Another Yankee pitching bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    Why would I delete my own post? Anyway thanks to Beni's response here it is once more. Welcome back Beni. Forum members who despised Beni last time should take notice that the thread title ends with a question mark and he uses the word "may" and "could be" and "we'll see" in his OP. He wrote in the same manner last time but the thin-skinned Yankee squatters in the forum didn't like him. Then one day J-Bay who is the backroom / under-the-table leader of the Yankee contingent in the forum wrote up a list of a dozen posters that the Yankee group didn't like and emailed it to Dottie the moderator. The next day there were a dozen fewer posters including Beni and yet Babe and Yazzer remained who were obvious trolls. Watch your step Beni, big brother J-Bay is watching you. A word to the wise should be sufficient. Posted by lowelll
    Posted by lowelll

You deleted it to lend credence to your claim I reported and/or had your post deleted. Lame, Pike, very lame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Regardless, the Red Sox would have traded an elite prospect for Michael Pineda if the Red Sox had an elite prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Regardless, the Red Sox would have traded an elite prospect for Michael Pineda if the Red Sox had an elite prospect.
    Posted by hill55

Agreed, but Montero isnt an elite prospect.  He's a generational prospect.

Personally, I dont make that move.  Too much variability w pitchers (which is why the top 10 players selected in a given draft are generally hitters).

Now would I trade Renaudo, Inglesias and Lavarnaway for Pineda?  In a heartbeat.  And had I made that trade, I would still be high on it (even after the velocity drop in his first outing).

But I wouldnt trade montero for him.  A catcher who can hit third in your lineup?  I'd take that over any pitcher in the MLB (except for maybe Kershaw and Verlander)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Welcome back Beni - this place sure did miss you. I am expecting nothing less than your best this year.

Pineda's change-up was awesome - watch out.

Hope you have been well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

"Time to panic? No, not really. As the 2011 season wore on, Pineda decided that it wasn’t in his best interests to come out firing at full velocity from the first pitch. He wanted to be more efficient early in games, so rather than coming out and throwing 97 and striking everyone out, he decided to ease off the fastball in the first inning or two and try to get some quick outs on the ground." - fangraphs article So, he took what he was extremely successful with...and decided to try something different? Ummmm, ok. Maybe. Or was he just trying to explain away his struggles? I'm leaning towards the latter.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Actually he normally hits about 95 mph. Reduction in velocity is normal for power pitchers in their first outing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Pineda will have to survive Joe Girardi’s poor record when it comes to keeping young pitchers healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

Welcome back Beni - this place sure did miss you. I am expecting nothing less than your best this year. Pineda's change-up was awesome - watch out. Hope you have been well.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Hello Jessey my friend.  Hope you are wll as well.  Unfortunately, Pineda's change up you refer to was actually his fastball.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    Hi guys!  Baseball's back and that means I am too.  You can't not keep a good man down. I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, Michael Pineda, came to camp overweight and was only hitting 89 mph in his first start.  Sounds like the Yankees may have another Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, etc on their hands.  Instead of costing them money this time, it cost them a potential future hall of famer in Jesus Monervo.  We'll see what happens, but this could be another one of cashman's blunders.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

Agreed, I didn't like the trade, but did you take a look at your own team's staff?

The experts claim that's a problem, but the Yanks pitching is in abundance. More of the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

May be too soon to label a guy a "bust" based on 1 outing.

Did we label Smiley a "bust" after his first post?

"Is this some kind of bust?"

"Yes, very impressive!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smileys_Back. Show Smileys_Back's posts

In Response to Another Yankee pitching bust? : Agreed, I didn't like the trade, but did you take a look at your own team's staff? The experts claim that's a problem, but the Yanks pitching is in abundance. More of the same.
    Posted by nhsteven

Hey Steven, I am only talking about Pineda, who appears hurt, much like David Robinson, who may be out for some time with a foot injury.  It looks like the Yankees may be the ones with injury problems like the Red Sox had last 2 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

May be too soon to label a guy a "bust" based on 1 outing. Did we label Smiley a "bust" after his first post? "Is this some kind of bust?" "Yes, very impressive!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Cause for some concern as Smiley said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

May be too soon to label a guy a "bust" based on 1 outing. Did we label Smiley a "bust" after his first post? "Is this some kind of bust?" "Yes, very impressive!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I was deemed a bust on one at-bat in little league..............And the designation was spot-on

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

The story of Mark Teixeira’s 2010 and 2011 seasons centers on overall disappointment. His batting average dropped precipitously, and it affected all of his numbers.

Unless he brings up his batting average, which will in turn prop up his other numbers, Teixeira will be seen as a disappointment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Hey Steven, I am only talking about Pineda, who appears hurt, much like David Robinson, who may be out for some time with a foot injury.  It looks like the Yankees may be the ones with injury problems like the Red Sox had last 2 years.
    Posted by Smileys_Back

David Robinson, the former NBA player? Or Robertson. the Yankee reliever? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : To lend credence to your claim I reported and/or had your post deleted. Lame, Pike, very lame.
    Posted by J-BAY

I think Pike enjoys this odd form of banter; it's his nature

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Cause for some concern as Smiley said.
    Posted by FortMeade

Smiley finds great pleasure in Yankee failure or even a stumble.

He finds cause for concern if a Yankee pitcher trips over the dugout steps. If he saw a bandaid on A-Rod's finger he might speculate that arm surgery is imminent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Smiley finds great pleasure in Yankee failure or even a stumble. He finds cause for concern if a Yankee pitcher trips over the dugout steps. If he saw a bandaid on A-Rod's finger he might speculate that arm surgery is imminent.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

ha! zilla ya big ol lizzard ain't it great that our boys are off and running down in fla and I am also happy to welcome the smiling one back to the best damn red sox forum in cyberspace.

glad to see you beni!
    a question for you two. how would it be if they changed sweet caroline to tesse by the dropkick murphys? I'm all in with that song.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Touche.  I'm also particularly suprised that he came to camp out of shape.  If I was Pineda, I would keep myself in tip-top form and do everything in my control to repeat last year's success.  Try to set myself up for a 100 million dollar free agent contract! If he's coming into camp out of shape already....what's going to happen after he gets paid.
    Posted by Drewski5

Pineda is a huge gamble.  Montero is obviously the real deal.  And, Pineda, while showing amazing stuff last year, was inconsistent and it is hard to determine if he will really put it all together and be a top-tier pitcher.  And, to boot, he had just enough success and shows just enough potential that, as a tender youth just out of his teens, it is entirely possible that his head is blown up Nuke LaLoosh style.  Perhaps this is the reason he showed up out of shape, depsite the obvious incentive to be all in that you mention.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Pineda is a huge gamble.  Montero is obviously the real deal.  And, Pineda, while showing amazing stuff last year, was inconsistent and it is hard to determine if he will really put it all together and be a top-tier pitcher.  And, to boot, he had just enough success and shows just enough potential that, as a tender youth just out of his teens, it is entirely possible that his head is blown up Nuke LaLoosh style.  Perhaps this is the reason he showed up out of shape, depsite the obvious incentive to be all in that you mention.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

He has already lost 8 of the 10 pounds. His upside is huge and he is trending to being one of the top young pitchers in baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : I think Pike enjoys this odd form of banter; it's his nature
    Posted by nhsteven

Odd being the operative word. He does it to provoke a response and bring attention to his cause. I wouldn't have feed into it if I hadn't realized he had deleted his own post to accuse me of reporting it, which I didn't. sad really.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Smiley finds great pleasure in Yankee failure or even a stumble. He finds cause for concern if a Yankee pitcher trips over the dugout steps. If he saw a bandaid on A-Rod's finger he might speculate that arm surgery is imminent.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Aren't there a number of posters on the forum these days who are exaggerating the Crawford and Miller injuries? Do they get a free pass in finding great pleasure in speculating Red Sox failure. It's a two-way street. We've had a whole winter of Georom trashing the health of Beckett, weren't you here for that? You seem to have a super tolerance for those who are continually showing fake concern for Red Sox perceived maladies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Agreed, but Montero isnt an elite prospect.  He's a generational prospect. 

I think that is unlikely if he can't catch. This has been discussed a lot, but if Montero is a DH...?

Some scouts aren't convinced:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20220303lavarnway_catching_on_sox_prospect_in_better_position/But

Several talent evaluators insist Lavarnway may be just as good a hitter. And although he never has been regarded as highly for his defense, many consider his catching skills to be superior to Montero’s.

I think it’s a pretty good comparison,” one National League scout said. “Montero, I know when we talked about him, we thought you continue to pursue catching the same way Toronto once did with (Carlos) Delgado, and at a certain point, maybe he’s Miguel Cabrera at first base. I think Lavarnway has a better chance of staying behind the plate.”

Too much variability w pitchers (which is why the top 10 players selected in a given draft are generally hitters).  true

But I wouldnt trade montero for him.  A catcher who can hit third in your lineup? 

Big question still!!!

Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : He has already lost 8 of the 10 pounds. His upside is huge and he is trending to being one of the top young pitchers in baseball.
    Posted by jesseyeric

deja Hugh(es) March 2011

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : He has already lost 8 of the 10 pounds. His upside is huge and he is trending to being one of the top young pitchers in baseball.
    Posted by jesseyeric

We shall see.  I agree that he has unreal upside.  But his second half was messy last year.  Of course that may be rookie fatigue, or getting out of rhythm because they were tightening the reins vis-a-vis innings limit.  OTOH, maybe people just started to figure him out seeing him a second, third time.  But, in any case, it clouded the inevitability of ace-hood for Michael.

Look, I am not saying he is a bust by any means.  I certainly fear that the Yankees may have found the successor to CC and that he could be a Sox killer for years to come.  

But, upside is upside.  And flashes of brilliance are only that.  The wayside is littered with phenoms with unbelievable stuff.  Pineda is at a crossroads.  

Sections
Shortcuts