Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy!

Pedro still has at least 1 year of pre-arb before the arb years kick in. That's 4+ years of team control vs 6 weeks of a back-up catcher.

No matter how hard softy tries to twist the facts, BV was never going to play Shoppach more than maybe 30% tops the rest of the year, so in a sense, we traded about 12 games of Shoppach (at most since Lava will get some time) for 4+ years of a decent prospect. Maybe Beato will never help us in any way, but he may end up being a future trade chip to be packaged with others for a better player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy!:
    [QUOTE]How is it nobody ever mentions Theo trading future NL batting champ Freddy Sanchez for Jeff Supan? Sanchez hit .344 to win it at Pittsburgh, and is a .297 lifetime hitter. Solid defender, and 3 time All Star. Had to be one of the most lopsided trades ever.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

If I recall , at the time Freddy Sanchez was moved the Red Sox and most of the Major League scouts projected him as a bench player, not a starter.
    The Red Sox needed a starting pitcher badly at the time. Suppan was considered a player that most playoff teams would gamble on as a rental player for the stretch run. An experienced veteran, Suppan lokked to be a positive addition.

Unfortunately it didn't work out. Suppan pitched sort of average, Sanchez became a better player than he was projected to be.

Just proves that GMs can make what appears to be the right move, but it may not work out right. I think if he had to do it again, he still makes that trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Pedro still has at least 1 year of pre-arb before the arb years kick in. That's 4+ years of team control vs 6 weeks of a back-up catcher. No matter how hard softy tries to twist the facts, BV was never going to play Shoppach more than maybe 30% tops the rest of the year, so in a sense, we traded about 12 games of Shoppach (at most since Lava will get some time) for 4+ years of a decent prospect. Maybe Beato will never help us in any way, but he may end up being a future trade chip to be packaged with others for a better player.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Excellent points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

U mean shop patch, he of the 1,2,3, strikeouts /game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox were 26-16 when Shoppach started. He's a catcher who had good enough numbers to split-time at the position. Salty has always been horrible as a catcher, and still is! The Red Sox should have extended Shoppach to a cheap low single digit one year contract with a team option and player buyout, to have a capable starter/split-time profile. The sell high windown on Salty has closed, which is part of the InEpstein DNA. If Cherry could only get used recapped tires for Shoppach, the Red Sox should have optioned Salty to AAA, if they weren't willing to trade him or wait until roster expansion to bring up Lavarnway.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

I think the sox werent optimistic about their chances of retaining Shoppach.  I agree that he's a solid backup C (minus the unconfirmed gripes about PT, assuming theyre true)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]How is it nobody ever mentions Theo trading future NL batting champ Freddy Sanchez for Jeff Supan? Sanchez hit .344 to win it at Pittsburgh, and is a .297 lifetime hitter. Solid defender, and 3 time All Star. Had to be one of the most lopsided trades ever.

Everybody is too busy complaining about how we got robbed trading Masterson for 1.5 yrs of VMART (a trade which was obviously lopsided in our favor)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox reportedly released Mark Prior to make room for Pedro Beato:

https://twitter.com/BWMcGair03/status/236551570962124800

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : I think the sox werent optimistic about their chances of retaining Shoppach.  I agree that he's a solid backup C (minus the unconfirmed gripes about PT, assuming theyre true)
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

If we deal Salty this winter, we can sign Shoppach this winter. He should get more playing time as Lava's back-up, especially if Papi walks and Lava DHs vs LHPs and several righties.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And Freddie won a World Series........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : And Freddie won a World Series........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I named my uncle's cat freddie sanchez.  Dont know why thats relevant but wanted to share.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't remember any Sox fans lamenting the loss of Freddie the day he was traded.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gruv1145. Show gruv1145's posts

Minor league moves are the only ones Larry allows his minion to make.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Theo created this mess for BC. There isn't much he can do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thats not true there was talk of Shoppach being traded before the deadline in July. I would not thinkmthe rat was him. Remeber he was not with us last year people. to "Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : Red Sox management reportedly is concerned about leaks to the media. The Sox traded Kelly Shoppach the day Jeff Passan filed his report. The timing raises questions and I have no definitive answers. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Thats not true there was talk of Shoppach being traded before the deadline in July. I would not thinkmthe rat was him. Remeber he was not with us last year people. to "Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy!":
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]
    Kelly Shoppach of course was the subject of trade rumors before the deadline, but most speculated a return better than a Pedro Beato.

Jeff Passan story focused on the reported team meeting before the July deadline. A source will sometimes give the media information about an institution on the condition that the information won't be published until after the source leaves that institution.

I have no information that Kelly Shoppach leaked the story of the July team meeting, but the timing of Shoppach's trade seems suspicious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think they had planned on trading Shoppach at the deadline and bring Lava up as the back-up catcher. However, but when it appeared that Papi was not soon to  return from the DL, they decided to keep Shoppach in case Lava was needed at DH. Ben tought we were still in it on July 31st. By the time he traded Shoppach, that belief might have changed. (We've gone 5-10 since the deadline.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : Kelly Shoppach of course was the subject of trade rumors before the deadline, but most speculated a return better than a Pedro Beato. Jeff Passan story focused on the reported team meeting before the July deadline. A source will sometimes give the media information about an institution on the condition that the information won't be published until after the source leaves that institution. I have no information that Kelly Shoppach leaked the story of the July team meeting, but the timing of Shoppach's trade seems suspicious.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the same thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : Everybody is too busy complaining about how we got robbed trading Masterson for 1.5 yrs of VMART (a trade which was obviously lopsided in our favor)
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

28-40 with a 4.15 and a 1.403 Whip.  Not bad, but I'd rather have an AS catcher for 1.5 years, along with the two draft picks obtained when they let him go.  Even without getting VMart, I wouldn't trade Barnes and Owens for Masterson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : Exactly.  We got Beato for 6 weeks of Shoppach.  What's to complain about?
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Some of these people just know nothing about BB.  What did the OP really think we were going to get for a backup catcher that wasn't going to be on the team next year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

One better Mark Prior was released. Just a chip off of the old block (Theo), another high upside guy who did not pan out. Another great pickup Ben. This team is dead if its depending on Ben to straighten out this team next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:

"• More on the justification of trading Pedro Beato for Kelly Shoppach:

On the acquiring end, the Mets deemed it valuable to have the free-agent-to-be Shoppach in-house for the final seven weeks of the season to gauge how good a match he is for them in terms of rapport with pitchers and adaptability to Mets philosophies. As for Beato, he had fallen into disfavor and was not long for the 40-man roster anyway.

A member of the organization described Beato's stuff as maddening. Sometimes the fastballs would come in at 96 mph; other outings they'd be 89 mph.

While most likely it will end up being Shoppach, the expectation is the Mets will pair a low-cost righty-hitting catcher such as him with Josh Thole in 2013. That way the available dollars can be focused on other positions of need. Thole should qualify for arbitration for the first time this offseason, despite less than three full years of major league service time, but his salary nonetheless will be modest.

Beato, incidentally, could face Buffalo this weekend with Triple-A Pawtucket."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/54742/mets-expecting-kirk-to-return-to-majors-in-september

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

The Sox had Mark Prior? I think for fun they should have called him up just to see if he could throw a better start than Beckett.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox were 26-16 when Shoppach started. He's a catcher who had good enough numbers to split-time at the position. Salty has always been horrible as a catcher, and still is! The Red Sox should have extended Shoppach to a cheap low single digit one year contract with a team option and player buyout, to have a capable starter/split-time profile. The sell high windown on Salty has closed, which is part of the InEpstein DNA. If Cherry could only get used recapped tires for Shoppach, the Red Sox should have optioned Salty to AAA, if they weren't willing to trade him or wait until roster expansion to bring up Lavarnway.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Shoppach was a better catcher than Salty will ever be and was liked by the pitchers who did better with Shoppach catching them. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another stellar trade by the Blunder Boy! : I've been thinking the same thing.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    I did think this too

Sections
Shortcuts