized for leaving him in...and thus HERE WE ARE!

It was still a game for Lester to wn and it was his game to lose too as it turns out!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from midnight. Show midnight's posts

Let's see, Double Header the night before, 2 more games before an off day, had to call up Bowden to be in the pen, not yet sure if you can pull Jenks back into the bullpen and have him be effective.   People seem to have a game by game mentality, Francona has to look at the season and figure out a path through the entire season that has his team not only winning enough to get to the post season but still having enough gas when they get there to be effective during the post season.  

And then you have Lester, who you are going to give every chance to get his feel because you need him to not just win 1 game but to win 18 or 19 if not 20 or 21. 

But keep judging one game at a time rather than looking at the collective season.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning Bill and S-Dog and Midnight...i watched the replay of Ramirez's flair to RF and as he rounded the bag, one of the announcers(not sure which one) said something to the effect of and again Francona leaves a pitcher in one hit, one batter too long...maybe you guys would be a better judge on whether or not that was so..i can't speak to the batters preceeding Ramirez, but it looked like a pretty good pitch to me..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!!:
    Morning Bill and S-Dog and Midnight...i watched the replay of Ramirez's flair to RF and as he rounded the bag, one of the announcers(not sure which one) said something to the effect of and again Francona leaves a pitcher in one hit, one batter too long...maybe you guys would be a better judge on whether or not that was so..i can't speak to the batters preceeding Ramirez, but it looked like a pretty good pitch to me..
    Posted by jete02fan

The pitch was a curveball that ended up middle middle. Ramireez still didn't hit it well. Dropped in. Baseball.

Lester gets that out a good 7 or 8 times out of 10. Short of having Bard ready for that spot (relief ace, anyone?) who's going to do better?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!! : The pitch was a curveball that ended up middle middle. Ramireez still didn't hit it well. Dropped in. Baseball. Lester gets that out a good 7 or 8 times out of 10. Short of having Bard ready for that spot (relief ace, anyone?) who's going to do better?
    Posted by Bert0529
    Morning Berto, yeah, he definitely slashed at it, on contact it looked like it might slice foul, wound up just hard enough to elude AG...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!! : I believe Francona was trying to get Lester to finish the 6th inning, as there were 2 outs and bases loaded...I understand that he was Vanilla last night but he is the ACE of the staff and oftentimes gets himself out of these type of jams unscaithed. Plus bringing in Wheeler to face Ramirez might have had a better result, but it was also Wheeler who gave up a single to Quentin for the additional 2 runs (charged to Lester). However, I understand where the second guessers have a field day with this stuff...if Francona pulls Lester and his replacement gives up the runs, then he gets criticized for pulling him...and if he leaves him in and gives up a bloop single that couldn't have been placed on the field by the batter any better, he is criticized for leaving him in...and thus HERE WE ARE! It was still a game for Lester to wn and it was his game to lose too as it turns out!
    Posted by Soxdog67

If Lester had retired the last 12 batters in a row and struck out the last 3, and Francona replaced him, then yes I would have been upset,and blamed Francona for poor managing. Lester didn't pitch well last night, he didn't lose it in the 6th, he struggled for most of the game. To allow him to load the bases and the allow him to pitch to another batter was pure managerial incompetence. Francona has been a negative factor in 3 of the last 4 losses. It's how he's managed for 7 plus years, nothing has changed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Posted by jete02fan

Your right! There was great location on that pitch. The guy was jammed and lifts a lollipop into no-man's land. Sh*te happens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!! : If Lester had retired the last 12 batters in a row and struck out the last 3, and Francona replaced him, then yes I would have been upset,and blamed Francona for poor managing. Lester didn't pitch well last night, he didn't lose it in the 6th, he struggled for most of the game. To allow him to load the bases and the allow him to pitch to another batter was pure managerial incompetence. Francona has been a negative factor in 3 of the last 4 losses. It's how he's managed for 7 plus years, nothing has changed.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

You apparently were unaware that:  1) Lester already had two men out, which would influence any manager to keep him in; 2) the single to right was not a hard hit ball, but a fluke hit; 3) Lester's relief, Wheeler, gave up an immediate and hard hit single, which suggests he was not going to solve the problem if he came in earlier.  

You have almost no credibility on this board because you insist that Francona absolutely must leave a pitcher in or absolutely must take him out--based only on 20-20 hindsight.   And you always insist that whatever Francona did wasn't just wrong but grossly stupid.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight. I watched the game and I know Lester already had 2 men out. I also know that Lester struggled durung the whole game, and had loaded the bases. He had thrown a lot of pitches. The game was tied and Francona wanted him to finish the inning so that if the Sox scored a go ahead run in the bottom of the inning, Lester could qualify for the win. He put Lester's opportunity ahead of the team getting a win.  I didn't use the word stupid, I said he was incompetent, which is an absolute truth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight. I watched the game and I know Lester already had 2 men out. I also know that Lester struggled durung the whole game, and had loaded the bases. He had thrown a lot of pitches. The game was tied and Francona wanted him to finish the inning so that if the Sox scored a go ahead run in the bottom of the inning, Lester could qualify for the win. He put Lester's opportunity ahead of the team getting a win.  I didn't use the word stupid, I said he was incompetent, which is an absolute truth.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

He put Lester's ability to get the hitter out ahead of Wheeler's or Bowden's.  Francona mentioned after the game that Ramirez was 1 for 10 lifetime against Lester. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ONE GETS AWAY!!!!! : He put Lester's ability to get the hitter out ahead of Wheeler's or Bowden's.  Francona mentioned after the game that Ramirez was 1 for 10 lifetime against Lester. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

1 for 10 against an effective Lester. Lester was not an effective pitcher last night. Now, if Lester is effective in his next start, will Francona remove him with a low pitch count due to the 330 pitch rule they have??? Utter nonsense.
    Wouldn't it seem logical to enforce the pitch count rule when a pitcher is struggling? Or does it make more sense, to you, that an effective starter could be removed when he's pitching well??
    By the way, did you notice Ozzie doing cartwheels when he realized that Francona was leaving Lester in the game?? I'm not positive, but I think Ozzie uttered, "finally the Francona factor".

Sections
Shortcuts