Another Opinion on Francona's Book

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Another Opinion on Francona's Book

Why am I completely unsurprised that rather than offer your own opinion, you link to some writer's take on the book? Yawn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It is an interesting Pikenomenon though, you must admit:  You will write lengthy, well-researched, and detailed exposes of trolls, troll-enablers and other supposed board sulliers.

But, when it comes to baseball, you by-and-large limit your input to posting a link.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

It is an interesting Pikenomenon though, you must admit:  You will write lengthy, well-researched, and detailed exposes of trolls, troll-enablers and other supposed board sulliers.

But, when it comes to baseball, you by-and-large limit your input to posting a link.

which is why i cant wait for the ignore button back.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"My opinion after I read the book might be for Francona on half the issues and for the FO on the rest. "

Hmm...if you do bother to post a review I have no doubt you will side with the front office on just about every issue as you almost always do when you bother to talk about baseball here. While I am on that subject, say hi to "FenwayJimmy" for me lol...

I have yet to read the book so I can't offer a lot of opinion on it but having listened to interviews and read reviews I get the sense that the book is better written and researched than the usual flog but that it still obviously contains the bias of someone who feels betrayed by the current regime and who also has a vested interest in not throwing players under the bus as he is still pursuing a mangerial career. Some disagreements Epstein has voiced about the anecdotes in the book raise more questions as well. 

That said, the information about the blurring of the lines between marketing and baseball, the participation of baseball people in marketing meetings, and the potential that some of the failed big name signings were as much about box office as baseball fit, if not more, do raise the eyebrows quite a bit and seem to confirm suspicisions that this franchise had become torn between catering to fans and focusing on building a winner in a long term view that can mean short term hits. However since then I think the franchise has shifted focus again, both in good and potentially bad ways (it's not clear whether the team is being positioned to sell for example), I think the book is not completely relevant anymore and may end up best being seen as a historical document about some amazing moments and then a fall from grace of sorts.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

a BIG +1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I wish Washington had the same security level that the Red Sox have, and all of MLB for that matter.

No juicy gossip ever seems to be leaked. Players must have to sign a non-disclosure agreement in their contracts as well as management individuals. I'm sure Francona's bood doesn't reveal half the stuff that goes on behind closed doors.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to selenium's comment:

Francona said on the Felger - Mazz show several days ago that he doesn't think the leaks that fed into that Hohler story about chicken and beer came from the front office.

pike, I thought you were going to stick to one screen name??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

It wasn't me. Another witch hunt, right J-Bay?

just trying to keep you honest, pike. You sure were quick to answer though..:))

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I started this thread to be informative and look at all of the insults and crap on it. Can't any thread be without all of the nasty insults that are not warranted or justified. Isn't a poster allowed to post a new thread with only a link without being bashed for it? Many of you come here for personal insults and conflict. Why not discuss what the link was about.

Still waiting for you to do that...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

What you did was to scare that poster away. It is no wonder that the forum has stayed at 50 regulars for three years. Your fraternity is tough. Do you have a secret handshake?

pike put him on the self, with the others. He'll blow the dust off him and return

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Speaking of concurrent aliases, How about  Zac blowing the dust off of pinstripezac32 and 33 recently. HellowitsMeAgain just got banned and came back in as HelloitsMeAgain-. Triumph came back as Triumph-. The preceding and following hyphens are an old Babe trick. Of course Zac and Babe can do no wrong in J-Bay's eyes since they belong to his fraternity. Kim once again is right.  Communist Contrarian is back under another name, why not talk about that? Softlaw1 just returned as Softlaw2. Last week it was Softlawes, prior to that it was Ocooe, HankWilliamdJr, LessPaul, and Law. Those clowns don't bother J-Bay and his fraternity. What we have here is the fox guarding the chicken coop. 

Baseball pike?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Speaking of concurrent aliases, How about  Zac blowing the dust off of pinstripezac32 and 33 recently. HellowitsMeAgain just got banned and came back in as HelloitsMeAgain-. Triumph came back as Triumph-. The preceding and following hyphens are an old Babe trick. Of course Zac and Babe can do no wrong in J-Bay's eyes since they belong to his fraternity. Kim once again is right.  Communist Contrarian is back under another name, why not talk about that? Softlaw1 just returned as Softlaw2. Last week it was Softlawes, prior to that it was Ocooe, HankWilliamdJr, LessPaul, and Law. Those clowns don't bother J-Bay and his fraternity. What we have here is the fox guarding the chicken coop. 

The next time, will her first. Being banned, and coming back aren't multiple screen names pike, which you said you wouldn't do, remember? Once Dottie posted BDC decided against IP banning, you were off to the nurses station

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I started this thread to be informative and look at all of the insults and crap on it. Can't any thread be without all of the nasty insults that are not warranted or justified. Isn't a poster allowed to post a new thread with only a link without being bashed for it? Many of you come here for personal insults and conflict. Why not discuss what the link was about.

Still waiting for you to do that...

I told you why. I'm only 20 pages into the book.

Don't let us keep you

Sections
Shortcuts