ANOTHER YOUNG STUD SHORTSTOP WE JUST OVERPAID FOR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ANOTHER YOUNG STUD SHORTSTOP WE JUST OVERPAID FOR?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/12435/sox-sign-young-dominican-shortstop

theo seems to have a fetish for collecting and preying on young innocent stud shortstops. of course, there's iglesias, but there have been others including navarro and lowrie. even more if u want to include all the busts he's experimented with since the days of nomarrrr... when will we find a pedroia or ellsbury to just leave out there for the next 10 years and not  have to keep worrying about this position every other month or year? theo has a definite shortstop FETISH! he cant quit it, he neeeeeds some help!

this new kid seems promising. age 16 (in dominican years), switch hitter with some proven pop and great defenive skills. perhaps if he cant play ss, we can transfer him to another position of need. STILL IS HE WOTH $900K? and what will that do to his development and how will he handle all the envy and resentment inevitably to come his way?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: ANOTHER YOUNG STUD SHORTSTOP WE JUST OVERPAID FOR?

$900K is sofa cushion money to every MLB team.

The Rangers just paid $5mill to a 16yo kid after watching him hit a pitching machine and then skip facing live pitching.  And this is a team that was owned by MLB 2 years ago.

And where is all this "envy and resentment" crap from?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'll take the 900K.  Go ahead!  Envy and resent me all you want.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER YOUNG STUD SHORTSTOP WE JUST OVERPAID FOR?:
    [QUOTE]I'll take the 900K.  Go ahead!  Envy and resent me all you want.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Glutton!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/07/red_sox_sign_do.html

another 800k fo another of theo's fetish areas.. centerfield. looks like this guy has a better chance of making it as do most of the outfielders in a similar position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I'll take the 900K.  Go ahead!  Envy and resent me all you want.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

We already do for free ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/07/red_sox_sign_do.html another 800k fo another of theo's fetish areas.. centerfield. looks like this guy has a better chance of making it as do most of the outfielders in a similar position.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Actually it makes sense to focus on CF and SS.  Among 16yo kids, that is where the best athletes play.  And as these kids are 16, there is no point in worrying about position.

It's also a lot easier to take an up the middle player and convert him to a corner than the other way around...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ANOTHER YOUNG STUD SHORTSTOP WE JUST OVERPAID FOR? : Actually it makes sense to focus on CF and SS.  Among 16yo kids, that is where the best athletes play.  And as these kids are 16, there is no point in worrying about position. It's also a lot easier to take an up the middle player and convert him to a corner than the other way around...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

I don't understand the OPs problem. Theo isn't signing veterans -- he's signing prospects to build up the program. You never knwow who will develop.

This is not different than the draft. Because there is no international draft, each individual signing does. If he didn't go after these players, there would be all these threads ripping Theo for not being aggressive in signing these players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The OP author enjoys starting such threads. It's a fetish or a need to draw attention. The need is to be contrary and stir the pot. A Softlaw clone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Actually it makes sense to focus on CF and SS.  Among 16yo kids, that is where the best athletes play."

Exactly!!  That's where the best athletes typically are.

If you're going to talk about Sox SS prospects you have to mention Xander Bogaerts.  He's one of their best prospects.  Holding his own at Greenville and he hasn't even turned 19 yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I thought it hilarious that Orsillo said last night, that the O's have had a revolving door at SS.
    Pot calling the kettle black?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it hilarious that Orsillo said last night, that the O's have had a revolving door at SS. Pot calling the kettle black?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

A lot of teams have had revolving doors at SS during the same timeframe the Sox have.  That kind of thing is actually common and not a big deal, except among ignorant Sox fans.  The Giants and Reds are two prime examples.  And how many Blue Jay shortstops were there in between Felipe Lopez and Yunel Escobar?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]The OP author enjoys starting such threads. It's a fetish or a need to draw attention. The need is to be contrary and stir the pot. A Softlaw clone.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

It's also a little weird.  'Fetish'?  For signing SS's?  A hard to by position, and one where we are not strong?  We draft a lot of pitchers as well.  Is that a fetish?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

why can anyone criticize these types of signings?

these young guys will now get professional coaching on a year round basis as they physically and emotionally mature as baseball players.

if even one of these three young guys make it to the majors in any way, it will make all of this week's signings well worth the 2+ million spent in signing bonuses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hey , it's not all bad.

Theo could have a fetish for fishnet stockings and high-heeled shoes!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]$900K is sofa cushion money to every MLB team. The Rangers just paid $5mill to a 16yo kid after watching him hit a pitching machine and then skip facing live pitching.  And this is a team that was owned by MLB 2 years ago. And where is all this "envy and resentment" crap from?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I agree thats "piggy bank" cash to the Sox.  Everyone keeps forgetting Iglesias is only 21.  I would give the kid a little more time to develop before considering him a bust.

Sections
Shortcuts