Another Yankee pitching bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

Another Yankee pitching bust?

Hi guys!  Baseball's back and that means I am too.  You can't not keep a good man down.

I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, Michael Pineda, came to camp overweight and was only hitting 89 mph in his first start.  Sounds like the Yankees may have another Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, etc on their hands.  Instead of costing them money this time, it cost them a potential future hall of famer in Jesus Monervo.  We'll see what happens, but this could be another one of cashman's blunders.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?

Thanks '04, it's good to be back with all my friends.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    Thanks '04, it's good to be back with all my friends.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

Welcome back. Where have you been?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Welcome back. Where have you been?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

My previos screen name get banned and then I figure i just take it easy in the off season and gear up for baseball season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : My previos screen name get banned and then I figure i just take it easy in the off season and gear up for baseball season.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

Ought to be some interesting salutations as a result of your return to the forum.Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Beni-boy, good to see you pal..one thing though..getting him in trade doesn't make him a Yank's phenom...also it's highly unlikely we'll be discussing Montero for HOF...that said good to see you back...Zac really, really missed you...Wink..Edit..were you following what was going on with the Sox while you were gone?.. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

hey Beni-boy, good to see you pal..one thing though..getting him in trade doesn't make him a Yank's phenom...also it's highly unlikely we'll be discussing Montero for HOF...that said good to see you back...Zac really, really missed you... ..Edit..were you following what was going on with the Sox while you were gone?.. 
    Posted by jete02fan

Hey, my good friend Jete!  Of course I was following the sox.  I think what happened in September was an abberrition and they will be back stronger then ever this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    Hi guys!  Baseball's back and that means I am too.  You can't not keep a good man down. I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, Michael Pineda, came to camp overweight and was only hitting 89 mph in his first start.  Sounds like the Yankees may have another Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, etc on their hands.  Instead of costing them money this time, it cost them a potential future hall of famer in Jesus Monervo.  We'll see what happens, but this could be another one of cashman's blunders.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

A FanGraphs piece on Michael Pineda and his velocity:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/michael-pinedas-reduced-velocity/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm sure that he didnt suddenly lose 6 MPH off his fastball.  He probably just wants to preserve his young arm, as its a long season.  Its also possible that he was working on his secondary pitches.

In any case, he's not competing for a job in the rotation, so his decreased velocity really doesnt mean much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I sure hope that's really you, Your friend chain. Maybe the mariners pulled one over the yanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

I'm sure that he didnt suddenly lose 6 MPH off his fastball.  He probably just wants to preserve his young arm, as its a long season.  Its also possible that he was working on his secondary pitches. In any case, he's not competing for a job in the rotation, so his decreased velocity really doesnt mean much.
    Posted by Drewski5

Drewski my friend, last year we heard that Phi Hughes decreased velocity was nothing to worry about and look what happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

I sure hope that's really you, Your friend chain. Maybe the mariners pulled one over the yanks.
    Posted by bald-predictions

BP, good to see you my friend.  You always speak the truth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Happy spring training Smiley.  Welcome back.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

Welcome back Beni. Forum members who despised Beni last time should take notice that the thread title ends with a question mark  and he uses the word "may" and "could be" and "we'll see" in his OP. He wrote in the same manner last time but the thin-skinned Yankee squatters in the forum didn't like him.   Then one day J-Bay who is the backroom / under-the-table leader of the Yankee contingent in the forum wrote up a list of a dozen posters that the Yankee group didn't like and emailed it to Dottie the moderator. The next day there were a dozen fewer posters including Beni and yet Babe and Yazzer remained who were obvious trolls. Watch your step Beni, big brother J-Bay is watching you. A word to the wise should be sufficient.
    Posted by lowelll

Thank you for your support Lowell, that exactly what happened.  No one should have a problem with my objectivity.  I tell it like it is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Pineda vs History

The injury nexus is a line in the sand for pitcher health. Research put together by Nate Silver and myself in 2003 showed that pitchers that went over 190 innings while under the age of 24 simply didn’t hold together in the long term. 

Yankees, a team that simply has a poor record of getting young pitchers into their rotation and keeping them healthy. Along with Ivan Nova (24 last season), the 23-year-old Pineda is fighting history and probability as much as he will be the hitters of the AL East. How bad is it? The research, put together for me by Dan Wade, is damnin.  Joe Girardi, the Yankees have brought five pitchers under the age of 25 up to the majors, getting them nine or more starts. Of those, only two are healthy - and really, it’s too early to know the longer term consequences of last season’s workload on Nova. Joba Chamberlain is coming back from Tommy John surgery while Phil Hughes has had an up-and-down Yankee career, in large part due to injuries.

Girardi with the Marlins, things look even worse. There were another five qualifying pitchers brought up to the Marlins while Girardi was there and all five suffered some pitching injury afterwards. Josh Johnson is coming back from elbow and shoulder surgeries. Scott Olson and Ricky Nolasco have had varying degrees of success mixed with injuries. Anibal Sanchez has been effective on the few occasions he’s been healthy (and to be fair, was injured before, during, and after Girardi’s tenure.) Perhaps the only pitcher to come away without a new scar was Dontrelle Willis. It would be a bit of a stretch to blame his decline on Girardi given his previous success and workload, but it’s hardly a positive either.

Rothschild’s previous job was as pitching coach for the Chicago Cubs under Dusty Baker and Lou Piniella. Do I need to do more than say “Mark Prior” to paint this picture for you? The list speaks for itself: Prior, Carlos Zambrano, Sean Marshall, Sergio Mitre, Kerry Wood, Carlos Marmol, Angel Guzman, Sean Gallagher, Juan Mateo, and Jerome Williams. Again, if we remove Kerry Wood from the list, we’re left with only two pitchers of nine that stayed healthy after being used young under Rothschild.

Rays: David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, James Shields, and Matt Garza through the injury nexus without significant injuries. They’re not perfect — hi, Scott Kazmir — but they’re close,

The NYY could invest in a biomechanical program the way that the Red Sox have.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Thank you for your support Lowell, that exactly what happened.  No one should have a problem with my objectivity.  I tell it like it is.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

LOL, I kid you not. My post got deleted. I had to be done by either J-Bay or he called or messaged Dottie. Thankfully it is still included in your response.
    The truth prevails.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nice try pike. you deleted it. you had two posts under this discussion. it's still listed under lowells my latest discusion to the right on your profile page dated today.. when BDC deletes a post, it also deletes date and discussion activity. when a poster deletes his own, it just is deleted under All recent activity. The truth prevails. Take your meds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Nice try pike. you deleted it. you had two posts under this discussion. it's still listed under lowells my latest discusion to the right on your profile page dated today.. when BDC deletes a post, it also deletes date and discussion activity. when a poster deletes his own, it just is deleted under All recent discussion. Take your meds.
    Posted by J-BAY

I DID NOT DELETE MY POSTS FROM THIS THREAD and they are also missing from my history on my profile page. Neither are my above posts in my recent discussions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Drewski my friend, last year we heard that Phi Hughes decreased velocity was nothing to worry about and look what happened.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

Touche.  I'm also particularly suprised that he came to camp out of shape.  If I was Pineda, I would keep myself in tip-top form and do everything in my control to repeat last year's success.  Try to set myself up for a 100 million dollar free agent contract!

If he's coming into camp out of shape already....what's going to happen after he gets paid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm sure that he didnt suddenly lose 6 MPH off his fastball.  He probably just wants to preserve his young arm, as its a long season.  Its also possible that he was working on his secondary pitches. In any case, he's not competing for a job in the rotation, so his decreased velocity really doesnt mean much.
    Posted by Drewski5

Exactly, it's early March his 1st outing of the year, he was working on his change-up, the velocity will be there when it counts.

Btw Hughes was hitting 91-93 in his first outing.

If the yankees did make a mistake it won't be with Pineda, the guy that I have my eye on is former Yankee Mark Melancon, I think he'll have a good season I don't think the Yankees gave him a good opportunity to succeed in their system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

no its still there pike you had two, now three posts under latest discussions  "another yankee pitching bust".  If you're going to be the chief of posting police, you should at least be aware of how it works. you had three, now two posts on all activity under this discussion. When a poster deletes their own post, it is removed but is still listed under latest activity. three are still listed as posts that were made to this discussion. Two to all activity because you deleted it. got it now??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Very interesting article.

Pitcher's don't just lose 6 mph off of anything unless there is a problem. 'Dead arm', that criptic, non-medical excuse is the only thing that tends to be short term. Anything else is a serious problem. Hughes, I believe, lost his over the course of spring, Pineda showed up with it missing. Where would a 'dead arm' come from? With Hughes it was believable because he had pitched all spring, what possible, logical explanation can Pineda have? He got fat and it's messed up his mechanics. Look for shoulder issues to follow as he tries to compensate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

"Time to panic? No, not really. As the 2011 season wore on, Pineda decided that it wasn’t in his best interests to come out firing at full velocity from the first pitch. He wanted to be more efficient early in games, so rather than coming out and throwing 97 and striking everyone out, he decided to ease off the fastball in the first inning or two and try to get some quick outs on the ground." - fangraphs article

So, he took what he was extremely successful with...and decided to try something different? Ummmm, ok. Maybe. Or was he just trying to explain away his struggles? I'm leaning towards the latter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    Hi guys!  Baseball's back and that means I am too.  You can't not keep a good man down. I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, Michael Pineda, came to camp overweight and was only hitting 89 mph in his first start.  Sounds like the Yankees may have another Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, etc on their hands.  Instead of costing them money this time, it cost them a potential future hall of famer in Jesus Monervo.  We'll see what happens, but this could be another one of cashman's blunders.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

" I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, ..."

Last year you saw thte RS winning 106 games, .. how'd that work out?

Sections
Shortcuts